Ozette Triangle Trail

Ozette Triangle Trail is a 8.6 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Sekiu, Washington that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

beach

cave

From Port Angeles, E 5 miles on US 101 to Highway 112. Right (west) for 49 miles to Hoko/Ozette Lake Rd. Left for 21 miles to the trailhead at Ozette Lake. There is a $15 fee for car entrance.

Great hike all the way around. Didn’t look at the tide forecast beforehand but proved you CAN do this hike when the tide’s high although it is more difficult. Didn’t see any signs of the bear and her cub that I’ve heard so much about but that doesn’t mean she isn’t around. Great winter hike!

Downed trees on the Sand Point leg of the trail, about half mile from the trailhead. Tall foliage makes it difficult to locate trail again once you go around if you’re short. Bear tracks on beach nearest the Sand Point trail leg/beach junction.

Super fun and easy boardwalk trail, we backpacked in and camped at one of the sites along the water, it was a blast. Didn’t do the full triangle, just an out and back, no time for the full beach section, but I’ve heard the petroglyphs are very cool.

Did the trail 12/23. There is a lot of down trees .5 mi in on the Sand Point trail leg making it very difficult to get around. Was an easy walk/hike with beautiful views along the ocean even though it was raining. The ocean leg of the hike slowed things down due to it being harder to walk on the rocks/sand/logs/seaweed. Saw 2 small black bears on the edge of the woods along ocean.

Hiked the Sand Point trail as an out and back. Wanted to do the entire loop but it was raining pretty heavily, high tide had come in and the presence of a mama bear and her cubs down the beach where we were going to go also made us reconsider. No matter. This trail is absolutely gorgeous and has everything. Majestic forests with towering trees, ferns blanketing the forest floor, ocean views. It is an extremely easy trail as it is an improved path and/or boardwalks all throughout. In the rain though, the boardwalk gets slick so use caution when walking (I even fell once walking slightly too fast). We definitely want to come back and do the Cape Alava Trail and then explore the beach at low tide. It’s kind of hard to get to as the roads are windy and there’s pretty much nothing else out that way but I recommend anyone to make the special trip.

Backpacked out here on 10/26, hiked in on the Cape Alava trail, then South along the beach. This is much easier to do at low tide! Be aware as of that day there is a mother black bear with two cubs who doesn't seem to be terribly afraid of humans. It's a beautiful flat trail with wonderful views of rock formations and the opportunity to see Petroglyphs. I'll definitely be back.

The middle section of this spectacular trail hugs the coastline and is dotted with hundreds of tide pools. There’s so much to explore that the hike ended up taking longer than anticipated.

Hiked to Camp Alava this August in the late afternoon and found a spot at the very end of the camping area. Pretty crowded. The trail itself was super friendly with the boardwalks and easy terrain. Day 2 I hiked to Sand Point. Camped early and enjoyed the beach for most of the day. This part of the trail, along the coast, I had to watch my step a little more, over rocks, driftwood and tide pools. Day 3 was a quick hike back on the other boardwalk. Beautiful and satisfying hike.

completed the trail in 2 days. spent the night at Cape Alava. overland trail by wedding rocks washed out in a section. handful of blow downs across the beach after wedding rocks. a few broken boards on the board walk going towards Sand Point.
Cape Alava has great camp sites. we fit 3 tents comfortably. Nice privys. We saw 5 raccoons, but non bothered us or our bear canisters.

We did this as a clockwise bike going to Camp Alava and beach hike to Sand Point on first day. Our route was determined to coincide with low tide and desire to camp at Sand Point. Not many folks at all but it was also pretty rainy weather.

Petroglyphs were amazing. Also saw a large female sea lion on the beach and very large male on the rocks about 100 yards from us. A black bear was roaming the beach at Sand Point.

We left Camp Alava about two hours after high tide and encountered several large trees to navigate under, over or around. Another hour and we could have just walked around them. It took about three hours for us to go from Camp Alava to Sand Point including some time at Wedding Rock to search for the petroglyphs.

Water was readily available at Sand Creek and although it definitely had color to it after filtering, it actually was very acceptable for drinking even without adding anything to it.

This was a beautiful hike in a remote area and we will definitely go back. As a side note, we found a lot of trash at several of the campsites at Sand Point. It was very disappointing to see the lack of respect some campers have for such a beautiful area. It was also a real eye-opener to see the large trash items washed up from the ocean -- mostly plastic, but also tires and even a row boat.

A magnificent place. So much beautiful nature to appreciate. The views change and astound all the time. The tides, fog, sun make a lot of difference. The boardwalk and the rocks on the beach can get slippery. A lot of driftwood on the beach. A truly amazing experience. Wooden walkways leading to the beach. On the beach between Sand Point and Cape Alava, at low tide, you can walk on rocks, seaweed and sand. The landscape and visibility change dramatically between high and low tide, and between a sunny and a foggy, cloudy or rainy day, which is very interesting to observe. There is an abandoned Makah - Ozette Ranger Station just north of Cape Alava which looks like it should be taken away, as it is quite an eyesore, but the nature and views on this trail are breathtaking. A great place to take in many great views of the seastacks and the picturesque Tskawahyah Island, and enjoy a lovely sunset sitting on a log on the beach.

What a great boardwalk trail through the forest! We hiked the loop trail counter clockwise that way most of the elevation was at the beginning. I say elevation, it’s hardly anything, but when hiking with kids, all these things must be accounted for. It’s good to have the AllTrails app on for gps for sure once you get to the beach part of the trail. The only bit that was a little confusing for others hiking around us were the bullseyes marking shoot off trails off the beach. Those trails led hikers around beach rocky areas that may be under water. After talking with a few other hikers, as long as the tide is out, it’s way better to just walk the beach. The only problem is hiking on the sand and rocks can get a bit tricky and the seaweed is seriously smelly! The fog was very thick when we hiked today. I was told by Friday that will have lifted.

We did the triangle over two days and one night spent at Sandy Point. We hiked to the point in the afternoon (a quick easy hike in) and set up camp.the area is beautiful and it’s hard to beat the tide pooling! The hike out the next day was beautiful! Be careful of the tides!

Great walk! A few more people than I expected, but great to see folks enjoying this wonderful stretch of land and sea. Take a meal and take your time.

Definitely different!! Be aware of tide changed and wear good enclosed shoes that grip well. Beautiful hike. Saw sea lions on rocks in distance. Long drive on curvy rough road to get there.

beautifully maintained boardwalk trails, easy beach hiking (watch your high tides). amazing sunsets

Idyllic and other worldy

Fun

route is very well defined which was great because I had to do the first leg in the dark.hike is nice and camps have great views of the mighty pacific this was a lot of fun.

On April 1st through the 2nd I hiked the Ozette loop, I made it along the video along the way you can find it here: Cape Alava, Sand Point, Ozette Loop Hike 2018https://youtu.be/Y6Ep3_yVMdk From the trailhead at the Ozette Ranger Station I hiked South to Sand Point where we set up camp and then continued south along the beach towards Yellow Banks. I reached the southernmost cape before yellow banks and turned around due to a high tide and I didn’t want to go over the top. That night there was a few rain showers and then it cleared up. I got up early on Monday the 2nd low tide was at around 8:30 I made a quick hike to Cape Alava that morning with a beautiful sunrise and made it back to Sand Point just in time for breakfast. After Breakfast I just hung around Sand Point and enjoyed the beautiful weather. Shortly after dinner I Left for the vehicles and a long drive home. Again here is the video I made along the way: Cape Alava, Sand Point, Ozette Loop Hike 2018https://youtu.be/Y6Ep3_yVMdk
Overall it was an AMAZING hike there where only 2 trees over the boardwalk.

Be safe out there,
NW Adventures

Overall it was an AMAZING hike there where only 2 trees over the boardwalk.

Be safe out there,
NW Adventures

Fun hike, easy to get to from Port Angeles.

Beautiful stroll / hike!! So many beautiful boardwalks. Camp Alva is a wonderful, well maintained campground. I think I saw 3 sites total. There is a creek for water if you need. Hung out with a couple local deer and bald eagles. The hike on the beach and rocks went well since I timed it with low tide. It's a quick backpacking trip. Would definitely do it again!

this Trail is very long. the way down is a boardwalk till you get to the beach the beach across to the next Boardwalk is the difficult part walking through the sand and over rocks but being able to see the Petra Clift is amazing you do have to look for it to be able to see it because some of them are slightly worn away. but definitely an amazing experience

Friday, December 29, 2017

Excellent condition

Saturday, July 29, 2017

Weather was beautiful. We found the petroglyphs, which don't have their location marked, so keep an eye out for them. They were very cool and fun to hunt for. The ocean rocks were awesome. Tons of bald eagles. It was a little tricky to find camp sites with legit fire rings.

Tuesday, July 18, 2017

A favorite for my family, we've made this trip for the past three years. The hikes from the station to the main camps are fairly easy. The beach hike takes a bit more work, obviously, but its mostly rocky terrain. Make sure you time the beach crossing for low tides, or you'll find yourself cut off. A filter is required, as both camps do have a creek. The water is drinkable when filtered, but is brackish.

Monday, July 17, 2017

We hiked all of the north trail and along the beach and camped at Sand point. The beach on the other side of the point towards the south is a lot more sandy and better looking. Pretty easy hike. Bring water if you dont want to drink out of the brown little creek that is there. We brought 1 gallon each and that was perfect.

Sunday, July 16, 2017

Can anyone let me know if the north trail to cape alava is still steep, muddy, and has the rope hanging before getting to the beach. I would like to know if it's improved at all? Or gotten worse.

Tuesday, July 11, 2017

Gorgeous and very easy hike to Cape Alava where we spent one night camped next to the beach. The sunset was amazing! The hike from Cape Alava to Sand Point was not easy, it is about 3 miles of hiking on the wet beach and also climbing under and over fallen trees.The last 3 miles are a breeze. We did see a lot of deer on the beach and also a black bear!