Ozette Triangle Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(165)
Olympic National Park

Ozette Triangle Trail is a 8.6 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Sekiu, Washington that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 8.6 miles Elevation Gain: 511 feet Route Type: Loop

beach

cave

From Port Angeles, E 5 miles on US 101 to Highway 112. Right (west) for 49 miles to Hoko/Ozette Lake Rd. Left for 21 miles to the trailhead at Ozette Lake. There is a $15 fee for car entrance.

I should not have relied on the info from these reviews. I drove the 21 miles from the main road to go on this hike only to find out that the entrance fee is $30 for a private vehicle. The $15 fee applies to anyone entering the park on foot or bike. The fee is good for a 7 day pass which admits you to other Olympic National Forest fee areas but I did not plan ahead so I opted not to hike the trail today. I don’t feel it’s fair to leave a star review without having done the hike but it won’t let me post this without so I’m choosing 3 stars

Great trail, I actually did this trail on Labor Day weekend and lucked out with no rain till the last mile. The wooded sections of the trail were great, quiet and peaceful. We started early morning so we had a very low tide, the beach was fun and I loved the petroglyphs. The smell of rotting seaweed (or something foul) and bugs were my least favorite. Take time to rest and eat at the top of the little lookout hill before you start your last stretch, Nice view.

The beach is super buggy right now and the rocks/sand are tough on the feet, but this trail is gorgeous. Really great campsites tucked back in off the coast and green, lush forests on the way out and back.

The north leg to Alava is steeper so we recommend going out that way and then doing the beach southbound. We did encounter a black bear on the beach just before Sandy. It was not aggressive but also not afraid at all, passing within 30ft of us on open beach as we made ourselves known.

I hiked the South leg and returned the South leg.

Great petroglyphs!

This is a great hike. Much longer than the signs says (9.2 miles) and more like 11 miles. Encounted a bear on the beach trail about halfway between Alava and Sand Point trails. Check ranger station for high tide info. If you are not up for the entire loop, take either trail to the beach and back up (6+ miles).

...all 3 sides of the triangle has its charm ... so it's not like you are just trudging out to the coast which was an added surprise! . but that coastline... boom! .. a sight to behold indeed!

Great trail. Get to see both tall trees and ocean. If doing full loop get TIDE schedule. Almost impossible to do at high tide. If only doing out and back do Sandy Point. Easier trail with the best beach at the end

Backpacked this over two nights (getting into backpacking so took it slow) July 16-18. Loved the trail, the beach is toughest. Trail from lot to Sandpoint is the easiest, we had a late start and started at night, the rainforest sections are boardwalk so can’t get lost, and is in mostly very good shape (and trail crews were arriving as we left). We hiked the beach portion at high tide, and this made it significantly more difficult, having to do rope work. It was raining most of the day, so there was a good bit of mud on the outlets, making it very slippery. The outlet where the petroglyphs are located is the only one that has a poorly defined trail, and is easy to get lost in, so low tide is really recommend (plus you can get around and see more of the carvings). We saw a bear, bald eagles, grouse and chicks, and deer around the beach and could hear seals or sea lions barking somewhere. A few places you have climb over some logs, or crawl under.

We did not do the whole triangle just the 3.1 mile hike to Cape Alava for our first backpacking adventure. The day was quite dreary and misting to a light rain. The overall trail condition was pretty decent. I had assumed it would be slick, but the only slick spots were the plastic boardwalk of the trail. There are a few spots on the boardwalks that had missing, loose, and twisted boards. There are some rocky portions of the trail, but nothing too bad as long as you’re paying attention. In some areas of the boardwalk/trail the foliage comes right up to it and it’s thick...hard to see through. Lots of stairs, some short, some tall. Also two bridges to traverse, a wide one with double railings and the other a log with one hand railing across the creek heading into the camps. There is a steep stair climb down to the creek, but there are a couple of ropes for help. On the trail we saw plenty of people, birds, a snake, a couple of cool slugs, deer, and a bear, although we didn’t fully visualize him. Bring plenty of water with you because when we crossed the creek (6/15/19) the creek was very low. The campsites at Cape Alava are all nice and level with their own campfire pits and very clean!!! We were fortunate enough to be greeted by the resident doe! Another plus for our campsite was an eagle nest up in the tree above us. Finding the drift wood for the campfire was a long walk up the beach by the old ranger station where we also found a dead sea lion. For our evening, we got the pleasure of watching five blue herons hunting, the sea lions grumble, and the eagles hunt, plus a blue jay visited our camp! We even did some beach combing and tidal searching.

Sat Apr 27 2019

Wonderful hike, plenty of great stuff to see. On the 6 miles through the forest to the beach itself. People warn to watch the tide chart, but even at moderately high tide it wasn’t that bad. The only reason I give this a 4 instead of a 5 is that there are better beaches for the effort near by. Shi Shi beach is preferable and not as much distance between parking and the beach. Still worth it nonetheless if you’ve already been to places like Rialto and Ruby Beach. Tip: The trailheads on the beach are not clearly marked, so make sure you know the map and landscape when trying to walk from one end of the triangle to another

Mon Apr 22 2019

Great trail to kick-off the season, some difficult parts scrambling over wet rocks and forging a river (although this was because extended the loop slightly on the north end and on the south end), which even at low tide can be up to your thighs but an all-around great hike with amazing views and great campsites.

Tue Apr 09 2019

Yesterday April 8 we hiked the Cape Aalava portion of the trail. Trail is very well-maintained. Trail is 50% or more boardwalk. We did get a lot of rain on the way back which created a lot of puddles however it never got muddy. Even though we chose not to hike to wedding rock’s. The landscape on the beach was gorgeous especially at low tide.

Mon Apr 01 2019

fantastic hike through coastal rainforest. I started too late and tide was coming in, so couldn't see the petroglyphs. check the tide schedule before going.

Tue Mar 26 2019

Amazing hike and a great way to experience the Washington Cost along with the Olympic National Park. We hiked to Cape Alava first and camped on the beach. While there was plenty of established sites, there were quite a few campers also enjoying the coast. I can see how this destination and Shi Shi as well are very crowded during peak season. Things to be aware of: Campsites at Alava are far better than Sandpoint sites. There are a few trees over trail on both sides,but nothing impassable. Pay attention to tide levels, as this can make the hike more or less manageable depending on what time of day you go. **If you’re looking to see the petroglyphs at Wedding Rock be aware that it is VERY easy to pass by along the coast southbound and not even know it (we did!). We spoke with two other hikers that were northbound from Sandpoint that told us we had passed the location about half a mile back, as the petroglyphs are on the south face of Wedding Rock and easy to miss if you’re coming from the north.

Mon Mar 11 2019

So so beautiful. I did a solo backpack up near the south ozette river campsite for two eves, then trekked down to sand point. There were some trees blocking some of the sand point leg of the loop, but nothing super difficult to get around. I couldn’t ford the river to keep heading north toward the seafield campground, which was disappointing, but I did love the privacy of the campsites above the river on the south end of Ozette river. A note, I had to head about 0.5 miles or so along Ozette river to get water to filter. There’s a trail that goes a while along up above the river. The campsites are a quick climb up and around. Watch the tides and slick rocks! It was a sunny and chilly weekend adventure.

Thu Jan 03 2019

Downed trees on the Sand Point leg of the trail, about half mile from the trailhead. Tall foliage makes it difficult to locate trail again once you go around if you’re short. Bear tracks on beach nearest the Sand Point trail leg/beach junction.

Tue Jan 01 2019

No, I didn’t get dropped in on my private helo or paraglide in. Nor did I fall from the heavens... I just forgot to start my recorder until I was well on my way as I was far too excited for my over achieving idea of starting the year with this trail under my belt - er, sports bra strap. Wonderfully moderate temps, and a rain free day were a perfect backdrop for wildlife encounters up the yin yang! Aside from the bear prints (I was aware of her presence on the trail prior to heading out - didn’t help), and the mess of fallen trees on the south leg completely swallowing the path, and requiring some trailblazing - thank you, K! - this was the most stunning way to kick off my 40th year on this rock :)

Mon Dec 31 2018

Super fun and easy boardwalk trail, we backpacked in and camped at one of the sites along the water, it was a blast. Didn’t do the full triangle, just an out and back, no time for the full beach section, but I’ve heard the petroglyphs are very cool.

Wed Dec 26 2018

Did the trail 12/23. There is a lot of down trees .5 mi in on the Sand Point trail leg making it very difficult to get around. Was an easy walk/hike with beautiful views along the ocean even though it was raining. The ocean leg of the hike slowed things down due to it being harder to walk on the rocks/sand/logs/seaweed. Saw 2 small black bears on the edge of the woods along ocean.