Oyster Dome Trail

moderate 881 reviews

Oyster Dome Trail is a 7.9 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Burlington, Washington that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and nature trips and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 7.9 miles Elevation Gain: 1,965 feet Route Type: Out & Back

cave

From the south, take the Larrabee State Park/Chuckanut Drive exit off of I-5 (exit 231) and drive just past the 10 mile post on Chuckanut Drive (SR 11) and park on the paved, wide place on the west shoulder. From Bellingham, take exit 250 and drive south on SR 11 about 12 miles to the paved right shoulder. There probably will be a string of parked cars, and there isn't much room, so come early. The Pacific Northwest Trailhead is on the east side of the highway.

One tree down on the trail and a little muddy at the top.

Hiked 2 miles up and back, no snow on trail, just one fallen tree I had to straddle to get over. Saw a mom with kids that blew by me twice, lol. Nice view at the lookout about 1.4 miles in. Not too muddy, either. I had a great time, but my knees did not.

Really great trail with amazing views at the top. The trail was a bit muddy in places and there were a couple of downed trees, but it was all very easy to manage. A great hiking option for winter time and finicky weather

Fun and easy trail. Got to Samish Overlook around 7:30 am and I was the only one there. Didn’t see anyone else until halfway on my way down from the top. Took about 3 hours round trip. Muddy but nothing too hindering and I was in running shoes. Weather was 30 degrees and sunny at the beginning but I was sweating about 20 minutes into the hike and never felt cold. The view at the top at Oyster Dome is amazing, but be careful to not slip on ice (I slipped, but avoidable if paying attention). I have a 13 year old beagle and he did great on the trail. The drive up to Samish Overlook is bumpy and full of potholes but most can be avoided. I probably wouldn’t make that drive up if it was snowy or icy but no issues today. Highly recommend!

Couple of downed trees and a few water crossings that are stronger and deeper than usual. All still passable and everything else is in great condition. No snow, no ice. Just wet. Didn't need to use spikes.

Went 2/1 great weather! No snow but slightly windy at the top. Views were beautiful!!

Great workout. Quiet. I went on a Fri morning when there weren’t a lot of people, which was great. Rainy and muddy, which I was fine with. Initially very foggy, but it cleared up just as I left and the view was spectacular. I will definitely be back and hopefully with less fog

icy

I cried. On the way up your feeling good then your realize you’re only half way and start getting pissed. By the time you reach the top the wind bitch slaps you in the face so you turn around immediately. On the way back down it’s slippery slope to hell, you sled on your ass all the way and if you dare to try and walk you are destined to eat shit at some point. By the end your ass is raw your lulus are shredded and you have lost four toes all while people with spikes, poles, and a brain are lapping you. Lesson learned don’t wear Nike’s in the snow.

Starts off with little snow but gradually gets snowier. Recommend spikes and poles for control and safety. Went up without them and took a bit longer than normal. Coming down was slippery and fun but sketchy at times in a few parts. Dress warm to thermoregulate. Top has a few feet of snow in places and is hard to climb due to amounts of snow.

icy

Great hike, enough signs!

Gorgeous the entire time. Quite steep

Hiked up at 8:30am Saturday morning. I was the first car in the “narrow strip along the cliff” lot. Could be because it was pouring rain. Not to worry, I had my new rain poncho, which worked well although I’m not sure it doesn’t look ridiculous. Anyway. I was alone for much of the hike up. It was wet. Super muddy. Quiet. Beautiful. Snowing at the top and all socked in with clouds. Did you know if you are wearing a poncho it doubles as a picnic blanket when you sit down on the wet rocks? So great. I didn’t use poles and only slipped once. The trail is squishy, but in very good condition despite the rain. This hike starts and ends steep. The middle miles are easy.

great trail. windy at the top.

Great trail. Beautiful day to work off too much Thanksgiving!

Great hike. It’s a good workout. There’s just too many people up there.

Is there any snow up there now? Any micro spikes or crampons required?

Parking is tricky! Road is narrow. Lots of people on this very popular trail. There is one viewpoint 1/3 of the way up that’s nice. The view at the top is truly killer. Reminds me of the view on the top of Orcas. You can see a lot of the San Juans, Olympic Nat Park and Canada, but otherwise you’re just plugging away through the trees, which is nice but not the back country. I recommend this hike on an off-season weekend. This October Sunday starting around 3pm wants wasn’t too bad but you should plans for 3 full hours. There is cell service the whole way, which is nice, but you will likely hear multiple people on the phone as they hike and at the top.