Oyster Dome Trail is a 7.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Burlington, Washington that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until August. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

cave

From the south, take the Larrabee State Park/Chuckanut Drive exit off of I-5 (exit 231) and drive just past the 10 mile post on Chuckanut Drive (SR 11) and park on the paved, wide place on the west shoulder. From Bellingham, take exit 250 and drive south on SR 11 about 12 miles to the paved right shoulder. There probably will be a string of parked cars, and there isn't much room, so come early. The Pacific Northwest Trailhead is on the east side of the highway.

Took my dog to the main lookout today. Gorgeous views and sunset. Started the trail from Chuckanut Dr at 1:44 PM and back to the car at 5:20PM. I started little too late. It got so dark the last mile before the car. But I used my phone flashlight almost to the car before totally out of battery. 8 miles roundtrip with 1900 ft elevation gain. My little pup American Bully was such a trooper

Be prepared to climb up hill a lot! The view on top was amazing. If you’ve never been here bring a camera or phone to capture the moment. It has some distance to it as well so be realistic with your abilities before trying this hike. I loved every minute of it and would recommend this hike to anyone reading.

Great hike. Easy overall with a great view! Super good for dogs!

I love hitting this trail with my dogs. Gorgeous Autumn color painted the forests. Blue waters mirror the sky. It’s heaven for me

Great workout, prepare to climb, climb, climb! I love this one for the ease of accessibility and crowds. I would definitely feel safe hiking this one alone and it’s also a great hike to bring out of town visitors on as it’s challenging and yet still doable, and has great payoff with beautiful views.

Love this hike, definitely a climb but so worth the view. Got up early and did it at sunrise, there was still a layer of fog on the water and the ship-man it made for a beautiful hike. It’s a challenge but a goody. Parking is limited so I recommend getting there early!

great training hike.
From Chuckanut it is much more difficult than from the upper parking lot or from the parking lot at barrel springs road.
great view from the top.

hard but amazing views and definitely its worth it!

Beautiful trail, great stop offs and candid moments. The top is silencing and you’ll wish you had a picnic dinner with you to enjoy it. Just stunning!

Great hike, gorgeous views. Reasonably crowded for a Saturday. There’s another lake you can venture off to on your way down. Took about 4.5 hours, with a break at the top and detour to the other lake.

Started this hike at the base, Excellent hike to get ready for my three months of wandering around the PNW. Great hike with two spectacular views of the Sammish Bay. There is little to no water in the trail so be prepared. Lots of switchbacks and footling changing going on in the upper part of the trail. Moderate is a good rating because of the elevation gains from the start and intermittently in the trail. There was logging going on in the area so it wasn’t always quiet on this hike. Enjoyed this trail either way.

Perfect year-round hike on a well maintained trail!

We hiked from the Sammish Overlook at 11:30 the Sunday before Memorial Day. Parking of course was crowded but was blessed with a center parking spot. The trail was in excellent condition and praises to all the canine owners (a lot of dogs) the trail was spotless and I loved seeing all the different types.
AWESOME trail, AWESOME people, AWESOME view!!!

hard but it's worth it!

Extremely great marine views on top . . Trail is in great shape. Moderate trail . .500 ft per mile . . Great for kids, etc. Fun family outing . . Great for out of town guests . . Hard to beat the view on a clear day.

Pretty challenging hike. I started from Chuckanut Drive so it ended up being
more than 5.1 miles, close to 8 I would say. The first few switchbacks were pretty brutal for me (not in the best shape ever) but the view at the top was worth every bit of it! Amazing!! I'll definitely be doing this hike again.

Summary lists this as 5.1 mile hike....DON’T BE FOOLED! LOL! It’s actually roughly 8 miles round trip. Trail was well maintained and steep, but the views at the top was well worth it! Also took a quick side trip to Lily Lake. So glad we did! A peaceful place to sit and relax for a bit before heading back to the TH.

Such a wonderful day for a hike! My friend and I tackled this trail from chuckanut, started early. It was not to busy then, very busy in the way down!
Also went over and did a few trails around lily lake!
My dog Nala was so happy to be out with us as well. And the views!!!!

awesome views, good climb

A good view at an outlook along the way and then the view at the end is amazing. Trails were good and dry. Bring bug spray; the mosquitos were plentiful.

Great hiking! It ended up being more like 7 miles round trip for us. Not too difficult to find parking but there was a lot of cars at the trailhead, and then when we got to the viewpoint there was way too many people there for my husband and I so we didn’t stay too long. Go early or late to avoid the crowds!

Great views, beautiful forest, very well maintained trail easy to navigate. Parking is very limited so get there early. Also note there is a separate route to Oyster Dome starting from the Samish Overlook parking area on Blanchard Mountain. It’s less elevation gain and a bit shorter.

Great views! Alternate between switchbacks and flat ish sections. Nice little detours too.

Parking was the only downside but if you a bit father from the trailhead there is a thicker shoulder on the road to park on!

We parked on the side of the road on Hwy 11. This route is 1.5 miles longer making your hike 8 miles round trip. It’s also much steeper with a lot more switchbacks that make you want to turn around. A few small creeks to cross but they were not a problem. At the 2 mike mark, you will come to a lookout point with a bench to sit down and have a snack. It’s a beautiful view and if you feel you need to stop there then that would be the place. If you have the energy, keep going. Once to the top of Oyster dome all the switch backs were worth it. It’s amazing up top.

The trail was well maintained and moderately trafficked. There are some slippery roots near the creeks so use caution. The view is worth the switch backs that will make you wonder how much further. But the switch backs are only .75 or less miles depending on where you are at on them from the sign to turn toward the dome. Which is only .25 miles from that! Use caution with small children and the dome edges .

Steep. Wet. Worth it.

Great trail and beautiful view. Get there early, by noon it’s hard to find parking.

The most beautiful trail yet!! We hiked up to Lily Lake first and then Oyster Dome. When we got back to my car, three people where paragliding. There was a little bit of snow around the lake but everything else was clear.