Oyster Dome Loop

Oyster Dome Loop is a 8.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Bow, Washington that features a lake. The trail is rated as difficult and primarily used for hiking, walking, and trail running. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This trail summits Oyster Dome via PNW, Samish Bay Connector, Oyster Dome and Max's Shortcut Trails.

Oyster Dome Loop Trail

Distance: 8.5 ~ 9.0 mi
Start: 7:15a
End: 11:10a

Parking: I arrived early to get a spot along Chuckanut Dr. I think it can accommodate about 15 cars along the shoulder. When I finished, I saw plenty to spots still open near the trailhead...so, your call.

TrailHead:
The start is at the school bus stop sign...really. The trail starts the accent immediately at a 15-20% grade (sometimes 40%). Granted you'll go through 4 switchback for about roughly 1.7 miles at about 1120 ft gain as you reach the first junction to go right to the Samish overlook or go left/straight up to the Oyster Dome (1.2 mi further to another junction). Keep in mind Oyster Dome peaks at 2080 ft after a total 3.1 mi...so another 900 ft gain to go from there.

Note: there are doing some sales activity so M-F the direct Oyster dome trail is closed (until 8/10/2018) and you'll need to go the Samish lookout way to get to the dome. Luckily, Sat-Sun it is open. I posted a pic here with the sign.

Continuing on, as I did the loop, I went towards the Oyster Dome, then up to Lily Lake (ehh - not really exciting), then back down Max's shortcut trail then Larry Reed trail to the Samish overlook. After a little break at the overlook, head back down to the earlier junction, and back to the Chuckanut trailhead.

Overall a good hike. Not many grand views from the trails, but ok from the Oyster dome and Samish overlook. Today the cloud deck was bad, so I didn't see any water....just peaks sticking out from nearby mountains. Neat in itself. I'd say this is a moderate plus rating.

ps. There were plenty of trail runners (students) and mountain bikers along Maxs shortcut and Larry reed trail. So expect company.

I decided to hike the Oyster Dome since it had been a few years since I hiked this trail. This time I decided to hike the loop for a change in scenery and I was not disappointed. There were quite a few mosquitos around mile 4 or so. My GPS clocked this hike at 8.6 miles all the way around.

The trail is in very good shape overall. It hasn't rained in a while so the trail was dry the entire way around. I hiked counter-clockwise around the loop.

Parking is always the big challenge with the Oyster Dome but you won't be disappointed if you go. Bring lots of water to drink if it is sunny because you will sweat a lot and you don't want to get dehydrated if at all possible.

Saturday, April 22, 2017