Otter and Big Creek Falls Via Taylor River Trail

Otter and Big Creek Falls Via Taylor River Trail is a 9.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near North Bend, Washington that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

I loved this hike minus the very rocky trail most of the time. A small incline going in. Not hard at all. Must follow the rock arrow formation and two red ribbon tags on the trees to get to the falls though. This hike took about 5-6 hours in and out.

Our family did this hike to Otter Falls and beyond over Memorial Day weekend. We had to ford two rivers with a 7 and 11 year old but they did it just fine and were able to avoid getting wet. We saw Otter Falls and kept going to the trailhead cutoff to Snoqualmie Lake. We skipped the climb all the way to the lake and stayed straight on the not-so-worn trail towards Nordrum Lake. There is an huge private campsite about .02 miles in from where the trail splits and it’s right on a river.

Relatively easy hike as far as elevation goes. We had fun crossing the streams, but we didn't have kids along so I can't speak to that. The falls were sweet and a nice end. The trailhead is for Snoqualmie Lake, I think. It was bit confusing, but we didn't have the map downloaded. With the map, we wouldn't have had problems.

This is the most beautiful waterfall I have ever seen. Pretty easy hike. A couple of spots you have to cross streams. My 14 year old didn't have any issue doing it although her mom was worried :)

I feel like the other reviews downplay the river you have to cross!! At multiple points, you have to jump on and over wet rocks to cross a river that’s maybe 2 feet deep. Ok for fit adults, not so much for kids. The peak is really great, involves a scramble up via bushwhacking. Follow the trail signs made of rocks towards the end!

Beautiful! Long flats hike, small hills, Scenes was beautifully, got to climb on the fall! ! Kids were crying on way back! Don’t bring little kids , very very long walk

gorgeous pnw icon. probably easiest 9 mile hike as not huge elevation gain. amazing otter falls await a quick scramble up at end. so worth it.

Easy beautiful hike.

Fun hike

Stellar!

Beautiful Mother's Day hike!

Great hike to a beautiful falls! A few stream crossings that aren't too difficult but you should feel comfortable with your balance. Trail up to Otter Falls is a left hand turn off the main trail and is marked with cairns and pink tape.

Ten mile out and back easy beautiful day hike. Low elevation until you get to the sign for Otter Falls, which takes you into the the trees straight up. Don't worry it's a refreshing 5 min (if that) climb that is truly rewarding.

great water fall with a lake at the bottom of falls
Lost my keys on the way

One of the most beautiful falls in Washington!! Pictures do NOT do this Falls justice!! Go just past Otter Falls about 3 minutes and see Big Creek Falls as well!! Amazing!!

3/30: Great hike! Took 4 hours round trip to otter falls. Most of trail with snow pack but with limited elevation, we did okay without spikes. We did put them on to hike the side trail to the falls. Thanks to the hiker who marked the trail trees with pink ribbon. Not far off main trail. Good workout.

This was a very nice, mellow hike that leaves you feeling like you did some work/got a healthy dose of exercise. Today there was snow on the trail (both soft and hard packed) and few people which made for a peaceful winter wonderland. You may want yaktrax for extra traction and icy areas.

An incredibly wet and cold day with snow flurries. Soaked to the bone for 9 out of the 10 miles. Navigated ankle deep creeks and falls many times and the trail seemed like 1 big puddle. Gorgeous scenery- just one waterfall after another. Never saw the turn off for Otter Falls and after 5 miles turned back due to shortage of time. I think we were so focused on the trail straight ahead we missed signs for any small unmarked side trail. Would be a great hike for the spring when the water is still flowing in the falls but a little warmer and drier.

Absolutely beautiful!

I loved this forest hike along the river. In September, the waterfall is nearly dry, but it's still worth visiting because of the lake, rocky cliff, and views of the mountains. This hike is easy to moderate, with very little incline.

This was a nice hike. Not much in the way of elevation. Someone was kind enough to mark with rocks where to turn off to see Otter Falls. It goes up in an area where trees are down. Not really a path just up. There was very little water but in the spring it should be amazing. You will want hiking shoes or boots as you will be walking on many rocks. We parked a half mile from the trail head because I like my car. It has big dips that trucks can handle. We did not have a problem with bugs.

Monday, June 12, 2017

The pictures do not do the waterfall justice!

Needed an easy hike for my sister who recently injured her knee. It may have been a tad too much for her, but it's a very easy hike. Good footing, not steep. The only steep part was cutting through the woods to get to the falls. READ THE TRAIL DESCRIPTION SO YOU KNOW WHERE YOU'RE GOING!!! Very easy to miss the turn off if you're not paying attention and don't know what to look for.

There were 2 major wash outs within the last half mile to the trail head that only high clearance vehicles and experienced drivers can navigate. But it's just as well as there isn't much parking space at the end anyway. We were in an AWD Jeep Commander and struggled to get through.

The are some loose rocks, but for the most part the footing is good. Much of the path is over grown with salmon berries. There are several culverts to cross which have high water levels right now. Not an issue unless you have issues walking across rocks.

I clocked 9.1 miles from the edge of the trail head to the falls and back, with an elevation gain of just under 800ft. We did it in 4 hours but we were really lolly gagging and stopped at the falls for a while. It could easily be done in 2hrs if you set a good pace. It would be a good trail to run because it's not steep at all.

It's pretty cool as you're under tree cover the whole way and next to a river. It was mid to high 60s today and we all regretted not bringing another layer.

The bugs weren't too bad, but you will want spray. Poles would be fine for the crossings if that's what you normally use. Not necessary the rest of the way. Runners/tennis are fine... But I recommend thicker soled shoes if possible due to the rocky path. Feet might get sore with the distant and that many rocks.

We arrived at the trailhead by 1430 and passed quite a few people coming back, but we were the last ones there.

Falls were really impressive! The rest of the way... Kinda boring... But still, a great home, especially for people not in great shape!

Monday, May 29, 2017

This was my first solo hike longer than 5 miles! Very happy I chose to do it! Beautiful views of the river and the falls are a real treat to view while taking a break before heading back. I arrived at the trailhead early and avoided the crowds. I will definitely do this hike again!

P.S. I strongly recommend trekking pokes when crossing water!

Saturday, May 20, 2017

Good spring hike. Creek levels are low enough to cross easily on rocks (trekking pole helped for balance). The road in still has a few unpaved sections, and these sadly have huge potholes that may be difficult for low-clearance vehicles.

Wednesday, October 05, 2016

The real story here is The new and improved middle Fork Road!!! So many great hikes and peeks with several hiking options along this beautiful " super hwy "... Not much to say about the trail itself… As of now, there is a lot of solitude and beautiful forest walks… I can imagine some of the creek crossings will be hard when the water is rushing… epic camp spots and swim holes all along this long and beautiful valley…easy to say in the least!!!! I didn't break a sweat in the 12 miles I did... This is a great way to sniff out those secret waterfalls

Monday, August 15, 2016

Easy walk to the falls. Not much water there this late in the season, but there are some places to swim on the way

Monday, July 18, 2016

Such a great day hike! Also, the trail up to Otter Falls now has more markings (a cairn and rock arrow).

Friday, February 14, 2014

Right now there is some water on the trail. A little bit of snow in a few places but other than that its pretty much slush from the trailhead to Otter Falls. Its pretty much like hiking through a small creek the entire way up. Some parts are of the trail are super soft too. Didn't see a single person the entire trek. Pretty rad!!

Monday, May 27, 2013

This is a great trail for all levels of experience. About a 10 mile round trip but the 2 falls are just great.

Thursday, November 29, 2012

cool trail, could be a thru hike with some lakes but we did an out and back overnight from the north bend side.