Oregon Butte Grand Loop Trail

Oregon Butte Grand Loop Trail is a 16 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Dayton, Washington that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, camping, and backpacking and is best used from June until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 16.0 miles Elevation Gain: 3,897 feet Route Type: Loop

I did the 16 mile loop from Panjab to mystery mountain trail to big turkey trial and back to Panjab. I added in some of the offshoots to make it a 2 night 2 and a half day trip. Note for backpackers, once you leave the Forrested section there is only 1 reliable spring right at the junction to go up to the Oregon Butte Fire lookout tower (Which was very cool). It is marked by a tiny aluminum placard. I saw a beautiful bull elk- a highlight! many groups out on labor day weekend, helpful forrest service ranger at the lookout. Careful of poison oak! Parking is $5 per day.

My boyfriend and I did this last June. We started at Panjab and went counterclockwise. The terrain is beautiful and variable. It goes from lush forest, to mountain top, to meadow, to rocky creek. The whole thing took us about 8 hours, with breaks for lunch and snacks. The views from the fire lookout atop the butte are gorgeous!

Sun Jun 24 2018

Started at panjab trailhead with 2593 in elevation gain first 4.5 miles then opened up to beautiful meadow. Tons of butterflies at low level and a gorgeous hike. Took 7 hours constantly moving.

Mon Sep 18 2017

Awesome trail. Took 1.5 days to do it. Many deer. No bears. Did the loop in mid september and it got quite chilly at night. Took me probably a total of 7 hours to do the whole loop going at a pretty consant rate with few breaks. The trail is muddy at points and there are a few trees fallen across. but nothing you can circumvent. Water is plenty up there, just bring a filter!

Tue Jun 13 2017

awesome trail run! Great view at the top!

Sun Jul 05 2015

My wife and I did this loop on memorial day weekend, it took us two and half days. There was a lot of fallen trees on the trail then, but not to hard to get over or under. We seen a few deer, and the marmots were active, no bear sightings this trip.We arrived at the trail head at 3:00pm Saturday afternoon, Walk, walk, walk, made it to Tee Pee camp ground at about 7:00 Made camp and had dinner. Sunday morning we set off about 7:00am to the wooden fire look out, walk, walk, walk, We seen a couple deer cool,walk walk. We hit the trail to the look out so we ditched our bags and trekked up the the wooden fire look out, beautiful scenery all the up and all the way around. Ate some lunch on the benches that are on the wooden structure before going on to Indian Corral, we got some awesome pictures on our way back to our bags. this next stretch was the worst with all the fallen trees on the trail. Both the wife and I were tried of having to navigate them over and under but we finally made it to Indian Corral at about 4:00pm. We made camp, dinner and ate some chocolate mousse and had some hot chocolate for the night. Monday morning was late to rise morning we knew that we only had about three hour to the trail head to meet our ride, so we relaxed and broke camp at about noon. we were back on the trail about 1:30 pm. It's always easier on the way down. about a mile or so before the Tee Pee Indian Corral junction we found the trail was almost gone, the wind took out a big tree that was at the edge of the trail. It was a massive root system. we made it to the trail head at about 5:00pm to find our ride waiting on us. They had arrived earlier that day and had a picnic to pass the time. It was a really great trip, we want to do it again soon!!

Fri Jun 15 2018