Olympic Hot Springs Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray Star(86)
Olympic National Park

Olympic Hot Springs Trail is a 21.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Port Angeles, Washington that features hot springs and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October.

Distance: 21.2 miles Elevation Gain: 3,166 feet Route Type: Out & Back

hot springs

partially paved

Road in may be CLOSED to vehicle traffic due to flooding/washout Open for pedestrians, bicycles, and dogs on leash Madison Falls parking area is open, parking is limited (trail has been changed to reflect this route. The first approx. 9 miles are paved and can be biked.) A short, fairly easy hike through moss covered trees leads to a series of hot springs scattered throughout the woods. The water is a great temperature, there is camping in the area (with free permits), and there is a chance for a secluded soak depending on which pool you choose to soak in.

bridge out

Bring bikes, don’t take the road when it tells you to take the path (follow the signs). Great option to workout and hike if you’re scared of heights! Most of the trail is just asphalt road :)

I’d like to start this off saying I’m absolutely beat. My feet are blown out. I don’t want to do another hike like that especially seeing how much a bicycle would have been the perfect tool for the gig. This should be a bring a bike trail only. I wouldn’t do it without one knowing what I know now. You will need to put the bike on your shoulder a few times but no biggie. The springs themselves are very cool. No one but me until I was on my way out. All the way back is secluded. Second or third one in is the largest from what I saw. Beautiful but I almost don’t think it’s worth hiking the whole way...

Snow last mile before the hot springs, but it’s packed down and easy to walk on. Overall road and trail are in good shape.

Sought out this trail to do some social distancing outside - the first four miles are more heavily trafficked with day hikers until you get to the dam. From here, it's mostly backpackers (us) and bikers, and they are few and far between. The entire trail is 10.4 miles one way. I'm a healthy and moderately active person and love long hikes, and this one was challenging with the backpack. It is a steady elevation gain the whole way. Make sure you pack light and wear hiking boots! My feet were killing me the last couple miles on the return trip so I can't imagine not wearing hiking boots. We were leisurely and took breaks on the way up and spent about 5 hrs hiking - it took us 3 on the way down. There were some snow patches in the last two miles, and some ice on the bridge at the end. It got pretty cold at night too, but we had beautiful daytime weather. The hot springs are .2 miles beyond the campground, and there are quite a few to choose from. Follow the trail all the way to the end - that's the best one, but it will likely be the most crowded.

We were a little misinformed about this trail! It is 8 miles of asphalt up to the Appleton trail head. Then a 2.2 mile hike to the hot springs! Amazing hike, fun creeks to maneuver through. While taking a bike to the top seems tough, it would have made our trek back to our car MUCH quicker and easier. I’m a pretty active college student and I will definitely feel this one tomorrow. The hot springs are perfect temps and so so so amazing. Total we spent 9 hours, ~8 walking and ~1 hour soak. Would do again with a bike!

This hike was awesome! I would call myself a moderate hiker and it took about 3 hours to get to the hot springs. Amazing views on the way up. Go early in the day so you don’t walk back in the dark (spooky). Snow was packed at the top a little bit icy at times. Once you get to the top the best hot springs are somewhat hidden and hard to find, so don’t stop at the first one you see!

icy

We biked from the parking lot to the hot springs trailhead and walked in the rest of the way. The only difficult biking portion wasscrambling over fallen trees on the Elwha river bypass trail (where the bridge used to be). As for the walking portion, several trees have fallen across the trail and almost the entirety of it is covered in snow. Still very doable but would have been faster with crampons/spikes. By the end, the snow was over a foot deep but had been packed down to make for easy walking. We briefly saw 2 other folks but otherwise had to the place to ourselves!

icy

Awesome hike! Like many others recommended, bring your bike! It will save you so much time! Part of the road is washed out so u do have to take an off trail section that leads you back to the road. Road is paved all the way to trail head for the hot springs but it is uphill the entire time.. we ended up pushing our bikes almost the whole way there.. but it’s a breeze the way back since everything is downhill! The trail to hot springs has snow, some spots as deep as a foot and a half and ice. Lots of mud as well. Very secluded hike we didn’t see anyone till we got to the springs. There was in total 8 people we saw the whole hike. Definitely recommended this gem and please people take your garbage back out with you!

Nice challenge on the way up, personally I did not feel comfortable when I was going by the landslide area that narrowed the trail. Since we got a late start that day the half bridge and the log bridge to get to the hot springs was unnerving. I would definitely do this again, though I will be waiting for dryer weather as well as longer daylight.

Overall nice trail/road up. Hard-pack snow the last mile or two. Most pools are only knee deep and not as many as I was expecting (maybe I didn't explore enough).But, the pool we went in was amazing. I highly recommend biking as the down is almost exclusively down hill. More challenging than I expected it to be, although I think it's because it was quite cold.

bridge out

I love this adventure soo much! I have made this a goal to complete at least 1x a year. Each time there is a different twist to the trail. This year, the first bridge washed out at the beginning so we had to go on the bypass trail with our bikes. I had never been on those side trails so It was a great opportunity to rally my MTB! These hot springs are not an easy hike or bike I'd say. definitely not for the weak at heart. But soo worth the challenge. The pools were amazing. a great recharge for our muscles and joints from the climb up. It took us about 7.5 hours round trip with a good 1.5 hour soak. Definitely great to make up lost time cruising down on bikes.

Wear comfortable shoes over hiking boots. Trail is 10 miles paved (except for 1/4 mile bypass detour), mostly all up hill. Then 2.4 miles wide soft trail with a few easy river and or bridge crossings. When you see the big wooden log bridge you have basically arrived. Best spring I believe was 3rd one on the left side under 2 towering black spruce trees. Low sulfur, deeper, and the perfect temp. Big enough for I’d say 5 people comfortably. I’d estimate around 104ish degrees compared to the first few. Maybe reviewer below was too blistered up to explore (smirk). Was a 12 hour day with 3 hours spent at hot springs. Phenomenal weather and day and I’ll be sore tomorrow no doubt. Day hiked it. Need a backcountry over night pass to stay in the campground near springs obtained at main visitor center. I slept in my truck night before at trailhead, had no issue. No camping allowed there.

bridge out

Since the road has been washed out for two years very little has been done to maintain the trail. Lots of washed out bridges and awkward climbs. The old damn was a cool thing too see. Both on the Dam and seeing it from the look out... kinda wished we’d turned back at the look out... Hot Springs are small and shallow and none to impressive. Definitely not worth the blisters

Trail is washed out about mile or so from the closed gate. There is a short trail to get around washout. I had to pick my bike up over some logs and push up some hills but it’s mostly paved road to the Hot Springs. It was a fantastic trip. The ride back is almost all downhill. I was flying down that mountain at speeds of up to 35mph.

Sun Sep 30 2018

September 30 2018 Road closed. 10+ mile hike to springs from road closed gate. We were time restricted and disappointed we couldnt do it. Road is washed out allegedly.