Olympic Coast South Trail is a 15.9 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Forks, Washington that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November.

Point to Point

beach

cave

This was an incredible adventure. We could have finished in two days, but we were uncertain about tide issues and frankly just wanted one more day! We started at Oil City and had Lori from Roadrunner Shuttle pick up our car. She stashed it at her house and delivered it to third beach TH Sunday morning. Call them! Reasonable and fantastic to work with!! We had never tried anything like this before and were a little nervous. A couple of the trail head markers were hard to find( Jefferson cove, and Taylors Point) there are really two important places where the tides determine if you stay or go and that’s at Oil city and Taylors pt. We were able to rent a bear van at Forks Outfitters ($65deposit and $2 daily) and register and pay for our permit at the trail head($8 per night per person) this was a fantastic hike. Good water at Mosquito creek, Toleak, Scott’s bluff, Third beach and the up and over between mosquito and toleak. Bring a filter, iodine doesn’t help this water. We actually saw zero people from thursdsy until Saturday!! Camping totally alone on mosquito beach! Saw baldies, deer, dead whale, various critters and a lone llama!! Do this hike! It’s so perfect. We also really enjoyed Mary Jane Organic trail pouches. Pasta and bare burrito were faves. Get out there!!

Just amazing.

Absolutely gorgeous backpacking trip. My son and I hiked from la push road/3rd beach south and back, spending 3 nights camping on the beach. Left our rental car there along La Push roadside with no problems. Its just an amazing coastline. Very humid so a campfire feels great to dry out by every evening. One of the most relaxing hikes we have undertaken. The overland passes with ropes/ladders were fun, and the variety of beach plus maritime forest made for interesting days. We opted for hammock camping on this one instead of our tent and that was a great choice. Saw very little if any wildlife but the tidal pools and scenery made up for it.

Sunday, September 10, 2017

The Olympic National Park coastal trails are magical, simply put. The trail was dry this day in Sept, but would have been more challenging when wet. Saw harbor seals, whale bones. No raccoons or larger wildlife. Know the tide restrictions and time your hike accordingly. The hike through the forest around hoh head takes longer than you might think considering down trees and many ups and downs. Give yourself plenty of time.

Sunday, July 02, 2017

What a beautiful trail! Started around 8 pm at third beach camped on the beach the first night. Then hiked to Toleak point the next morning. What an excited hike, climbing up ropes and ladders walking along side the beach was amazing! Camped at Toleak the next night. Full of life I saw dear raccoons, 20-25 bald eagles, and seals with pups. The tide pools are the best I've ever seen! It was so great I stayed another night. Hiked out the next morning some of the same rope climbs and ladders. Only thing is check the Tides don't want to be stuck on the rocks when the tide comes! I Highly recommend this trail it was Dope!

Saturday, June 03, 2017

Great trip. From Hoh river to La Push during 3 days (2 nights). Mosquito creek was easy to cross, and it was crossable at high tide very easily too.

Monday, June 01, 2015

Great Trail. Watch the tides. Wilderness permits are available at either trail head (Third Beach or Oil City). NPS requires you to have bear canisters for your food. These are available for free at NPS headquarters in Port Angeles.

Friday, May 09, 2014

Did this trail with an international group of about 11 people....at the end of Feb. 2013. Did it as a 4 day/ 3 night affair starting in the afternoon from the trail head just up the road from La Push. Pretty challenging in parts because of heavy mud on the overland. Heavy rains added to the task as there were several places where we needed to cross a long stretch of slick logs piled up. The final 3+ mile overland stretch was a bigger challenge than expected because I think at least half of the 1700 ft elevation change happens just there! Lots of muddy up and downs. Our final campsite was washed away so we had to tough it out to the end of the trail (where it finally heads inland along the mouth of the river) at night -- as we had to wait for the tide to go out in order to make it around the promontory there. Altogether exciting, breath-taking and would love to do it again (albeit during a better season & a more experienced group) but this is no simple "walk on the beach" for sure.

Wednesday, April 23, 2014

The whole coast is beautiful and would recommend all of the trails

Monday, April 14, 2014

I walked this trail with a couple toilet paper empty cores attached to my specs. I saw everything that appeared in those tunnels. Mud that wouldn't stay out of my shoes. sand. eagles. Brilliant sun and clouds in April 2014. Logjams, lots of green stuff. surf. sea stacks. ropes, ladders, sand. starfish, smooth stones, rough stones. I only fell through one rotted wooden plank.

This trip works best as a three day/2 night (minimum) trip from La Push to Hoh river and back to La Push to see all the stuff that only eyes in the back of your head could have. Unless you think you'll be as lucky as me, getting a ride from a fishing guide at the Hoh River and then catching a Community Shuttle in Forks back to the trailhead.

Advice:
Time your trip for late morning to mid afternoon low tides (seemed to work for me )
Wear shoes that will let the water drain out. Goretex shoes won't do that.
On the mud and the water: embrace it--avoidance just creates stress.
Cross streams at their widest point when you do cross (you really CAN wait for a lower tide.) Live to hike again.

Tuesday, November 12, 2013

I have done this hike as a two day and a single day in late October and Early November. Nice scenery, saw otters and a couple eagles as well as signs of several other varieties of wildlife. depending on the rain and tides some of the river crossings can be quite challenging, particularly with packs on. At least one was about waste deep and moving fast enough that it was difficult to stand. Also, you must mind the tides as some areas are not really passable if the tide is in.

Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Much easier than the North section. I use this for my winter hikes when the snow is deep in the mountains. The storms are magnificent! You will need a permit and you have to carry a bear canister for raccoons mostly.

Monday, October 25, 2010

Lots of people on this trail but everyone tries to give each other there space. Other than that, the trail is a cruiser, nice and flat with a few ups and downs... and the occasional cable ladder.

Saturday, September 23, 2017