Obstruction Point - Deer Park Trail

hardYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(54)
Olympic National Park

Obstruction Point - Deer Park Trail is a 13.9 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Port Angeles, Washington that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October.

Distance: 13.9 miles Elevation Gain: 3,244 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Note: If Hurricane Hill is closed when you go to the park, start from the Deer Park trailhead to try and avoid any potential traffic. Both the closure and the starting point will make it about a 5.5 miles out and back. It will end by coming back to Deer Park (instead of Obstruction Point). The trail is pretty steep at times on the DP -> OP route.

icy

Thought I’d squeeze in one more hike up Deer Park before they close the gate. (I would highly recommend checking to see if the gate is open; https://www.nps.gov/olym/planyourvisit/current-road-conditions) Such a beautiful day to be out! There’s some icy spots on the road to the trail more towards the top. The trail had some patchy spots of snow although out the first ~2 miles then the trail is completely covered and you start to gain a couple inches more towards the top. I didn’t need to use my spikes but I used poles on the way up and down. It was blue skies all day, only passed 5 people. It was absolutely beautiful!

I could not have asked for a better day to hike. It was absolutely gorgeous! Beautiful blue skies, I could see Port Angeles very clearly, and not a cloud to cover the mountain view’s. I didn’t finish it, I will be back. I did about 3.5 miles, had lunch and turned around. Took me 3 hours to do 6 miles. Really wasn’t to much elevation gain, there’s lots of level spots. Such a gorgeous hike!! I can’t wait to be back

Plenty of mushrooms, flowers, succulents along the way. I started at Deer Park and turned around at 2.4 miles. A sweet deer joined on the trail on the hike back.

Hurricane Hill was closed when we went to the park so we started from the Deer Park trailhead to try and avoid any potential traffic. Both the closure and the starting point turned out great! We hiked about 5.5 miles out and back - not an easy hike but the views make it very worth while. Ending by coming back to Deer Park (instead of Obstruction Point) was also much easier - the trail is pretty steep at times on the DP -> OP route so having to do that after already having hiked several miles would e been tough. Highly recommend!

Amazing gorgeous views...❤️

This was a long and rather challenging hike for someone who lives/runs and works out at sea level. I loved the change in terrain after the first 3 miles in the forest. Through the forest you will find amazing mushrooms this time of year (August). After the forest you head to a more rocky area, with amazing views of the mountains and some lakes. We didn’t hike all the way down to Obstruction point since we noticed there is just a parking lot, and a lookout, rather than that we climbed off trail and found a neat glacier tucked away. Would recommend but make sure to have snacks, bring water and sunscreen! Half the hike is unshaded.

trail in good condition, come back when there's no clouds

Lovely hike. Stunning company, elusive views. Good wildlife viewing.

Stayed at Deer Park Campground, took off from there and hiked 14 mi round trip. Did not make it to the trail intersection with obstruction point Road. Lots of wildflowers in bloom. Saw a quail doing it's mating call behavior. Jaw dropping views.

Sun Sep 23 2018

Harrowing car ride down and then back up Obstruction Point road; especially when having to back-up on one of the narrowest parts to let another vehicle pass by. Started at Obstruction Peak and planned to hike out to Maiden Peak at mile 4 and then return. We ended up turning around at mile 3 due to a slanted, narrow trail over shale scree where you could slide off the side with a steep drop off. After getting through that, there was a turn out area when you can sit and hyperventilate about having to return that same way. We would have continued if the trail didn’t appear to take a sharp turn downward where we could not even see where the trail went. Views were okay, but not outstanding. Perhaps they get better beyond what we saw.

Sat Aug 11 2018

limited camping along the way. outstanding scenery, not for the light hearted

Mon Jul 30 2018

Amazing views offset any negatives this trail offers. Expect lots of steep climbs and descents and lots of horseflies if you're going in the summer. Despite the "heavily trafficked" notation in the trail description, parking was easy and we didn't pass many other hikers on the trail. Definitely recommend.

Mon Jul 23 2018

I did probably 3/4s of this trail total, from Deer Park to around the fork for Obstruction Point/Grand Valley. So, not fully completed, but enough to call it absolutely worthwhile. From Deer Park you'll start by going downhill for around half a mile, and then start heading uphill pretty hard for maybe 3 miles through forest, until you get up on the mountain ridges. From there it's a bit easier but still plenty of uphill. It's also completely exposed at that point so you'll want to bring sunscreen for the sun and potentially extra layers for the wind. Once at the ridge you'll have spectacular views of the surrounding mountains and valleys. Depending on the day you may even end up above the valley clouds which look really cool. If you get far enough (past Roaring Winds) you can even find patches of snow in July. The Roaring Winds campsite is about halfway across, and I highly recommend it. It's a single, reservable campsite so at the end of the day you'll feel like you have the entire range to yourself. At least on the day we stayed there the wind was not roaring at all so it was a bit buggy, bring some spray. It's at around 6000' so you'll see some spectacular stars at night as well. We had one deer bug us for a while, seemed like he probably had feasted at the site before. After roaring winds you start going steeply uphill for a while, and the trail gets very narrow and slanted. It worked out fine overall but I was a little concerned about coming down it on tired legs, so just be prepared for that. Overall had an amazing time with some incredible views of park's glacial lakes and mountains. It's a long day hike but definitely worth it, at least to Roaring Winds.

Tue Mar 20 2018

This is a great hike to camp 1/2 way at Roaring Winds. Three spots available. End up at Deer Park for camping, relaxation and wait to get picked up.

Mon Oct 09 2017

Great trail, with incredible views and great wild flowers depending on the time of year. Despite what this page says, pets are NOT allowed on this trail. There on only a couple trails in Olympic National Park that allow pets. They are the Peabody Creek Trail, Madison Falls, The Spruce Railroad trail and the beach from South beach on north to Ruby Beach. Other wise pets are not allowed on any trails. They are allowed in the parking areas and picnic areas.

Thu Jul 06 2017

My husband and I drove to Obstruction Point (not an easy drive at all!) Be prepared to take your time as there are a lot of tight turns. There is a Ranger Station and a clear trailhead marker that connects Obstruction Point trail to Deer Park trailhead. We went 4 miles out to Roaring Wind camping area. (8 miles out and back since we did not bring enough for a full 14 mile hike.) What an incredibly beautiful hike! There were wildflowers all in bloom and quite a few different areas of terrain. Lots of gorgeous views as you hike along the ridge line. I would recommend bringing a hat and sunscreen as a lot of the trail is in full sun.

Mon Jun 26 2017

Great hike. Excellent views on the ridge stretch from Maiden Peak to Elk Mountain. Still some snow patches to cross that should melt out in about another week. Get there early to beat the crowds and the heat.

Sun Mar 05 2017

Very dramatic and rewarding views on this hike. The first half is nice, but it really opens up with views into Grand Valley and Badger Valley about halfway through. It can get windy up there; and I suppose quite often. I would love to hike this when it isn't a gorgeous and clear summer day, too. When the visibility is good, you'll have plenty of reason to stop all of the time and look around on this trail. That gets difficult sometimes because of the trail condition. When I hiked this trail in late August 2016, I encountered parts of it that were in need of some attention. The closer you get to Obstruction Point, the more the path narrows and becomes populated with scree. I really wanted to go back there and shovel off the scree that was beginning to flow over the path for a few miles. Bring some trekking poles and take your time.

Mon Sep 26 2016

Beautiful hike from the get go. The beginning section which consists of a sliver of a trail around Obstruction Peak was a bit scary for some in our group.

Mon Aug 22 2016

This hike was beautiful. The first half mile or so was downhill (which made for a difficult ending on the way back!) followed by a moderate incline until you make it out of the forest. Once you get there the views are incredible! We went about five miles out before turning back and got great views of the water and olympics, despite the fires to the south which made it pretty hazy. We went on Saturday and the lot was pretty full by 10 AM. I plan on going back!

Fri Aug 09 2013

Not sure what to say. This trail gets used alot for good reason. It's easy to get to, the views and wildflowers are breathtaking, and it's instant gratification which is what most people are looking for.