Northrup Canyon

Northrup Canyon is a 6.1 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Electric City, Washington that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 6.1 miles Elevation Gain: 826 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Not to much shade and mosquitos are assholes at this place that’s why 3stars but it’s still a cool place to explore

The canyon is beautiful and the homestead is really neat but I got attacked by mosquitoes even with bug spray on which made the hike kind of unpleasant. I was jogging back to my car. Wear appropriate big repelling clothing if you go.

This trail is badass! Mind you, I went off the beaten path a bit, I got my eye set on a huge Butte that over looked the lake, so I found a way up and my dog followed. Sat enjoyed my lunch and enjoyed the stunning view and great weather for this time of year. :) My only downfall, was as I was sitting beside the one tree on top of this rock, I quickly was greeted by the largest hawk I have ever seen! So hiker beware... it's nesting season and Hawks are very territorial

Fri Sep 21 2018

My husband and I did this hike to see the Northrup homestead. Shortly after starting the hike we encountered a fork. The right fork is an old wagon road which is closed to accommodate nesting eagles for several months a year starting in November. The left fork looked to be the easier. The trail is generally exposed although at times we walked through cool forest. There are several stands of aspen on this trail. Perhaps 1/3 mile in, there is a muddy area about 15-20 feet that we slogged through. We could hear Northrup Creek to our left and eventually came to a bridge crossing the creek. Also at this point, we began to see meadows. Shortly after crossing the bridge, the trail was routed to the tail of the rock falls from the cliffs above. This made for unsteady footing but we manage to stay upright for the duration. As we walked along the edge of rock falls, the meadows opened up and were lovely. We arrived at the homestead which was our goal. Having read the Northrup family history, we both wanted to see their homestead and try to understand how they came to this barren part of the state and chose this site between the cliffs created by the Glacial Lake Missoula mega-flood. There is a house that is obviously of a later date than the settling of the homestead, so I'm guessing the original farmhouse is gone. There was what appeared to be a chicken house, an outbuilding that appeared to be a work building, and an outbuilding that was dilapidated. Behind the house, there was a tilting structure that we determined must have been a grain silo. Also behind the house is an old fence with a sad little bird house which was missing its roof. An apple tree still stands next to the house and had one lonely apple left on it. As we looked out over the meadows, we understood why they settled here. The creek was a water source for the meadows which produced fruits, vegetables, and flowers, which they carried to market. The views every step of this hike are simply spectacular! If you want to continue to Northrup Lake, the trail continues past the chicken house and the lake is a little over a mile further. I highly recommend this hike.

Mon Jul 23 2018

April 2018 My pup and I hiked seven miles to find the perfect spot for a little Ponderosa Pine to start its new life in Northrup Canyon. As an Earth Day tradition we’ll come visit it every year and plant it a new friend to keep it company. The trail was hot even in April and it was my first encounter with a Rattle Snake. In fact we saw a gopher snake and water snake as well on our hike that day. Keep in mind it is only 3 miles to the homestead and back. If you want to see the lake you'll have to add on another four all together for seven miles total round trip.

Sat Feb 03 2018

nice hike, 2 dogs and my 6 year old brother.

Wed Oct 04 2017

end of September nice hike with my dogs but returned to a bee covered car ...yikes!

Thu Aug 24 2017

Who would have thought that Grant County has trees. Nice little secluded canyon with a lake at the very end of the trail. Lots of Gardner snakes at the lake. Saw a number of Bull snakes on the trail, but no rattle snakes, but I'm sure they have them in that area. Before reaching the little homestead there's nice creeks with small falls. Good easy hike until you reach the homestead. More hills and loose gravel at places on the last 2 miles before reaching the lake. The homestead is a good place to pinic.

Mon May 15 2017

Very hot, so take lots of water! Be mindful of rattlesnakes! I ran the rattlesnake gauntlet, dodging them as I heard their rattle along a 10' foot bridge over a small stream! Scariest thing I have done. LOL

Fri Apr 07 2017

A wide variety of terrain. Glad we hiked it this early in the season. No rattlesnakes.

Fri Jul 29 2016

The homestead is cool but the lake was more like a tiny pond and a bit lack luster after a hot hike.

Sun Apr 03 2016

My 3rd time hiking this trail. Love the old homestead, the views and the lake. However, hate the rattlesnakes!! Last time a dog with us got bitten by a snake, this time, we saw two snakes on the trail. Part of the trail before the homestead is flooded, people made a trail in the brush. This is where we saw the first snake. Be careful if you hiking in this area. After this time, we won't go back.

Sun May 03 2015

Thoroughly enjoyed it. Kids even made it to the lake! Not a difficult trail and easy to follow. Will definitely be returning, this time with my fishing pole.

Tue Jun 24 2014

Went back the next day and found the trail to the homestead. When the trail goes left or right stay left , the homestead is a easy beautiful walk . very glad I went back !

Mon Jun 23 2014

This hike was beautiful but staying on the trail was a real pain. Could not find the homestead or lake . Will need to try this hike again.

Thu Aug 23 2012

Good views out over the canyon and river. Good early season hike.

Tue Oct 04 2011

I did this with a big group of people who were camping together at Steamboat Rock. We only made it to the old homestead, and we were practically eaten alive by mosquitoes. To see pictures and read the whole story, click on my blog.

Thu Jul 07 2011

This is my favorite hike so far this year. The trail is well marked and is easy to hike for the most part. The scenery is gorgeous and you may even see some wildlife. The trout lake at the turnaround is amazing. There are trout jumping all over the place. It is a perfect place for a swim and lunch. I would highly recommend this trail to everybody except small children.

Mon May 16 2011

My son and I did this trail as our first of the season hike. Neither of us had been here before and it was truly beautiful. The first part (up to the Northrup Homestead site) is quite easy and a great warm-up for the rest of the hike. From the homestead to the lake is quite a bit harder, but very do-able and interesting. We hiked through narrow places between rocks, and wide open meadows with wonderful views of the canyon walls. The trail ends at a small lake that was jumping with fish. We watched them as we enjoyed our lunch before heading back. The trail condition was great, although very small children might have more difficulty than my experienced 8-yr old did. (There were several steep climbs with loose rock.) We spent about 6 hours exploring the canyon and did not see one other person the whole time! Trail is well-marked and easy to follow. Be aware of rattlesnakes--we saw three! Bring lots of water as there isn't much available on the trail. Reasonable camping is available at Jones Bay Campground on Hwy 155. It is much cheaper than Steamboat Rock State Park and less crowded. (We were the only ones camped there for most of the two-night stay.) If you go soon, you may have a great find--we lost our GPS somewhere along the trail! :-(

Fri Jan 28 2011

My rating is definitely biased in the big scheme of things. This place has great sentimental value to me though for several reasons not worth mentioning here. I've hiked here, biked here and climbed here. One of the best, most fun climbs of my time living in WA (98 - 05). I stood in one spot one day and saw 25 bald eagles in the trees and on the rocks above me. I really miss WA.

Thu Oct 18 2018