Northern Loop Trail

Northern Loop Trail is a 29.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Parkwood, Washington that features a lake and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking and backpacking and is best used from July until September.

Dick Creek Camp lies at 4,080 feet next to the Carbon Glacier moraine. Two miles north and 1,440 feet below Dick Creek camp the trail reaches the completion of the Northern Loop. At this fork the right side leads to Yellowstone Cliffs Camp. The left side of the fork crosses the Carbon River and returns to the starting point at Ipsut Creek.

This trail is beautiful, but I didn’t get a chance to experience the whole of it. My itinerary started at Sunrise, with plan for first night at James, then on to Yellowstone Cliffs, Dick Creek, and Granite Creek campsites. The West Fork of the White River was running too fast and I decided against a dangerous crossing with 2 kids. I arrived at the river ~4pm and the crux of the crossing was sucking hard on my boots. We rested near the river until 4am the next morning to reasses, but the night was fairly warm and the drop in river level was not enough to make it crossable to a family (approx 3-4 inches). As a 200lb person, I’m confident that I could’ve crossed, but it would’ve been sketchy I had no safe strategy for the rest of my family. So we walked out and got to experience a double-helping of Grand Park, Berkeley Park, the mighty mountain and Burroughs in snow flurries. I’ll be back, but either earlier or later in the season.

Did this one solo last summer. it was AMAZING! Worth all the the work for certain. It was almost like backpacking through 3-4 different micro climates. One trip I'll never forget.

We did this hike last year and it was amazing. Tons to see and the campgrounds were pretty nice. Not crowded at all.

Monday, September 01, 2014

this was an amazing hike. i love to power hike. i did the 40 miles in 1 day 10 hours with a backpack that weighed in at 49 pounds :). this was one of my favorite power hikes ever, i started at sunrise at 8am and started on my long 21 mile journey to Cataract valley. beautiful flowers everywhere, i loved the openness of the fields. this is like a mini wonderland it has so many ups and downs through the entire loop. when i came to Yellowstone cliffs i saw a mamma bear playing with her cub out in the field. they looked at me and just walked away :). finally made it to Cataract valley at 9pm and camped there. day 2 - got up at 8am, packed up and headed on my way back to sunrise on the south side of the loop, had some lunch at Mystic lake and then was back on my way. i got lucky and had both days be 100% sunny, finally made it back to sunrise at 6pm.

Friday, August 16, 2013