North Siouxon Creek to Black Hole Falls

North Siouxon Creek to Black Hole Falls is a 9.8 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Ariel, Washington that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 9.8 miles Elevation Gain: 1,578 feet Route Type: Out & Back

From Yale Bridge Road (highway 503), turn east at Healy Road, which becomes FR 54 at Tumtum Mountain. Follow FR 54 for about eight and a half miles before veering uphill to the north at the first yellow gate marking the recreational easement. The first uphill climb is a little rough as it's been graded with larger rocks, but after passing the second yellow gate, signed to say a Discover Pass is required, the road evens out for a much smoother ride. Zigzag up a northeasterly climb, cross a couple bridges, navigate a couple questionable forks in the road to an unmarked trailhead, recognizable only by the log-lined pullout at the elbow in the road and a bullet-riddled "Discover Pass req'd" sign. The #1000 Road to the trailhead parking spot is 5.5 miles of gravel road with potholes along the way - best driven with a 4WD. Half mile markers are sprayed on tree trunks and seem reliable. The road up crosses a wooden bridge, then two concrete bridges. The parking area at the trailhead is at the top of a road climb shortly after the third bridge and wide enough to accommodate 8 cars.

This is a great trail! Plenty of parking at the trailhead. The trail offers a lot of lush greenery to enjoy on this well shaded hike. Don’t forget your camera. The end destination is worth getting a early starts so you can enjoy some time at the fall’s. I also really enjoy all the obstacles along the trail, creek crossing, small man made foot bridges, and log crossings.

Started late in the day and wanted to be back by dark, so we didn’t make it all the way to the falls and had to turn back, unfortunately. Did find a nice spot by the river with a campfire ring made of rocks that looked like some had made a fire fairly recently (campfires aren’t allowed). Trail gets a bit steep in spots and was a bit slippery going downhill since it had been raining on and off that day. Really nice, secluded area with a trail that’s only a bit consistently maintained but workable.

bridge out

The drive to the trailhead is not bad at all. We brought our truck based on some of the comments but I totally would drive my Honda Accord on that road. The trail leaves a lot to be desired and is in pretty bad repair. I wore shorts and short sleeves and got pretty scratched up. The falls were beautiful! The last part of the trail, closer to the falls is much better. Even then, two of the little bridges are falling apart and need to be redone.

bridge out

The trail needs lots of work. There are lots of ups and downs but it’s doable. The problem is the overgrowth and parts of the trail that is sliding down the hill. The falls at the end are beautiful and the pool at the bottom of the falls a gorgeous green. I wore shorts and shirt sleeves and both my arms and legs are covered with little scratches, some big enough to bleed. I got pictures and don’t know if I’d do it again. There are so many other beautiful places to see.

Great Trail overgrown in some spots. Really narrow trail in some spots, and others wide. A few falling trees across the trail lots of uphill and downs. It's a very nice hike they I saw no one for the six hours I was there. It's a long Gravel Road to get there a couple of hills with a 9% increase to get there. I did it just fine with my Outback. You're required to have a Discovery Pass to park at the trailhead

Solid up and down hike, water level was low given the time of the year. There is a lot of creek crossings, would have been better in the Fall or early Spring. I'd go back.

Tried to get there according to these directions....the road was horrendous with HUGE rocks. Turned around, didn’t want to bottom out. I would NOT attempt this without a HIGH clearance vehicle.

Hiked on 6/6: road to TH was fine, some pitrun but overall in good shape. Need a Discovery Pass and no bathrooms at TH. No bugs yet. Trail is in great shape although we did not see any signage at junctions. This hike is full of ups and downs in elevation and not steep. We didn’t use trekking poles. Ran into the gentleman who maintains the bridges out of sheer kindness. Quite a few foot bridges that he has laid down roof tile so as not to slip and also ropes for “handrails”. There were a few streams that we easily jumped rock to rock and one huge log to cross a creek that was a little slick with moss. Most of the hike is canopied forest. Very serene and beautiful. The falls at the end are absolutely amazing-hanging rock gardens surround them and the water is crystal clear. This would be a perfect hike on a hot summer day.

Maybe one of the most beautiful waterfalls I’ve ever seen in the PNW. The pools at the end of the trail are crystal clear and gorgeous. Although the trail is listed at almost 10 miles, it’s quite easy. I very much recommend this one

Great hike! We went on a weekday and didn’t see anyone else the whole time we were there. As others have said the roads in are a little rough. There are 2 routes to get to the trailhead. The route we took there was through NE Healy Rd and FS-54. This route wasn’t bad at all. Leaving I thought I’d try the other direction that exits onto Lewis River Rd, that was a mistake. It’s quite a bit of a rougher rd with large gravel. If you have a car, which we do, you have to go pretty slow. If you have a truck though it won’t be a problem. Reading the comments there’s a little bit of discrepancy on the distance to Black Hole Waterfall. Both of our gps trackers had a distance of just under 5 miles. Round trip the total distance was 9.9 miles with 2219 ft elevation gain, which corresponds to the topographical map. The hike itself was definitely a good hike! Not a difficult hike. Lots of streams, bridges to cross, variation in landscapes, and the waterfall at the end is pretty awesome.

Fantastic hike! Up and down on clear trails. It was just difficult enough to be a challenge while still being enjoyable. Lots of fallen trees to climb over and bridges to cross. The woods and streams were beautiful. We went to the big waterfall at the end and it was well worth the hike! In total, the tracker I used said we had gone 9.78 miles so I think the distance is correct. Definately go do this hike!

I loved this trail. Very quiet, I didn’t see anyone until I was most of the way back to my car. The falls are beautiful, and the trail was only muddy in a few spots. None of the river crossings were bad either, so an overall enjoyable experience! The road up also wasn’t bad. It would probably have been easy if I was more experienced in driving in gravel (and not in a 2000 camera!). I would recommend using the offline map feature on google maps. There are a lot of interconnected roads out there.

bridge out

Hiked on 4/13/19, just over 11 miles. This was one of the more interesting trails I’ve done recently because it was well defined, but had many challenges. Lots of down trees, muddy sections, creek crossings with logs/sketchy bridge/no bridges, or nature just decided it was going make a new Creek by opening a facet out of the hill and the easiest path down for the water was trail! Take warning to previous post about gps having issues getting in and make sure you pay attention so you can get out. This hike took longer than we thought because there were so many side waterfalls to look at with the runoff and rain. Plan on extra time so you’re not trying to find your way out in the dark!

bridge out

This was actually 12.6 miles from trailhead to falls and back, not 9.8! The trail had many trees to climb over, and many of the small waterfalls require balance to cross with the water levels high. One bridge was washed out and we had to build our own. Saw an owl, there was fog, and the waterfalls were gorgeous. Ended the hike absolutely soaked, so it was a good one :)

This trail is definitely not maintained. When driving up the gravel roads pay very close attention to how you get up to the trail because you will most likely lose phone service and there or a bunch of forks in the road, all roads look the same coming back down. The trail head marker is broken down and Forrest growth is covering it shortly down the trail. When I went on a 70 degree, sunny day, we were the only people on the trail the entire time. We passed quite a few spots with a lot of deer poop. One of the forest parts was also eerily quiet, not even bird chirping that was throughout the rest of the trail. On the way back out we actually saw large poop that had fur in it. We were guessing looked like cougar poop and it was close to the trail and easily happened that day or the day before. Come with other people, pack essentials to be safe. Be prepared to cross many log bridges that don’t have rails. When you pass the log that has a rope you’re close to the falls! The falls are also gorgeous.

Hiked this trail mid day Saturday and for the 4 hours it took me to finish I didn’t see one other hiker. Definitely a plus and the waterfall is beautiful

Sun Nov 18 2018

This is a beautiful hike.

Wed Sep 26 2018

Great Trail.. loved the waterfalls..

Sat Aug 25 2018

Just got back. No bugs, which was a real plus. We had the entire place to ourselves and didn't see a single person on the entire trip. The place is just gorgeous and if you head to the top of the falls there's a Jacuzzi style water hole that can swim in.