Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

North Siouxon Creek to Black Hole Falls

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(123)
Ariel, Washington

North Siouxon Creek to Black Hole Falls is a 9.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Ariel, Washington that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 9.8 miles Elevation Gain: 1,578 feet Route Type: Out & Back

From Yale Bridge Road (highway 503), turn east at Healy Road, which becomes FR 54 at Tumtum Mountain. Follow FR 54 for about eight and a half miles before veering uphill to the north at the first yellow gate marking the recreational easement. The first uphill climb is a little rough as it's been graded with larger rocks, but after passing the second yellow gate, signed to say a Discover Pass is required, the road evens out for a much smoother ride. Zigzag up a northeasterly climb, cross a couple bridges, navigate a couple questionable forks in the road to an unmarked trailhead, recognizable only by the log-lined pullout at the elbow in the road and a bullet-riddled "Discover Pass req'd" sign. The #1000 Road to the trailhead parking spot is 5.5 miles of gravel road with potholes along the way - best driven with a 4WD. Half mile markers are sprayed on tree trunks and seem reliable. The road up crosses a wooden bridge, then two concrete bridges. The parking area at the trailhead is at the top of a road climb shortly after the third bridge and wide enough to accommodate 8 cars.

Wow! This trail kicked my butt but the view at the end is worth it. Trail is a little overgrown and has lots of ups and downs. Overall it was good though, be prepared for a heck of a workout though. I also recorded the trail closer to 11.5 - 12 miles just as a heads up

This recording is only from way out....approximately 11 miles round trip if you detour to the side trails to the other water views. Stunning and worth the trek but it’s also more elevation than the record as well. Wa trail association records as 2500 ft gain

fee

This was a great trail. Lots of steady up then downs on the trial. I’d suggest hiking poles for anyone with less than great leg strength to ease some of the incline. Lots of fun water crossings and beautiful wooded scenes. The falls are INCREDIBLE!

I hiked today 5/16/2020 and it’s was great. My garmin recorded 4.85 mi to the falls and a total of 9.7 RT. We planned to get rained on but it never really did. Perfect weather for so many ups and downs. I was in the look out for any place to camp and I didn’t see any when you get to where there used to be a sign stay right and you’ll go down to the falls. Not sure where the other way takes you. Maybe I’ll have to venture that way next time.

If you are familiar with other Siouxon trails this will be familiar. It is rolling hills lined with soft pillow like pine needles. You'll cross a few small creeks and some larger ones but all crossings are stable and the bridges are in good shape. The hardest part of this whole trail is just getting to it. When I loaded in directions from AllTrails it navigated me to the other Siouxon (more popular) trail. Luckily I'm familiar with it so relied more on my gps map and the description given here. It's a good long gravel road with plenty of rocks. The waterfall is a nice touch at the turnaround. Like most waterfall pics it feels much bigger in person so it's pretty awesome to get right at the base and hang out for a bit.

We hiked as a family of 5 with our dog (kids ages 9,12,15). A beautiful hike with fun river crossings, nothing too complicated or hard to manage. There are lots of ups and downs, so while cumulative elevation gain is minimal, the kids were sure to let me know what they thought! Roller coaster style. Probably at least 20 creek crossings, so plenty of water for pups! Very few people on trail...the hardest part was all the turns on unmarked roads to get to the trailhead. We ended up following Waze to the trailhead as the written directions didn’t match. While we were in a highlander, I think my mini van could have handled it too....it’s all comfortability of course. it’s worth noting that mentioned sign to falls is no longer, and neither is the sign at beginning (it’s lying down, and the most you see is a map, but no trail name). we loved this hike and would do it again!

flooded

Loved it

flooded

Very muddy with some slip and slide areas. There are a few bridges, but also lots of river crossings without many sturdy rocks. Must have waterproof shoes and good balance.

Great trail, no snow on trail or roads as of 12/22/19. Did not encounter a single other soul all day. Looks like a trail crew was thru recently and did some clearing and updating of bridges. Streams are full so extra thankful for that! We had no problem at the crossings with three adults and a dog. Conditions were pretty muddy at some points. Waterfall was epic!! Trail continues on but we turned around then.

This is a great trail! Plenty of parking at the trailhead. The trail offers a lot of lush greenery to enjoy on this well shaded hike. Don’t forget your camera. The end destination is worth getting a early starts so you can enjoy some time at the fall’s. I also really enjoy all the obstacles along the trail, creek crossing, small man made foot bridges, and log crossings.

Started late in the day and wanted to be back by dark, so we didn’t make it all the way to the falls and had to turn back, unfortunately. Did find a nice spot by the river with a campfire ring made of rocks that looked like some had made a fire fairly recently (campfires aren’t allowed). Trail gets a bit steep in spots and was a bit slippery going downhill since it had been raining on and off that day. Really nice, secluded area with a trail that’s only a bit consistently maintained but workable.

bridge out

The drive to the trailhead is not bad at all. We brought our truck based on some of the comments but I totally would drive my Honda Accord on that road. The trail leaves a lot to be desired and is in pretty bad repair. I wore shorts and short sleeves and got pretty scratched up. The falls were beautiful! The last part of the trail, closer to the falls is much better. Even then, two of the little bridges are falling apart and need to be redone.

bridge out

The trail needs lots of work. There are lots of ups and downs but it’s doable. The problem is the overgrowth and parts of the trail that is sliding down the hill. The falls at the end are beautiful and the pool at the bottom of the falls a gorgeous green. I wore shorts and shirt sleeves and both my arms and legs are covered with little scratches, some big enough to bleed. I got pictures and don’t know if I’d do it again. There are so many other beautiful places to see.

Great Trail overgrown in some spots. Really narrow trail in some spots, and others wide. A few falling trees across the trail lots of uphill and downs. It's a very nice hike they I saw no one for the six hours I was there. It's a long Gravel Road to get there a couple of hills with a 9% increase to get there. I did it just fine with my Outback. You're required to have a Discovery Pass to park at the trailhead

Solid up and down hike, water level was low given the time of the year. There is a lot of creek crossings, would have been better in the Fall or early Spring. I'd go back.

Tried to get there according to these directions....the road was horrendous with HUGE rocks. Turned around, didn’t want to bottom out. I would NOT attempt this without a HIGH clearance vehicle.

Hiked on 6/6: road to TH was fine, some pitrun but overall in good shape. Need a Discovery Pass and no bathrooms at TH. No bugs yet. Trail is in great shape although we did not see any signage at junctions. This hike is full of ups and downs in elevation and not steep. We didn’t use trekking poles. Ran into the gentleman who maintains the bridges out of sheer kindness. Quite a few foot bridges that he has laid down roof tile so as not to slip and also ropes for “handrails”. There were a few streams that we easily jumped rock to rock and one huge log to cross a creek that was a little slick with moss. Most of the hike is canopied forest. Very serene and beautiful. The falls at the end are absolutely amazing-hanging rock gardens surround them and the water is crystal clear. This would be a perfect hike on a hot summer day.

Maybe one of the most beautiful waterfalls I’ve ever seen in the PNW. The pools at the end of the trail are crystal clear and gorgeous. Although the trail is listed at almost 10 miles, it’s quite easy. I very much recommend this one