North Head Trail

North Head Trail is a 3 mile out and back trail located near Ilwaco, Washington that offers scenic views and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and trail running and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 3.0 miles Elevation Gain: 600 feet Route Type: Out & Back

11/27/19 Beautiful trail. I wouldn’t call this trail easy tho. Moderate for sure. Trail has lots of ups and downs, if it’s been raining expect a lot of mud, beautiful forest scenery, lots of huge, old trees, you be too busy looking up or down since there is also lots of mushrooms, Keep you eye out for amphibians, we saw 3 tree frogs only.

Awesome trail! Saw bald eagle and deer! Trail reminded me of fern gully. So freekin cool!!!

Nice trail in the lush forest with a bit of a view to the ocean. The trail has a lot of up and down over tree roots, but nothing too difficult. Beautiful pathways and stairs. I found some parts a bit narrow and overgrown. I kept running into cobwebs and eventually just got a stick to try to keep them from my face, but so it goes. I saw lots of cute frogs, slugs, snails, and a few snakes. Extended the hike up to McKenzie Head at the end, which is a very short uphill jaunt to a WW2 battery with views of the nearby lake, beach, and ocean.

Good trail. Lots of shade. Felt like the longest 1.5 miles to the end but ran back and much easier. Hills but manageable.

We did this trail with our kids, and it was a slow pace. However, the trail was easy to navigate, and beautiful scenery. It had rained the night before so there were areas that were slick and muddy, but nothing terrible. Definitely would recommend.

Muddy but improved with steps, bridges, boardwalks. Lunch at North Head Lighthouse (under renovation). Saw a spotted deer & lots of salamanders.

Mon Aug 20 2018

Beautiful trail I suggest adding the McKenzie trail to this for a workout.

Mon Apr 09 2018

Nice and easy trail. I’d consider it a little on the technical side given all the roots and the amount of slippery mud.

Sun Jun 18 2017

We are absolute beginners, both having lost a lot of weight and still working on upping our activity level. I don't know if I would rate this hike "easy" for middle-aged duffers like us, but it was easy enough. We didn't make it all the way to MacKenzie Head, but that was because of mud on the trail, not because it had gotten too tough for us. I would do it again. But bring bug repellent! The mosquitos were nasty.

Sun Jan 22 2017

Very fun hike! Took my 2 and 4 year old it took us a little over two hours but all in all was a great hike! we got sprinkled on at the end which felt amazing as it was a difficult hike back up the hill.

Wed Jun 22 2016

It was awesome. I'll do it again....

Tue Oct 15 2013

Loved this area. Spent most of the day checking it out. Bike trails, hiking, 2 light houses. Interpretive center. History of the fort/battery. We need to come back with the kid and dogs. Beautiful day to hike. Lots of different types of mushrooms.

Sun Apr 28 2013

We don't usually car camp, but I have to say we liked this place so much we stayed an extra night to finish all the trails in the area. Could not believe how many salamandars there were. Had to be very careful where we stepped. Awesome woodfire pizza at the store next to the entrance. Definitely coming back again in April. The park hasn't fully opened so you are able to really appreciate the place without crowds.

Sun Jun 17 2018