North Head Discovery Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(72)
Long Beach, Washington

North Head Discovery Trail is a 14.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Long Beach, Washington that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 14.5 miles Elevation Gain: 367 feet Route Type: Out & Back

beach

partially paved

This is a beautiful walk or bike ride with views of Cape Disappointment, the Long Beach Peninsula and the Pacific Ocean. The main trail is a very well maintained bike path that does get some pedestrian use. Interesting landmarks along the way including Clark's tree and a grey whale skeleton.

Beautiful trail with rolling hills. Biked the trail with 4 teens. There are several areas along the trail that open up to the beach if you want to take a break and explore. We saw a bald eagle, deer, snakes, and a cave. There are some tight steep turns I could foresee being dangerous and potential for crashing if bicyclists/pedestrians aren’t cautious. I would say the northern 1/3 of the trail have steeper inclines if you are considering riding with smaller kids. Otherwise, it was a fun and peaceful trail from beginning to end.

This trail was amazing! So many pathways along the trail to reach the beach. Will definitely be riding this trail again.

Awesome trail, beautiful views of the Pacific Ocean!

Fri May 03 2019

Fast bike downhill.

Sun Mar 03 2019

biked some of the trail today, what a great ride

Wed Aug 29 2018

Very nice ride for a family with little kids. Our 5 year old enjoyed it. He made it about 9 miles.

Mon Aug 20 2018

I take parts of this trail daily it’s easy & pretty. Ive spotted lots of deer, shore birds, whales and bald eagles depending on the season.

Thu Mar 15 2018

Right out my front door. The perfect trail for a multitude of outdoor activities.

Sat Aug 12 2017

great ride, lots of sights and smells. enjoyed long beach when we finished.

Mon Jun 05 2017

BEAUTIFUL!!! We loved it, and found it to be our favorite trail so far.. nice rolling hills along Ocean front scenery with smooth riding..you come along many photo worthy locstions..we went to the light house, which is up higher into the hills, and over nice walking bridges.. even fun net coming back down:) about a 16 mile loop.. DO IT!

Mon May 29 2017

Beautifully paved biking and walking path that winds and rolls through the dune grasses and low woodlands. The ocean waves are constantly in view, and we saw lots of birds and a couple of deer. We started at the Beard's Hollow trailhead and rode easily for about 45 minutes, encountering only a few other cyclists and walkers, and stopping for a delicious lunch break at the Pickled Fish Restaurant at the Adrift Hotel in Long Beach. Perfect relaxing day. Will definitely do again.

Wed Mar 01 2017

I ran the whole trail from Breakers all the way up to the lighthouse and back last weekend. It was a beautiful sunny day with picturesque views. I look forward to running the trail again and again and again. Very easy run with a little bit of a challenge heading up to the lighthouse and lookout at the Cape. Highly recommended!!!

Fri Feb 24 2017

loved the ride. i thought it was easy and there were multiple places for beach access. I will do it again.

Sat Nov 26 2016

Longboard friendly!

Thu Sep 08 2016

Beautiful ride! NICE pathway. Great scenic views of the beach!

Thu Jul 14 2016

Beautiful trail perhaps a bit monotonous. Really well maintained cement trail. You can see the beach only as you get closer to ilwaca.

Tue Jul 05 2016

Loved it!!

Thu Jun 23 2016

It was the best bike path I've ever ridden and it was more fun riding back becuz it was all downhill.

Fri Aug 22 2014

The Northend trail head is located on 26th just off of Pacific Hwy. just follow the Doscovery Trail sign then the Monument Tree sign. Sort of misleading since it's right beside an apartment complex. The trail is very well maintained! No tree roots, dog or horse manure when we were there. We even sighted a lone deer then later a mama deer with her 2 baby fawns. This trail does connect over to Cape Disappointment State Park. I brought my mountain bike for this trip but will definitely come back with my road bike!!

Thu May 29 2014

Makes me wish I had a bike!

Thu Aug 22 2013

This trail offers well maintained trails, easy access to the beach, and mostly paved trail. The trail was also very easy with little steep inclines. At the trail head there was a bridged area that you can walk on, that could have been at once a pond, but now it contains a lot of deer, and possibly coyote pawprints. I would reccommend this trail to anyone looking for an easy, but accessible, and achieving hike.

Sun Apr 07 2013

I ride this trail on a regular basis now that I moved to Long Beach. Love the ride to Beards Hollow. The ride is flat and the views are supreme, especially Beards Hollow. I posted Picture so you can see for yourself. For longer rides you can ride on to Discovery park and visit the light houses and continue out to Illwaco at the port for nice views of the Columbia. I moved here because of these rides.

Sun Sep 02 2012

This is a great bike ride with stunning views of Cape Disappointment, the Long Beach Peninsula and Cape Disappointment. The path is very well maintained.