Noble Knob Trail

Noble Knob Trail is a 6.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Paradise Inn, Washington that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and horses and is best used from July until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 6.9 miles Elevation Gain: 1,246 feet Route Type: Out & Back

TRAIL TEMPORARILY INACCESSIBLE FROM TRAILHEAD: Road 7174 Corral Pass closed due to resource damage from the Norse Peak fire. A nice hike into the Norse Peak Wilderness with fantastic views of several Cascade Volcanoes This is a great alpine ridge walk just outside of Rainier National Park in the Norse Peak Wilderness. This isn't a killer climb as there is minimal elevation change thus the views are attainable for the whole family. The trail is easy to follow all the way to Noble Knob around Mutton Mountain which you can also run up if you'd like.

closed

Had so much fun hiking this last Sunday. The road up was a bit snowy and I won’t doubt it will close soon. It was also SUPER hard to get to without getting lost (do not listen to navigation). Turn left on road 70 about 1.5 miles after Greenwater. Then, keep driving until you reach a spot where you turn right at the sign that says “72”. After a bit on that road, you will reach a fork where you can go straight-right, straight-left, or hard right. Go straight-right. Follow that road and you will end up turning at a yellow sign on your LEFT that says “burn area” from there you will go to the trail head that appears to be a snowy road at first but then turns into a trail. IT IS NOT MARKED.

Great hike. Found an alternate way to access thanks to the info visitor center just down the toad from the Crystal Mountain Resort. See my posted pic for details.

I love this trail! I hike it a few times a year and it's a great hike to take less experienced hikers or people visiting the area because it's not too difficult or long, but long enough. There are beautiful wildflowers and panoramic views. One can also add about a mile round trip by taking a little side hike down to George Lake which can be seen from Noble Knob. It's a pretty little lake that I sometimes swim in on a hot day. The area around the lake is filled with wild huckleberry bushes which yield tons of tasty wild huckleberries in August.

Had never hike this trail before but found this a great hike. Quite a few wildflowers are out like Bear Grass, Paintbrush, Penstemon, Lupines just to name a few, plus the view from Noble Knob of Rainier and the surrounding area was absolutly beautiful, loved it.

really foggy today, hiked through the clouds. not much for views but peace and quiet was there, very few people out.

Mon Nov 12 2018

Took the dalles ridge trail or northern approach due to the road to the coral pass entrance being closed. If you look that trail up on the app it will give you exact coordinates to the trail head. Trail head is on the side of the road and not marked at all except for a little green marking tape on a tree, but the coordinates in google maps took me straight to it. Overall, a gorgeous snowy hike on a beautiful sunny day. About 4 miles to the top and stunning views all around!

Tue Sep 18 2018

You can add four miles to hike and start at the bottom where the road is closed. Don’t waste your time. Most is through burned area. Much better options around.

Sun Jun 17 2018

Decided to check this one out today and found a very well maintained dirt road. We started at the Dalles Ridge trail head.Trail was easy to follow except for one large snowfield about 1.5 miles in. luckily there was great reception and we were able to follow to follow the map to guide to the other side. There were a few trees down over the trail prior to the snow field but the were easily stepped over or walked around. After that the trail was great until you could see your end point. then there was one more snow patch that covered the trail and was very steep. We took it slow and made it past that to a great view. we were so busy looking at the fire damage and views on the first half and all the scenery on the second we didn't even realize how far we had hiked once we reached the end.

Sat Sep 02 2017

This trail is amazing. I started at the Coral Pass- Noble Knob trailhead. The gravel road is kind of rough I did it in a Jeep without trouble. 4wd or Awd is probably best. There are 2 trailheads... go to the further one by the picnic table. The trail is very narrow so I wouldn't say its kid friendly. Has amazing views that it took forever to finally get to the end but we got there and the 360° was worth the work to get there. It's gorgeous.

Mon Aug 28 2017

This was an amazing hike! It was somewhat challenging, with a few moderate elevation climbs. We received conflicting info about the distance of this hike. We thought we were on a 5-ish mile hike. It's NOT! It's 7+ miles. We drove to Coral Pass, in a Chevy Spark (tiny, fwd car) with no problems. We took it slow. No 4x4 needed this time of year (this was our 2nd trip up this particular Mt. road in our tiny car with no issues). There were so many places to take pictures, and soak in the amazing scenery. Bees, berries, and flowers all along the trail. The bees didn't bother us too much, but we were camping nearby, and I had sprayed my clothes with an Essential Oil based insect repellent. We passed other hikers, dogs, and a few mtn. bikers. It was a bit dusty, but it is a mountain trail. #naturerules

Sun Aug 27 2017

This hike was very scenic with so many places to take incredible pictures. The 6 mile road up to the trailhead on Corral Pass is rough, I'd recommend an all wheel drive or a 4x4 vehicle to get up...but I'm sure a car without those options can make it going slowly. There were a lot of bees of all varieties constantly buzzing near us, even walking at a quick pace.

Wed Aug 23 2017

This was a good hike with nice views. The road up to the trail is very rocky and narrow with multiple switchbacks so be prepared. The hike it's self is pretty easy, I little longer then stated, I clocked in at 8.2 miles. The views of Mt Rainier are amazing and then you go into the woods and come out to another amazing 360 view when you reach the top! A few mountain bikers but not much traffic at all. Nice hike overall.

Wed Jul 19 2017

Stunning views and the alpine and wildflowers smell amazing! Great hike to take your four legged friend.

Thu Jun 22 2017

Our first attempt to reach the trailhead was via Corral Pass Rd. Unfortunately, the gate is still closed. We turned around and tried the other access point and were successful. We hiked in through Dalles Ridge, and about a mile into our hike, snow took over heavily shaded parts of the trail. Without proper spikes, the melting snow was quite slippery (with a drop off on one side), so we decided to turn around. The drive up to the trailhead was still enjoyable and mostly dry. This trail may need another week or two before the snow isn't such a hazard. The trail is still doable if you are brave and have proper spikes!

Tue May 23 2017

We were super excited to go on this hike because the sun finally decided to stick around and the snow melted. However, we tried access from Corral Pass Rd and there was a locked gate that prevented us from doing that. So we went a few miles back to try the hike from Dalles Ridge, but a couple miles from the trailhead, our subaru got stuck in snow. There was tracks for a while, but the road eventually turned to all snow. I'd say probably a few weeks before this hike is accessible. There's a lot of shaded areas preventing the last bit of snow melt.

Wed May 17 2017

One of my favorite trails. Every vista except waterfalls are on this hike.

Fri Apr 07 2017

tried making it to the trail head but as soon as you make your way onto the forest road it becomes impassable. deep snow and fallen tress block your path

Sun Sep 25 2016

Views in every direction, Rainier on your right and Cascades in the left. Relatively easy hike, bad road in highly recommend 4 wheel drive

Mon Jul 18 2016

The hike itself was pretty good. The trail was decent, I took the FS road 72 route. It was raining pretty good so I was socked in the whole way and didn't have great views. It got pretty muddy so be careful if you're heading up anytime soon. Parts of are starting to get a little slippery and there are some narrow parts and steep Rocky parts of the climb. Still totally doable for an inexperienced hiker. Overall it was a great hike. Just wish there wasn't so much fog and rain. Oh well. Next time!!!

Mon Oct 06 2014

10/05/2014 (Sunday) - I updated the Trail Info and map location. Perhaps there is another Noble Knob trail on Hwy 410 over the pass, but this hike is on the Enumclaw side. There appear to be a couple of ways to access Noble Knob from Hwy 410, but it would make for a much longer hike. We took Corral Pass Rd just south of the Alta Crystal Resort. This becomes the 6.4 mile, very crappy forest road to the trail head. There's a sign at the beginning stating that the road is for experienced mountain drivers only. If you aren't experienced when you start, you will be by the time you finish... There's a nice parking area at the top for Corral Pass with picnic tables, camp sites and a privy. The Noble Knob trail head is up the road from here with it's own parking and picnic table. Don't be fooled by the info sign at a trail head across from the parking area. I'm not sure where this goes. Walk to the picnic table and the trail starts there. We only saw a few other groups along the way because we started late in the day. Two mountain bikers were also up there. It looks like a great location for that. There are only a couple of stretches that will get you out of breath. For the most part it is a moderate hike. The views from the top are amazing. We also say a family of mt goats north of the knob about 100 yards away. Views of Mt Rainier are going to be best in the AM. We had the sun in our face looking in that direction, but that mountain is beautiful from any angle at any time. There's one trick part of the trail to note. At one point there's a sharp hairpin turn with a sign at the apex but no mention of the Noble Knob trail. You need to take the unmarked trail going north. I'll post a photo for reference. More on my hiking blog at cairnguru.com

Sun May 04 2014

O.K. Wow. Noble Knob is nowhere near Thorp, Washington. Try Ellensburg. Certainly not Thorp. I live near Thorp.

Mon Oct 14 2013

Simply outstanding views await the adventure on this trip. You can access the trail at 5,500 feet and make this an easy dayhike, or you can start from at least 3 different trailheads on Hwy 410 and make a real challenge out of it (that's what I did yesterday). You won't be disappointed no matter which route you take. Though for maximum views I'd recommend using Palisades trail (#1198?) to start your climb. Happy hiking!

Thu Oct 04 2012

We didn't do the full length of this trail, instead we entered from forest service road 7022 which is a great shortcut to Noble Knob. There isn't a marked sign, but if you follow the info from the link I provided you should be able to find it. There is a wide shoulder on the right just before the end of FS-7022 with room for about 4 or 5 cars. You will see a very short connecting trail on the right side of the road that puts you onto trail 1184, but you have to look close or you'll miss it. Head to the left through heavy tree cover which is pretty steep for about a mile. The trail will eventually come out of the dense forest and flatten out. The view along the ridge line from here on up to Noble Knob is simply amazing!

recorded road still closed