Noble Knob Trail

Noble Knob Trail is a 6.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Enumclaw, Washington that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and horses and is best used from July until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

A nice hike into the Norse Peak Wilderness with fantastic views of several Cascade Volcanoes This is a great alpine ridge walk just outside of Rainier National Park in the Norse Peak Wilderness. This isn't a killer climb as there is minimal elevation change thus the views are attainable for the whole family. The trail is easy to follow all the way to Noble Knob around Mutton Mountain which you can also run up if you'd like. This trail is open to mountain bikers if you are interested...

This trail is amazing. I started at the Coral Pass- Noble Knob trailhead. The gravel road is kind of rough I did it in a Jeep without trouble. 4wd or Awd is probably best. There are 2 trailheads... go to the further one by the picnic table. The trail is very narrow so I wouldn't say its kid friendly. Has amazing views that it took forever to finally get to the end but we got there and the 360° was worth the work to get there. It's gorgeous.

This was an amazing hike! It was somewhat challenging, with a few moderate elevation climbs. We received conflicting info about the distance of this hike. We thought we were on a 5-ish mile hike. It's NOT! It's 7+ miles. We drove to Coral Pass, in a Chevy Spark (tiny, fwd car) with no problems. We took it slow. No 4x4 needed this time of year (this was our 2nd trip up this particular Mt. road in our tiny car with no issues). There were so many places to take pictures, and soak in the amazing scenery. Bees, berries, and flowers all along the trail. The bees didn't bother us too much, but we were camping nearby, and I had sprayed my clothes with an Essential Oil based insect repellent. We passed other hikers, dogs, and a few mtn. bikers. It was a bit dusty, but it is a mountain trail. #naturerules

This hike was very scenic with so many places to take incredible pictures. The 6 mile road up to the trailhead on Corral Pass is rough, I'd recommend an all wheel drive or a 4x4 vehicle to get up...but I'm sure a car without those options can make it going slowly.

There were a lot of bees of all varieties constantly buzzing near us, even walking at a quick pace.

This was a good hike with nice views. The road up to the trail is very rocky and narrow with multiple switchbacks so be prepared. The hike it's self is pretty easy, I little longer then stated, I clocked in at 8.2 miles. The views of Mt Rainier are amazing and then you go into the woods and come out to another amazing 360 view when you reach the top! A few mountain bikers but not much traffic at all. Nice hike overall.

Stunning views and the alpine and wildflowers smell amazing! Great hike to take your four legged friend.

Our first attempt to reach the trailhead was via Corral Pass Rd. Unfortunately, the gate is still closed. We turned around and tried the other access point and were successful. We hiked in through Dalles Ridge, and about a mile into our hike, snow took over heavily shaded parts of the trail. Without proper spikes, the melting snow was quite slippery (with a drop off on one side), so we decided to turn around. The drive up to the trailhead was still enjoyable and mostly dry. This trail may need another week or two before the snow isn't such a hazard. The trail is still doable if you are brave and have proper spikes!

We were super excited to go on this hike because the sun finally decided to stick around and the snow melted. However, we tried access from Corral Pass Rd and there was a locked gate that prevented us from doing that. So we went a few miles back to try the hike from Dalles Ridge, but a couple miles from the trailhead, our subaru got stuck in snow. There was tracks for a while, but the road eventually turned to all snow. I'd say probably a few weeks before this hike is accessible. There's a lot of shaded areas preventing the last bit of snow melt.

One of my favorite trails. Every vista except waterfalls are on this hike.

tried making it to the trail head but as soon as you make your way onto the forest road it becomes impassable. deep snow and fallen tress block your path

Views in every direction, Rainier on your right and Cascades in the left. Relatively easy hike, bad road in highly recommend 4 wheel drive

Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Monday, July 18, 2016

The hike itself was pretty good. The trail was decent, I took the FS road 72 route. It was raining pretty good so I was socked in the whole way and didn't have great views. It got pretty muddy so be careful if you're heading up anytime soon. Parts of are starting to get a little slippery and there are some narrow parts and steep Rocky parts of the climb. Still totally doable for an inexperienced hiker. Overall it was a great hike. Just wish there wasn't so much fog and rain. Oh well. Next time!!!

Sunday, July 10, 2016

Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Monday, October 06, 2014

10/05/2014 (Sunday) - I updated the Trail Info and map location. Perhaps there is another Noble Knob trail on Hwy 410 over the pass, but this hike is on the Enumclaw side. There appear to be a couple of ways to access Noble Knob from Hwy 410, but it would make for a much longer hike. We took Corral Pass Rd just south of the Alta Crystal Resort. This becomes the 6.4 mile, very crappy forest road to the trail head. There's a sign at the beginning stating that the road is for experienced mountain drivers only. If you aren't experienced when you start, you will be by the time you finish...

There's a nice parking area at the top for Corral Pass with picnic tables, camp sites and a privy. The Noble Knob trail head is up the road from here with it's own parking and picnic table. Don't be fooled by the info sign at a trail head across from the parking area. I'm not sure where this goes. Walk to the picnic table and the trail starts there. We only saw a few other groups along the way because we started late in the day. Two mountain bikers were also up there. It looks like a great location for that. There are only a couple of stretches that will get you out of breath. For the most part it is a moderate hike. The views from the top are amazing. We also say a family of mt goats north of the knob about 100 yards away. Views of Mt Rainier are going to be best in the AM. We had the sun in our face looking in that direction, but that mountain is beautiful from any angle at any time. There's one trick part of the trail to note. At one point there's a sharp hairpin turn with a sign at the apex but no mention of the Noble Knob trail. You need to take the unmarked trail going north. I'll post a photo for reference.

More on my hiking blog at cairnguru.com