Neiderprum Trail

Neiderprum Trail is a 8.2 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Arlington, Washington that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until November.

ice climbing

rock climbing

bridge out

old growth

Came back out here today with my friend Jaime. We fell about 1/4 - 1/3 of a mile short of the "flat" part we read that would make a good place to stop and rest before heading back down. It wasn't the fact that the trail narrowed excessively, it was the nettles that were along it. We accomplished what we set out to do. We were at the top, we could see Whitehorse and the valley below. The was only one sketchy slide area. It was doable, but proceed with caution.

So. First time attempting this trail, and I had a bit of a difficult time. First off, turning off the 530, mine road runs straight for a half mile, then comes to a small turnout, with a "school bus turnaround" sign on the left. At this point, take a right, and an immediate left. This will get you to the actual trailhead. Boulders and a bridge on the left marks your trail.
Walk this trail for a while, passing over a few blowdowns. you'll pass over the creek twice, then come across a small clearing with the Neiderprum Trail on your right. Begin your quad workout here .
Now, I hiked this in late February, and after the 26 switchbacks (yeah....), I lost the trail. I traversed two large slide areas, and the "trail" became a steep, almost impossible-to-climb hill towards the summit. Unfortunately, I was unable to locate Neiderprum Landing, or enjoy any views of the surrounding peaks.
Overall, the hike was awesome and I will definitely be returning, but once the snow melts. The vertical gain was more intense than most hikes in this area, so be prepared to take breaks on the ascend. Have a blast, and make sure to sign in.

~Voltron

Sunday, June 05, 2016

Mine rd is a great trail with creek access at the end. Kid and dog friendly. Some of the trail is very narrow from overgrown bushes. We ventured onto the Neiderprum trail for a 1/4 mile so my friend could check it out and see if she wants to hike it at a later date. Neiderprum is steep and easy to moderate if you like elevation, otherwise if you don't I wouldn't attempt it. If you're new to hiking and want a challenge, this trail is for you.

Sunday, July 27, 2014