Navaho Peak

Navaho Peak is a 12.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Cle Elum, Washington that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 12.8 miles Elevation Gain: 4,137 feet Route Type: Out & Back

High country pass boasting stunning views of the Stuart range. A high clearance vehicle is highly recommended to make it to this trailhead.

gradually climbs for the first 90% the last mile or so is very steep. but the views are to die for at 7200 feet.

Beautiful hike with no issues up to the pass. Without a doubt the most moderate 3000' gain I think I've ever done! You'll see snow headed up to the peak but it's mostly slushy - used traction coming down because it's steep - 1100' gain in barely a mile so exercise caution. 360 views from the top are spectacular! You'll spend the 1st part in old growth forest but it gradually turns to moon landscape dotted with green serpentine that glistens in the sun. This is a perfect cooler weather hike since 1/2 of it is totally exposed.

My daughter & I set out to get to the pass, have lunch & reassess whether we wanted to make the brutal trek up to the peak. So glad that we did! I'm not gonna lie, it was an ASS kicker, but totally worth it! The views at the pass were stunning, but from the peak even more so! A totally different perspective and incredible panoramic views!

Great hike !

Ok, where to start? The info about this being just over 10 miles is not accurate. If you go all the way to the peak, it’s 13.4 miles round trip. The climb from the pass to the peak is BRUTAL! Very steep, unstable terrain and no shade. The payoff at the top is breathtaking! Enjoy that for a while and then start thinking about that descent down to the pass! It’s just as bad.....you can lose you’re footing quick! BE CAREFUL! Overall, I really enjoyed this hike. Up to the pass the elevation gain is rather gradual, and not bad. The changing forest, meadow and alpine was really neat! Tough hike worth the pain!

Completed today 8/11. It’s a sunny day mostly. The trail is in good condition - and very long. The first 5.5 miles have no view. If you go to the trail, then make sure you take the last mile to the peak. It’s really 360 panoramic view of the surrounding mountains including Stuart Range, Three Brothers and Iron Mountain. Total 13.3 miles per my friend’s recording; even longer with my recording.

Beautiful views of Mt Stuart - go up both peaks from Navaho pass. Did Navaho first and then grabbed the second. Kinda steep at tops but no scrambling needed. Trail is good condition throughout and the grade isn’t very steep from the trailhead to the pass.

I absolutely love this trail every time I backpack it! This time I took my family up to the near side of the Meadows. We had no issues driving our four door sedan up to the trail. Only had to dodge a couple large potholes. Gorgeous views, bubbling stream from below, and a steady hike all through. BE AWARE OF BEARS. We heard grunts and stomping throughout the night. Make sure you use the proper gear and please keep your dogs on leash! More importantly always be safe.

The last mile or so to the trailhead has an area with tons of potholes. A higher clearance vehicle is recommended but if you go really slow and try to avoid them in a lower clearance vehicle then you can make it, maybe some scraping here and there if not careful. Got to the trailhead on Sunday around 920am and the lot was full but could park along the road easily. Be sure to have the hike downloaded before arriving bc there are a few forks in the trail and there is no service (we took a wrong turn coming down but luckily had the map to guide us back). Few trees to either walk around or over in the trail. People camped in the meadow and can’t wait to come back and backpack there too! Really beautiful area. Took us about 4 hours to get to the top walking pretty slowly toward the end with some breaks for snacks and changing - weather goes from really hot to really cold continuously. The last mile is all uphill and rocky/slippery. Worth the extra trek! Really beautiful views but very cold! Bring a warm jacket! Would recommend poles for going uphill and the bad decline coming down. Took us a total of 9.5 hours to finish the trail, including a long lunch at the top and stopping many times for pictures. Gaia tracked a total of about 13.8 miles and 4060 ft elevation.

the whole area from Navaho Peak to Earl Peak is absolutely worth exploring.. this area as well as the Alpine Lakes region provide possibly the best introductory trekking and scenery in Washington.. lots of variance in biomes as well as geologic diversity.. i cannot wait to get back!!

Great trail! There are 2-3 blow downs that run parallel to the trail, easy to see where people are going around. Had a fantastic campsite with views of the Stuart Range. Made it down in 2.5hrs.

Beautiful trail and gorgeous views of the Enchantments. All Ttails is incorrect in the mileage for this hike. My all trails recording has it at 13 miles RT and the person I hiked with had a Garmin that read 14.4. So it is absolutely not 10+ milea as listed in All Trails. Hiked to the peak where we has views of Adam's and Rainier as well as the Enchantments and the surrounding valleys of the Teanaway. Flowers: Avalanche Lilies , Jefferson Shooting Stars, etc all out. Our elevation gain was 4335.

We got a late start on Sunday and it took us four hours to reach the meadow below Navajo pass. We set up camp and then did the short walk (20-30 min) up to Navajo pass. The landscape changes dramatically between the meadow and the pass. You'll feel like you're on the moon as you walk through the semi-barren landscape. At the pass you'll have an incredible view of Sherpa peak, Dragontail peak, and McClellan peak (from left to right). Only the tip of Mt. Stuart is visible from the pass. We didnt have the time/energy to go up to Navajo peak but the trail looked clear of snow. The trail is obvious the whole way up with a few sections blocked by blown over trees which were easy to get around. A little bit of mud on the trails but no snow until you look over to the North on top of Navajo Pass. The Campsite was spacious with easy access to the creek. The meadow has minimal wildflowers and is marshy so you have to walk around it. For wildlife we saw a prairie falcon, gartersnake, and a lizard. For wildflowers we saw Trillium, flocks, Indian paintbrush, and lots others. The whole hike up to the meadow is littered with wildflowers as you follow Stafford creek. Overall an amazing hike and the view is 100% worth it.

Navaho Peak, 14 Miles hike to 7200’ (Highest Point), 4200’ elevation gain is a must. Carpets of Spring beauty, Oregon grape, Trillium flowers is a feast for nature lovers. The trail runs closer to Stafford creek for most part with occasional waterfalls. The view is stunning from the peak. Today, the clouds veiled our reward, for us to come back...

Sun Oct 21 2018

Longer than 10.4 miles! About 13.7 miles!!!

Sun Oct 14 2018

Enjoyable hike in perfect fall conditions. Started hiking around 10am with air temperature just above freezing so dress appropriately. The trail is in good condition but lacks any signage so be sure to follow the directions, particularly bearing to the right at the T. Arrived at the ridge around noon. There are not much in the way of views on the trail to the pass but once you reach the ridge the views are magnificent. The trail to Navaho Peak is steep but well worth the extra effort, Rainier and Adams were both clearly visible. Be aware, modern firearm hunting season is now open and there were hunters walking on the trail during my return. I wore my orange jacket and hat to ensure I was visible.