Navaho Peak is a 10.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Cle Elum, Washington that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

High country pass boasting stunning views of the Stuart range.

Longer than 10.4 miles!
About 13.7 miles!!!

Enjoyable hike in perfect fall conditions. Started hiking around 10am with air temperature just above freezing so dress appropriately. The trail is in good condition but lacks any signage so be sure to follow the directions, particularly bearing to the right at the T. Arrived at the ridge around noon.

There are not much in the way of views on the trail to the pass but once you reach the ridge the views are magnificent. The trail to Navaho Peak is steep but well worth the extra effort, Rainier and Adams were both clearly visible.

Be aware, modern firearm hunting season is now open and there were hunters walking on the trail during my return. I wore my orange jacket and hat to ensure I was visible.

Beautiful hike. However, I was absolutely disgusted by how many blue plastic bags full of dog shit were left on the trail - I counted five on the way in.

Show some respect, people. Unbelievable.

Only hiked to the part where the trail splits, about 3.5 miles in, so I can only speak for that part of the trail.

There aren’t any incredible views on the way up, but the sound of the creek is lovely and stays with you almost the whole time. There are a few places where you can stop by it and put your feet in the cold water. There were a few wildflowers still, but you can tell it must be absolutely stunning when it is peak wildflower season as there are fields of them all over lining the trail.

The issues with this hike on the day I went was that the trail was super dusty. If someone had been right behind me I would have been kicking up dust at them the whole time. There were also lots and lots of hornets/yellow-jackets/wasps that tried to bother me every time I took a rest. I did pass someone on the way down who had gotten stung by one only a few hundred yards into the trail. No other annoying bugs seemed to be around though!

Overall it was very pretty. It is not very steep, but the incline is constant which makes for a good workout if you keep up the pace. I hope to come back with enough time to reach the top someday!

Loved it!!

We did a one night backpacking trip into the meadows which was 5.5 miles in. We then set up camp and went to the peak which was another 1.5 mile or so. The hike up to the peak is tough, but worth the pain! We went to see the sunset at the peak and the pictures and view was incredible. Round trip for us 13.7 miles (a bit more than what this app says). Great trip!

Great hike! We hit the trail around 5:30 am.
Trail starts in trees and you can hear the creek to your left as see it just about a quarter mile in.
Trail starts off easy, a couple of great spots to get to the creek and some beautiful meadows and wildflowers. Trail splits about 4 miles in, to the peaks you keep right.
Just before you get to the pass there is a great ridge i just loved! The views at the ridge are beautiful! Lee heading up ( the trail is to your right) and about 1 ish miles of steep climbing and you’ve reached the sunny! There is a bit of a false summit about a half mile up ( pretty views and places to sit!) but lol right again and you’ll se trail still goes about another 1/2 mile. That stretch is hard but it’s worth it for the views at top! No bugs except for some very annoying biting flies near the top! Snug spray seemed to hell keep them away so we could enjoy some time up there!
Well groomed trail and easy to follow!
Very much recommend this hike!

Best day-hike ever!

We did this as an overnighter on June 11-12, 2018. Such a fun trip with a friend. Snow free except for a little patch at the top. Didn’t stop to put our spikes on. Super steep to the peak! Gorgeous views. Unpacked and set up camp near the meadow and then summited to the peak with light packs. So cold up there but oh so beautiful!! Great water sources along the way! Tracked about 14 miles total to the peak and roaming around looking for a good camp site. This app recorder is slightly off on the trail, but nothing of concern. There were times we were clearly on the trail but the app path was more direct (and thus we had more mileage in the end). So I think that’s where the mileage discrepancy is between WTA/real mileage versus what All Trails says it will be. Plan for a little more. I feel like I will definitely do this one again! So memorable!!

Very beautiful. Views of the Stuart mountain range are awesome.

4 star hike with a 5 star view from the peak. Well maintained trail with nice views starting 500 feet below the pass and amazing views from the peak. Last half a mile from the pass to the peak is strenuous. Take the right at the split. Keep going right. Trail should be marked better as there are no signs of the trail that reference Navaho peak or pass. Main trail from the parking lot is called Stafford creek trail.

Nice hike, heard there was 20-30 tents up there sat night, sort of crowded, five out so still scattered about. Trail dry, ten hrs up and down, taking my time. Nice day.

One of the prettier hikes I've been on all the way through. Elevation gain was pretty gradual most of the way up. The meadows and wildflowers, views of the creek and mountain ranges couldn't be beat. Just a little sad we didn't get to see more wildlife.

Great! Went backpacking for two nights. Got nibbled on by mosquitos within the first mile. Trail follows along the water for the first few miles; nice views; lots of little stream crossings. We got rained on durring the final mile, but it dried out long enough for us to set up camp along the outskirts of the meadow. Cool rock formations, small waterfalls, meadows and pine trees.

Hiked up to the peak the next morning. Huge views; beautiful, warm sunny day. Poles are handy for the steep stretch and small snowfield at the very end.

The weather forecast was correct..it was a chilly night and we woke up to a little snow on the ground. However, the trip down was snow free and sunny.

snow free, gradual incline and beautiful view of the enchantments. Got a nice sunny day.

Amazing hike. Like posts below mention when you get to the T’s (there will be 2 on the way up) take a right. I didnt have poles and made it up there but would recommend them.

Absolutely amazing hike up. The whole way is scenic and Navaho peak is an believable 360 degree view with miles of mountains west to be seen, Rainier, and many more. If you do this do not stop at the pass. Go right and go straight up to the peak, challenging if you're going to the pass you may as well go all the way to the peak because the view is on a whole different level. Trail was in overall good shape. Road was fine, did it in a Toyota Corolla. Snow fields going up to the peak, we brought boots but we didn't even change out of our trail runners. Just bring an extra pair of socks and you will be fine. Saw a grouse, lots of chipmunks/squirrels and so many different species of birds including what I believe to of been a Western Tanager. Trail is long though, do not underestimate it. We clocked 14 miles round trip and we were on the trail for about 10 hours including stops and taking in the views for an hour or so. Honestly up to the pass wasn't all that hard, but up to the peak was the hardest of all but worth it. The trek back down takes a long time and now you're fatigued so it seems to go on forever. Plenty of water sources on the trail as of today, only brought two water bottles that I kept filling up. There were also plenty of wildflowers blooming. Again amazing hike if you're up for the journey!

Beautiful views of the Stuart Range and surrounding peaks (Rainier, Adams). Camped near the pass and hiked to the the peak in the morning. Windy at night so grab some rocks, poles are nice but no extra gear needed. Last mile is a leg burner - Great first backpack of the season!
+wildflowers

Monday, August 21, 2017

Great hike! Got to the trailhead about 8:30a, only 3 other cars in the lot, which matched the 3 groups we saw (a group of 3, a group of 2, and one guy with a doggy). Real gorgeous, plenty of water refill spots throughout the hike all the way up until the meadow just before the pass, and almost no bugs at all which was amazing for my girlfriend who is terribly allergic to mosquitos.

Gets more and more exposed as you go farther, with very few trees between the meadow and the pass. Super awesome view of the mountains right when you get to the pass. We decided to setup camp about half a mile between the pass and the peak, and planned to wake up tomorrow morning to get to the peak for sunrise as per recommendation of another trip report :D

After sunset, the night sky had an astounding array of stars, especially for city kids like us!

We woke up before sunrise the next morning, hiked to the peak (~30min from our camp about halfway between pass and peak) and ate breakfast whilst watching a gorgeous sunrise with a 360° view that included Mt. Rainier!

Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Spent the night partway up Navaho Peak last night.

I usually backpack with a group of my buddies but as they've all left for college, I did this one by myself. The first four miles or so up to Navaho Pass are fairly easy. I set up camp about four and half miles in, which put me partway up the peak. From my camp to the top of Navaho Peak was about 3/4 of a mile of grueling, steep, loose rock. Difficult but well worth the struggle. So worth it that I actually did this last stretch twice, once at sunset and once after waking up. If you are able to stay the night at Navaho it is a must to watch the sunset from the top of the peak. I can't put into words the site of the pink and orange sky backdropping Mt. Rainier, Mt. Stuart, Mt. Adams (if it's clear enough), and the surrounding cascade hills and peaks. Breathtaking to say the least.

FOR BACKPACKERS: Don't camp in the meadows. I planned on camping in the meadows but decided against it once I reached the area. It's a great place, but if you can carry your heavy pack just a mile or so further to the pass and beginning ascent of the Peak, you'll find much more rewarding camping spots. I set up my tent and hammock on the edge of a step rock face with a perfect view of the adjacent mountains. I wouldn't have wanted to camp anywhere else.

I've hiked all over the state and can say this was one of, if not the, best hikes I've ever done. Make time for this one.

Monday, July 24, 2017

This was the longest hike that I have done in a few years. To the top of the peak it is more than the estimated 10 miles, but it was a relatively nice and easy long one for the first time in a while. The trail is at a slight incline which makes it easy and the distance is not so bad if you pace yourself. I did bring my hiking poles just incase and I did end up using them just to help a bit since I had a large backpack.

To get to Navaho Peak you have to go on the Stafford Creek Trail. I did not know that when I arrived thinking that it would be labelled with information on the hike to Navaho Peak, but some very nice people did let me know that it was the correct way to reach the peak. This app does take you straight to the Stafford Creek Trail head where you start.

There are several different trails that go off of the Stafford Creek Trail so if you are trying to reach Navaho Peak you have to take a right at each trail that comes to a 'T' split and stay right at any other split off of the trail (there are a couple of 'Y' splits as well). When you reach the large beautiful open meadow, the trail to the right is your path to continue to the peak. When you hike up a bit past the meadow and to a group of mountains you will come to another 'T' trail split. Turn right to continue to Navaho Peak which soon the trail will become a bit more steep as you go up to the peak. It is definitely worth the sore legs and time to get there!

I HIGHLY recommend packing three or more bottles of water per person. I drink my water sparingly and I still ended up drinking both of my 32 ounce bottles of water, I needed a third and will not forget next time. There is on and off shade so I also suggest putting on sunscreen and bringing it with you to reapply if you go on a sunny day.

The views are amazing, you feel like you're on top of the world by seeing everything as far as your eyes can see at every angle. I just wish that I had a better camera! Next time I will be backpacking to it to explore the other trails and camp for a bit. I can't wait!

Tuesday, June 27, 2017

It was a nearly perfect day for this hike. My one complaint was that it was a little hot but that is more personal then anything. The hike to the top was one that was gradual up the whole way. Just choose a pace and maintain it and you will be at the pass in no time. Dont forget to go right at the T and NOT cross that creek. The road was not bad and any vehicle will make it provided you take your time as its has some washboards and larger round rocks.

You could do this train in sandals and not get your feet wet but you might have a sprained ankle with all the large round rocks. There is no snow until the last 100 yards which again is no big deal. The one thing you do need on this hike it water and plenty of it as it can be a grind to the top on a sunny day. I went through 3 liters on the hike.

This hike is well worth the last mile. Just go slow and steady and you will be there in no time. It should take the average hiker about a hour from the pass. If you try to go fast you might fizzle out before you get there.

Wednesday, June 07, 2017

Took advantage of my sunny weekday off and headed out to the Teanaway. This is really one of my favorite trails! There is still quite a bit of snow, but it is melting fast creating a ton of flowing water on the trail. Make sure you bring an extra pair or two of socks, because you will have wet feet! I was cautious going into the larger snowfield in the meadow before the climb up to Navajo Pass, as I had read several accounts of hikers getting lost in this area. Upon entering the meadow I kept right, following a very light boot path and some dog prints. Again, it is very wet and marshy here, so my feet were soaked in minutes (after changing my socks once already). At about my 5 mile mark, I kept to the right of a small waterfall where I could then see my path up the "lunar landscape" still mostly covered in snow. From here I saw the faint trail switchbacking up to the Pass and continued up the muddy slope. The views at Navajo Pass are wonderful, but nothing compares to those at Navajo Peak. It took me a whole hour to scramble up the climbers path to the Peak, much of which is still snow covered. The Peak itself is snow free, and there is a nice spot to sit and take in the expansive views! Stuart range, Rainier, and Adams were out in their full glory. I had a good time trying to identify all of the layers of peaks! It took me 2.5 hours to get back down to the trailhead from the Peak, stopping to take pictures along the way. Wildflowers were blooming on the Teanaway...this is an excellent time of year to hike in this area!

Monday, May 30, 2016

Our trip was on 5/28/2016. We had a blast on this trip. The climb is gradual the entire way but don't let that fool you. It is still a difficult hike. Many people took their dogs with them. We had no problem starting a fire. There was enough trees to set up hammocks. The trail is partially covered and partial exposed.

Monday, May 18, 2015

This hike has it all: stunning views of the Enchantments, flowers, creeks, elevation gain, camping spots galore, and you pass through a flat meadow that looks like the surface of the moon. I highly recommend going to the peak for sunset and camping around 2 miles from the top.