Navaho Peak

Navaho Peak is a 10.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Cle Elum, Washington that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

High country pass boasting stunning views of the Stuart range.

Great hike! Got to the trailhead about 8:30a, only 3 other cars in the lot, which matched the 3 groups we saw (a group of 3, a group of 2, and one guy with a doggy). Real gorgeous, plenty of water refill spots throughout the hike all the way up until the meadow just before the pass, and almost no bugs at all which was amazing for my girlfriend who is terribly allergic to mosquitos.

Gets more and more exposed as you go farther, with very few trees between the meadow and the pass. Super awesome view of the mountains right when you get to the pass. We decided to setup camp about half a mile between the pass and the peak, and planned to wake up tomorrow morning to get to the peak for sunrise as per recommendation of another trip report :D

After sunset, the night sky had an astounding array of stars, especially for city kids like us!

We woke up before sunrise the next morning, hiked to the peak (~30min from our camp about halfway between pass and peak) and ate breakfast whilst watching a gorgeous sunrise with a 360° view that included Mt. Rainier!

Spent the night partway up Navaho Peak last night.

I usually backpack with a group of my buddies but as they've all left for college, I did this one by myself. The first four miles or so up to Navaho Pass are fairly easy. I set up camp about four and half miles in, which put me partway up the peak. From my camp to the top of Navaho Peak was about 3/4 of a mile of grueling, steep, loose rock. Difficult but well worth the struggle. So worth it that I actually did this last stretch twice, once at sunset and once after waking up. If you are able to stay the night at Navaho it is a must to watch the sunset from the top of the peak. I can't put into words the site of the pink and orange sky backdropping Mt. Rainier, Mt. Stuart, Mt. Adams (if it's clear enough), and the surrounding cascade hills and peaks. Breathtaking to say the least.

FOR BACKPACKERS: Don't camp in the meadows. I planned on camping in the meadows but decided against it once I reached the area. It's a great place, but if you can carry your heavy pack just a mile or so further to the pass and beginning ascent of the Peak, you'll find much more rewarding camping spots. I set up my tent and hammock on the edge of a step rock face with a perfect view of the adjacent mountains. I wouldn't have wanted to camp anywhere else.

I've hiked all over the state and can say this was one of, if not the, best hikes I've ever done. Make time for this one.

This was the longest hike that I have done in a few years. To the top of the peak it is more than the estimated 10 miles, but it was a relatively nice and easy long one for the first time in a while. The trail is at a slight incline which makes it easy and the distance is not so bad if you pace yourself. I did bring my hiking poles just incase and I did end up using them just to help a bit since I had a large backpack.

To get to Navaho Peak you have to go on the Stafford Creek Trail. I did not know that when I arrived thinking that it would be labelled with information on the hike to Navaho Peak, but some very nice people did let me know that it was the correct way to reach the peak. This app does take you straight to the Stafford Creek Trail head where you start.

There are several different trails that go off of the Stafford Creek Trail so if you are trying to reach Navaho Peak you have to take a right at each trail that comes to a 'T' split and stay right at any other split off of the trail (there are a couple of 'Y' splits as well). When you reach the large beautiful open meadow, the trail to the right is your path to continue to the peak. When you hike up a bit past the meadow and to a group of mountains you will come to another 'T' trail split. Turn right to continue to Navaho Peak which soon the trail will become a bit more steep as you go up to the peak. It is definitely worth the sore legs and time to get there!

I HIGHLY recommend packing three or more bottles of water per person. I drink my water sparingly and I still ended up drinking both of my 32 ounce bottles of water, I needed a third and will not forget next time. There is on and off shade so I also suggest putting on sunscreen and bringing it with you to reapply if you go on a sunny day.

The views are amazing, you feel like you're on top of the world by seeing everything as far as your eyes can see at every angle. I just wish that I had a better camera! Next time I will be backpacking to it to explore the other trails and camp for a bit. I can't wait!

It was a nearly perfect day for this hike. My one complaint was that it was a little hot but that is more personal then anything. The hike to the top was one that was gradual up the whole way. Just choose a pace and maintain it and you will be at the pass in no time. Dont forget to go right at the T and NOT cross that creek. The road was not bad and any vehicle will make it provided you take your time as its has some washboards and larger round rocks.

You could do this train in sandals and not get your feet wet but you might have a sprained ankle with all the large round rocks. There is no snow until the last 100 yards which again is no big deal. The one thing you do need on this hike it water and plenty of it as it can be a grind to the top on a sunny day. I went through 3 liters on the hike.

This hike is well worth the last mile. Just go slow and steady and you will be there in no time. It should take the average hiker about a hour from the pass. If you try to go fast you might fizzle out before you get there.

Took advantage of my sunny weekday off and headed out to the Teanaway. This is really one of my favorite trails! There is still quite a bit of snow, but it is melting fast creating a ton of flowing water on the trail. Make sure you bring an extra pair or two of socks, because you will have wet feet! I was cautious going into the larger snowfield in the meadow before the climb up to Navajo Pass, as I had read several accounts of hikers getting lost in this area. Upon entering the meadow I kept right, following a very light boot path and some dog prints. Again, it is very wet and marshy here, so my feet were soaked in minutes (after changing my socks once already). At about my 5 mile mark, I kept to the right of a small waterfall where I could then see my path up the "lunar landscape" still mostly covered in snow. From here I saw the faint trail switchbacking up to the Pass and continued up the muddy slope. The views at Navajo Pass are wonderful, but nothing compares to those at Navajo Peak. It took me a whole hour to scramble up the climbers path to the Peak, much of which is still snow covered. The Peak itself is snow free, and there is a nice spot to sit and take in the expansive views! Stuart range, Rainier, and Adams were out in their full glory. I had a good time trying to identify all of the layers of peaks! It took me 2.5 hours to get back down to the trailhead from the Peak, stopping to take pictures along the way. Wildflowers were blooming on the Teanaway...this is an excellent time of year to hike in this area!

Thursday, July 21, 2016

Monday, May 30, 2016

Our trip was on 5/28/2016. We had a blast on this trip. The climb is gradual the entire way but don't let that fool you. It is still a difficult hike. Many people took their dogs with them. We had no problem starting a fire. There was enough trees to set up hammocks. The trail is partially covered and partial exposed.

Monday, May 18, 2015

This hike has it all: stunning views of the Enchantments, flowers, creeks, elevation gain, camping spots galore, and you pass through a flat meadow that looks like the surface of the moon. I highly recommend going to the peak for sunset and camping around 2 miles from the top.