Naches Peak Loop Trail is a 3.3 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Ashford, Washington that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from July until October. Horses are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 3.3 miles Elevation Gain: 636 feet Route Type: Loop

Park at Tipsoo Lake, .5 mile west of Chinook Pass on SR 410. For a clockwise hike of the Naches Peak Loop Trail, follow the trail from the picnic area to Chinook Pass and the Pacific Crest Trail. This easy loop is one of the most popular hikes in the park. It starts out along the Pacific Crest Trail at Chinook Pass and leads south, traversing the east side of Naches Peak 1.6 miles until intersecting the Naches Loop Trail. To continue the loop and return to Tipsoo Lake in 1.4 miles, follow the Naches Loop Trail along the west side of Naches Peak. NOTE: Always check current trail conditions before heading out. Log footbridges frequently wash out during the winter or other conditions could be affecting the trail. Along the Trail To get the best views of Mount Rainier, hike the loop in a clockwise direction. This loop provides the hiker with breathtaking views of the Mountain, a look at beautiful subalpine meadows, and an abundant supply of huckleberries in late summer and early fall. Backpacking There is no camping along the Naches Peak Loop Trail within Mount Rainier National Park. Nor are there any suitable sites for camping along the Pacific Crest Trail within the park. Camping is permitted on adjacent United States Forest Service lands. Permits are required for camping. Pets are allowed only on the Pacific Crest Trail portion of the loop outside of the park, and they must be leashed. Dogs and other pets are NOT allowed on the section of the Naches Peak Loop Trail within the park, nor are they allowed on any other trails inside the park. Fires are prohibited. Treat water before drinking.

icy

I did not complete the loop, steep snow conditions made this trail treacherous. Even with crampons and an ice axe a slip in the wrong spot here could easily be fatal. I slipped and fell about 50 feet in one of these spots, I was bouncing off trees before I could even try to self-arrest with my axe. Luckily the second tree stopped me just before the long death slide... I was very lucky to walk away uninjured! Seriously be careful! On another note, very beautiful up here, I'll be back in a few weeks when the snow recedes a bit!

Great trail for family hiking, beautiful views of Mount Rainier, did it last year on 4th of July, went there yesterday, guess I should’ve checked conditions first, still heavily covered in snow it was also very foggy. Turned around and hiked at a much lower elevation at a different trail. I’m a skier myself and was a bit jealous of all the people there that were donning all their ski equipment and some were snowshoeing, guess they’ve been there more than once.

One of favorites! We attempted it today but it is still very heavily covered in snow and you would need snow gear to hike, not what we were expecting! We’ll be back in late July!

Beautiful! Picking huckleberries along the way was a great treat! Beautiful views of Mt. Rainier!

As of 6/11, the trail is open but heavily covered in snow. We went about a mile around the trail, counterclockwise, before looping back. The trail isn’t marked, but following along the AllTrails GPS map provides a pretty good proxy. Your mileage may vary on temperature it was in the 60s during early evening on 6/11. Caution is certainly required for the snow covered steep hills.

Still giving it a 5 star rating, because it's one of our favorite family friendly trails. Made a trip up there to see the conditions yesterday. Still heavily covered in snow. Trail head not accessible yet and small parking lot at Tipsoo is not cleared yet. Both sides of the road still a large wall of snow. It was 37* and lightly snowing, it was windy and visabilty was low. There were quite of few people out and about looking. Perhaps just out for a drive like us. Looking forward to warmer days and clear trails.

Beautiful view of Rainer mountain !!

Beautiful day on Saturday 11/09/19 .. half of trail is covered on snow and other half bare and dry.. 410 was bare and dry all the way to trailhead

This is a pretty trail with the best views of the mountain towards the end (going counterclockwise, which was the right choice). There were also flowers in bloom and a few small ponds to check out. (August)

One of my all time favorites in all seasons! Hiked 11/4 on a beautiful sunny day. Snow and ice on the east side of the loop, poles and yaktrax were helpful. Beautiful views of Rainier. Only met one other person on the trail.

icy

Easy hike but there was snow and ice on trail. Spikes for sure were helpful, and poles on the east side. Started at 6:30am on 11-4-19, a Monday. Didn’t see anybody until almost back to the parking lot. Beautiful hike. I’ve been in several hikes before and I can say this one gave me the most epic views for the little effort. You get to see the majestic Tahoma, mount Adams for a little bit, Yakima peak at the parking lot, Naches peak, Seymour peak, Dewey lakes, Tipsoo lakes, and a couple mo name lakes. If you can, go before they close the hwy for the season or the rain moves in. Totally worth it but please be prepared in order to enjoy ur out there. This ain’t a easy summer stroll anymore.

Easy and beautiful hike that offers green meadows and nice views of Mount Rainier.

My wife and I were in the Sunrise area late September. Got in late first day but drove up Chinook Pass and hiked from Tipsoo lake in about 2 miles then came back. Vowed to return. Came back couple days later mid morning after rain stopped but fog so thick we couldn’t see more than 50 feet in front of us. Vowed to return again! Last full day we had we drove up again and I am so glad. It had snowed in the higher elevations overnight and everything was dusted in snow. Gorgeous. Less than half way into hike it started snowing. Pellets at first but then big fat fluffy flakes. And really coming down the rest of the hike. Fair # of people out. Had an awesome time. For 2 Floridians this hike in the snowstorm was heavenly.

Nice easy scenic loop. Very recommended for a sunset trek. A few sections were icy, a slip over set of Yak-Traks would be worth packing along for the less sure footed. I managed fine doing it after a graveyard though without them or poles. Not much fall color left to see.

Great hike! We went up the south side and down the north. The north side was much colder and had a lot of ice/mud - spikes or tracks would have helped. It was cloudy so we did not see Rainier, but the views on the trail were spectacular regardless (lakes, peaks, valleys everywhere).

great views! just make sure you are ready for a little snow and mud!

Hiked 10/6. Super pretty spots. Left side is very icy.