New Years Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $19.99
Get Started

Mount Constitution Loop Trail

Mount Constitution Loop Trail is a 6.6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Olga, Washington that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 6.6 miles Elevation Gain: 1,738 feet Route Type: Loop

Fun trail, recommend to do it clockwise because that's more fun and you get the very steep part out of the way. Dress in layers becaus you will get cold of all the wind at the top. I highly recommend taking the .4 mile in total detour to Little Summit for amazing views of the other islands.

Our opinion-we agree its best to go clockwise!Great trail.....a hinny kicker going up but worth the views- and not just from the top. The forest is filled with moss covered trees and ferns...so quiet. The last mile or so around mountain lake is a most excellent ending.

Great hike! We missed where little summit trail starts and ended up at the tower by car. We hiked downhill for a mile anyway and then back uphill. We then drove out looking for other trails found a trail for Twin Lakes and did that one as well for 2.2 miles one way. Can’t go wrong with any of the trails!

Such a wonderful trail. Clearly marked and beautiful views and scenery. If you start at Mt Constitution you can hike 2.2 miles to Little summit and then hike back if you don’t want to do the whole loop. For a movie I would say this would be challenging. For other hikers I would say this is moderate.

I read a few of the reviews ahead of time, and I think there needs to be caveats to the difficulty rating: 1) if you go clockwise, this is a moderate trail, because you stair-step to the top; conversely, if you go counter-clockwise, it is a more sustained and difficult climb, making it more medium-hard; 2) my wife (who is four months pregnant when we did the loop) and I are from Colorado and have hiked some very challenging 14’ers in years past, meaning this is a moderate difficulty trail in Colorado. On that same note, this will be a more difficult hike for people from low elevations who don’t hike much. As for the quality of the trail, it was exceptional. Very well maintained and relatively smooth the summit was amazing, and the tower at the top was very cool to walk up! I highly recommend this hike!

Well maintained. Last push is pretty steep. Views from top are superb.

This was a great hike and dog friendly. We did it counter clockwise and highly recommend that direction. Beautiful views of the lake. Took us about 3 hours of hiking time. Concessions at the top were a nice surprise! The ice cream at “Sugar on top” was delicious!!!

This trail is nice because it’s a loop, so you see different views on the way down. The change in vegetation throughout the hike is really neat, too! We got no view at the top because it was very foggy that day (late September), which was a bummer because the switchbacks towards the top were not a breeze! Great way to enjoy the outdoors while visiting Orcas Island!

Almost completely shaded on the way up through beautiful forest. Switchbacks are very steep. Tower at the top is super-cool. Amazing views.

One of my favorite hikes and the views are amazing! It’s a butt kicker

Great loop, we went clockwise and really enjoyed getting the vertical behind us early.

Wed Jan 16 2019

Trail is in great condition and the view looking out over the islands and to Baker is nothing shy of spectacular.

Tue Oct 16 2018

beautiful hike! pretty steep the last mile and a half but the view is unbelievable! sure you can drive to the look out but if you enjoy hiking I highly recommend it!

Sat Sep 29 2018

Beautiful hike. Old growth forest with moss covered logs, ferns and paths softened by pine needles. The switchbacks make the climb to the top interesting and manageable. My husband and I are in our early 60s, once-a-week hikers, and did fine. I recommend following the trail clockwise to avoid hard climbs at the end.

Tue Aug 28 2018

Hard AF but worth it

Fri Aug 17 2018

This was a nice island hike. A few good views and a nice walk along Mountain Lake at the end. Roads go to the top of the mountain that you work so hard to get to, with the associated crowds.

Wed Aug 01 2018

Great hike with a bit challenging ascent. Beautiful trees and warm lake!

Sat Jul 28 2018

We started at Mountain Lake going towards Little Summit. The hike up to Little Summit is a series of steep switchbacks. Definitely detour to Little Summit for some beautiful views. The hike from Little Summit to Mt. Constitution was less steep, and there were some nice views along Mountain Lake. The view at the top of Mt. Constitution is stunning, and there’s a neat tower with historical information. The hike back to the Mountain Lake parking was easy, and we stopped by Twin Lakes for a relaxing, quiet break. The last bit of the hike was along the shore of Mountain Lake with beautiful views of the mountains all around. Overall, the trail was well-maintained and well-marked. There were a few downed trees we had to climb over on the way to Little Summit, but nothing huge.

Mon Jul 09 2018

We parked at Little Summit and hiked to the top of Mt. Constitution and back - about 4.5 miles and a 400 ft. elevation gain. Easy to moderate hike with the most amazing views of Mt. Baker, the San Juan Islands, and Mountain Lake. Little Summit is the perfect spot to end the hike with a picnic lunch.

Sat Jul 07 2018

Great hike! Definitely recommend hiking clockwise (start at Mountain Lake on Little Summit trail). It climbs right away and you’ll work hard BUT you hit Little Summit in 1.2 miles and it makes it all SO worth it. Be sure to go the extra .3 miles and back to see the Little Summit view. And the hardest climbing is then done and you can enjoy the next 2.4 miles with some pretty easy climbing and lots of incredible ridge views. Then on the way back you’ll have a steep descent for about 1.5 miles and then visits to Summit Lake and Twin Lakes. Last mile is a super easy hike along Mountain Lake (part of Mtn Lake loop). Our favorite hike on Orcas!

Wed Feb 07 2018

Challenging trail but worth it! Easier to do counterclockwise for the beginning hiker.

Sun Oct 29 2017

Great hike! Stunning views of Mount Baker and the many islands of the San Juans. We decided to go clockwise on the trail toward Little Summit to not have to hike the steep incline portion. Unfortunately, we didn’t have hiking poles, but we found a lot of great sticks along the trail to help with the steep descent. Very windy at the top so I recommend a wind breaker and layers to stay warm. Parts of the hike allow mountain bikers so be prepared for them. We saw three biking downhill today. I clocked 1,713 elevation gain and 7.2 miles roundtrip. Have fun and enjoy the spectacular views!

Sun Oct 01 2017

I am going to be honest here. Don't hike the trail. Drive your car all the way to the top of Mt. Constitution, bring a lunch, sit there, enjoy and take in the spectacular view for an hour or two. That's what I did (hiked so much during the week, muscles were too sore). Seriously one of the most spectacular views you will see. You can walk up to the tower and learn about how it was built. Then sit some more and take in the mountain view.

Sun Oct 01 2017

This trail is really something to behold when you consider the intermittent stunning views of the San Juans and Mt. Baker along the way. I suggest going clockwise for sure to optimize the views and minimize the gruel of the climb as is done when going counter clockwise. This also makes the end third a beautiful easy walk through the forest floor and along the enchanting Mountain Lake. A rewarding dip in the clear waters could prove irresistible!

Thu Sep 28 2017

Good hike with great views of the Rosario Strait, Mt. Baker, and various islands in the San Juan Archipelago. You can add some distance by beginning at Cascade Lake. You can also follow a trail on the east side of Mountain Lake. If you begin by following Mountain Lake, you have a steeper climb. The trail is well defined and easy to follow and I did not find it difficult. All steep climbs are facilitated by switchbacks. It's a great way to spend several hours and getting to know the Salish Sea and the Archipelago.

Wed Aug 16 2017

An easy (I'm in mountaineer shape) loop in the Moran state park plus the Little Summit - nothing like a two-for-one deal! The tower at the top is a nice endpoint where you can see Mount Baker, the surrounding San Juan Islands, and the Olympics (at least if the haze from the fires were gone). Be aware that there are stinging nettles on the trail - I hiked in shorts and brushed into it fairly early in the hike. My shins still feel tingly, Once done, Orcas provides a general store and a few shops with some decent after hike food - great for when you are waiting for the ferry!

Thu Jun 15 2017

Spent approximately five hours here with a friend. Love the views!!! Lake, waterfall, various terrain, view of Mt. baker when you're at the top, castle and more. You can do all or some of coarse according to your ability and preference. Either way, I recommend and vote it as worth your time:)

Wed May 31 2017

A very enjoyable hike. Walking through the forest was beautiful, and I loved watching the vegetation change with the altitude. We went anti-clockwise around the loop: started out walking along Mt Lake to Twin Lakes, then up to the summit. From carpark to summit took us about 1 hour 30 minutes. I’m not a hiker, so I was worried about the steep hill, but it was manageable, as the steep section is only about 1.5 miles. The summit was quite crowded for memorial day weekend. The stone tower is closed for restoration, but you can still enjoy the amazing view. I found the people standing around smoking to be particularly offensive. From there, we walked about 45 minutes to Little Summit. I think the view from here was almost as good, and we were the only people there! From there, it took us another 40 minutes or so to walk back down to the car park.

Mon Apr 17 2017

very pretty hike with trek thru green forest, beautiful lakes and a great view, long history at the top. It's a bit frustrating seeing all the people driving to the top but the trail itself isn't very crowded even during 4th of July weekend.