Mount Constitution Loop Trail

Mount Constitution Loop Trail is a 6.8 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Olga, Washington that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

2024 feet

I am going to be honest here. Don't hike the trail. Drive your car all the way to the top of Mt. Constitution, bring a lunch, sit there, enjoy and take in the spectacular view for an hour or two. That's what I did (hiked so much during the week, muscles were too sore). Seriously one of the most spectacular views you will see. You can walk up to the tower and learn about how it was built. Then sit some more and take in the mountain view.

This trail is really something to behold when you consider the intermittent stunning views of the San Juans and Mt. Baker along the way. I suggest going clockwise for sure to optimize the views and minimize the gruel of the climb as is done when going counter clockwise. This also makes the end third a beautiful easy walk through the forest floor and along the enchanting Mountain Lake. A rewarding dip in the clear waters could prove irresistible!

Good hike with great views of the Rosario Strait, Mt. Baker, and various islands in the San Juan Archipelago. You can add some distance by beginning at Cascade Lake. You can also follow a trail on the east side of Mountain Lake. If you begin by following Mountain Lake, you have a steeper climb. The trail is well defined and easy to follow and I did not find it difficult. All steep climbs are facilitated by switchbacks. It's a great way to spend several hours and getting to know the Salish Sea and the Archipelago.

An easy (I'm in mountaineer shape) loop in the Moran state park plus the Little Summit - nothing like a two-for-one deal! The tower at the top is a nice endpoint where you can see Mount Baker, the surrounding San Juan Islands, and the Olympics (at least if the haze from the fires were gone).

Be aware that there are stinging nettles on the trail - I hiked in shorts and brushed into it fairly early in the hike. My shins still feel tingly,

Once done, Orcas provides a general store and a few shops with some decent after hike food - great for when you are waiting for the ferry!

Spent approximately five hours here with a friend. Love the views!!! Lake, waterfall, various terrain, view of Mt. baker when you're at the top, castle and more. You can do all or some of coarse according to your ability and preference. Either way, I recommend and vote it as worth your time:)

A very enjoyable hike. Walking through the forest was beautiful, and I loved watching the vegetation change with the altitude.
We went anti-clockwise around the loop: started out walking along Mt Lake to Twin Lakes, then up to the summit. From carpark to summit took us about 1 hour 30 minutes. I’m not a hiker, so I was worried about the steep hill, but it was manageable, as the steep section is only about 1.5 miles.
The summit was quite crowded for memorial day weekend. The stone tower is closed for restoration, but you can still enjoy the amazing view. I found the people standing around smoking to be particularly offensive.
From there, we walked about 45 minutes to Little Summit. I think the view from here was almost as good, and we were the only people there!
From there, it took us another 40 minutes or so to walk back down to the car park.

very pretty hike with trek thru green forest, beautiful lakes and a great view, long history at the top. It's a bit frustrating seeing all the people driving to the top but the trail itself isn't very crowded even during 4th of July weekend.

Easy trail to go thru the deep forest, definitely much more fun than driving up