Mount Constitution Loop Trail

hardYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(159)
Moran State Park

Mount Constitution Loop Trail is a 6.6 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Olga, Washington that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 6.6 miles Elevation Gain: 1,738 feet Route Type: Loop

I followed the advice of other hikers and started clockwise. Glad I did so as the descent down back to mountain lake was easier vs if I had started counterclockwise. The view of Mt Baker at the tower was amazing as I did this hike on a clear sunny day. I also did the loops around twin lakes. Ended up being 8.6 miles total. 10/10 would do again.

Awesome hike. Quite an uphill climb first mile and half or so but the views are well worth it.

This is one of my favorite hikes. Doing the loop clockwise will be a little less intense. Either way is great though. I love the portion all along mountain lake. The view from the top is spectacular. This hike is a huge workout.

Great trail!!

icy

Beautiful area. Snowing lightly when we started. We went clockwise and stopped at Little Summit before going to the top. Climbed up the tower for spectacular views. Going down was icy and slippery as the switchbacks were very steep. Glad we didn’t go up that way. Great hike at almost 9 miles.

Fun trail, recommend to do it clockwise because that's more fun and you get the very steep part out of the way. Dress in layers becaus you will get cold of all the wind at the top. I highly recommend taking the .4 mile in total detour to Little Summit for amazing views of the other islands.

Our opinion-we agree its best to go clockwise!Great trail.....a hinny kicker going up but worth the views- and not just from the top. The forest is filled with moss covered trees and ferns...so quiet. The last mile or so around mountain lake is a most excellent ending.

Great hike! We missed where little summit trail starts and ended up at the tower by car. We hiked downhill for a mile anyway and then back uphill. We then drove out looking for other trails found a trail for Twin Lakes and did that one as well for 2.2 miles one way. Can’t go wrong with any of the trails!

Such a wonderful trail. Clearly marked and beautiful views and scenery. If you start at Mt Constitution you can hike 2.2 miles to Little summit and then hike back if you don’t want to do the whole loop. For a movie I would say this would be challenging. For other hikers I would say this is moderate.

I read a few of the reviews ahead of time, and I think there needs to be caveats to the difficulty rating: 1) if you go clockwise, this is a moderate trail, because you stair-step to the top; conversely, if you go counter-clockwise, it is a more sustained and difficult climb, making it more medium-hard; 2) my wife (who is four months pregnant when we did the loop) and I are from Colorado and have hiked some very challenging 14’ers in years past, meaning this is a moderate difficulty trail in Colorado. On that same note, this will be a more difficult hike for people from low elevations who don’t hike much. As for the quality of the trail, it was exceptional. Very well maintained and relatively smooth the summit was amazing, and the tower at the top was very cool to walk up! I highly recommend this hike!

Well maintained. Last push is pretty steep. Views from top are superb.

This was a great hike and dog friendly. We did it counter clockwise and highly recommend that direction. Beautiful views of the lake. Took us about 3 hours of hiking time. Concessions at the top were a nice surprise! The ice cream at “Sugar on top” was delicious!!!

This trail is nice because it’s a loop, so you see different views on the way down. The change in vegetation throughout the hike is really neat, too! We got no view at the top because it was very foggy that day (late September), which was a bummer because the switchbacks towards the top were not a breeze! Great way to enjoy the outdoors while visiting Orcas Island!

Almost completely shaded on the way up through beautiful forest. Switchbacks are very steep. Tower at the top is super-cool. Amazing views.

One of my favorite hikes and the views are amazing! It’s a butt kicker

Sun Apr 07 2019

Great loop, we went clockwise and really enjoyed getting the vertical behind us early.

Wed Jan 16 2019

Trail is in great condition and the view looking out over the islands and to Baker is nothing shy of spectacular.

Tue Oct 16 2018

beautiful hike! pretty steep the last mile and a half but the view is unbelievable! sure you can drive to the look out but if you enjoy hiking I highly recommend it!

Sat Sep 29 2018

Beautiful hike. Old growth forest with moss covered logs, ferns and paths softened by pine needles. The switchbacks make the climb to the top interesting and manageable. My husband and I are in our early 60s, once-a-week hikers, and did fine. I recommend following the trail clockwise to avoid hard climbs at the end.

Tue Aug 28 2018

Hard AF but worth it

Fri Aug 17 2018

This was a nice island hike. A few good views and a nice walk along Mountain Lake at the end. Roads go to the top of the mountain that you work so hard to get to, with the associated crowds.

Wed Aug 01 2018

Great hike with a bit challenging ascent. Beautiful trees and warm lake!

Sat Jul 28 2018

We started at Mountain Lake going towards Little Summit. The hike up to Little Summit is a series of steep switchbacks. Definitely detour to Little Summit for some beautiful views. The hike from Little Summit to Mt. Constitution was less steep, and there were some nice views along Mountain Lake. The view at the top of Mt. Constitution is stunning, and there’s a neat tower with historical information. The hike back to the Mountain Lake parking was easy, and we stopped by Twin Lakes for a relaxing, quiet break. The last bit of the hike was along the shore of Mountain Lake with beautiful views of the mountains all around. Overall, the trail was well-maintained and well-marked. There were a few downed trees we had to climb over on the way to Little Summit, but nothing huge.

Mon Jul 09 2018

We parked at Little Summit and hiked to the top of Mt. Constitution and back - about 4.5 miles and a 400 ft. elevation gain. Easy to moderate hike with the most amazing views of Mt. Baker, the San Juan Islands, and Mountain Lake. Little Summit is the perfect spot to end the hike with a picnic lunch.

Sat Jul 07 2018

Great hike! Definitely recommend hiking clockwise (start at Mountain Lake on Little Summit trail). It climbs right away and you’ll work hard BUT you hit Little Summit in 1.2 miles and it makes it all SO worth it. Be sure to go the extra .3 miles and back to see the Little Summit view. And the hardest climbing is then done and you can enjoy the next 2.4 miles with some pretty easy climbing and lots of incredible ridge views. Then on the way back you’ll have a steep descent for about 1.5 miles and then visits to Summit Lake and Twin Lakes. Last mile is a super easy hike along Mountain Lake (part of Mtn Lake loop). Our favorite hike on Orcas!

Wed Feb 07 2018

Challenging trail but worth it! Easier to do counterclockwise for the beginning hiker.

Sun Oct 29 2017

Great hike! Stunning views of Mount Baker and the many islands of the San Juans. We decided to go clockwise on the trail toward Little Summit to not have to hike the steep incline portion. Unfortunately, we didn’t have hiking poles, but we found a lot of great sticks along the trail to help with the steep descent. Very windy at the top so I recommend a wind breaker and layers to stay warm. Parts of the hike allow mountain bikers so be prepared for them. We saw three biking downhill today. I clocked 1,713 elevation gain and 7.2 miles roundtrip. Have fun and enjoy the spectacular views!