Mount Constitution Loop Trail

Mount Constitution Loop Trail is a 7.6 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Olga, Washington that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

A very pretty hike. It starts off somewhat tough right away but actually eases out the closer you get to the peak. If you're not used to hiking then it will be a good workout but even fitter people will find a challenge to it. Currently (Feb. 2017) there's a few downed trees with a couple that aren't easy to climb over/under and will force you to probably have to leave the trail temporarily. There's probably great views along the way but, unfortunately, a cloud was directly on top of the mountain when I went so I saw nothing but mist.

In order to reach the trailhead from your car, you'll need to follow signs for Mt. Lake. There's a small parking lot (room enough for about 6 cars) along the lake. To the left of the shelter with the cooking stove is a trail to Little Summit. Follow the trail for 1 mile until you reach the crossroads where you can continue the 0.2 miles to Little Summit (might as well!) or veer right for another 2 miles to the top of Mt. Constitution. On the way back, you can opt to either return the way you came or cross the parking lot and road and take the trail leading to Twin Lakes. Further sites along the route involve the Twin Lakes and Cascade Falls. From September to May, be cautious of mountain bikers!

Great views, a lot of history. 65 year old grandfather was able to enjoy as well.

It's a climb.

This was a great hike. I didn't think it was all that hard. We actually did this hike over Valentine's weekend. It was unusually warm, in the mid 70's at Rosario Resort. Took the good part of the day but would love to do it again!

Absolutely beautiful. The mountain kicked my ass but it was totally worth it.

Have done this hike twice. The second time, I got married at the top. There's a school cave off to the right about 5/8 of the way up. Gorgeous views! Be aware there is a road up the back, so there will be sightseers at the top.

This trail is rough... It was the most intense incline I've hiked.

09/21/2014 (Sunday) - We did a variation of this trail and started at the south campground on Cascade Lake. From there we hiked to the Cascade Falls, Mountain Lake, and Twin Lakes before making our ascent to the top of Mt Constitution. The trail is well maintained the entire way, and very easy until the last leg up to the top. Then, it's nothing but switchbacks and a killer incline. Definitely worth the trip.

More on my hiking blog at cairnguru.com

The Mt. Constitution trail is very pretty but tough. We knew what the elevation gain was going to be when we started and got worried come mile two when it felt like we had not ascended at all. Well, you work for it at the end. It was tough but worth it. It is a little odd though to get to the summit of a mountain and be greeted by tons of people who drove to the top in the car...

My husband and I hiked this trail from Mountain Lake and up the steep northeastern side of the mountain in January. The road was closed due to snow but we were DETERMINED to see the top. We set out in mid-afternoon and trekked for hours, eventually meeting the snow line. It seemed like the hike would never end and the sun was beginning to set! We made it to the top with just enough time to see the sun go down from the tower and then we made a mad scramble down the ridge trail. I'm glad we brought our headlamps as the final bit of the hike we trod along in darkness. It was a true adventure that I don't recommend. : ) But go in the warmer months with plenty of time to hike and you won't regret the views from the top!!

This hike can be easy or difficult because there are a few different ways to the top. We were staying at Rosario resort so we took the shuttle to cascade lake and started there. We followed the cold creek path that winds up the south west side. It is a constant elevation gain with many switchbacks. It took us about 2.5 hours to reach the top while taking tons of pictures along the way! It is very rewarding at the top, the views are incredible!

The only bad thing is about this trail is trying to get there...the ferries can be a nightmare. We drove it, then hiked it. Just because you can drive to the top does not mean it's not worth the hike. Read the whole story on my blog and see pictures. http://kellbell-whywouldanyonereadthis.blogspot.com/2012/07/mount-constitution.html

We climbed part of this trail, from Little Summit to the Mt. Constitution summit and then back. It was about 4.5 miles roundtrip. Not a huge amount of elevation gain, about 400 feet total, but it was gorgeous views the whole way. We saw only two other hikers, and about 15 mountain bikers (the trail is open to them from Sept.15 to May 15) so it was mostly isolated and quiet. Just perfect for us. Highly recommended to people of all ages and skill levels.