Mount Constitution Loop Trail

Mount Constitution Loop Trail is a 6.8 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Olga, Washington that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Great hike! Stunning views of Mount Baker and the many islands of the San Juans. We decided to go clockwise on the trail toward Little Summit to not have to hike the steep incline portion. Unfortunately, we didn’t have hiking poles, but we found a lot of great sticks along the trail to help with the steep descent. Very windy at the top so I recommend a wind breaker and layers to stay warm. Parts of the hike allow mountain bikers so be prepared for them. We saw three biking downhill today.

I clocked 1,713 elevation gain and 7.2 miles roundtrip. Have fun and enjoy the spectacular views!

I am going to be honest here. Don't hike the trail. Drive your car all the way to the top of Mt. Constitution, bring a lunch, sit there, enjoy and take in the spectacular view for an hour or two. That's what I did (hiked so much during the week, muscles were too sore). Seriously one of the most spectacular views you will see. You can walk up to the tower and learn about how it was built. Then sit some more and take in the mountain view.

This trail is really something to behold when you consider the intermittent stunning views of the San Juans and Mt. Baker along the way. I suggest going clockwise for sure to optimize the views and minimize the gruel of the climb as is done when going counter clockwise. This also makes the end third a beautiful easy walk through the forest floor and along the enchanting Mountain Lake. A rewarding dip in the clear waters could prove irresistible!

Good hike with great views of the Rosario Strait, Mt. Baker, and various islands in the San Juan Archipelago. You can add some distance by beginning at Cascade Lake. You can also follow a trail on the east side of Mountain Lake. If you begin by following Mountain Lake, you have a steeper climb. The trail is well defined and easy to follow and I did not find it difficult. All steep climbs are facilitated by switchbacks. It's a great way to spend several hours and getting to know the Salish Sea and the Archipelago.

An easy (I'm in mountaineer shape) loop in the Moran state park plus the Little Summit - nothing like a two-for-one deal! The tower at the top is a nice endpoint where you can see Mount Baker, the surrounding San Juan Islands, and the Olympics (at least if the haze from the fires were gone).

Be aware that there are stinging nettles on the trail - I hiked in shorts and brushed into it fairly early in the hike. My shins still feel tingly,

Once done, Orcas provides a general store and a few shops with some decent after hike food - great for when you are waiting for the ferry!

Spent approximately five hours here with a friend. Love the views!!! Lake, waterfall, various terrain, view of Mt. baker when you're at the top, castle and more. You can do all or some of coarse according to your ability and preference. Either way, I recommend and vote it as worth your time:)

A very enjoyable hike. Walking through the forest was beautiful, and I loved watching the vegetation change with the altitude.
We went anti-clockwise around the loop: started out walking along Mt Lake to Twin Lakes, then up to the summit. From carpark to summit took us about 1 hour 30 minutes. I’m not a hiker, so I was worried about the steep hill, but it was manageable, as the steep section is only about 1.5 miles.
The summit was quite crowded for memorial day weekend. The stone tower is closed for restoration, but you can still enjoy the amazing view. I found the people standing around smoking to be particularly offensive.
From there, we walked about 45 minutes to Little Summit. I think the view from here was almost as good, and we were the only people there!
From there, it took us another 40 minutes or so to walk back down to the car park.

very pretty hike with trek thru green forest, beautiful lakes and a great view, long history at the top. It's a bit frustrating seeing all the people driving to the top but the trail itself isn't very crowded even during 4th of July weekend.

Easy trail to go thru the deep forest, definitely much more fun than driving up

A very pretty hike. It starts off somewhat tough right away but actually eases out the closer you get to the peak. If you're not used to hiking then it will be a good workout but even fitter people will find a challenge to it. Currently (Feb. 2017) there's a few downed trees with a couple that aren't easy to climb over/under and will force you to probably have to leave the trail temporarily. There's probably great views along the way but, unfortunately, a cloud was directly on top of the mountain when I went so I saw nothing but mist.

In order to reach the trailhead from your car, you'll need to follow signs for Mt. Lake. There's a small parking lot (room enough for about 6 cars) along the lake. To the left of the shelter with the cooking stove is a trail to Little Summit. Follow the trail for 1 mile until you reach the crossroads where you can continue the 0.2 miles to Little Summit (might as well!) or veer right for another 2 miles to the top of Mt. Constitution. On the way back, you can opt to either return the way you came or cross the parking lot and road and take the trail leading to Twin Lakes. Further sites along the route involve the Twin Lakes and Cascade Falls. From September to May, be cautious of mountain bikers!

Thursday, October 06, 2016

Great views, a lot of history. 65 year old grandfather was able to enjoy as well.

Sunday, September 11, 2016

It's a climb.

Saturday, August 06, 2016

This was a great hike. I didn't think it was all that hard. We actually did this hike over Valentine's weekend. It was unusually warm, in the mid 70's at Rosario Resort. Took the good part of the day but would love to do it again!

Friday, May 13, 2016

Absolutely beautiful. The mountain kicked my ass but it was totally worth it.

Sunday, July 26, 2015

Have done this hike twice. The second time, I got married at the top. There's a school cave off to the right about 5/8 of the way up. Gorgeous views! Be aware there is a road up the back, so there will be sightseers at the top.

Monday, July 20, 2015

This trail is rough... It was the most intense incline I've hiked.

Monday, August 18, 2014

The Mt. Constitution trail is very pretty but tough. We knew what the elevation gain was going to be when we started and got worried come mile two when it felt like we had not ascended at all. Well, you work for it at the end. It was tough but worth it. It is a little odd though to get to the summit of a mountain and be greeted by tons of people who drove to the top in the car...

Wednesday, July 31, 2013

My husband and I hiked this trail from Mountain Lake and up the steep northeastern side of the mountain in January. The road was closed due to snow but we were DETERMINED to see the top. We set out in mid-afternoon and trekked for hours, eventually meeting the snow line. It seemed like the hike would never end and the sun was beginning to set! We made it to the top with just enough time to see the sun go down from the tower and then we made a mad scramble down the ridge trail. I'm glad we brought our headlamps as the final bit of the hike we trod along in darkness. It was a true adventure that I don't recommend. : ) But go in the warmer months with plenty of time to hike and you won't regret the views from the top!!

Thursday, September 06, 2012

This hike can be easy or difficult because there are a few different ways to the top. We were staying at Rosario resort so we took the shuttle to cascade lake and started there. We followed the cold creek path that winds up the south west side. It is a constant elevation gain with many switchbacks. It took us about 2.5 hours to reach the top while taking tons of pictures along the way! It is very rewarding at the top, the views are incredible!

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

The only bad thing is about this trail is trying to get there...the ferries can be a nightmare. We drove it, then hiked it. Just because you can drive to the top does not mean it's not worth the hike. Read the whole story on my blog and see pictures. http://kellbell-whywouldanyonereadthis.blogspot.com/2012/07/mount-constitution.html