Mount Zion Trail is a 3.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Quilcene, Washington that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 3.4 miles Elevation Gain: 1,295 feet Route Type: Out & Back

From Quilcene, north 1.5 miles on U.S. 101 to Lords Lake Road. Follow Lords Lake Road to the lake and turn left onto Forest Service Road 28. Drive to Bon Jon Pass and turn right onto Forest Service Road 2810. The trailhead is 2 miles ahead on the left. OR Take Palo Alto Rd off of HWY 101. Follow road all the way to the top, and take a Left at FR 28. Keep left, follow main road until reaching a Wildfire Prevention sign and take a Right. Continue on FR 28, keep right for a couple miles and it will take you directly to the trailhead.

This is a great trail for a quick workout, while enjoying the fresh rainforest mountain air. Though the trail is short, the ascent is relatively steep. I went yesterday wearing brand new hiking boots, and have several blisters on my feet today. No mind-blowing summit views await you at the top, but still beautiful. You get a tiny bit of sub-alpine feeling at the summit, which is nice. I found an old outhouse in the woods, which I'm assuming was used by the lookout once upon a time when this summit housed a lookout shelter. It's also worth noting the drive to the trailhead is relatively quick and easy. On the way up, past Lord's Lake, stay right at every fork you come to. Then, on the way back out, stay left. And if you have a fear of firearms, this trail might not be for you as there are several gun ranges in the area, some of which you'll pass en route to the trailhead. The gunshots will be audible as you hike.

Short trail, but steep the entire way up! There are 2 view points that are worth stopping at when you get 1.4 and 1.49 miles in. It was raining throughout my hike, so when I got to the top of Mount Zion Trail, there were absolutely no views. Oh and don’t confuse the Sleepy Hallow Trail that is next to the the parking. The Mount Zion Trail is across the street! Overall a nice workout and short one if you have things to do.

icy

Good hike...it snowed a few inches before I got up there. White conditions at the top so didn’t see anything. Hoping to do again.

Nice short hike. 1.7 up and 1.7 down. A fairly steep grade- but not too many switchbacks. The trail is more 'moderate' than 'difficult'- not any overgrowth to speak of and easy to navigate. We went in late December and there was only a sprinkling of ice and snow. . We were lucky to have some sun and clear skies. When considering the "climb difficulty vs view payoff ratio"- I would only rate the view as 'fair'. Not much bang for the buck. Still- it was fun and gave us a nice little workout...

Wonderful trail. Road in was in very good condition, only had a dusting of snow right at the trailhead. One downed tree on the trail but otherwise clear. By the top there was an inch or two of snow on the ground but very beautiful. Too fogged im to to see the view from the top.

Beautiful day with lots of sun and some lovely views along the trail. a little bit of frost and some ground ice up top but clear aside from that. did not realize it takes a different path than the Discover pass. You need a Northwest forest pass but you can pick up at the ranger station

Trail is great and definitely maintained. It's a slight uphill climb and turns into a little workout. But overall hike was good. A little foggy but it's beautiful to see the fog seeping into the valley past the mountains. But beware getting there is a little tough. The roads aren't marked well and I couldn't find the trailhead. The AllTrails App definitely helped me find the trailhead. I only downloaded it because I was reading others comments about it working. So it was my backup plan.

Great hike. As advertised.

ohv/off road driving

hard trails to drt bike

The trail had a moderate climb over a good day hike distance. The weather was great, hiking through clouds. Too much gun fire in the valley below which is a detraction from the peace of the hike. Still a good outing

Great hike. We had 5 kids ages from 4 to 11 who did great. The trail was not hard to get to the road is dirt and gravel, parking lot is a decent size with an outhouse. The trail head is marked with a bulletin board. Going up is not rough even for the little ones. We got to the top and kept going walking a narrow ridge to another area where there is a great view and is a good place to have lunch.

Great day hike for the family. It’s a pretty steep, but short climb to the peak with a few lookouts along the way. Most of the lower portions of the trail are heavily wooded and narrow. Not crowded, yet not lonely either. Didn’t see a view from the peak due to fog, would recommend on a sunny day. There are gunshots echoing everywhere so keep in mind that may scare pets.

Great hike. Pretty look outs. Lots of bees!

Beautiful trail through dense conifers at a very steep incline. Rugged, not one for a casual stroll, but well worth the brief views on the trail, large boulder outcrops, and final mountain peak vistas. At a slow pace, with plant ID breaks, and a moment of rest at the summit took about 2 and a half hours.

Wasn't able to complete because someone was firing guns off not far from the trail and it was freaking our dogs out. Hoping to go back without them next week and try again. Beautiful trail for the first mile that we saw of it.

Hiked with my baby on my back and the trails were in great condition. It was an overcast day so only got a glimpse of a Mountain View but can imagine on a clear day it’s a great view. The rhododendrons were bloomed and beautiful.

Beautiful trail, nice and easy. Good one to take the dogs on. Saw a handful of people for a Tuesday. Sun was shining, it was a beautiful day!

I knew it was going to be a crummy day but I wanted to get out anyways. I had done this hike a few years ago and decided it was time to check it out again. I took the pup with me and we left town around 8, got to the trailhead around 9:15. The directions on here got me to the trailhead but there is a much easier route that’s accessible to any sort of vehicle (Take Palo Alto rd all the way to top, go left at fr 28 and follow the main road up). I’m thankful to have been in a 4Runner, deep ruts and potholes the route it took me. Other than that, the road is great, takes you right to the trailhead. Saw no one all day. AllTrails says we did 2.5 miles up, my watch confirmed with ~5 miles round trip. It started getting cloudy as we got to the top, made for a beautiful PNW hike, Rhodies are blooming all along the trail. Took us an hour and a half to get up. Continued on past where they claim the Peak is, a little trail straight ahead that takes you across the mountain and I’m sure would be beautiful 360 views on a clear day. It started to rain after a while, so we packed up and started heading down the hill. Trail is very maintained, it wasn’t too steep, it was just right. Did use my poles on the way down so my pup wasn’t just pulling me, poles could be nice for others. Started hailing on our way down, downpour by the time we got to the car. It was a wonderful hike, I look forward to coming back!

Mon May 06 2019

This trail will definitely get your heart pumping... Trail is well maintained and mostly shaded, nice picnic area at the trail head. Access road are well maintained no issue for regular cars to make it.

Mon Apr 29 2019

no snow, no people, peaceful, fun hike. definitely doing it again soon

Sat Apr 20 2019

Great trail with a short route to the top. Clouds come and go quick. No snow on the tail, but off to the sides.

Mon Apr 08 2019

Road signs are broken or missing, so it was hard to know if you were on the right road, but figured it out with a map in hand and eliminating the roads that weren’t right. Still slush on the top half of the trail, but no equipment needed. Foggy at the top so I didn’t see the views, but a good workout.

Wed Apr 03 2019

The road has a few bad potholes in the beginning but overall it's well maintained and no snow up to the trailhead. The hike is nice and very quiet. I didn't see another soul in the mountain today. The whole trip took me just under 2 hours to hike with a 13 year old hound dog and about a 20 minute break at the summit. the view is nearly 360 and well worth the trouble.

Mon Jan 14 2019

Fantastic. One of my favorites we’ve done so far. It is a harder hike but not impossible. My husband dog and I made it up in less than an hour. Ran into people along the way but not too much. The drive in is rural so download everything beforehand. There’s snow up at the top there still which was great. Beyond amazing views. Fabulous all around.

Fri Oct 19 2018

good workout,had to work for some good views,beautiful weather sunny 65°

Mon Oct 15 2018

Awesome hike, easy to find, forest roads weren’t bad at all compared to a lot of places we hike around Rainier. The directions link was spot-on. Me and the bf did this on a Saturday with the dogs, only saw a few people. It was the perfect length considering it’s a pretty good incline (we also got there late in the day). It’ll definitely get your heart pumping, but the trail was really well maintained. Beautiful views from the ridge line at the top.

Wed Oct 10 2018

LOVED IT!! My pup and I made it up in 30 mins...it was a lot of work to be fair ☺️. . .KILLER views if you’re willing to go another 15 mins! Follow the trail to the right, when it Y’s go LEFT and you’ll come to a BEAUTIFUL view point!!