Mount Washington Trail

Mount Washington Trail is a 8.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near North Bend, Washington that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

Discovery Pass required for parking

22 minutes ago

Very nice trail with lots of snow as you get close to the top

Decent but not great. Too much overgrowth in some areas but the views are ok.

This hike has a great view at the top. One of the best for me to date. Definitely worth the climb. We went at the end of May and there was still snow pretty much all the way for the last mile+, which was fine (we had just regular (tennis, etc) shoes).
Bring a lunch to the top and enjoy (the view and the food).

I was pretty sure that my view was going to be obstructed from the haze that's been all over Seattle due to the BC wildfires and I was unfortunately right so I cannot comment on that.

The trail, however, I can. It jumps back and forth between small rocks, dirt, and larger rocks for the whole hike and I can't say I enjoyed it. Trail was also very overgrown in some areas. It did have several breaks in the trees that were populated with wild flowers which was nice. The grade is pretty moderate (hence the rating given to it) so it's more accessible than others in the area.

Compared to Mt. Teneriffe and Granite Mtn, this trail wasn't all that great to look at or be on. Lots of bugs early in the morning on my ascent and they seemed to disappear on the descent. Not very much hiking traffic either. You can use google maps to get you to the trail head (one bathroom, no signage for the trail) and then use the Twin Falls/John Wayne Pioneer Trail to get you to the actual trailhead. This small, and tucked away, trailhead is unmarked just like in the parking area and can be found on your left at about 0.4 miles from the parking lot.

Challenging with some great views. Be prepared for a lot of loose aggregate on the trail.

Started out great. Challenging. Will complete at a later date.

Five stars for the views, three stars for the trail itself. Very rocky in a lot of parts to the point you don't risk looking up for fear of rolling an ankle. Overgrown in some spots but not unmanageable. Trailhead could use a sign, and the app helped greatly in finding the entrance. After that things are marked well. Hiking poles and bug spray strongly recommended.

Easy-to-intermediate but not very crowded hike. Nice views, but summit itself totally underwhelming.

rock climbing

Beautiful.

Started at 8am, finished at 3:30pm. There were about 10 cars parked at 8am. Trail is very steep and straight. Uphill is hard on the legs and lungs. Downhill is hard on the feet. The loose gravel can make you slip as you go downhill. The entry to the trail from the wide dirt road is easy to miss. There's a cairn but it was already knocked over by the afternoon. The spot near the summit has the best view but only a few places to sit. The summit has a big rock, a view of the freeway and a big hole, and like a weather station antenna.

I did this trail Sunday 7/9 and started at about 10am. The parking lot only had a few cars, and there wasn't a lot of people on the trail. It starts out kind of steep for a while and eventually has a few long stretches where it levels out. This is such a fun trail for running. The wildflowers are so beautiful and the majority of the time you have shade. The view of Rainier at the summit was so amazing! I didn't stick around for too long due to the amount of people at the top. I saw a lot more people on my way down, so I recommend making this an early trip for people like me who don't like being around large crowds. This trail is very rocky, but I did fine with my trail running shoes. I had 1.5 L of water which worked out perfectly. My phone told me that I did over 10 miles, so keep in mind that this might be longer than you think. The parking lot was packed when I got back to my car. Round trip, this took me about 3.5 hours. Love this trail!

Awesome hike....totally worth the view!

I am out of shape starting this season. But as a decently experienced hiker, this hike is brutal. I don't know how 3,000+ mile elevation gain in 4 miles with the terrain on this trail isn't rated as difficult. It was harder going down than up, because of all the loose rocks and gravel. There were a ton of bugs at the top, which kept us from staying too long. Trail seemed well maintained. Improving signage might help a bit. The trailhead was a bit confusing to find as you climb up a steep beginning then come to a forest road, walk along that for a little bit then see a sign that has "mt wa trailhead 150m on the left" written on the post in sharpie. Wish we had a view at the top but the clouds moved in. We got to about 3900 ft and got a sweet view of the valley so that made up for the obstructed view at the top. So all in all, don't do this hike without rugged hiking shoes, hiking poles, and a ton of patience. Hardest hike I've ever done. Perfect weather though mid 60s and cloudy.

Snow almost all melted at the top. Most of the trail is covered in loose gravel

Very glad to have trekking poles on this hike for the few remaining snowfields and loose gravel in some sections. Snow has melted enough that you don't need to rely on microspikes.

Beginner hiker and was looking for something a little more challenging and this hike was perfect. Snow near the top is melting and made it a little slippery and slushy when navigating. Microspikes and poles definitely helped and I couldn't imagine not having them. Incredible views at the top of and not crowded even though it was a holiday weekend. Only reason for 4/5 stars was that the trail wasn't as clearly marked as some I've been on. Would absolutely recommend!

Nice sunny day today. The parking lot was pretty full when we got there at about 10:45. I would recommend getting there earlier to avoid the crowds. Total time up and down was just over three hours, so a little bit slower than normal. The trail is well enough marked.
The trail is in good shape overall for the first two miles or so. As you approach ~3000 feet, you'll run into snowmelt streams and puddles; at some points, the water runs down the trails, so be ready to get your feet wet. Having trekking poles helped quite a bit here.
Once you get past the puddles and streams, the snow starts. By the time you get here it should be soft and well-compacted from the numerous people that have already hiked the trail. I had poles and no micro-spikes while my buddy had no poles and no micro-spikes; we both made good time up the final section, so take that as you will based on your skill level. The poles helped me not fall on my butt so I could move more quickly.
Overall, I had a good time on the hike; unfortunately, Rainier had some clouds and there was a huge group at the top so we couldn't get very good pictures. Definitely worth it :)

Great day today. Lower Trail is in rough shape. Mid-level smooths out nicely. Must have micro spikes for the last 1 1/4 miles. Lots of snow and Trail is very narrow.

Excellent trail, with a lot of scenic overlooks. snow everywhere over 3,000ft elevation

great hike! used my micro spikes the last mile or so as the show was pretty deep. took my dog and he loved it.