Mount Washington Trail

Mount Washington Trail is a 7.9 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near North Bend, Washington that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

ice climbing

rock climbing

Discovery Pass required for parking

Easy-to-intermediate but not very crowded hike. Nice views, but summit itself totally underwhelming.

rock climbing

Beautiful.

Started at 8am, finished at 3:30pm. There were about 10 cars parked at 8am. Trail is very steep and straight. Uphill is hard on the legs and lungs. Downhill is hard on the feet. The loose gravel can make you slip as you go downhill. The entry to the trail from the wide dirt road is easy to miss. There's a cairn but it was already knocked over by the afternoon. The spot near the summit has the best view but only a few places to sit. The summit has a big rock, a view of the freeway and a big hole, and like a weather station antenna.

I did this trail Sunday 7/9 and started at about 10am. The parking lot only had a few cars, and there wasn't a lot of people on the trail. It starts out kind of steep for a while and eventually has a few long stretches where it levels out. This is such a fun trail for running. The wildflowers are so beautiful and the majority of the time you have shade. The view of Rainier at the summit was so amazing! I didn't stick around for too long due to the amount of people at the top. I saw a lot more people on my way down, so I recommend making this an early trip for people like me who don't like being around large crowds. This trail is very rocky, but I did fine with my trail running shoes. I had 1.5 L of water which worked out perfectly. My phone told me that I did over 10 miles, so keep in mind that this might be longer than you think. The parking lot was packed when I got back to my car. Round trip, this took me about 3.5 hours. Love this trail!

Awesome hike....totally worth the view!

I am out of shape starting this season. But as a decently experienced hiker, this hike is brutal. I don't know how 3,000+ mile elevation gain in 4 miles with the terrain on this trail isn't rated as difficult. It was harder going down than up, because of all the loose rocks and gravel. There were a ton of bugs at the top, which kept us from staying too long. Trail seemed well maintained. Improving signage might help a bit. The trailhead was a bit confusing to find as you climb up a steep beginning then come to a forest road, walk along that for a little bit then see a sign that has "mt wa trailhead 150m on the left" written on the post in sharpie. Wish we had a view at the top but the clouds moved in. We got to about 3900 ft and got a sweet view of the valley so that made up for the obstructed view at the top. So all in all, don't do this hike without rugged hiking shoes, hiking poles, and a ton of patience. Hardest hike I've ever done. Perfect weather though mid 60s and cloudy.

6/26/2017 (Monday) - Mostly cloudy, 68-75F, mild and dry. Trail is in good condition, no mud, no snow (all melted two weeks ago). The lower first mile is steep with slippy gravels, maybe most difficult. View at the top is good today as clouds rapidly gather, disperse, or rise, displaying Mt Rainier in the distance and lakes at the foothills. Very light traffic, only six groups including us, and we are the 2nd. Got the right day to take this hike.