Mount Washington Trail is a 8.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near North Bend, Washington that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

Discovery Pass required for parking

This hike is nice and beautiful. It’s an easy hike up and a great place. Unlike Mount Si and Mailbox Peak Trail, this trail is not crowded at all. The view at top is gorgeous.

Trail condition is pretty good. There is a creek crossing that’s not bad at all. The upper 1.5 miles has a thin layer of snow (about 1”) but no microspikes are needed.

Parking usually is not a problem at this hike because it is less crowded.

My AllTrails recording says 8.2 mi round trip and 3287 ft elevation gain. It took us 3 hours and 45 minutes to do the whole hike up and down.

We hiked the trail for the first time today and really enjoyed it. We were not prepared with the right gears and got soaked all the way up ! Hale and heavy rain. It is definitely a long long ascent and very steep ascent to the summit. We really enjoyed it tough!! The way down is tough due to the loose rocks. This trail is harder than mailbox peak in my opinion. One of the dog hikes with us and he did fine. A must do if you want a nice Sunday challenge.

Trail is easy to follow and maintained but it is pretty steep and it’s made of about 80% loose rocks which made it hard on the knees. The other part I didn’t care for was I could hear the interstate almost the entire time until I reached the last 1.2 miles. So it wasn’t really a peaceful “nature” escape from the city life but it was still a nice day hike. Heard a couple woodpeckers and even picked a couple huckleberries. Started at 10am and hit the peak at about 12:30. I choose a poor day to go because the top was nothing but fog but I got a few nice views on the way back down once I climbed back out of the mist/fog. I only saw a couple people on the way back down so foot traffic was almost none. It was a good, hard, work-out but definitely could have been in better shape before I tried it haha my dogs loved it and were pretty tired by the end.

Good trail. Definitely and up and back route. Up, up, and up. The trail was reasonably dry except for the water on the brush that is encroaching on the trail in spots. We got quite wet brushing by them but it dried quickly in the sun and there was plenty of that as we reached the summit. A lot of rock and scree. Great views at the top.

Finally heathy enough to try this. It bugged me every time I drove up I-90 and saw it sitting up there. Did it last Saturday on a nice cool, but cloudy day. Got a glimpse of Chester Morse as clouds lifted for a minute. Loved the fact it was not crowded. Only saw about 10 people all day. I was slow up and down, including a clumsy stumble. Just a flesh wound, so nothing other than some scrapes and pride. Funny, my first thought was “did anyone see that” knowing full well no one was around.

Trail is not as well travelled as Mt Si despite their similar statistics. It has some more rocky spots, hence the stumble.

I’m not much of a repeat hiker, too many places to hike, but would like to do this again on a clear day.

Great cool weather today for our first "hard" rated training hike. The trail is a bit hard to find in a couple of spots, but there are signs at most of the decision points. Be prepared for lots of rocks and overgrown berry bushes flanking long sections of the trail. Minimal bugs and great opportunity for views if skies are clear. Light traffic made this an enjoyable hike.

Trail well maintained, nice view on the top, lots of berries , no bugs

this is a great out and back with several options to head off on various trails. it's lightly traveled and the trail is in great shape. amazing views in every direction

Wonderful view today. Perfect conditions! If you have not done this one yet, put this one on your to-do list!

Trail was well maintained and much less traveled than the other nearby hikes. The views of North Bend, Mt. Baker and Mt. Rainier at the top were well worth the 3200' elevation gain.

Trail was in pretty good condition. A lot of friendly people on the trail. Got to the top around noon and the views started opening up once the clouds started cooking off.

Hiked this a couple weeks ago. Rainy and foggy day, so missed the views at the top. Pretty steady incline the whole way up. Let me know how out of shape I've gotten. Hardly any other people on the trail and my dog did great on it. Definitely will be back on a nicer day.

Great training hike. Sadly no view when we were there. The trail is completely snow-free except for one tiny patch about a mile from the top.

Well I wish I had picked a better day to hike this. While I enjoyed the hike to the top (mostly shaded and through a wonderful forest with steady elevation gain) unfortunately it was raining pretty much the entire way up and so we didn’t get too much of a view on the top. Also too many pebbles on the way down. But it’s a great hike if you want to get away from the crowd.

There are some incredible views at the top that make the climb worth it. However, I’m not sure why this is rated as moderate. We went out thinking we would get some nice switchbacks, but this is pretty much straight uphill the entire way. It was a great hike but should be rated as hard.

Great trail! A bit intense for novice hikers or kids. There is still quite a bit of snow covering the last couple of miles. Water proof boots, and/or and extra pair of wool socks is definitely recommend. No need for snow shoes or crampons. I always have my microspikes in my pack, and used them on the descent. There are several view points nearing the summit. Be sure to stop and see them all! You’ll be glad you did.

Still enough snow that I was glad to have sturdy waterproof boots, but other than that I didn't need any special gear. Some areas are slippery where the snow has been packed down and started to ice over.

Good hike. Great view of Mt. Rainier!

We did on St Patrick’s Day and loved it. It was challenging but enjoyable. Definitely want to bring poles and microspikes. Snowshoes not needed. Hit snow at 1.5 miles all the way to too. Great winter hike with not a lot of people. Probably better in winter as you get more views and less overgrowth on trail. Slower going in the snow. Took us about 2 hrs 45 minutes to the top. Trailhead can be a little tough to find. From parking lot climb up to logging road and stay right. Go further and then stay right at the next junction with the John Wayne Pioneer Trail/Iron Horse Trail Look. Go about 150 yards on left and look for cairn on the road and trees carved with Mt WA.

Very nice trail with lots of snow as you get close to the top

Monday, October 09, 2017

Decent but not great. Too much overgrowth in some areas but the views are ok.

Monday, August 14, 2017

This hike has a great view at the top. One of the best for me to date. Definitely worth the climb. We went at the end of May and there was still snow pretty much all the way for the last mile+, which was fine (we had just regular (tennis, etc) shoes).
Bring a lunch to the top and enjoy (the view and the food).

Monday, August 07, 2017

I was pretty sure that my view was going to be obstructed from the haze that's been all over Seattle due to the BC wildfires and I was unfortunately right so I cannot comment on that.

The trail, however, I can. It jumps back and forth between small rocks, dirt, and larger rocks for the whole hike and I can't say I enjoyed it. Trail was also very overgrown in some areas. It did have several breaks in the trees that were populated with wild flowers which was nice. The grade is pretty moderate (hence the rating given to it) so it's more accessible than others in the area.

Compared to Mt. Teneriffe and Granite Mtn, this trail wasn't all that great to look at or be on. Lots of bugs early in the morning on my ascent and they seemed to disappear on the descent. Not very much hiking traffic either. You can use google maps to get you to the trail head (one bathroom, no signage for the trail) and then use the Twin Falls/John Wayne Pioneer Trail to get you to the actual trailhead. This small, and tucked away, trailhead is unmarked just like in the parking area and can be found on your left at about 0.4 miles from the parking lot.

Monday, August 07, 2017

Challenging with some great views. Be prepared for a lot of loose aggregate on the trail.

Saturday, August 05, 2017

Started out great. Challenging. Will complete at a later date.

Saturday, July 29, 2017

Five stars for the views, three stars for the trail itself. Very rocky in a lot of parts to the point you don't risk looking up for fear of rolling an ankle. Overgrown in some spots but not unmanageable. Trailhead could use a sign, and the app helped greatly in finding the entrance. After that things are marked well. Hiking poles and bug spray strongly recommended.

Monday, July 17, 2017

Easy-to-intermediate but not very crowded hike. Nice views, but summit itself totally underwhelming.

rock climbing
Sunday, July 16, 2017

Beautiful.

Sunday, July 16, 2017

Started at 8am, finished at 3:30pm. There were about 10 cars parked at 8am. Trail is very steep and straight. Uphill is hard on the legs and lungs. Downhill is hard on the feet. The loose gravel can make you slip as you go downhill. The entry to the trail from the wide dirt road is easy to miss. There's a cairn but it was already knocked over by the afternoon. The spot near the summit has the best view but only a few places to sit. The summit has a big rock, a view of the freeway and a big hole, and like a weather station antenna.

Monday, July 10, 2017

I did this trail Sunday 7/9 and started at about 10am. The parking lot only had a few cars, and there wasn't a lot of people on the trail. It starts out kind of steep for a while and eventually has a few long stretches where it levels out. This is such a fun trail for running. The wildflowers are so beautiful and the majority of the time you have shade. The view of Rainier at the summit was so amazing! I didn't stick around for too long due to the amount of people at the top. I saw a lot more people on my way down, so I recommend making this an early trip for people like me who don't like being around large crowds. This trail is very rocky, but I did fine with my trail running shoes. I had 1.5 L of water which worked out perfectly. My phone told me that I did over 10 miles, so keep in mind that this might be longer than you think. The parking lot was packed when I got back to my car. Round trip, this took me about 3.5 hours. Love this trail!