Mount Walker

Mount Walker is a 3.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Quilcene, Washington that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

2014 feet

wheelchair friendly

off road driving

Directions from Quilcene: Travel south on US Highway 101 for 5 miles. Turn off onto Forest Service Road 2730 and continue for a quarter mile to the trailhead.

It was nice and beautiful but to windy at the top!

Good hike, very steep, as a averagely fit 23 year old the way up is definitely challenging and very steep without many breaks, the way down will definitely hurt if you don’t have the right shoes and a walking stick. The South point gives a nice view of Seattle as well!

Feb 11 - Great view up top on a sunny day. Wish there wasn’t a fence. Worth walking to the south viewpoint as well. Crampons not needed, only a small amount of packed snow at top.

STEEP.
But worth it! My legs killed by the end of this one! No water on the trail, make sure to bring plenty.

Great hike. The views were stunning. It’s a there and back trial with an option to walk on a road (which adds about 1.5 miles but not as steep). The trail is steep to very steep all the way up but very much worth the view once you make it to the top. I suggest going on a clear day. The trail is very well maintained.

The view at the top is definitely worth hiking this trail, but it is steep and basically an incline the whole way up. I’m moderately in decent shape and had a lot of trouble getting to the top. I went early enough that there were no other hikers which was nice and you could see Seattle from the top on the southern viewpoint. I do think this trail should be rated difficult due to the constant steep incline but it’s definitely doable even for less avid hikers. Just need to take your time and take breaks whenever you feel you need one.

So Beautiful! I went here on December 26th around 12pm. There was fresh snow on the trail and the pine trees and man, it really brought out the Christmas spirit! I hiked to the top of the mountain through this winter wonderland and let me say, it wasn’t easy. The incline is a rough, but it’s safe. The trail is clearly marked and you can either take the trail or walk up the road. We jogged down the road because at 3pm it started to get dark and more icy.Our husky thought it was a piece of cake. The top was breathtaking and I could see a lot more than I thought I would. The mist going around Mt St Helens was so magical looking! Words cannot describe this hike, you just have to go!Hands down one of my most favorites hikes of all time.

This hike kicked my butt! Totally worth it! The views were beautiful!

Only thing I would say is too change the experience level to difficult. :)

off road driving

Great easy trail! A little slippery towards the top as there is fresh snow fall! But amazing view once at the top!!

We were the first and only ones on this hike at 10am, not sure why as it was perfect, but we did see hikers on our way down. This climb is steep but so worth the views at the top. The snow gradually got deeper and I recommend spikes and poles. The sun peaked out allowing a fantastic view!

Amazing hike! The incline is non-stop pretty steep! Must be in decent physical shape or you'll be disliking life, let alone your quads will be on fire for a few days. It's 2.5miles hike to the summit (2,800ft) ... WELL-WORTH it! The views are breathtaking! Views of Seattle and Mt. Rainer on one side, and views of mountains, peaks and valleys on the other.

Very steep but well maintained trail. Basically a 2 mile climb with the summit at almost 2100 feet. I'll definitely go back.

We hiked up on the trail and back on the road. GPS said just over 7 miles. Trail up was a nice workout, and we only saw 2 other groups. We liked the "teaser" views through the trees as we hiked. Views at the top were really great, especially Mt Rainier although we could barely make it out with the haze. Nice quick hike!

I would rate this at a very high moderate level. An elevation gain/loss of 2000+ feet in just over 2 miles is pretty grueling.

trail is steep all the way up. Dry weather has made the trail slippery both going up and down. amazing views at the top when the clouds move out.

great hike but steep and dry conditions make the trail slippery because of dust.

beautiful views at top. outhouses at top. parking at top.

when they say steep, they aren't kidding. We only saw 1 group of hikers on the trail, and they were leaving as we got there. There are great places to stop and get picture along the path. Cell signal was spotty, but there were plenty of people at the top. My first real hike, and it was definitely exciting.

Very steep trail with a lot of switchbacks. I am in pretty good shape and found this difficult. Would definitely suggest using walking sticks or hiking poles on this trail. Also there are multiple signs saying you're in cougar country so be sure to bring some kind of animal spray just in case

I did this hike in April 2016, when I was visiting a friend in WA. It was breathtaking. A pretty significant incline but so worth it at the top! We visited both summits while we were up there. I definitely have plans of getting back up there when I eventually visit WA again! (Also, you can drive to the top too if you don't want to hike).