Mount Walker

Mount Walker is a 3.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Quilcene, Washington that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

2099 feet

wheelchair friendly

off road driving

Directions from Quilcene: Travel south on US Highway 101 for 5 miles. Turn off onto Forest Service Road 2730 and continue for a quarter mile to the trailhead.

We hiked up on the trail and back on the road. GPS said just over 7 miles. Trail up was a nice workout, and we only saw 2 other groups. We liked the "teaser" views through the trees as we hiked. Views at the top were really great, especially Mt Rainier although we could barely make it out with the haze. Nice quick hike!

I would rate this at a very high moderate level. An elevation gain/loss of 2000+ feet in just over 2 miles is pretty grueling.

trail is steep all the way up. Dry weather has made the trail slippery both going up and down. amazing views at the top when the clouds move out.

great hike but steep and dry conditions make the trail slippery because of dust.

beautiful views at top. outhouses at top. parking at top.

when they say steep, they aren't kidding. We only saw 1 group of hikers on the trail, and they were leaving as we got there. There are great places to stop and get picture along the path. Cell signal was spotty, but there were plenty of people at the top. My first real hike, and it was definitely exciting.

Very steep trail with a lot of switchbacks. I am in pretty good shape and found this difficult. Would definitely suggest using walking sticks or hiking poles on this trail. Also there are multiple signs saying you're in cougar country so be sure to bring some kind of animal spray just in case

I did this hike in April 2016, when I was visiting a friend in WA. It was breathtaking. A pretty significant incline but so worth it at the top! We visited both summits while we were up there. I definitely have plans of getting back up there when I eventually visit WA again! (Also, you can drive to the top too if you don't want to hike).

Up hill the while way, but nice views.

Was foggy when we went last Saturday, 6/3, and definitely a butt kicker, but totally worth it. Great way to get the season started. That 20% average grade was a steep reminder of how much I need to work on. Ha!

I would rate this as more on the difficult side of moderate even though it's short. I thought my tennis shoes would be just fine but ended up slipping and sliding. Both me and my friend fell a couple times. Gorgeous views though.