Mount Walker

Mount Walker is a 4.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Quilcene, Washington that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

wheelchair friendly

off road driving

Directions from Quilcene: Travel south on US Highway 101 for 5 miles. Turn off onto Forest Service Road 2730 and continue for a quarter mile to the trailhead.

Took trail in mid spring after road opened. Terrific views rewarded the hike. Trail crowd was light but topside was crowded with those who drove up. There are benches to enjoy the view of Mt Rainier but I had to wait my turn to sit down and have the snack I packed to eat after the hike up. Furthermore a group of people were chatting very loudly killing the vibe of the view.

This hike might be better before the road opens.

Beautiful hike through the forest (hiked 7/7). The trail is well maintained and easy to hike up. I thought this was difficult because of the steep, constant climb. When you reach the summit, don’t stop there; walk the extra half mile past the parking lot to get another view of puget sound.

Did this hike with a friend a few months ago and like all the other reviews have stated, ITS STEEP. You'll definitely be feeling it at the end. If you've got bad knees i highly suggest trekking poles. We werent as fortunate to get the gorgeous views that others have gotten , instead we were rewarded with a ton of fog, and a killer workout!

Beautiful hike, but not for the faint of heart. It is rated moderate, but is very steep and can destroy someone who is not in the right shape for it.

You'll definitely have spaghetti legs after this hike. Consistent uphill all the way to the top, and a quad killer descent back down. Trail is in great shape, I'm sure the view from the top is awesome when not socked in by clouds.

Difficult at times, and really discouraging when you get to the top and see cars and a lot of people.

This is definitely a harder hike, very consistently up hill on the way up without really any break. It took us a while, but I had our 25 pound toddler on my back and we took quite a few breaks. The view at the end was beautiful, well worth it.

hard hike

Good Conditioning trail :)

loved this. killer elevation gains were incredibly worth it! Between our gear and the switchbacks, we were dead exhausted at the summit. The views as you ascend peak through here and there but the top was incredible. plan on returning again soon!

Very difficult hike. Definitely worth driving to the top but the hike is almost straight up the whole time. It was rainy and cloudy when we went so there was basically no view but I'm sure it's beautiful when it's clear. The mileage is a little off-the hike is 4 miles round trip

Beautiful hike. Currently 30weeks pregnant and got pretty winded at times but overall it wasn’t too bad. Great trail to bring my dog on as well.

A leg burner for sure, and great cardio workout. Views left a little to be desired and there are better hikes in the area. But great to be outside nonetheless.

Great workout on a super steep but short hike. Clear views at the top today.

Excellent hike / workout that is sort but sweet - beautiful views at the top!

Great trail that will give you a workout. It was great for the dog. The lookout at the top was a bit socked in so the view can be a bit lackluster if conditions are right.

I chose this trail due to its Moderate rating in difficulty, but damn, it was definitely a reminder of how out of shape I am. Bring hella water. This trail does not let up, it’s literally straight steep for 2 miles. So just a little warning if you get a little huffy and puffy like me. If I would have known, I would have chose a longer hike with less of an incline ! Haha the view is totally worth it though!

great views of North and South sound

This was an amazing trail! It was a constant workout on the way up, but only two miles, so not too bad. The trail is in great condition! Almost all of the snow was gone, just a little bit at the north view point. Both views were breath taking! Coming down was tough on my knees even with poles, but still loved the hike!

Very good hike. I would say moderate to strenuous. Views on top are amazing, mountains on the North view and beautiful views of Hood Canal on South view about another half mile.

One of the best trails in Washington! The scenery is breathtaking on the top.
A little icy the last part of the trails so microspikes were helpful.

Great hike, didn’t go all the way up seeing as we’re not in our best shape and we ran into slippery snow and forgot spikes. expect a solid 2 miles of all up hill. Plan to try again soon though. Tough enough to slow me down and take breaks, but not so tough that it was impossible.

I’d say this is more hard than moderate. It’s 10-20% grades and 2,000 elevation gain at 2 miles up and another 2 down. I’d say poles or a walking stick would be a good idea. Look up the weather conditions before you go, it was a whiteout when I got to the top.

It was nice and beautiful but to windy at the top!

Good hike, very steep, as a averagely fit 23 year old the way up is definitely challenging and very steep without many breaks, the way down will definitely hurt if you don’t have the right shoes and a walking stick. The South point gives a nice view of Seattle as well!

Feb 11 - Great view up top on a sunny day. Wish there wasn’t a fence. Worth walking to the south viewpoint as well. Crampons not needed, only a small amount of packed snow at top.

STEEP.
But worth it! My legs killed by the end of this one! No water on the trail, make sure to bring plenty.

Great hike. The views were stunning. It’s a there and back trial with an option to walk on a road (which adds about 1.5 miles but not as steep). The trail is steep to very steep all the way up but very much worth the view once you make it to the top. I suggest going on a clear day. The trail is very well maintained.

The view at the top is definitely worth hiking this trail, but it is steep and basically an incline the whole way up. I’m moderately in decent shape and had a lot of trouble getting to the top. I went early enough that there were no other hikers which was nice and you could see Seattle from the top on the southern viewpoint. I do think this trail should be rated difficult due to the constant steep incline but it’s definitely doable even for less avid hikers. Just need to take your time and take breaks whenever you feel you need one.

So Beautiful! I went here on December 26th around 12pm. There was fresh snow on the trail and the pine trees and man, it really brought out the Christmas spirit! I hiked to the top of the mountain through this winter wonderland and let me say, it wasn’t easy. The incline is a rough, but it’s safe. The trail is clearly marked and you can either take the trail or walk up the road. We jogged down the road because at 3pm it started to get dark and more icy.Our husky thought it was a piece of cake. The top was breathtaking and I could see a lot more than I thought I would. The mist going around Mt St Helens was so magical looking! Words cannot describe this hike, you just have to go!Hands down one of my most favorites hikes of all time.