For a limited time only, save 30% on a year of AllTrails Pro!
Get Started
Learn more

Mount Teneriffe via Mount Teneriffe Trailhead is a 10 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near North Bend, Washington that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and nature trips and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length 10.0 mi Elevation gain 4,081 ft Route type Out & Back

Snow

Description
Waypoints (0)
Tips

Please note that the trail is often covered in snow and difficult to trek through much of the year. Discover Pass is required.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (187)
Photos (1053)
Recordings (173)
Completed (624)
Sourabh Bansal
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 26, 2020

i got lost on top of Mount Tenerife a couple of years ago. the snow can make trail spotting really hard and the traffic on the trail is pretty light. recommend this trail in the summer. the views are the best. you will not regret the climb of 4000ft. get good hiking poles and good shows for this one

Misha B.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 19, 2020
View Misha's Recording
Chad Bates
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 13, 2020
HikingBugsRockyScramble

Great day to hike to the top of Teneriffe today. The sky was mostly clear all day and the view of Rainer was beautiful. It was pretty quiet on the trail and only a couple of muddy spots. After trying it in February, this was much easier! It is still a long haul, but worth it!

View Chad's Recording
Logan Johnson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 8, 2020
HikingBugsOff trailRockyScramble

Took off work a little early on a pleasant midweek afternoon to give a shot at Mount Teneriffe via the infamous Kamikaze trail up from the falls. Pulled in the Mount Teneriffe lot, which is really large, but was maybe 1/4 full. Started on the trail towards the falls, saw quite a few people coming the other direction. The trail starts out really easy, relatively flat. Even saw a small garter snake in the middle of the path. After the split to head right towards the falls, the trail becomes a little more strenuous with some steep rocky switchbacks up to the falls. The falls were beautiful! Glad to have come this way and seen them. Poked around for a second before finding the boot path straight up the side of the ridge! And then up, up, up to Teneriffe! The path is every bit as steep as you have heard, it just follows straight up the ridge. A few times you have to use your hands to help your way up. But I found it very easy to follow, it was marked with tree blazes, and stick piles blocking false paths. If you’re in doubt, take the route that looks too steep to be a trail! I did pass a couple guys coming down. We stopped and talked for a second, but otherwise I had it all to myself. Got to the little mini scramble just short of the final summit, saw evidence of goats recently, but not the goats themselves. Made the final push up another mini scramble to the summit from there. The views were breathtaking! Couldn’t get enough of the full 360 perspective...the big snow covered beasts in the distance...all the familiar ones. Just spectacular. One note, swarm of biting bugs on the summit. I quickly put on bug spray and then got to enjoy things a little more. For my money, liked this summit better than Si. I did the old trail up Si a few weeks back, and found the views ok, and the summit crowded. Definitely suggest Teneriffe as a nice alternative. Headed back via the regular Teneriffe trail which is a very nice road basically down the mountain. Some nice views of Si and also of Teneriffe itself as you head down. Plenty of stream crossings and water sources too. A lot longer trail than the way up from the falls, but I was happy for the more gentle slope on the way down. Made it back for a total trip around 4.5 hours with 10.9 miles hiked.

View Logan's Recording
Sean Cramer
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 4, 2020
HikingRockyScramble

You can see rattlesnake ridge and the top of Mt. Si from the top. I suggest taking the Teneriffe trail all the way up because the kamikaze trail is pretty brutal to say the least

View Sean's Recording
Jeff Hamilton
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 22, 2020
Hiking

Absolutely stunning views from the top! Highly recommend, I’ve hiked a lot of the peaks in the North Bend/ Snoqualmie area and Mt Teneriffe is one the best views on the I-90 Corridor.

View Jeff's Recording
Alec Ilstrup
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 19, 2020
HikingBugsRockyScramble

I don’t recommend the route from Teneriffe Falls unless you’re looking for a real challenge. The “trail” is hard to see sometimes and it’s less of a trail and more of a scramble up a ridge line to the summit. Still fun though! The views from the top are incredible on a clear day. Also it’s super buggy at the summit so couldn’t stay long...

Neela G
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 15, 2020
HikingRocky

Well maintained trail

Sara Redler
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 14, 2020
HikingMuddyScramble
View Sara's Recording
Jane Petoskey
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 14, 2020
Hiking

Decently trafficked trail to the falls. No snow at the top this week, but muddy. Saw a mountain lion about 50 yards away under a large boulder heading down. Continued on swiftly with my friend and our strong and loyal Rhodesian Ridgeback (convinced she saved us on that one). Still recommend but be aware.

Tomboso Caceroso
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 2, 2020
Hiking

11.63 miles for this loop per my wife's Garmin, but totally worth it. The hike to the falls becomes gradually more difficult, but it isn't too difficult. The falls are worth seeing. From the falls you take the Kamakaze trail to summit. You follow the ridgeline and basically just go up (the last 0.75 miles climbs about 1700 vert feet). At the top you have a 360 view (cloud ceiling was too low for Rainier, but on a clear day it'd be prominent). We saw 5 mountain goats just east of and below the summit. Taking the more gradual route down was worth it, the Kamakaze trail was a bit wet and a slip/fall seemed likely. No snow on the Kamakaze trail. Small amount of packed snow on the gradual route down for around 0.33 miles. Our goldendoodle (70 pound/full size) dominated this hike without issue.

Mike Lee
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 14, 2020
Hiking

the hike was great, beautiful, challenging etc. but I was expecting the hike to be 7.1 like alltrails says it is, but it’s actually more like 10 miles. someone should update this. I got 4 miles in and realized it wouldn’t be another mile (and the steepest part of the trail) before getting to the top.

View Mike's Recording
Lei Wu
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 11, 2020
HikingScrambleSnow

The falls were very nice to admire. After that, a steep ascent with a few places needing scramble. Nothing was extra hard, but I had to pay attention to my footsteps very carefully. Snow covered the last 500 feet ( vertical) or so. There were footstep on the snow to follow. And I had hiking poles. So I was all right without micro spikes. Actually I had a pair of sandals, not too warm in the snow, but it was a hot day. So I got by without suffering too much. The view at the top was awesome, Mount Rainier was right there. And all other big mountains seem to be in the view. All the hiking is totally worth it. I took extra caution when going down. My sandals worked all right in the snow because the snow was more or less packed. Once snow stopped, I took off my sandals because they became slippery. I practiced barefoot hiking for a while until my sandals dried. After getting to the falls, the descent was smooth.

Seattle Wayne
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 7, 2020
HikingBugsMuddyRockySnow

Mount Teneriffe kicked my butt today. First, I neglected to read the part where the hike is 13 miles round trip. Secondly, I think I overestimated my abilities to complete a 13 mile hike this early in the season. I made it up to the Mount Si connector trail and that's where most of my problems started. The trail leading to Mount Si is absolutely buried in snow. The first .02 miles is snow/trail but after about .03, it's ankle deep, post-holing snow drifts. My legs were absolutely smoked at this juncture and I opted to turn around. Soon after I turned around, my legs began to cramp up. And not those little cramps that you can just rub out. These were Charlie-horse like cramps. I stopped at the Mount Si/Teneriffe junction deciding if I wanted to push on to the summit of Teneriffe or just call it. I ended up heading down. As I made my way down slowly, I encountered a couple with two young dogs. They asked me if I was okay with dogs since they had them off their leashes, and I happily obliged. The youngest one, (I think it was a black lab) came running at me with a large stick in it's mouth. He jumped up and buried his paw right into my crotch. I doubled over more in surprise then in pain and let out this guttural groan. I recovered quickly, snatched the stick from the dogs mouth and threw it up trail. After a quick conversation, we all went our separate ways. Not long after that, as I was walking down the trail, my right foot rolled out from underneath me and I took quite a tumble down the trail losing my hat in the process. As I laid there, in the middle of the trail, on my back, I was worried that I may have severely sprained an ankle. I slowly got to my feet with minor discomfort, retrieved my hat and walked up a few feet to investigate the culprit that put me on my backside. Nothing stood out to me as I stood there massaging my shin. I took a minor laceration on the inside of my finger and bumped my elbow pretty good but everything seemed to be in working order. I continued down the relatively dry trail crossing many small creeks that were easily negotiated, crossed over the four bridges that I passed over on the way up, (which were all dry and in good working order) and finally made it back to the parking lot. My left hip flexor was feeling minor discomfort after the fall but overall I felt in okay shape once back in the ol' Dodge Ram 4x4. It was quite a day on Mount Teneriffe. The parking lot was nearly full once I got back to my truck but I really only passed a handful of people on the way down. Everyone seemed to be practicing good social distancing and most everyone was wearing some kind of face covering. I'll certainly be back to summit this monster of a hike. And to think I was going to summit Teneriffe and then traverse up to Dixie Mountain summit.

Emma Hunt
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMarch 17, 2020
HikingIcyMuddyRockySnow

Took Teneriffe falls/kamikaze trail up to the summit, then the Teneriffe trail/connector down. Kamikaze trail is a beast! Icy, rocky and steep as anything. Fortunately the snow coverage started about 1/2mile in which made it “a little” easier to traverse. Poles and spikes are a must. Bluebird day and I was the only one at the summit. Insane 360degree views! Absolutely loved this hike but minus one star for the Kamikaze trail steepness haha