Mount Storm King

Mount Storm King is a 5.3 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Port Angeles, Washington that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, running, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from April until October.

Distance: 5.3 miles Elevation Gain: 2,349 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Directions from Port Angeles: Drive 20 miles west on Highway 101 to the Storm King Information Center. Follow the nature trail southward along Barnes Creek, under the highway, to a fork. Follow the Storm King Trail left at this split.

This hike is amazing, but not easy. I’ve completed a few moderate rated trails I felt were easy, so I thought I was ready for a hard. This was definitely that, for me! Pretty much uphill switchbacks the whole trail. It gets complicated once you get to the “trail no longer maintained “ sign. Had some fairly muddy spots, but ultimately still good to do at this time.

I loved this steep hike with lots of switchbacks. You start through a lush old growth forest then turn onto the trail. While it started foggy and quiet, I reached the exposed summit in about an hour. You can stop at the sign where it says the maintained trail ends, or you can continue further to the tippy top (takes about 5-10min and is a little technical). SO worth going to the very top. Stunning views of the nearby snow-dusted craigs and of Lake Crescent below, this is the perfect winter hike!

Really beautiful trail. Make sure to go past the ropes, beware of very friendly birds!

Very fun trail. Be ready for some climbing at the top!

BEAUTIFUL!!! Very slippery, crampons highly recommended. Also, don’t forget to pack that headlamp for that early sunset

I wouldn’t come out here past October because all you’re going to see from the top is fog. In regards to the distance, someone stated it is 5+ miles but that is not accurate. From the parking lot to the top of Mount Storm King is 1.8 miles meaning round trip it will be 3.6 miles. If you decide to go see the falls then the total distance would be around 4.6 miles.

Treacherous at the top with the ropes and loose rocks. Not a favorite.

Straight up one of the most fun trails ever. Amazing views. Ropes to climb (you don’t need gloves). And the birds at the top are spoiled rotten (uh, sadly?) and will PERCH ON YOUR HAND. Don’t miss this. P.S. notably, if you turn right instead of left at the top of the last rope, there is clearly more trail leading up to the next peak. This is not that hike.

Excellent view of the lake and surrounding mountains beyond rope section. Well worth it to climb with the ropes to the top lookout. Great workout.

Wow! This hike was tough and beautiful (we were a group of mid-30's mild hikers from Texas)! It begins with switchbacks right away. There is a bit of a fork somewhere closer to the top, stay to the left. There is a great scenic view before you reach the last part of the maintained trail (you'll see a sign). The final part includes ropes and the summit is a wonderful reward! You don't want to miss it!! The ropes can make people nervous, but the maintained trail is safe. There are birds as you get closer to the very top, people seem to enjoy it. I personally did not, so be on the lookout so you're not startled. Getting down was a bit tough on the knees and toes since it's a bit steep. We were fortunate to have wonderful weather (Nov 2, 2019). I recommend this hike!!

The trail gets 5 stars. But AllTrails description of this trail gets 3 stars. I want to point out that this trail is actually 5.6 miles out and back and not 3.9 miles as AllTrails suggests. The elevation gain is accurate. The maintained trail is 2.4 miles out, then there is 0.2 miles of rocky terrain that is unmaintained and finally you climb 0.2 miles of a steep mountain (about 120 ft elevation) using ropes to get to the most beautiful view of the crescent lake. So the total distance out and back is 5.6 miles. I have suggested a trail edit to AllTrails and hopefully it should be fixed when you read this. Otherwise be warned and come prepared to do a much longer hike. However like everyone else suggested, the hike is completely worth it.

Trail is steep with no mercy! Amazing workout, views but hard on the knees coming down. The look out on the rock was scary at the end but definitely worth going to slow if you’re afraid of heights! I’m so glad I pushed myself through it!

Perfect day for a hike. It’s enduring on the legs but the view is worth it. No snow or mud at all.

Sadly the weather was bad so the tough hike to the top led to some foggy views, but such a fun hike. Challenging but doable, and the ropes towards the top are so helpful

Hiked this one back in August on a camping trip to the Olympic National Forest! Awesome views and was able to catch the top right at the end of the day. We got back to the trailhead just before dark, and were the last two on the trail. Amazing views at the top made every switchback worth getting there. The ropes weren’t all that bad, but the bees at the top were relentless. I filmed the whole hike and threw it on YouTube for anyone interested to see what the trail is like. Thanks in advanced for checking it! HIKING MOUNT STORM KING - Olympic National Park, Washington https://youtu.be/jnJQouHmEJk

Definitely one of the best local trails around. The most recent time I hiked this (9/30/19) was beautiful. The ropes at the top to get to the summit are hard but definitely worth the climb.

Loved every bit of this unplanned hike on 10/13. Decided to head up on our way back from the falls with not knowing what this trail was. We made great timing, the switchbacks kicked our butts and mentally quit a bunch before seeing one of the views through some trees. Made it to the End of Trail sign trust me DO NOT stop there! Many people turned around at that point and I'm glad we sucked it up and went through the ropes because that view was spectacular. Descending is always the hardest so we jogged back down only took 38 min.

Went on Sunday. Trail was in great shape, including the supposedly unmaintained rope section. A little crowded though; maybe 20-30 people on the mountain around midday.

My aerobic endurance is pretty poor, so I took many breaks to catch my breath. Got up to the top in 2 hours. The ropes were not bad at all, made the hike more fun actually. Go all the way to the top! The view is worth it. Coming back down took 1 hour. I started at 9:45am, only saw 2 couples on their way down and was alone at the top for a good hour and a half before people started showing up. The trail definitely got way busier as I was descending after 1pm.

Great hike to a great view.

ignore the sign. go to the top.