Mount Storm King

Mount Storm King is a 3.9 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Port Angeles, Washington that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October.

Distance: 3.9 miles Elevation Gain: 2,096 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Directions from Port Angeles: Drive 20 miles west on Highway 101 to the Storm King Information Center. Follow the nature trail southward along Barnes Creek, under the highway, to a fork. Follow the Storm King Trail left at this split.

27 minutes ago

Loved every bit of this unplanned hike on 10/13. Decided to head up on our way back from the falls with not knowing what this trail was. We made great timing, the switchbacks kicked our butts and mentally quit a bunch before seeing one of the views through some trees. Made it to the End of Trail sign trust me DO NOT stop there! Many people turned around at that point and I'm glad we sucked it up and went through the ropes because that view was spectacular. Descending is always the hardest so we jogged back down only took 38 min.

Went on Sunday. Trail was in great shape, including the supposedly unmaintained rope section. A little crowded though; maybe 20-30 people on the mountain around midday.

My aerobic endurance is pretty poor, so I took many breaks to catch my breath. Got up to the top in 2 hours. The ropes were not bad at all, made the hike more fun actually. Go all the way to the top! The view is worth it. Coming back down took 1 hour. I started at 9:45am, only saw 2 couples on their way down and was alone at the top for a good hour and a half before people started showing up. The trail definitely got way busier as I was descending after 1pm.

Great hike to a great view.

ignore the sign. go to the top.

Not a whole lot of people on the trail at 10 when I started but started picking up on the way down. Beautiful views from the top and the ropes aren't bad - definitely worth it.

The views are absolutely fantastic, especially after the rain when the clouds are moving through the mountains much like a steam going out of a water boiler, just on much larger scale. The last "unmaintained" part of the trail is difficult, you would have to hold on to the ropes to climb it, because the ground may be slippery, but the views of the lake from the top are incredible!

Lots of switchbacks love this hike, if your adventurous and in decent shape do the ropes to the top worth every bit of it!

Before visiting, Nope Ropes were snakes. Now, Nope Ropes also refer to these ropes. I reached the first section, felt wildly uncomfortable & turned around. I have never been less mad about not finishing a trail! The trail up to the ropes is very steep and coming down is a challenge with your footing. Beware of dive-bombing gray jays near the end of the maintained trail (I felt their wings in my hair). Views of Lake Crescent from the rocky outcroppings are still stunning!

Hell yessssssss

Don’t let the “unmaintained trail” sign stop you from proceeding further — the best view is after the ropes at the top :)

Breathtaking views. Steep ascent for 2.1 miles. Please wear a good hiking shoes or else it might slippery, telling from experience. If you have fear of heights, then this is a good hike to conquer them.

Great hike, steeper and more difficult than I thought but still doable. View is incredible!

This was an interesting hike with some sketchy areas near the top - the infamous rope sections. The grade was steadily steep the entire way but thankfully it’s a short hike. The rope sections were as scary as I had expected. As others have mentioned, the ropes are pretty secure but it’s just up to you to trust it entirely to lift yourself up. The first two rope sections were definitely the worst and I almost decided to turn around but powered through. The views were pretty cool but I’m not sure I would want to do this hike again. Having completed this hike definitely feels like an achievement though!

Ended up sleeping in and not hitting up this hike for Sunrise. Definitely a good workout and rope was helpful at the top. Would bring poles next time for the way down . Just watch out for some wasps at the top

Um wow. The heavy breathing is so worth it. Aggressive ascent for the most amazing views. Last quarter of a mile is assisted with ropes, otherwise it would be pretty dicey. Amazing amazing at the top

If you love hiking uphill then this hike is for you! Seriously - there isn’t a single point that is even remotely flat. Challenging in the best way possible. My boyfriend and I climbed this on 8/21 and unfortunately it was rainy/cloudy all day so no view, but one of my favorite photos from my entire trip was from this hike and the gloominess among the trees, so it was still definitely worth it for the scenery. If you’ve got a fear of heights you may not enjoy the tippy top beyond the ropes.