Learn more

Mount Storm King is a 5.3 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Port Angeles, Washington that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from April until October.

Length 5.3 mi Elevation gain 2,076 ft Route type Out & Back

Waypoints (3)
Facilities
Contact
Getting There

Switchbacks for the 3 miles up. Great leg burn. Once you reach the top, you can grab magnificent pictures of the views of the mountains and Lake Crescent. Keep going to the ropes (past maintained trail sign) and it becomes more technical. There is an optional side-trip to the popular Marymere Falls if you wish to extend your trip.

There is a ranger station at the trailhead.

Olympic National Park: Phone: (360) 565-3130 Olympic National Park Visitor Center 3002 Mount Angeles Road Port Angeles, WA 98362

Directions from Port Angeles: Drive 20 miles west on Highway 101 to the Storm King Information Center. Follow the nature trail southward along Barnes Creek, under the highway, to a fork. Follow the Storm King Trail left at this split.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (1160)
Photos (818)
Recordings (762)
Completed (2163)
Cydnee Armstrong
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarTue Jul 14 2020
Hiking

Mount Storm King is a must if you like a little adrenaline & challenge. It’s a steady incline the whole time. Hiking boots definitely recommended as it will help a lot when going up and down the ropes. When you get to the top it could be a bit sketchy in general because there are drop offs on both sides of you. Especially if you are afraid of heights, but nothing to keep you from going :) Walk carefully, crouching down helps for balance at the top. The views are amazing and so worth it! You will most likely have to wait for people to come up and/or down the ropes so be prepared for that unless you go early. The ropes made this hike an even better experience. Enjoy!

Kelsey Gallagher
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon Jul 13 2020
HikingRockyScramble

Bring gloves for the rope section. Wear REAL hiking boots with a good grip.

View Kelsey's Recording
Justin Luthey
Hiking

Recommend going down the rope backwards (facing up the mountain). Better because of the physics and because you can’t see your possible impending doom as well.

Michael Rollins
Hiking

Fantastic trail with a breathtaking view at the top. Lots of switchbacks and the ropes make it a fun challenge if you're up for it. The website makes an estimate that this is a 2.5 hour hike and that was not the case for us. We were party of 2 hikers in our 30s with plenty of trail experience and we made lots of stops due to the steepness going up. Also, there was a bottleneck point where people were going up and down the ropes so we waited for a while there too. It took us about 2.5-3 hours to get to the top and about 45 minutes down. Loved every moment of it and would absolutely come back!

Kay-dub Myers Brewer
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Jul 12 2020

I have been looking forward to this hike for a while. My aunt and I had planned on doing doing this hike yesterday but due to the weather we decided to do this hike this morning. We arrived at the trail head at 6:20am and to only one other car in the parkinglot. It was still a little overcast as the two of us made our way up the trail. It is straight up with many switch backs through the forest. At about mile 2 we made it to the ridge walk and the clouds started to part ways giving us views of Lake Crescentn. The ropes made for a fun way up the last part of the hike. By the time we made it up and over the last set of boulders our hearts jumped with the amazing views over Lake Cresent and the straights. We were all alone at the tops we had plenty of time to enjoy the views for a while. There is not much room at the top. On the way down we past about 30 hikers making their way up. I would advise good hiking shoes with good traction. We slid and lost our footing a couple times on the way down. I would highly recommend this hike. By the time we made it back down to the car there parking lot was packed. It shares a parking lot with a few other shorter popular trails. Get there early.

Kristy Foley
Hiking

We did this hike on 7/05. We loved this hike. The reviews are accurate, it’s a steady uphill climb! Worth the effort with the amazing views at the top. The ropes aren’t as scary as they sound, but definitely come in handy. We’ve added to our top favorites list!! Enjoy!

Galvin Aguon
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSun Jul 12 2020
Hiking

Trails were pretty well maintained. There’s a decent incline getting to the top. When you are close to the top be very cautious when walking the trail as there are steep drop offs. At the latter part of the trail it will require you to grab onto a series of ropes to ascend up the trail. For those who are afraid of heights or narrow trails the latter part of the trail could lead to some anxiety. The Mount Storm King lookout is beautiful! It is absolutely worth the view of the water. There’s a nice size rock that is perfect for a photo of you and the beautiful views! Cheers! Enjoy!

Krissy F.
Hiking

Such a good view at the top! It was steep and scary at the top. Tread carefully but I would recommend for those who are able

Justin Luter
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Jul 11 2020
HikingBugsScramble

Hardcore, both in fun AND difficulty. My wife and I stumbled upon this trail while visiting Marymere falls and decided to give it a try. The trail is steep and doesn’t get any less steep. Most times when we took a short rest, a few mosquitos were quick to try and make a snack of us. We pushed on till we got to the ropes. This was definitely the steepest and most difficult part. I’d recommend hiking boots for sure, because the footing is pretty bad, hence the ropes to help pull yourself and keep yourself from falling a long way down if you lose your footing. Of course since we weren’t planning on doing this trail we had some nikes and it was pretty hairy a couple times, especially coming back down the ropes. Once you get past that part, its a bit of a scramble up the last jagged rock to the peak, which has INCREDIBLE views and is worth the elevation gain and ropes no doubt. I’d do it again for sure, but only with hiking boots. Took an hour and a half to get up, and an hour back down. Also more advice, the birds at the top get fed a lot, and will land on your hand and eat.

Rachel Schwartz
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFri Jul 10 2020
Hiking

Did this trail back in August. Loved the views along the way. Terrible clouds and fog once I got to the top sadly but still a good trail!

Emma Orness
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarThu Jul 09 2020
HikingRocky

LOVE this hike!! Even though it’s definitely a leg burner, the view is beyond worth it at the top! The ropes on the rocky upper part add a nice challenge, but if you have children or are scared of heights, this may not be your cup of tea :( If you are planning on sitting at the top for awhile bring a light sweatshirt considering the wind is pretty chilly. It is a heavily trafficked hike, so I suggest doing it during a weekday instead of weekend. If you’re going on this hike bring •lots of water •granola bars •sunglasses •camera :)

Mark A
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarTue Jul 07 2020
Hiking

Great ROI for a half day hike - forest and switchbacks most of the day, but stunning view at the top! Last bit is steep but there are ropes you can use that are helpful.

Swaraj P
Great!Scramble

This hike was an awesome workout. The elevation starts from the very beginning and you can feel your quads pumping. Right before the top, there is unmanaged trail, where you have to grab the ropes to make your way to the top. Pretty doable and interesting. We hiked there in the evening so we couldn't get the best view of the lake. I would hike in the morning to get the best view of this place.

Brandon Eastman
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Jul 05 2020
HikingBugsFee

consistent grain to the top with few flat spot brakes. Ropes at the end to help with the last push to the summit if needed.. No sweatshirt needed even on a cold day. Might be short but would not recommend for children due to incline.

View Brandon's Recording
Justyn Myers
HikingRocky

Challenging steep climb to the top but definitely doable and way worth it. Absolutely stunning. Whole trip took around 3 hours going at a good pace including half an hour at the top.

View Justyn's Recording
Crystal Hamann
Hiking

Great trail, heavily trafficked. Took us 3 hours to complete. It is steep all the way up! Tough leg workout. The view is totally worth it. Have to climb up ropes to get to the top. Ropes make the climb up easier. Enjoy!!!

Khrystyna Zavialova
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Jul 04 2020
HikingBugsOff trailRocky

Really great hike. I though it would be easier but I’m glad it’s rated as hard cause it is. Was surprised to see families with little kids, I could barely breath when was climbing. Over all awesome and weather was great too.

View Khrystyna's Recording
Seleniasinn User
Hiking

Hiked 7/3/2020 you will need to use ropes to get all the way to the top. The way up is like climbing stairs the entire time. Loved the challenge

Jeska Coplan
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSat Jul 04 2020
Hiking

This is in no way a beginners hike, if you have never hiked and your friends tell you to do this one, do not. At the top, which took 3 hours (mind you I’m out of shape) I met quite a few people who expressed they felt the reviews and description made it sound intermediate and do-able if you were in good shape. These folks and myself had a very hard climb and a few of them didn’t make it to the top, which you probably should be okay with if you are scared of heights or claustrophobic. The top is the most difficult, so just when you are feeling accomplished the mountain is about to kick your ass. There are about 6 ropes, everyone kept saying the first was the most difficult, I did not feel that to be true. About 3 of the 5-6 were very long and very very steep. The top of the mountain was a snug spot and we had to wait a bit for girls to complete their Instagram photo shoot. The way down the ropes was pretty scary as well, but the trail itself was much easier on the way down, but still very long when you are exhausted. This trail is beautifully managed and has many look out points with breath taking views. Totally worth it if you are a regular hiker, if not I would say make it a goal and do some less difficult hikes, then work your way up to this. If you get past the first 10 or so switchbacks and are having a hard time, it is not going to get easier at any point. All in all- hardest thing I’ve ever done in my life and I’m proud, but I would never do that again without experience. My friends however loved it and are planning on doing a similar hike again this weekend. Know your body and read the info such as gain and length. I found out just because it is a short trip doesn’t mean it will be easier!

Breanna Straus
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFri Jul 03 2020
HikingRockyScramble

EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW: 1) If you’re scared of heights, DO NOT GO. I cannot stress this enough. 2) Wear hiking boots if you wanna climb the ropes (highly recommended). 3) Turn LEFT at the last rope and climb the giant bolder that looks unclimbable. I went on this hike today, Thursday, 7/2, and started ascending around 10:30. The trail head shares a trail head with marymere falls. The first .5 miles is just walking through the woods on flat grounds. You take a left where it says mount storm king. Only saw a few people on our way up which was extremely peaceful, but there were many more people going up when we were coming down. The whole trail is just a massive incline with switchbacks at the beginning and the end. There’s a beautiful view you’ll see before the hardest part and people consider that the lookout to stop at if you don’t wanna do the ropes. When you get to the sign that says “end of maintained trail”, that’s where things get sketchy. If you’re afraid of heights, don’t go past this sign, stay at the first lookout and enjoy the views. There are cliffs on both sides of you while you’re climbing sketchy rocks. When you get to the ropes, they aren’t hard if you have hiking boots but my friend couldn’t do it and she was in nikes. There are about 6 ropes in total that you have to go up, but they’re actually really fun! When you finish the last rope, go LEFT. There’s a big bolder that looks very very very sketchy to climb and if you misstep you could easily fall to your death, and I’m not being dramatic. It’s quite terrifying. I’m not kidding when I say NOT to do this hike if you are even the slightest bit afraid of heights. But the view is 100% worth it. I loved this hike, I just wish I knew how sketchy the trail was when there were drop offs on each side and all around you. But feed the birds and ENJOY! I sure did!

Dafna Beverly
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarFri Jul 03 2020
Hiking

Hiked this today, and while cloudy still an amazing hike. However, the cork in the third rope up is shot and should be replaced.

Julia Griffin
Hiking

Awesome views at the end of the rope scramble, even if cloudy. You are above the clouds. Tough climb on the way up. Gloves help with the ropes

View Julia's Recording
Ben Tamblyn
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarThu Jul 02 2020
Hiking

Great trail and great workout. Take the time to climb the ropes at the end. The view from the top is worth the extra effort.