Mount Storm King

Mount Storm King is a 3.6 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Port Angeles, Washington that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October.

Directions from Port Angeles: Drive 20 miles west on Highway 101 to the Storm King Information Center. Follow the nature trail southward along Barnes Creek, under the highway, to a fork. Follow the Storm King Trail left at this split.

This hike is one way. UP!
We didn’t make it entirely to the top but we got to the ropes...
If you have a fear of heights it might not be for you...

God was this hard! Hiked it with my 20 year old son who said he’d love to do it as a race... Not me man! It felt good, at 50, to get to the top. Going up the ropes with my child was a nonstarter. We’re going to do it again and MAYBE I’ll try the ropes...I dunno. I say that now, from my office chair in Jersey.

took my cousin and daughter here a couple years back during a pretty nasty storm, excellent climb up, exhilarating summit!

Unreal. Easy access, fun hike. Feels like summer in mid January.

Awesome view. Definitely worth the steep climb and ropes to get to the top.

I’ve hiked this trail several times throughout the year. The trail is in good condition and easy to follow. There are a few inches of snow at the top but it’s still safe to scramble the shoulder for the view.

Avoid the upper goat path. I is thick enough to be a hazard but to thin to work with just under 1/4”. Fall protection gear is highly recommended. For above the continuation.

Hiked January 8, 2019

Loved this hike. It tested not only my physical strength but also mental strength. beautiful views and worth the rope climb to the top!

What a gorgeous hike. I hiked this on December 24th and you begin in a lush forest even during winter, there is a lot of green and a lot of huge trees. I didn’t encounter any snow but there was snow present on slopes further up past the trail. It definitely deserves the hard rating if hiked all the way to the top. If stopping at the first viewpoint it may be a moderate. There is a lot of elevation gain quick. The last part after the end of the maintained trail is a little sketchy, some ropes are there to help up but I wouldn’t place all your weight on them. The view from the top is definitely worth it.

Damn I loved this hike. One of my top 3 for 2018, along with Angel’s Landing in Zion and Old Rag in Shenandoah. If you feel confident in your balance and climbing skills, you need to go all the way to the top. If not, I wouldn’t risk it. Once you go past the end-of-maintained-trail sign, things get pretty hairy ... and fun. The ropes are fine for balance, but I wouldn’t trust them with full body weight. Another reviewer said one snapped. Take a pair of heavy gloves, even if it’s hot, for navigating the rocks at the top, and especially on the way down from the peak. I took a couple long breaks and several short ones on the way up. It’s a great workout. This is a bucket list hike for me.

Great hike! Conditions last week of December were good. A few muddy spots. A few down trees, but nothing serious. There was a little snow at the top, but none on the trail.

The climb starts off very steep. If you have a hard time at the start, expect the same difficulty for the duration of the climb. I would say the last .5 miles is a pretty narrow trail and probably isn’t the best for people with a fear of heights. It also gets a little steep, I would call it a scramble. There are fixed ropes in place but note these aren’t the best ropes. One broke on someone in front of me on the way down. Overall, I would say this a difficult hike. Proper gear, water, and snacks should be used.

Best day hike ever......but you must be in good shape....... for this butt kicker. I'm 64 years old.

We did this hike on Saturday, November 8th, and it was perfect! Trail conditions were great, there was no snow or ice, and the ropes at the top were all intact. The hike itself is steep, but not that long, so if you're in any kind of decent shape, you'll be fine, just take a few breaks along the way. Absolutely stunning views at the top!

Such a beautiful hike once you get to the top and completely rewarding. I would not recommend doing this hike alone. The start of the hike was a bit intimidating at first because it was pretty straight up hill, however it did level out a bit to a steady incline until you get to the rock climbing portion at the top. For my girlfriends and I it was a one time hike mostly because on the way down the rock the rope snapped, so defiantly approach the rope with come caution.

Beautiful November day for the hike. Well maintained trail and easy to follow signs and paths. A couple steep drop offs at the top but still manageable for peeps afraid of heights. Rope portion is not treacherous, just a little slippery if you have shoes with bad traction. View from the top is unbeatable. Definitely the most rewarding hike at Lake Crescent.

Cool experience but the last part up to the false summit is not for the faint of heart with the ropes. We did it first thing in the morning so luckily my wife’s slow descent didn’t really get in anyone’s way but I could totally see there being some bottlenecks during more peak times. Great views from the top but I do believe we passed a few people who we never saw at the top so the ropes might have scared them off.

A strenuous hike but the views of lake crescent from the top are worth it. Beware the snack stealing warblers.

Great climb! Loved the steep at the very top and views were amazing.

We started this hike after turning left onto the trail around 7:30am, it ended up being a perfect day with the sun out. the trail was easy to figure out, a good amount of switchbacks which leads to a rock scramble and i think 3 rope areas to climb up. I would not put your full weight on the rope, one of the ropes were pretty sketchy because it looked frayed and was tied to a very small bush. we ended up going to the "false summit" instead. This is the one where you can see over lake crescent and sit or stand on a rock ledge. The true summit was far too steep for us to handle as a normal day hike, it looked a bit more technical.
In all it took about 2.5 hours to summit and back to trail head. we ended up taking a detour to check out the falls which are like an additional .5 miles away after we hiked storm king.

Beautiful views! Absolutely worth every step. Would highly recommend =)

Still great conditions!

Fun climb. A good workout and not too long. I went earlier in the day and almost had the mountain to myself. So pieceful!

Good views, challenging, well worth it!

Hard hike but the view is definitely worth the climb! Be carful coming down the ropes, the sand can get a bit slippery.

Just went up today with three friends in the fog and wet weather. This hike is a real workout but so beautiful in the mist. Despite the rain it wasn't muddy or slippery except for a few spots near the top. We got to the ropes at the very top but chose not to go up the last bit because it looked pretty wet and slippery. If you don't like a very steep climb then you can do Merrymere Falls nearby instead.

one of the hardest hikes i’ve done but well worth the view. slow and steady and the ropes are much more difficult going down then up!

Kicked my ass but totally worth it for the amazing view. It’s steep switchbacks the entire way up, and then for the last leg you have to use ropes to get to the top, but absolutely worth it for the incredible view of Lake Crescent and a great option away from all of the crowds

This was the first hike while living on the peninsula, that challenged my body in every way. A friend and I, both moms, set out to conquer this hike, and overcome fears.
When we got to the sign that reads “end of maintained trail”., we decided to go on, and keep going.
I didn’t trust my shoes, so I took my shoes off and went barefooted.
There were about 6 rope sections, which I loved.
We went to the right instead of the left, after we finished with the ropes, and perched for a bit.
We had the entire place to ourselves.
We started the trail before the sun rose, which made that view special and spectacular.
I wasn’t sure if I was ready to rock climb to the 360 view, and neither was my friend, so we didn’t attempt out of safety concerns.
The descent was more fun than the ascent when it came to the ropes.
I just, slid down on my tush most of the way and kept tension on the ropes using my left hand.
Overall, this experience was the most challenging, but liberating I’ve ever felt, and that speaks volumes from a chick who charges big waves.

If you go, have fun!

The views are incredible, the hike is challenging, use good form and posture, and claim victory when you make it to either summit!

Awesome trail! A friend and I did this hike back in July. Pretty steep incline on the way up. Ropes can be a little intimidating, but they are doable. Gloves would have been helpful. It is well worth the effort when you get to the top and see the views of Lake Crescent!

This hike is mentally and physically challenging. Significant elevation gain in a "green tunnel."

The views of the Pacific and Vancouver Island are well worth the effort.

One significant downside for me is that the ropes used to get to the top are sketchily attached to some small plants. If the ropes would go, it is a long way down. Not for those scared of heights.