Mount Storm King

Mount Storm King is a 3.8 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Port Angeles, Washington that features a lake and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October.

2047 feet

Directions from Port Angeles: Drive 20 miles west on Highway 101 to the Storm King Information Center. Follow the nature trail southward along Barnes Creek, under the highway, to a fork. Follow the Storm King Trail left at this split.

Hiked this morning in an attempt to see the sunrise from the top. Unfortunately, everything was obscured by fog, which I knew would be a possibility. Pretty tough hike up (I'm in good shape, but not great hiking shape, if that helps), but I had a bunch of photog gear strapped to my back which didn't help. Frequent hikers traveling lightly should have no issue.

Not much snow to speak of, but I brought my spikes anyway and would advise everyone else to do the same as a point of caution as it's pretty steep and narrow in some spots. Due to the time of the year, you will not pass a lot of people on the way up if you choose an off-peak hour of the day to make your ascent.

Made this trek during the eclipse this year. Somewhat difficult with the elevation gain. The rope assist near the top was very helpful.

Started at 11:00AM and got the top at 1:00PM. Shedded a few layers on the way up and put them back on at the peak. A little cloudy but when the sun peaks through over Cresent Lake it was amazing. Definitely don't suggest continuing past the peak, we went farther and turned around after it got too dangerous to get to the top. The ropes we're fun and enjoyable part of the hike and I would highly recommend this hike for someone looking for a thrilling and awarding hike. Also you can stop by Marymere falls once you get back down or before you go up.

We started this hike this morning 10/15/2017 at 10:00AM and got to the top around 11:40ish. It is all switchbacks and lots of elevation gain so it definitely made me sweat! It was tiring but definitely worth it. Trail was maintained well and easy to follow. The climbing parts are fun but definitely be careful! Use the ropes to guide you but don't put all your weight on it. Honestly, you can go up without the ropes but it does help going down. Once you get to an intersection of seeing a path to your right and rocks to your left (after the rope parts)...go to the left and climb a bit more and you're there! we got lucky and we were the only ones up there so took lots of pictures and even cooked MRE at the top. amazing lunch spot and the weather was great...clear skies and perfect hiking weather. I love this hike because you first got through the green moss forest which can give you a taste of Hoh rainforest. I brought my poles but don't really need it except to go downhill (non-climbing parts) but honestly didn't really need it. No snow or anything either. It was in perfect condition!

Challenging but absolutely worth the spectacular view. Truly amazing. I am not an experienced hiker and was still able to make the climb with frequent rest stops/water breaks. There are 4 separate ropes to climb near the top where the terrain is the steepest. Some nice previous hikers left half dozen pairs of gloves to use on the ropes. This trail is not for children as there are drop offs throughout. Muscles were sore the next day but it felt incredible to reach the top and see beautiful Lake Crescent below. I agree with previous reviews, about the length/time. Don't be fooled by the length/ time. It took us about 4.5 hours to hike this including about 45 minutes just sitting at the top.

Definitely a difficult hike. Don't be fooled by the distance because it took us about 4 hours. The hike is steep switchbacks through a forest. It's not until you get toward the top that you actually have a view of the lake. When you get to the top, it gets very narrow and the trail is loose dirt/gravel. Think long and hard if you want to traverse the ropes to the very top as what goes up, must come down.

When we made it to the summit, we were so concerned with how we were going to get down, I felt like we couldn't really enjoy the view. We aren't scared of heights, but like previously stated it's the sheer cliffs and unsure footing on the loose gravel. Bonked on the way down. Bring lots of water!

Need good hiking boots for this steep trail. Harder than expected and slipped on loose rocks a few times. Poles recommend. Beautiful and challenging hike with great views at the top.

This trail is definitely for experienced hikers! It is uphill the entire time, with a lot of switchbacks. I was almost to the very top before fear set in. I am normally not scared of heights, but it was more of the rocks that scared me. I had hiking boots on, but it doesn't matter when there are rocks and pebbles below you, and one misstep you can fall. The ropes are very thin, but are sturdy. Going down the ropes was more challenging than going up.

Overall I give this hike a 4 because it did have great views of Lake Cresent, and it was a great hike. If fear would of not set it I would of loved it more!

We did this hike at the end of May 2017. If I hadn't been having upper respiratory issues, it probably wouldn't have been as bad for me. It's less than 4 miles round trip, but ohhh it felt so much longer than that! It really is straight up with switchbacks the entire way. I was making it fine up until the ropes portion that takes you to the peak.Truth be told, I can be a bit of a scaredy-cat, but when you're several thousand feet up, it's kind of warranted. The ropes were suuuper thin (this really should be corrected) and it's hard to keep your footing; it was for me at least in my hiking boots (I can't imagine how the kids in their Chuck Taylors were doing it). We finally made it through the second set of ropes, and the peak is just up a little ways, and then it's all right there - beautiful Lake Crescent and its surroundings. However, knowing I'd have to make the trek down, I didn't enjoy the top as much as I wanted to. Because going down the ropes was...challenging, to put it lightly. (To put it more dramatically, it was one of the scariest moments of my life and I was reaaaally wishing the Doctor would show up in his TARDIS to return me to safety). I opted to squat down and slide on my feet whilst holding the ropes; it worked but was still a bit jarring (especially to the knees) but I wanted to be as close to the ground as I could get, haha. After making it down the ropes, everything else was smooth sailing.
All that being said, this trail is not for the faint of heart. You could go up to where the ropes begin and stop if you wanted, but I don't know if that would totally be worth it. There are some great views on the way up, but none equal to the very top. If I had the chance to do it again, without respiratory issues, there's a 90% chance I would, IF the ropes were better. But at any rate, I can say I climbed Mount Storm King!

Absolutely amazing hike with stunning views at the top, but you will need to use the ropes to get to the top. 100% worth it though.