Mount Storm King is a 3.6 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Port Angeles, Washington that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October.

Directions from Port Angeles: Drive 20 miles west on Highway 101 to the Storm King Information Center. Follow the nature trail southward along Barnes Creek, under the highway, to a fork. Follow the Storm King Trail left at this split.

Beautiful November day for the hike. Well maintained trail and easy to follow signs and paths. A couple steep drop offs at the top but still manageable for peeps afraid of heights. Rope portion is not treacherous, just a little slippery if you have shoes with bad traction. View from the top is unbeatable. Definitely the most rewarding hike at Lake Crescent.

Cool experience but the last part up to the false summit is not for the faint of heart with the ropes. We did it first thing in the morning so luckily my wife’s slow descent didn’t really get in anyone’s way but I could totally see there being some bottlenecks during more peak times. Great views from the top but I do believe we passed a few people who we never saw at the top so the ropes might have scared them off.

A strenuous hike but the views of lake crescent from the top are worth it. Beware the snack stealing warblers.

Great climb! Loved the steep at the very top and views were amazing.

We started this hike after turning left onto the trail around 7:30am, it ended up being a perfect day with the sun out. the trail was easy to figure out, a good amount of switchbacks which leads to a rock scramble and i think 3 rope areas to climb up. I would not put your full weight on the rope, one of the ropes were pretty sketchy because it looked frayed and was tied to a very small bush. we ended up going to the "false summit" instead. This is the one where you can see over lake crescent and sit or stand on a rock ledge. The true summit was far too steep for us to handle as a normal day hike, it looked a bit more technical.
In all it took about 2.5 hours to summit and back to trail head. we ended up taking a detour to check out the falls which are like an additional .5 miles away after we hiked storm king.

Beautiful views! Absolutely worth every step. Would highly recommend =)

Still great conditions!

Fun climb. A good workout and not too long. I went earlier in the day and almost had the mountain to myself. So pieceful!

Good views, challenging, well worth it!

Hard hike but the view is definitely worth the climb! Be carful coming down the ropes, the sand can get a bit slippery.

Just went up today with three friends in the fog and wet weather. This hike is a real workout but so beautiful in the mist. Despite the rain it wasn't muddy or slippery except for a few spots near the top. We got to the ropes at the very top but chose not to go up the last bit because it looked pretty wet and slippery. If you don't like a very steep climb then you can do Merrymere Falls nearby instead.

one of the hardest hikes i’ve done but well worth the view. slow and steady and the ropes are much more difficult going down then up!

Kicked my ass but totally worth it for the amazing view. It’s steep switchbacks the entire way up, and then for the last leg you have to use ropes to get to the top, but absolutely worth it for the incredible view of Lake Crescent and a great option away from all of the crowds

This was the first hike while living on the peninsula, that challenged my body in every way. A friend and I, both moms, set out to conquer this hike, and overcome fears.
When we got to the sign that reads “end of maintained trail”., we decided to go on, and keep going.
I didn’t trust my shoes, so I took my shoes off and went barefooted.
There were about 6 rope sections, which I loved.
We went to the right instead of the left, after we finished with the ropes, and perched for a bit.
We had the entire place to ourselves.
We started the trail before the sun rose, which made that view special and spectacular.
I wasn’t sure if I was ready to rock climb to the 360 view, and neither was my friend, so we didn’t attempt out of safety concerns.
The descent was more fun than the ascent when it came to the ropes.
I just, slid down on my tush most of the way and kept tension on the ropes using my left hand.
Overall, this experience was the most challenging, but liberating I’ve ever felt, and that speaks volumes from a chick who charges big waves.

If you go, have fun!

The views are incredible, the hike is challenging, use good form and posture, and claim victory when you make it to either summit!

Awesome trail! A friend and I did this hike back in July. Pretty steep incline on the way up. Ropes can be a little intimidating, but they are doable. Gloves would have been helpful. It is well worth the effort when you get to the top and see the views of Lake Crescent!

This hike is mentally and physically challenging. Significant elevation gain in a "green tunnel."

The views of the Pacific and Vancouver Island are well worth the effort.

One significant downside for me is that the ropes used to get to the top are sketchily attached to some small plants. If the ropes would go, it is a long way down. Not for those scared of heights.

This was one of our favorite hikes in Olympic. The trail starts in a rainforest type feel and you start to gain elevation quickly at the first couple of switchbacks. As you get higher (about 1.5 miles in) the foliage changes and you can begin to catch some views of Lake Crescent below. I was a little hesitant about the rope climbing porting as I have not done them before and am an experienced hiker. The rope portion really was not bad and give you extra support to climb up. My husband is afraid of heights so I would recommend not looking out at the lake or around as you are going up the ropes. We went to the what some say is the false summit and the view was incredible. It is a little scary/sketchy at this point as it is all rocks and the trail is very narrow. There were a ton of bees up at this point too so we did not stay up there as long as we have liked. We did not continue on to the actual summit as we are not experience rock climbers. I found the ropes to be more helpful coming back down the top. Grab a pair of gloves (there was a pile at the beginning of the ropes portions going up) to help save your hands using the ropes on the way down. Would recommend and do it again!

rock climbing

First hike in the peninsula. The cascades were smoked out so we drove to mt ellinor. ellinor was smoky so we drove to storm king. Storm king was smoky but we hiked anyways.

Amazing hike. First portion is flat, wooded area that feels rainforesty, then a steep portion through beautiful forests until you start reaching rock outcroppings (and I assume without smoke, a view too). Once you reach the rock out-croppings it’s not much further until you come to the roped portions of the trail. You probably don’t really need the ropes but it makes the hike a lot more comfortable to use them. If you have a fear of heights you may get a little flustered. After the first sections of ropes there’s a little flat area with a rock outcropping that is apparently the false summit. Then you have to follow a trail through the woods to another section of ropes. Again they are not needed if you’re physically/outdoors inclined but are helpful. Eventually you will come to a chain to help you through some class 4 or 5 climbing. After you summit the chain, there’s a little notch to rest in. Looking at the trail below you, you must go right from here to reach the true summit. This is another class 4 ish climb with sketchy, chossy rock to grab onto. I only recommend this part for those who know what they’re doing or are confidently in their physical and mental demeanor. After this climb this you must hike a further and do more small climbs to reach the summit.

All-in-all, reaching what I think was the true summit I logged 8 miles.

Beautiful hike whether you stop at the first set, second sets of ropes, the chain notch, or the true summit. Only go as far as you feel comfortable... I am a rock climbing instructor & there were certainly parts where I had to take deep breaths to keep my mind together. I could see a less experienced adventurer getting stuck near the summit

Love the elevation gain and ascent through the different layers of forest, but the climb at the end was too unsafe to feel comfortable doing as moderately experienced hikers. Sheer drops on either side with loose dirt and thin rope tied to downed trees made it a no go for my partner and I. Bit disappointed in the views as we didn’t make it to the summit, but you still get some decent shots of crescent lake.

As a note, the entire hike we were accompanied by quite a few bees and according to other hikers, they were swarming at the summit which forced them to leave quickly.

Not easy but the view was more than worth it!

One of the best hikes I’ve been on. The view at the very top was definitely worth the climb and for that insta pic. The hike was mostly uphill the whole way with ropes to help you climb the steep edges of the mountain near the top. Coming down from the hike was tough in running shoes due to the steepness and loose ground. We were the only group at the top so got to enjoy the scenic view to ourselves. Would definitely recommend!

Wow! That was up there with one of the scariest things I have ever done, this hike is not for the faint hearted but the views were spectacular! I only gave it four stars purely because of how scary some of the rope climbs were.

This is a fun hike and if you want a nice view of Lake Crescent and, further in the distance, Canada then definitely do it. I hiked it in a group of 7 people with a few that don’t hike too often and we stayed together just fine. Trail is extremely well maintained but is easy to get to so be prepared to be sharing your spot at the top with a couple other people (not a lot, but probably atleast 2 or 3). Took us about 1.5 hours to get up, stopped for half and hour at the top for lunch and to take in the view, and got down in a little over 45 minutes. Again, the trail is really well maintained so if you like going down hill jogging/running this is a good trail for it as visibility is completely clear and there was nothing blocking the trail at any point.
As many others suggested here, if you want a nice cool down after getting to the bottom, if you turn left instead of right to head back towards the lake you can meander over to the waterfall which is a completely flat “trail” with a couple nice bridges.
Overall would recommend. Not an astounding view but it was beautiful and made for a good morning. Kids could probably do it if they are used to hiking but it is a lot of switchbacks so they might tire out easy, especially in the heat.

This is awesome trail with excellent view. I agree with all the post that last portion with rope helps on step slippery slop but it's not that difficult. while coming down it was easier i position as if I am going up it helped.
View of lake and mountains was gorgeous, I did first thing in the morning as sun was coming up it lighten up the view.
I would definitely recommend this trail and would do it aging.

We hiked Mount Storm King while on vacation in Washington last week. We are new to hiking but are in good shape and we made it to the top. While extremely challenging physically we did not find it technically hard. It was an awesome trail and we would do it all over again for the AMAZING views!

This was an amazing trail...but the end was a bit scary! Thank goodness we ran into Mira and Ben at the top, since they talked us through the ropes on the way down. We couldn’t have done it without these amazing hikers. If you are adventurous, and experienced, this hike is for you. If not, proceed with caution, It’s a tough one!

Awesome hike with a great view. To get to the viewpoint that everyone takes pictures its not bad at all - the ropes helped in a lot of the slippery/steep places.

The trail to the true summit however should be approached with a lot of caution (after the rope area if you go right instead of left to the viewpoint). There is a small amount of rope assisting the climb and a chain at the very top that helps you get up. However a large portion of the rope (which was really like thick para cord) near the top of the summit has snapped off, leaving a lot of the most sketchy part exposed. I would say that its class 3 - 4 climbing at the very top so do not attempt it unless you feel very comfortable climbing up/down that. I uploaded a photo of the last part of the trail up to the summit;

I agree to some that it's not all that bad, we only took a couple breaks and were in decent shape. Took us an 1.5 hours to get up and 1 hour to get down. Very well maintained trial except when you pass the sign when it stops. The ropes were pretty scary, just cause one slip you can go over the edge and the ropes are skinny. Some people said bring gloves which we didnt..but BRING GLOVES.
Great views but would I do it again? Probably not, there's other great hikes with great views without climbing ropes by the edge and possibly dying.

Although the alltrails says this hike is hard, it really isn't that bad. There is a well maintained trail most of the way up. the last leg of the trail to the peak lookout is a sections of loose dirt/rock with ropes you have to partially pull yourself up with. The view at the top is beautiful. You get a full view of lake Cresent in front and behind is you is the mountains.

steady climb up, great work out for your quads! Go on a clear day and you will see Vancouver Island, the Strait of Juan De Fuca and of course all of Lake Crescent. If you want to get all the way to top safely wear shoes with very good traction. The 5 rope assists on the last few hundred feet of trail were also huge help on a very slippery and steep terrain.