Learn more

Mount Spokane Summit - Saddle Junction Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(34)
Mount Spokane State Park

Mount Spokane Summit - Saddle Junction Trail is a 4.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Mead, Washington that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.5 miles Elevation Gain: 951 feet Route Type: Loop

Please note that closures have been reported for this trail.

fee

((About 10 miles round trip to the top and back!!!!)) Okay I will tell you exactly how to get to where the trail starts since some folks get confused and discouraged by online info about this hike. When you pass the first ranger station and first parking lot of Mt. Spokane state park, continue to drive. As you drive, you will happen upon a public restroom and second parking area, keep going. When you arrive at the third parking area you see, PARK! When you walk across the street you will see a sign for the Mt. Kit Carson trail. Walk down this trail until you get to trail 110. Take this trail. Continue to follow the markers for 110, it is all uphill and zigzagging up, pack light for a leisurely hike. You will hike for about 3 miles and then reach a service road and more trail markers. Take trail 140. This takes you straight up to the top of Mt. Spokane. When my husband and I went, the flies were REALLY BAD, so i would recommend spraying yourself with bug spray because these flies are the size of bumble bees and they are very aggressive. I have asthma and I found a bit of difficulty throughout the hike with what felt like the constant uphill climb. Wildlife was abundant in June. We saw 2 does and 1 buck. Plenty of chipmunks. A large marmot ran down the trail and actually bumped into my leg and scurried over my foot which made me SCREAM because my amygdala did not hesitate to fire. Beware of skunks! We did smell skunk spray while hiking, but never saw one. Have fun!!

closed
icy

Well our 4.5 planned trip turned into 9.5 but it was beautiful! lots of mountain bikers and berry pickers. bathrooms are pretty frequent too at the different trail heads

Amazing hike! Definitely bring some water and be prepared for trecking uphill on the loop back around. Quite a bit of bees, as well.

It was a beautiful trail. It was warm as it opened up near the top. Bring some good water!

Fun trail for the kids - they enjoyed the fact that they were climbing a mountain. When we did this a few days ago, we had to park on N Summit Road about a hundred yards from the trail head... there were no parking signs right at the trail head. Trail was a mixture of timber and exposed hill sides - you're in the ski area, so the exposed areas I gather are mostly the ski runs. Bring water as there are no good water sources, but there is a bathroom at the bottom and at the top, so you don't need your poop kit :) Was an easy trail, but was a nice challenge for our 6- and 8-year old boys. Beautiful views at the top. Definitely check out the warming hut at the bottom of the trail, and the structures at the top. There were a lot of people picking huckleberries when we went. It's definitely not a remote mountain top - you can drive right to the summit, so don't expect a "back country" experience - we went on a Saturday with very nice weather, so there were quite a few people at the top, but still a fun trail for the family.

Wed Jun 26 2019

Great hike! The bear grass was in full bloom!

Wed Jun 19 2019

I have done this hike many times. I can honestly say I never get sick of seeing those views at the top.

Thu Jun 13 2019

Different trailheads and forest/mountain walks half an hour drive from Spokane Downtown. Great way to explore the area and an easy gateway into nature for all ages.

Sat Feb 16 2019

great hike on a sunny day....up up and up.....then gorgeous views coming down. going again this Saturday

Tue Jun 20 2017

Beautiful trail with a little bit of snow at the top. Few down trees to cross over and a few spots on the trail that still has snow on it. The hardest part is going back up especially for me since I had extra weight with my son in his backpack carrier.