Mount Si Trail

HARD 1,304 reviews

Mount Si Trail is a 7.1 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near North Bend, Washington that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

The hike starts at the parking lot and the trail head is clearly marked, in a couple hundred yards you will begin your ascent to the top of Mount Si. The trail is well-maintained and dog-friendly, but be aware that there have been reports of bear spottings on the trail (although not very often). Most of the hike is under the shade of the trees which makes it a good hike even in the heat of summer. The trail ends on a rocky surface known as the Haystack, which can be very slippery when wet. You'll need some climbing experience if you plan to get to the top of the haystack.

Hard, steep but the view is worth it. The incline is almost throughout the whole trail. There are benches to sit at 2-3 places along the trail.

Solid- gorgeous forest hike. 3300 feet of gain is no joke, so plan accordingly. Bring Lots of water/food. Route finding in the rocky section is patchy, stick to the trails on the edges of the rocks. Haystack access trail is a bit hard to find, but just head to the right from the face and you’ll find it. Haystack scramble is a solid class 3, with patches of class 4 depending on your route. On busy days (Saturday’s) a helmet might be a good idea to mitigate possible rocks from above. Gorgeous views from the top. Downhill is a bit rough on the legs, but not too bad. Good stuff!

Hiked Mount Si for the first time today. Great hike!! I got to the rock pile in 2 hours and chose not to climb the haystack. The views were beautiful and there weren’t many people on the trail today. Downhill was definitely the harder (more painful) part for me. Took me almost the same amount of time to return because I had to stop to rest my knees.

Awesome trail with shades throughout!!!

It was a good experience to hike on this trail. It wad definitely hard for me as beginner. It took me 3 hrs up and 2 hrs down.

No snow, which was great - at least to the first rocky summit! Took the bus from downtown Seattle and arrived at 1:30PM but there was still lots of room in the parking lot, so bus is probably not necessary. Hiked about 2.5 hours up and 2.5 hours down at a pretty slow pace. Did not make it to the very top, only the first rocky summit. Last bus leaves at 6:30pm.

Headed up on a cloudy day and near the top we were in the clouds. Was a mystical feeling but awesome! We had a guy who had never hiked before with a goal of getting to the top in 2 hours. He made it to the top with about 2 sec to spare. He also brought along 50lbs of camera equipment which the rest of the team ended up helping with haha. Even with the clouds at the top it cleared a bit with some of the near by peaks protruding through the clouds. It was a beautiful view even though it was cloudy. Over all worth every minute!

nice experience two and a half hours of top and two hours to go down wuao I loved me I loved

Definitely not for sissies or if you out of shape like me. My 19 year old Army son didn’t break a sweat. Totally worth it. Too bad it was smoky to see all the beauty!

I found this trail BRUTAL. Make sure you have a huge breakfast and bring at least 2+ litres of water and plenty of food and snacks. Only exposure to sun is right at the top so don't worry about SPF or anything like that unless you plan on staying up there a while.

It was gorgeous and breathtaking but I can't comment on whether the physically demanding hike is worth it. That's up to you to decide.

I used the trailhead direct bus from seattle, only $2.75 and drops you off right at the bottom of the trail. These run at the weekends in summer only I believe.

Trail wasn't too crowded for a Saturday and everyone was really friendly and encouraging. Some athletes ran up and down it then back up again in the time it took us to climb up!

Nice trail. A lot of the hike is spent in the woods on switchbacks but the top has some excellent views. Get ready to sweat.

The trail was pretty good. The weather was cloudy so very soothing to sit at the top. Only drawback was mount Ranier was not visible.
First break spot is at 1.25. Miles.
2hours to go up and 1 hour to go down for us...

Climbed Mt. Si for first time today while taking a back to school shopping break. The parking lot was not crowded. The trail was in great condition and easy to follow. It was quite the climb the entire way. It took me about an hour and 20 minutes. I thought this was great, until someone ran passed me almost at the top. It did take some others I met almost 3 hours to get to the top. I enjoyed being in the trees for most of the time until the top. I followed some others to the top of the haystack. It was quite the view, too bad it was smoky. I would recommend this hike just bring water and be prepared for a ‘great ‘ leg/butt workout.

Great for training but, not really much else.

The tree cover is lovely, the views are breathtaking (if you don’t get caught in cloud cover) and the hike is a steady incline, with some harder switchbacks near the top. Only negative: it gets really packed with people.

I love this hiking.

Been there on Sunday 08/11/2018. Enjoyed the hike but did not like the fact that there are no view points (no creeks, no waterfalls or no high views), it was all dry. The tail path is wide and good. I guess this trail is rated Hard because of the elevation and the distance. Took 4 hours to the top and 2.5 hours to come back. Less crowd. Not much sun light. It was all rocks at the top. The view from the top is good. Near to North Bend Downtown and easily accessible, decent parking lot. Restrooms are horrible.

Always a good strenuous hike/run. Today did two loops to the summit. Lots of friendly people out there today, appreciate everyone moving off to the side for this old guy running.

Great workout. Not much for views until you get to top. Scramble the haystack for a fantastic valley and Mountain View.

Let’s just say that sweating for hours is not worth the view. The only view you’ll see at the summit is some rocks and some “farmland”. Don’t waste your time and go check out other beautiful hikes we have in pnw.

Yuk. Smelled like urine and dog poop. Ugly hike. There are so many beautiful hikes in the PNW. Don't waste your time on it, especially if you're here visiting from out of the area.

Overall a good hike. Most of the trail is in the woods but the views at the top are great. The climb at the top was also a lot of fun and I would highly recommend it. Looking down from the top we saw a cougar and a black bear which was very cool!

Great trail with a great view. The incline definitely start to hit you a mile into the hike. There’s a nice little even grounded area at about 1.6 miles in which is nice for the legs just before your steady uphill walk up the rest of the way. Round trip total is about 7.5 miles. Bring snacks and water for sure! My dog did the trail with me, and she did a great job! Pulled me most of the way up, which was a win for me. Not a single cloud in the sky when we reached the summit, which made the trail well worth it! Definitely recommend.

My wife and I were in Snoqualmie and the North Bend area for part of our honeymoon. We really did no research about the area and just happened upon Mt. Si while having a meal at Tweed's. Thought it looked fun so we decided to go to the top. We loved it. We started out pretty early so there weren't as many people going up. The views above the trees were great. Way off in the distance you can make out Seattle from (near) the top. We decided to go up the haystack too, but it seems like most people stop before then. I wouldn't recommend doing the haystack unless you're comfortable doing some bouldering. It stops being a hike and becomes a climb. I don't remember how long it took us as it was a few years ago now. I do remember the facilities at the trailhead were some of the worst smelling I've been in, but maybe we caught it at a bad time. I'd definitely recommend it to anyone in the area with the time and energy to do it.

Long hike through tree covered areas all the way until you get to the top of the mountain. Steep, rocky terrain most of the way. I would recommend good hiking boots, lots of water and snacks. The switchbacks keep on going so take your time, save some energy on the way up so you can enjoy exploring the rocks and views on the very top.

Great trail. I didn’t find it too difficult. Lots of switchbacks and steep but it’s listed a hard hike so to be expected. What I love about this hike is the exploring you do after you get to the top. You can climb and see lots more with great views. I would say, if you want to fully enjoy the climbing and adventuring at the end, leave the dog at home. I find it harder to get my dog unpaved boulders especially coming down. However, the hike itself was good for dogs and lots of shade from trees.

Steep incline all the way up- great view only thing killing it is seeing the remnants of society - really good I imagine for training season

Not much variety in the trail in terms of vegetation and an unrelenting steady climb up. No views until you hit the top ... but the view of the nearby mountains is spectacular.

did this for my first hike, no experience or training. found it challenging but is definitely doable. take breaks and stay hydrated. Took me 3hr17 min to summit and 2hr37min to come down

Hardest hike I’ve ever done but, we took the old trail which is very steep. The view was definitely worth it, and we even saw a bear on the way down.