Mount Si Trail

HARD 1,164 reviews

Mount Si Trail is a 7.1 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near North Bend, Washington that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

The hike starts at the parking lot and the trail head is clearly marked, in a couple hundred yards you will begin your ascent to the top of Mount Si. The trail is well-maintained and dog-friendly, but be aware that there have been reports of bear spottings on the trail (although not very often). Most of the hike is under the shade of the trees which makes it a good hike even in the heat of summer. The trail ends on a rocky surface known as the Haystack, which can be very slippery when wet. You'll need some climbing experience if you plan to get to the top of the haystack.

Steady incline with a couple flat areas for breaks. Rewarded with a Great view of Rainier at the top.

just finished this hike with my husband and cousin. I'd have to say it was one of the most boring hikes I've done. No views at all throughout the trail until you get to the top. You're basically walking through trees. The incline was a gnarly climb and leg workout, that's all we had to motivate us to keep going. It was also cloudy and the fog was too thick to see anything at the top. We couldn't wait to get back to the car. Overall it was an ok hike for a morning workout but I wouldn't do this one again.

Went with a friend, it was his second hike, I've done a few dozen hike now. We got to the top in just over an hour and a half, trail was nice and gradual.

Wow, We made it in 2 1/2 hours up at a steady pace. 2 hours down taking our time to see what we missed while we were huffing and puffing going up. Not a lot of scenery vistas until you reach the top but it is beautiful once you are there. Mount Rainier was glorious in the background. Once you are at the top it is rocky so finding a comfortable spot to picnic was a challenge- but we didn’t care.

The trail is in excellent condition. We traveled 8:30 Tuesday am. No crowds and easy parking.

To best enjoy this hike, go on a weekday. A great climb that offers a well kept path. Going on a weekday you will avoid the crowd!

Great hike big parking lot but, fills up fast get a discovery pass before you go. Did not see a place to buy one there. Should be able to buy one in North Bend. well worth the trip to the top. We had our Labrador with us which was great until you get to the top. You need to keep them on a strong leash due to the ledges.

Trail is in great shape. Incline is very doable. The view from the haystack is a must-see. It gets extremely crowded, however, so I recommend mid-week, early mornings. Up and down in three to four hours, depending on how long you spend at the top. Have fun!

This is one of the busiest trails in the Northwest. If you’re going on a weekend, I would avoid and pick a lesser traveled trail.

Amazing hike to test out new overnight packs. well maintained trail and wide enough in most spots for traffic in both directions.

Awesome hike. Entered in through Teneriffe Trailhead, debating on using Teneriffe Trail up, and then used Talos loop to get to the usual Mt. Si trail. Clocked in two hours up total and one hour down. It's something worth going back to :)

Never thought I'd make it to the top...but once I did it was beautiful! Not crowded at all on a Monday. Not bad for a Floridian to do this in less than 4 hrs! The trail is in great shape!

Beautiful trail with great views of Mount Rainier on a sunny day.

Trail was in great shape. Ya got an international trek planned or Baker or Rainier . . ??Always a great tester . . 25 pound pack in under 2 hours you got this!! Classic Pacific Nortnwest Day Hike. Be a local . . no music unless ya got head phones. Be a local . . pick up one piece of garbage that is not yours.

Great workout and amazing view at the top. Last remnants of snow in early May.

Took about 6 hrs for the hike (up and down). Good workout and great views at the top.

Great hike today, as usual. Trail is ready for summer. 1:23 up....can always count on Mt. Si for a great workout

It was Amazing at the top!! Good hike with my Son. An adventure to remember for sure. Would do again;)

Did this trail midweek (on a Wednesday) and it was empty, which was really nice. It’s a tough hike, pretty much uphill the whole time. I’d say 4 miles up and 4 miles down. Absolutely worth the climb, sweeping 360 degree views. Arrived at the summit and it was covered by fog, but we hung back and had lunch, the clouds opened up and it was fabulous. Can’t wait to do it again.

Pretty steep and areas of rocks and roots for a trail run, but a great morning with some beautiful views.

My spouse and i hiked on memorial day. The trail is well kept but it felt like forever before reaching the top. Took us 2-3hrs going up and around 1.5hrs on our way down, so 4-5hrs total. It was butt kicking climb but the view was so worth it.

Great hike, especially early morning before the crowds.

There was only a short part that the trail was kinda flat. The rest is upward. But it was great fun at the top. It could be exhausting esp. the last mile but many people in many shapes could go up to the flat rock looking over Mailbox peak. Beautiful view! The last part was difficult with steep big rocks and it was raining so I didn’t finish. I hardly do this long hike so my calves were a bit stiff for several days. Hiking stick may help. Shaded trail. Bring layers as it could be chilly at the top and sweaty while hiking up.

Finished hike at 7:30pm tonight. Took 4 hours round trip. Agree with other reviewers this hike is 4 miles up and 4 miles down. At the top are rocks to climb and mosquitoes and biting flies. Feet and quads get punished going down. Poles really help on the hike.

This is definitely a hard hike. My Garmin GPS tracked this hike at 8.5 miles roundtrip from the trailhead to the top with about 3250 feet of climb. (My thighs were burning at the end.) The trail itself is in good shape overall and is pretty wide by most WA hiking trails standards. There isn't much signage aside from the trailhead, but there are enough people going up and down that you just need to follow the crowds.

The parking lot of good sized but I'd recommend arriving early to ensure getting a parking spot. You will need a WA Discovery Pass and there are no day passes available at the trailhead (or in the parking lot).

It was overcast and drizzly the day we did this hike but it made for a comfortable hike up (ie, not too warm).

Z

About died! Hahaha amazing hike hard switch back but didn’t prepare! Be prepared!! -great finishing view

I’ve done this trail twice now, once while I was in really good shape because of soccer and just yesterday (2 1/2 years later). This hike can be quite exhausting if you haven’t been regularly physically active. However, it will make for a great hike to kick you back into shape! The trail can seem never ending because there isn’t a scenery change until you have reached the top. The view is absolutely gorgeous and 100% worth your time and energy. There is also a “mini mountain” you can climb that you’ll see in the distance once you’ve reached the “top” of the Mount Si trail; it does involve rock climbing skills, so I would not recommend it to everyone, but it offers an amazing 360 degree view from the peak. Cheers!

Great Hike! No snow. Will kick your butt if inexperienced, but can still be done in about 4 hours with breaks. Awesome views tho, on a clear day.

Hiked it early May. Just traces of snow on top, none on the trail. Were able to climb to the very top of the rock for a 360 view but I’m not sure I’d recommend it to all - the way down was a bit challenging. You don’t have to do it though. Otherwise a very nice moderate to hard intensity trail. Would do it again.

Fantastic view on top. Except the last mile, the rest is moderate.