Mount Si Trail

HARD 1,254 reviews

Mount Si Trail is a 7.1 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near North Bend, Washington that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

The hike starts at the parking lot and the trail head is clearly marked, in a couple hundred yards you will begin your ascent to the top of Mount Si. The trail is well-maintained and dog-friendly, but be aware that there have been reports of bear spottings on the trail (although not very often). Most of the hike is under the shade of the trees which makes it a good hike even in the heat of summer. The trail ends on a rocky surface known as the Haystack, which can be very slippery when wet. You'll need some climbing experience if you plan to get to the top of the haystack.

Great for training but, not really much else.

The tree cover is lovely, the views are breathtaking (if you don’t get caught in cloud cover) and the hike is a steady incline, with some harder switchbacks near the top. Only negative: it gets really packed with people.

I love this hiking.

Been there on Sunday 08/11/2018. Enjoyed the hike but did not like the fact that there are no view points (no creeks, no waterfalls or no high views), it was all dry. The tail path is wide and good. I guess this trail is rated Hard because of the elevation and the distance. Took 4 hours to the top and 2.5 hours to come back. Less crowd. Not much sun light. It was all rocks at the top. The view from the top is good. Near to North Bend Downtown and easily accessible, decent parking lot. Restrooms are horrible.

Always a good strenuous hike/run. Today did two loops to the summit. Lots of friendly people out there today, appreciate everyone moving off to the side for this old guy running.

Great workout. Not much for views until you get to top. Scramble the haystack for a fantastic valley and Mountain View.

Let’s just say that sweating for hours is not worth the view. The only view you’ll see at the summit is some rocks and some “farmland”. Don’t waste your time and go check out other beautiful hikes we have in pnw.

Yuk. Smelled like urine and dog poop. Ugly hike. There are so many beautiful hikes in the PNW. Don't waste your time on it, especially if you're here visiting from out of the area.

Overall a good hike. Most of the trail is in the woods but the views at the top are great. The climb at the top was also a lot of fun and I would highly recommend it. Looking down from the top we saw a cougar and a black bear which was very cool!

Great trail with a great view. The incline definitely start to hit you a mile into the hike. There’s a nice little even grounded area at about 1.6 miles in which is nice for the legs just before your steady uphill walk up the rest of the way. Round trip total is about 7.5 miles. Bring snacks and water for sure! My dog did the trail with me, and she did a great job! Pulled me most of the way up, which was a win for me. Not a single cloud in the sky when we reached the summit, which made the trail well worth it! Definitely recommend.

My wife and I were in Snoqualmie and the North Bend area for part of our honeymoon. We really did no research about the area and just happened upon Mt. Si while having a meal at Tweed's. Thought it looked fun so we decided to go to the top. We loved it. We started out pretty early so there weren't as many people going up. The views above the trees were great. Way off in the distance you can make out Seattle from (near) the top. We decided to go up the haystack too, but it seems like most people stop before then. I wouldn't recommend doing the haystack unless you're comfortable doing some bouldering. It stops being a hike and becomes a climb. I don't remember how long it took us as it was a few years ago now. I do remember the facilities at the trailhead were some of the worst smelling I've been in, but maybe we caught it at a bad time. I'd definitely recommend it to anyone in the area with the time and energy to do it.

Long hike through tree covered areas all the way until you get to the top of the mountain. Steep, rocky terrain most of the way. I would recommend good hiking boots, lots of water and snacks. The switchbacks keep on going so take your time, save some energy on the way up so you can enjoy exploring the rocks and views on the very top.

Great trail. I didn’t find it too difficult. Lots of switchbacks and steep but it’s listed a hard hike so to be expected. What I love about this hike is the exploring you do after you get to the top. You can climb and see lots more with great views. I would say, if you want to fully enjoy the climbing and adventuring at the end, leave the dog at home. I find it harder to get my dog unpaved boulders especially coming down. However, the hike itself was good for dogs and lots of shade from trees.

Steep incline all the way up- great view only thing killing it is seeing the remnants of society - really good I imagine for training season

Not much variety in the trail in terms of vegetation and an unrelenting steady climb up. No views until you hit the top ... but the view of the nearby mountains is spectacular.

did this for my first hike, no experience or training. found it challenging but is definitely doable. take breaks and stay hydrated. Took me 3hr17 min to summit and 2hr37min to come down

Hardest hike I’ve ever done but, we took the old trail which is very steep. The view was definitely worth it, and we even saw a bear on the way down.

Not too much variety in scenery...good workout, and well maintained trail but no views until the top.

it was great hiking and you will find it really hard. but after reaching on the top you won't regret at all. its amazing view. stay hydrated is the most important thing and keep some food with you.

Pretty gradual with switch backs the whole way. The whole trail is shaded. took me about 3.5 hours I believe.

Hard, but worth it. Amazing views

The Mount Si trail is a decent trail to hike. There are minimal scenic views throughout the trail because it’s mainly wooded. When you get to the top of the trail you finally get to see mountain and valley views. If you want the best seat in the house, go around to the back side of haystack and make the climb up. It’s a little challenging and should be done with caution, But if you make it to the top of haystack it makes the boring first hour and a half of the hike worth it.

Love that it’s consistently steep and mostly shaded. The opening at top to panoramic views is an epic payoff.

Not my favorite hike in the area, climbing the rocks at the end was fun & the view is pretty but I prefer others.

Not for the faint at heart but worth it in the end. Lots of rocks and a lot of climbing but the view from the top is great. Rough for anyone with back injuries or who may be out of shape but, a great workout and great views!

continuous incline, felt fresh throughout the hike due to being under the shade of Trees until reaching the Top. loved the Trail with all its variety. once at Top there was Great scenery.

I decided to do both Si and Little Si in the same day, so I started at the Little Si trailhead, hiked up to the Old Mt Si trail (the upper crossing trail), and took that over to the new trail to summit that. If you think the new trail is steep, try the old one. Pretty much straight up the mountain with few switchbacks. Coming down, I took the Douglas Fir (lower crossing) trail between the two, and wow, what a trail. Smoothest, cleanest trail I've ever seen.

Discovery pass needed - easy to get via phone if you don’t have one upon arriving.
Bathrooms!

Challenging trail but the summit is worth the effort. Biggest critique of the trail is that it is monotonous, somewhat boring and due to the consistent switch backs, your views rarely change. If you don’t like forest trails, wouldn’t recommend, but if you want a challenge and solid pay off, it’s worth doing once.

Trail a little damp today but in most places not too muddy. This trail is boring if you don’t like rain forests, but invigorating if you do, and the view at the top is worth the patient slog uphill.

The “Getting There” description should read Trailhead on the left at 2.3 miles, not 4 miles.