Mount Si Old Trail is a 9.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Snoqualmie, Washington that features a great forest setting and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from April until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Tough climb. Very few people!

As everyone says, it is a tranquil, lush and beautiful, steep hike. It is a great workout! Hiked on an August, Friday morning. Started at 6am and headed down around 8:45. I was surprised that there were others coming up, but still very low traffic compared to the new Si trail.

At the end of the hike I thought I would try Little Si but it was full of too many groups of people. That was around 10:30am. I went half way up then turned around.

With my Little Si effort and an exploration jot at the top of the Haystack, I logged a little over 10 miles and over 3900 elevation gain.

I went on this trail for training and it does the job. It super steep. My recording came in at 6.8 miles and 3363 ft, so a little different than the description. I was following the downloaded map.

As people said, I was happy about the condition of the trail, except in some places where it seemed like an upward scramble. The best part really is how quiet it is.

Little Si does have a smaller parking lot that can fill up quickly.

Pretty hike! We arrived on an overcast Sundy morning at 7am and the Little Si parking lot was about half full. Only saw 4 people on the way up, probably 100+ on the way down (came back down the standard route). No views for us due to cloud cover.

5/15/2018 (Tuesday) - The Old Trail's condition is much better than I expected. The path remains solid, smooth and wide enough, no obstacle, no collapse, no downfalls, no mud, no overgrowth, no bug, just steep. The condition may even be better than Mt Washington's. I moved up by the upper part of Boulder Park Loop. It's a little more than 3 miles to the top talus. Then, I had lunch back down to the ridge of the Old Trail to evade the busy hiking traffic on the top and the new trail. Then, I moved down via the new trail and Douglas Fir Trail (also in perfect condition) for my knees' sake, and complete the lower (south) half of the Boulder Park. Very few hikers use the Old Mt Si trail, Douglas Fir Trail, and the Boulder Garden Trail, so these trails provide solitude that is rare on the popular Mount Si and Little Si trails. The time up (3 hr) and down (2 hr) is almost the same as that of the official Mount Si trail.

My wife and I hiked to Mount Si with our hiking group. We went up Old Mt. Si Trail and came down the new trail and traversed via Douglas Fir Trail. By taking the new trail down we made it easy for our knees. The weather was mostly sunny. The temperature was 51 F when we started at the trailhead and 43 F at our lunch spot and 66 F when we got back to the trailhead. There was some snow near the summit. The view at our lunch spot on the rocks was pretty good, but Mount Rainier was hidden in clouds.

Minimal snow at the top of mt Si. Beautiful clear day which made for amazing views. We could see Bellevue and downtown Seattle. The old trail is pretty steep, but the reward at the top was worth it! Very few people on the trail which makes it much more appealing than the new mt si trail. A little annoying to park at little si crowded trailhead. We got there around noon on New Year’s Day with a few spots in the over flow lot.

Saturday, August 19, 2017

Less people = more lady slipper orchids, trillium and birds than I've ever seen on the new Si trail! I thought the forest views were more beautiful than the main trail. Also steeper in some areas with a small path. I'd be reluctant to go back to the new route after trying this out :)

Thursday, October 12, 2017