Learn more

Mount Rose Trail is a 6.7 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Lilliwaup, Washington that features a river and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length 6.7 mi Elevation gain 3,553 ft Route type Loop

Waypoints (0)
Facilities
Contact
Getting There

Parking and access are free

Olympic National Forest Hoodsport Ranger Station 150 NorthLake Cushman Road Hoodsport, WA 98548 Tel: 360.877.5254

From Hoodsport, west 9 miles on Lake Cushman Road to Forest Service Road 24. Turn left and drive 3 miles to the trailhead on the right side of the road.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (450)
Photos (384)
Recordings (305)
Completed (765)
Linnea Madison
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 8, 2020
View Linnea's Recording
Maya Holaday
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 7, 2020
Hiking

Few tips - Warning very steep the entire hike. Bring plenty of water and snacks. It’s a very exhausting hike but the top is worthy! Bring some bug spray! Make sure you have good hiking boots it’s very slippery coming down! Bring poles! Feels longer than 6.7miles. The fork is about half way! The view to the top is breathtaking! Good reward! We only saw 2 people, not a very crowded hike! Don’t workout your legs the day before! I regret it !!!! It’s an overall good leg workout!!!!

Jared Blaine
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 1, 2020
Hiking

2.5 miles to the Y. Left is a gruesome mileish climb to the “rock”. Right takes you 2 miles around at a slightly easier grade. On the way down I embarrassed myself by trying to say hi to a pretty lady and my hi came out like a 12 yr old nervous boy in puberty. I really hoped I tripped and tumbled to my death after that.

View Jared's Recording
Casandra D.
Hiking

Great hike! Definitely recommend poles and taking the summit loop trail to the left. Hard in the way up that direction, but coming down the other side of the loop was much easier. We were above the clouds today so couldn’t see the lake, but the views were still amazing!

View Casandra's Recording
Sydney Whitaker
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 1, 2020
HikingGreat!

Great trail, a lot of shade! We went on a Monday and we saw 2 people there. The hike is a straight incline, really difficult. I would recommend poles although we didn’t have any this time! There is a small parking lot, but we parked on the side of the road closer to the lake.

Rod G
HikingBugsGreat!RockyScramble

Poles recommended, although my partner finished just fine without them. Recommend going counterclockwise when you hit the summit loop to get the most difficult part done first and enjoying a slightly more chill hump downhill. Bring bug spray, as they seem to get worse the higher you get. Peak is satisfying. Anyone kind a Ka-Bar folding knife? I’ll pay to get it back!

Cassie Jo
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJuly 30, 2020
HikingBugs

This trail seemed significantly longer than what was listed on the map. The map at the trail head said 1.8 miles to horse camp junction. I didn’t even make it that far and I was out there for 4 hours. Granted I’m not in the best shape but I am pretty active and go on longer hikes multiple days a week. Poles would have been great, the closer you get to the top the steeper it seems to get. My knees killed me on the way back down. Also the higher you get the worse the stinging/ biting bee type things were. The first time I did this trail I made it to a little view point with a large bench (3rd bench on the way up). This time I went past that and ended up bailing on my friend who made it all the way to the top and said the trail just kind of ended and the view wasn’t really worth it. Basically if you aren’t super fit and willing to have your ass kicked I would plan to skip this hike. If you do wanna try it make the 3rd bench your goal and it’s still a pretty hike with some views of the lake through the trees and a solid workout.

Dallas Rose
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 30, 2020
View Dallas's Recording
Jess C.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 26, 2020
Hiking

Good hike mostly on single track trail with some scramble. We saw lots of fungi, flowers, and lichen for interest on the way. The rock outcropping at the top is easy to walk by. View are worth it.

Cara McNeil
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 25, 2020
Hiking

Perfect weather for a hike on Rose today! Not as crowded as Ellinor. Started early this morning and slowly made my way to Horse Camp. Trail is in excellent condition to that point. It gets tougher after there. Took the clockwise route on the summit loop this time because I’ve done Rose before and coming down that burnt out scramble area is a hard learned lesson in rock-butt glissading and sore knees. Love the summit area and all it’s subalpine charm. I especially look forward to that ridge walk after the summit. It’s full of wildflowers and peekaboo views of the Olympics interior and the level Trail is quite a relief after that hard burn on the way up. Ran into a lot of friendly people today, too. I recommend this hike but I recommend bringing a lot of water and be prepared for your legs to burn.

View Cara's Recording
Kristin Hart
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 23, 2020
HikingGreat!

This is a beast! Straight up the whole way. When you get to the junction @ Horsecamp, the trail to the Left is shorter to summit 1+ miles to the right is almost 3 miles. Beautiful forest and tons of flowers. There are a ton of Ghost Pipe's on the trail-they are a super cool flower/plant that sprout all white and strange looking. Lots of berries along the trail. We were socked in at the top but had small view of surrounding peaks. This one beat me up! Poles recommended as the descent is quite brutal as well. Happy Hiking!

Steven Livingston
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 19, 2020
Hiking

Epic hike! Brutal going up though! Beautiful view at the top

View Steven 's Recording
Angela Park
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 13, 2020

Definitely a calf burner, but not too steep to where it hurt my knees on the way down. I stayed left at the loop and came back down the same side, so it ended up being right around 6 miles round trip. It took me ~1:45 to get the top but ~2hrs on the way down because I was sliding in the steep areas. It was very cloudy at the top, but I'd imagine the views of the lake are quite stunning from the top.

Elena Chavez
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 11, 2020
HikingBugs

Found a pair of walking trekking poles in the parking lot. Message me if you lost them! Steep all the way up! I usually try to run up trails but this one was definitely a too steep for that! Thankfully decided to wear pants - lots of close encounters with bugs and plants. Great views of Lake Cushman. Also, the whole loop is closer to 7.5 miles.

Isaiah Eaton
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 11, 2020
Backpacking

difficult trail, but rewarding. make sure you have plenty of food, water and time because this trail will take more time and effort than you think.

Elizabeth Blowers
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 10, 2020
HikingMuddyScramble

Total leg smoker. Cloudy on the day we went up (June 2020) but still worth it. Straight up the whole way. After the halfway point it gets a little scrambly and muddy. We stayed to the left and came down the same way, didn’t do full loop at the top. It was still 7.19 miles and 4192’ elevation gain. The full loop is at least 9 miles. Plenty of parking and views of Lake Cushman. Picnic tables and such by the parking if you wanted to have lunch before or after your hiking. There is a porter potty at the trailhead.

Kallie Kidder
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 8, 2020
Hiking

Hiked for sunset! Left the trailhead at about 6:45 and made it up in 1 hr & 45 mins! Absolutely stunning! A pair of black men’s Chacos (single strap) was left at the trailhead by us, pleaseeee message me if you find them! Have fun hiking! Bring a headlamp with extra batteries if going for sunset.

Rachel Skolnick
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 8, 2020
Hiking

Steep switchbacks the whole way up with plenty of tree cover. Lots of tiger lilies and berry bushes in bloom! Ate some mushrooms at the beginning of the Summit Loop. Excellent views of Lake Cushman and some curious woodpeckers thriving on the piney summit. Worth the work.

Taylor R
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 5, 2020
HikingBugsRocky

Done in Aug 2019. This was one I was happy to have done but wouldn’t choose to do it again! The elevation gains were quick, the ground was rocky and loose so losing your footing was easy to do, and there were more horseflies than I’ve ever experienced (and I’m a lifelong WA resident). It didn’t help that we accidentally picked the hottest day to attempt it. However, the views we got were awesome and it was wonderful to be able to swim in Lake Cushman right after as a cool down

Paul Glynn
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 29, 2020
HikingRockyScramble

we did a family hike on this trail, and we enjoyed the fact that the trees have us plenty of shade on a warm day. the views at the top were amazing. I will say this the trail is steep at times.

Spencer Anderson
HikingMuddy

Hiked this trail on 20june2020. The hike was awesome, the trees close to the top of the mountain are huge! Close to 10-15ft around the bottom and maybe 150ft tall. It was pretty muddy on the way down our group fell a couple of times. We’re in our mid 20’s and we fell so a good idea to bring some hiking gear if your up to the challenge. The hike was closer to 8miles round trip. I had my Garmin GPS watch on the entire time and said it was 8miles. It is a long hike and it will take some determination to get to the top!

Christina Hass
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 27, 2020
HikingRockyScrambleSnow

The trail was great, though there was loose rock and lots of scrambling over rocks, etc. There are patches of snow, so be careful of holes underneath.