Mount Rose Trail

Mount Rose Trail is a 6.7 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Lilliwaup, Washington that features a river and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

From Hoodsport, west 9 miles on Lake Cushman Road to Forest Service Road 24. Turn left and drive 3 miles to the trailhead on the right side of the road.

Great trail, constant gain in elevation! This trail gives you no breaks. We went left at the Y and it seemed everyone we passed did as well. It was snowing and once you reached the Y it started accumulating. By the time we reached the summit it was several feet deep. Gators and micro spikes a must. You could use snow shoes, but would be till you nearly reached top. This is a very tight trail with lots of obstacles. Also, thanks to whoever installed the orange ribbons, it was a lifesaver in the snow!

So... I get to the parking lot and it's DUMPING rain. I'm determined to hike today, so I go for it. I'm quickly reminded that Mt Rose makes you earn every step; the switchback before the fork are never ending. About a 1/4 mile past the fork (I went left) I needed spikes. Luckily a hiker before me was wearing snowshoes and packed the trail down pretty good. I deviated from the trail at one point and sunk up to my crotch; the snow is fresh and deep. Anyhow, made it to the summit, but of course as I'm relishing in my victory, the snow and wind really kick up. I headed down and found some cover on a snowy look out, made some hot soup and took a power nap. Despite the elements, it was a great hike; I'll be back again.

Great hike! Beautiful views at the top. I went 11-29-18 and there was virtually no snow, but you could see a lot of snow on the taller mountains. It took me 5 hr 20 min round trip with very little breaks/detours. I encourage going clockwise (left) when you reach the loop trail beginning, due to it being steeper that way and I feel it's easier going up steep terain, than down it.
A great challenging hike, but Wagonwheel Trail tougher ;)

Beautiful view! Worth it! Will do it again.
The check out my hike on Mount Rose below

Awesome steep hike! 20.6 lbs pack . Gorgeous day. Hard but the view at top is so worth it. 6 hours 33 minutes ,10 seconds.

Unbelievable hike this morning. On the trail at 630 a.m and sitting on top to watch the sunrise. The weather was perfect for fall, especially, at the summit. Very intense hike. I never give in.

Good views at the top but the climb to the top is brutal. It was also super hazy/smokey (not the trails fault).

If you are not in shape or don't enjoy hiking then find another trail. Bugs were not bad besides a fly surrounded my wife the entire descent. Total trip was 8 miles from phone app.

Honestly would not hike again.

It’s about two hours of sweat in the trees, but once you really start climbing - that little half mile stretch of a thousand feet in the middle isn’t the climb - this becomes an exhilarating hike. Summit Loop isn’t as maintained as the lower part because of less traffic. Be ready for a bit of scrambling. Went up on 17 Aug and had no issues with bugs. Still hazy and could only see the closest mountains. Bring hiking poles and at least 2 quarts of water. Not for the weak or faint hearted.

Trail is in good condition. Good hike on a hot day, mostly shaded. Not the best views on the way up. Awesome view at the top.

This trail is a better version of the stair master. Make sure to carry plenty of water, sunblock, and bug repellent.

This hike was kick butt! The view was so worth it though. It is a grind the whole way up, just make sure to pack lots of water and a can do attitude!

Great day hike starting at the shores of lake cushman. Strait up the whole way. We took the short side of the lollypop up and the long way down to save the knees which I would recommend.

Trail never stops going up. Most of the down trees are when you go left at the Y towards the summit. I took the clockwise route and the hike down from the summit across the ridge line was very nice. Poles are not essential, but make the hike easier. Some small baskets on your poles help with sinking into the organics on this mostly tree covered hike.

Lots of downed trees on the loop. This was above my capacity. Definitely the mother of all staircase climbers. Really no breaks.

Very steep! The view is worth the climb, but it is a “burner” for sure.

It’s very steep but worth the climb.

no snow on trail, but several downed trees on the summit loop.

Uphill the whole way.- thigh burner. Great views at the top

This trail is well worth the steep incline. I recommend keeping track of the trail markers towards the top as the upper summit loop trail is hard to follow with fallen trees and snow in a few places. Absolutely beautiful views of Lake Cushman at the top!

5/10/18: Beautiful! Hiked today. My Apple Watch clocked 8.6 miles. First 2/3 was steep and real easy to follow . Last 1/3 was covered in deep snow. Summit was gorgeous. Totally worth it. Follow the flags and foot prints in the snow. Some of them are hard to follow so keep an eye out. Bring plenty of salmon jerky. We wore regular hiking shoes no spikes or crampons. Slipped a few times in snow. Watch for hollow snow fell down to my hips. Just learned Washington got late fresh snow fall that’s melting fast. Nice lady at REI told us today. So probably best to rent some crampons or poles. Worth every step.

This hike is pretty steep, but the views up top are beautiful. We got to the trailhead at 9am and the lot was full, but there was overflow parking nearby. If I’m not mistaken, Horsecamp is about the halfway point if you stay left at the summit loop. Snow pack started around 3/4 of the way through. Used microspikes, which were useful, but someone with us got up and down fine in just hiking shoes. Poles would have been helpful, but none of us used any. The road to the trailhead was very smooth, I would say basically any vehicle could make it to the trailhead. I saw mosquitoes flying around but luckily didn’t get bit by any! There are a few water sources on your way up.

Great hike! I’m new to the area so I’ve been experiencing all these peaks for the first time! I did this hike on Saturday, April 7th. It was a nasty day out but it’s Washington so I went anyway. The trail is well maintained but never lets you take a break. It starts immediately at a climb and doesn’t stop until the summit. I took a left at the summit loop. There was a pretty sketchy stream crossing shortly after the snow line that I advise extreme caution. Shortly after the crossing the trail gets harder to follow, watch for the dirtier, harder packed areas of snow and just keep going. An occasional orange tag can be seen on a tree. After a short while the trail is much easier to spot. Summiting was not the easiest in the rain and wind but I managed. I was getting pelted with ice rain at the summit and i just wanted to get back down to cover. I did not find the loop down because of snow and the sudden onslaught of Mother Nature so I opted to go back down the way I came. Be careful of where you step. Deep holes lie underneath the snow so don’t stray from the packed path near summit. Micro spikes and trekking poles are a must for safely getting back down. Great hike, no view due to weather, will do again soon!

Great time. Would recommend micro spikes at a minimum. Did it without them today it was rough on the way back down.

I have recorded the Mt. Rose loop several times with my gps. It is about 7-1/2 miles round trip.

Trail became snow covered at about 2000 ft. I did not make around the whole loop but it was doable. I was not in shape for it nor did I fuel sufficiently before the start. The trail is closer to about 8mi not 6

A tough hike that gets pretty steep. The trail is well maintained, but becomes covered in snow where the summit loop begins. Some parts have only inches of snow, other parts have feet of snow. I went up the left side of the loop and down the right. Definitely recommend walking poles and spikes, I had neither so it made it difficult to climb. The snow makes for beautiful views while going up and down, worth a winter hike. Hiked 11Feb18

This hike was beautiful, but if your cardio isn't the best. I would suggest an easier hike. But once you get to the top it's phenomenal.

Very Cool! Amazing view at the Summit! We put our snowshoes on at about 2500 feet, the trail is poorly marked towards the top so we followed some tracks. Went up the right side at the loop and back down the same way because the left side was far too treacherous.

Monday, January 15, 2018

Definitely a toughie! The trail to the right is definitely poorly marked as you get to the top, there is snow cover and mid day it was pretty soft. About 8-12 inches at the top . I'd just recommend microspikes and gaiters. Definitely doable and beautiful!

Tuesday, December 05, 2017

the beginning of the trail is pretty snow free. however, once you start going left on the loop trail the snow gets pretty deep in some places. we were wet passed our knees by the time we reached the top. the view was beautiful. its a steep hike but definitely worth it