Mount Rose Trail

Mount Rose Trail is a 6.7 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Lilliwaup, Washington that features a river and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

From Hoodsport, west 9 miles on Lake Cushman Road to Forest Service Road 24. Turn left and drive 3 miles to the trailhead on the right side of the road.

Trail is in good condition. Good hike on a hot day, mostly shaded. Not the best views on the way up. Awesome view at the top.

This trail is a better version of the stair master. Make sure to carry plenty of water, sunblock, and bug repellent.

This hike was kick butt! The view was so worth it though. It is a grind the whole way up, just make sure to pack lots of water and a can do attitude!

Great day hike starting at the shores of lake cushman. Strait up the whole way. We took the short side of the lollypop up and the long way down to save the knees which I would recommend.

Trail never stops going up. Most of the down trees are when you go left at the Y towards the summit. I took the clockwise route and the hike down from the summit across the ridge line was very nice. Poles are not essential, but make the hike easier. Some small baskets on your poles help with sinking into the organics on this mostly tree covered hike.

Lots of downed trees on the loop. This was above my capacity. Definitely the mother of all staircase climbers. Really no breaks.

Very steep! The view is worth the climb, but it is a “burner” for sure.

It’s very steep but worth the climb.

no snow on trail, but several downed trees on the summit loop.

Uphill the whole way.- thigh burner. Great views at the top

This trail is well worth the steep incline. I recommend keeping track of the trail markers towards the top as the upper summit loop trail is hard to follow with fallen trees and snow in a few places. Absolutely beautiful views of Lake Cushman at the top!

5/10/18: Beautiful! Hiked today. My Apple Watch clocked 8.6 miles. First 2/3 was steep and real easy to follow . Last 1/3 was covered in deep snow. Summit was gorgeous. Totally worth it. Follow the flags and foot prints in the snow. Some of them are hard to follow so keep an eye out. Bring plenty of salmon jerky. We wore regular hiking shoes no spikes or crampons. Slipped a few times in snow. Watch for hollow snow fell down to my hips. Just learned Washington got late fresh snow fall that’s melting fast. Nice lady at REI told us today. So probably best to rent some crampons or poles. Worth every step.

This hike is pretty steep, but the views up top are beautiful. We got to the trailhead at 9am and the lot was full, but there was overflow parking nearby. If I’m not mistaken, Horsecamp is about the halfway point if you stay left at the summit loop. Snow pack started around 3/4 of the way through. Used microspikes, which were useful, but someone with us got up and down fine in just hiking shoes. Poles would have been helpful, but none of us used any. The road to the trailhead was very smooth, I would say basically any vehicle could make it to the trailhead. I saw mosquitoes flying around but luckily didn’t get bit by any! There are a few water sources on your way up.

Great hike! I’m new to the area so I’ve been experiencing all these peaks for the first time! I did this hike on Saturday, April 7th. It was a nasty day out but it’s Washington so I went anyway. The trail is well maintained but never lets you take a break. It starts immediately at a climb and doesn’t stop until the summit. I took a left at the summit loop. There was a pretty sketchy stream crossing shortly after the snow line that I advise extreme caution. Shortly after the crossing the trail gets harder to follow, watch for the dirtier, harder packed areas of snow and just keep going. An occasional orange tag can be seen on a tree. After a short while the trail is much easier to spot. Summiting was not the easiest in the rain and wind but I managed. I was getting pelted with ice rain at the summit and i just wanted to get back down to cover. I did not find the loop down because of snow and the sudden onslaught of Mother Nature so I opted to go back down the way I came. Be careful of where you step. Deep holes lie underneath the snow so don’t stray from the packed path near summit. Micro spikes and trekking poles are a must for safely getting back down. Great hike, no view due to weather, will do again soon!

Great time. Would recommend micro spikes at a minimum. Did it without them today it was rough on the way back down.

I have recorded the Mt. Rose loop several times with my gps. It is about 7-1/2 miles round trip.

Trail became snow covered at about 2000 ft. I did not make around the whole loop but it was doable. I was not in shape for it nor did I fuel sufficiently before the start. The trail is closer to about 8mi not 6

A tough hike that gets pretty steep. The trail is well maintained, but becomes covered in snow where the summit loop begins. Some parts have only inches of snow, other parts have feet of snow. I went up the left side of the loop and down the right. Definitely recommend walking poles and spikes, I had neither so it made it difficult to climb. The snow makes for beautiful views while going up and down, worth a winter hike. Hiked 11Feb18

This hike was beautiful, but if your cardio isn't the best. I would suggest an easier hike. But once you get to the top it's phenomenal.

Very Cool! Amazing view at the Summit! We put our snowshoes on at about 2500 feet, the trail is poorly marked towards the top so we followed some tracks. Went up the right side at the loop and back down the same way because the left side was far too treacherous.

Definitely a toughie! The trail to the right is definitely poorly marked as you get to the top, there is snow cover and mid day it was pretty soft. About 8-12 inches at the top . I'd just recommend microspikes and gaiters. Definitely doable and beautiful!

the beginning of the trail is pretty snow free. however, once you start going left on the loop trail the snow gets pretty deep in some places. we were wet passed our knees by the time we reached the top. the view was beautiful. its a steep hike but definitely worth it

amazing hike we climbed it today September/13/2017

Trail was pretty well maintained, gorgeous views from the top! Our groups trackers definitely didn't match up with the "5.7 miles" we averaged about 7.7-8.2 miles depending on type of tracker. But overall a great hike for incline training with nice spots to rest along the way and at the top as needed. Watch out for bees nests! One had fallen in the middle of the trail on our way back down, bees were none too happy about that!

The trail wasn't that hard. Well for me and Stephen anyway, but we exercise as a lifestyle. It was beautiful and the top was rewarding.

Monday, July 31, 2017

This hike is a tough one. This is coming from a hiker who is comfortable typically hiking "moderate" trails. You start at 700 ft elevation and the peak is 4,300 ft., in less than 3 miles. We made it up in 2.5 hours but we were walking pretty quickly. We stay left once you hit the sign for "the loop" and went straight to the peak. Definitely steep the entire way with switchbacks and inclines. You can see Rainier, Adams, and St Helens from the top with stunning views of the Olympics and Lake Cushman. Bring twice the water you think you will need and take little stops to slow down your heart rate on your way up. It's steep on the way down as well, my boyfriend and I each had one pole and that helped going down. He said this was much more difficult and steeper than Elinor. My favorite part about this hike was that we only saw about ten people the whole time on a beautiful Saturday, so it's lightly traveled. Bring snacks or lunch for the top. You'll want to take in the view for a bit and rest!

Sunday, July 23, 2017

Excellent trail, light traffic, beautiful scenery both directions.

Sunday, July 16, 2017

We hikes this on July 13th. About 1/3 of the way up the trail to the split we seen a cougar who was quick to take off. he was only about 10ft off the trail, above us, on the switch backs. Wish we could of got a picture.

Tuesday, June 20, 2017

Great trail in the Olympics. I hiked twice, but both times didn't quite finish simply do the the amount of snow towards the top. That was on me and the time of year I chose, nothing against the trail. Neither time had many other people hiking, so definitely a recommend!

Saturday, April 15, 2017

Did this hike a couple of weeks ago. Was not prepared for the waist high snow once you get to the loop portion. Made it to the top wearing shorts, not the safest idea, but we made it. Great workout, great view at the top!