Mount Rose Trail

Mount Rose Trail is a 5.7 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Lilliwaup, Washington that features a river and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

From Hoodsport, west 9 miles on Lake Cushman Road to Forest Service Road 24. Turn left and drive 3 miles to the trailhead on the right side of the road.

amazing hike we climbed it today September/13/2017

Trail was pretty well maintained, gorgeous views from the top! Our groups trackers definitely didn't match up with the "5.7 miles" we averaged about 7.7-8.2 miles depending on type of tracker. But overall a great hike for incline training with nice spots to rest along the way and at the top as needed. Watch out for bees nests! One had fallen in the middle of the trail on our way back down, bees were none too happy about that!

The trail wasn't that hard. Well for me and Stephen anyway, but we exercise as a lifestyle. It was beautiful and the top was rewarding.

This hike is a tough one. This is coming from a hiker who is comfortable typically hiking "moderate" trails. You start at 700 ft elevation and the peak is 4,300 ft., in less than 3 miles. We made it up in 2.5 hours but we were walking pretty quickly. We stay left once you hit the sign for "the loop" and went straight to the peak. Definitely steep the entire way with switchbacks and inclines. You can see Rainier, Adams, and St Helens from the top with stunning views of the Olympics and Lake Cushman. Bring twice the water you think you will need and take little stops to slow down your heart rate on your way up. It's steep on the way down as well, my boyfriend and I each had one pole and that helped going down. He said this was much more difficult and steeper than Elinor. My favorite part about this hike was that we only saw about ten people the whole time on a beautiful Saturday, so it's lightly traveled. Bring snacks or lunch for the top. You'll want to take in the view for a bit and rest!

Excellent trail, light traffic, beautiful scenery both directions.

We hikes this on July 13th. About 1/3 of the way up the trail to the split we seen a cougar who was quick to take off. he was only about 10ft off the trail, above us, on the switch backs. Wish we could of got a picture.

Great trail in the Olympics. I hiked twice, but both times didn't quite finish simply do the the amount of snow towards the top. That was on me and the time of year I chose, nothing against the trail. Neither time had many other people hiking, so definitely a recommend!