Mount Rose Trail

Mount Rose Trail is a 5.7 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Lilliwaup, Washington that features a river and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until October.

From Hoodsport, west 9 miles on Lake Cushman Road to Forest Service Road 24. Turn left and drive 3 miles to the trailhead on the right side of the road.

Did this hike a couple of weeks ago. Was not prepared for the waist high snow once you get to the loop portion. Made it to the top wearing shorts, not the safest idea, but we made it. Great workout, great view at the top!

Like the rest of the reviews say, the elevation gain is evident. It's still pretty snowy/icy at 3600 feet -- no chance of a summit without micro spikes for at least a couple more weeks. There were quite a few people on the trail for early April.

Definitely a hard hike. The quick elevation gain is evident. We hit two yellow jacket or hornet ground nests. We both got stung a couple times. We took the path to the left. One nest was right past the small log bridge and another as you get closer to the top. It was a nice day but we were clouded in at the summit. Sad we didn't get to see the view. May have to do it again, when the yellow jackets are gone!

Mount Rose was in my opinion more challenging than Mount Ellinor because the hike is a steady climb up while the scenery stays the same. You are surrounded by trees the entire time until you hit the top. While Mt Ellinor you get a few different changes in scenery.
As we were hiking up we had a few people tell us to take a right at the loop because there was a huge swarm of bees to the left but then another person told us either way there are big swarms of bees but going right you will get a better chance of making it to the top but that we will hear them as we approach the top.. And sure enough we were right there where the trees start to clear out and we heard the swarm (it was pretty impressive how loud it was)..and a few bees were already coming towards us so we turned around and headed back down. We were disappointed that we didn't get to see the views but had a good time conquering the hike up because it wasn't easy! All in all I would try hiking it again just to get a peak at the views!

Strenuous; forested all the way up but beautiful views of Lake Cushman and beyond from the top. Don't miss Mt. Raneir in the distance on your far left!

very very difficult trail.
we made it to just pass the start of the loop and ended up turning around.
there are quite a few good views from mid way points but everyone who made it to the top said it was way better than any other view along the trail.

mentally and physically prepare yourself for this hike. it starts off on a steady incline that doesnt look to bad but its constant and just gets steeper along the way. also bring bug spray!

Great my wife and I climbed Mt. Rose a few years ago. There is a fork in the trail where you can go to the summit or s loop back down we chose right! We found ourselves scaling a mountain. At some point we ran out of water, we found a spring and filled up. We felt the burn in our legs about half way up we pressed on! Once we reached the summit the views were breath taking! A #mostxlant challenge!

Fabulous!!! One of the best so far, challenging but perfect; once on top, it is almost just you in the mountain. Not a frequented trail. If you have fragile feet, bring band aids or soft socks, hiking boots definitively recommended.

6/29/2016: This trail was the steepest I've done in the PNW after being here two months. I have climbed mailbox peak, Granite Mountain, and Silver Peak… All took longer, but were not as steep.

This hike in my opinion is definitely a conditioner, is not a scenic...And sadly, there was heavy fog today which started lifting as I was nearing completion

My opinion may be biased and partial to the Snoqualmie area because I absolutely love being up top of those peaks… Although the fog really hindered my opinion at the top of Mount Rose. Going to try some others in the Olympic Park area… but this will not be one that I repeat

Trail conditions were fine, no snow, there were signs posted at the trailhead regarding a fire 10 years ago, but I saw a little debris affecting the use of the trail.

this trail is not for the faint of hearted. it starts off decent but almost instantly takes you up as you begin to climb with countless switchbacks going ever higher. I did a night hike, started around 1 am and got back to base around 730. We ended up spending some time at the top because of the views.

Sunday, April 24, 2016

4/23/16 - What an incredibly fulfilling hike. Great views along the way. I would rate it about 3.5 out of 5 stars in regards to difficulty. This hike does not rival the Mailbox peak old trail; however, it is a great work out. If you are not conditioned or are a beginner, you may struggle.

The snow is mostly gone. Any snow left you can easily follow previous footsteps or pay attention to trail markers without getting lost.

Again, great hike with great scenery. I'm definitely adding this to my top five favorites.

Saturday, April 23, 2016

Thursday, April 21, 2016

This was a good hike with a great climb. I didn't make it to the top due to having some beginners but it was awesome views and a nice fall/creek.