Learn more

Mount Rainier Standard Summit Route is a 14.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Ashford, Washington that features a waterfall and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Length 14.7 mi Elevation gain 8,986 ft Route type Out & Back
Backpacking Camping Hiking Nature trips Rock climbing Skiing Snowshoeing Bird watching Forest Views Waterfall Wild flowers Wildlife Bridge out Rocky Scramble Snow No dogs
Description
Waypoints (2)
Facilities
Contact
Tips
Getting There

Three day climb via Camp Muir, Ingraham Glacier & Disappointment Cleaver This is one of the standard routes up Mt. Rainier. You will ascent the Muir Glacier to Camp Muir and spend the 1st night there. Then you will continue on to the Ingraham Glacier campsite which is just another 1,000 feet above Muir. There you will spend one more short night to acclimatize before leaving camp around 2am in the morning for an early summit bid. You will ascend Dissapointment Cleaver and hopefully make the summit near or just after sunrise. Return via the same track 9,000 feet after packing up camp in one day. You will be tired! Note: Before attempting this climb you MUST have experience in glacier and high alpine travel and crevasse rescue. Please check and read the supplemental links with this guide before you go. Use this guide as a directional track, but do a A LOT OF READING about this mountain before attempting it. There are many guide services you can contact as well if you do not have experience. Off line map is recommended to get oriented as several users have reported that this trail is not well marked and/or that there may be poor cell reception in this area.

Parking is available at Paradise, WA though summer crowds can make for quite a busy start. Arriving early in the morning usually affords climbers a prime spot where cars can be left overnight. Water and restrooms at Paradise. Restrooms only at Camp Muir.

Mt. Rainier Climbing Pass Site http://www.nps.gov/mora/planyourvisit/climbing.htm Rainier Mountain Guides http://www.rmiguides.com/ Very Detailed Route and Mountain Info http://www.summitpost.org/mount-rainier/150291 Skiing the Cascades Mt. Rainier Info http://www.skimountaineer.com/CascadeSki/CascadeSki.php?name=Rainier

You will need to obtain a climbers pass for $30. Look up the Mt. Rainier National Park website for info on obtaining one of these over the internet. There is also a $20 entrance fee to get into the park, but after that parking is free at the Paradise Parking lot below the ranger station. Directions: From Seattle to Elbe/Ashford: Take I-5 South to Exit 127 off I-5 to SR 512 E Take SR 512 E to SR 7 Head South on 7 to Elbe and SR 706 Take SR 706 E to Ashford From Portland to Elbe/Ashford: Take I-5 North to US 12, Exit 68 Take 12 E to Morton and SR 7 Take SR 7 North to Elbe and SR 706 Take SR 706 East to Ashford From Ashford follow SR 706 E towards Mount Rainier to reach the Paradise parking lot.

Mt Rainier National Park Paradise Visitor Center for the easiest route up via Camp Muir and Disappointment Cleaver.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (142)
Photos (2277)
Recordings (81)
Completed (350)
Mo untain
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 10, 2020
Hiking

In one of the most memorable experiences, this weekend I attempted mount Rainier for second time with a group of two rope teams (total of 7 climbers). While wind speed expectations were in the range of 25 mph, an anemometer that we had within the group measured wind gusts up to 55 mph. I made the decision to turn around above 13,000 feet for a number of reasons mainly the huge number of crevasses (one of them was huge enough we had to climb down into the crevasse on a very thin lip to cross to the other side) and uncertainty about their conditions on way back, the high wind gusts, the longer route to the summit given need to avoid many crevasses. We were the only people on the upper mountain on that day since all other teams turned around at DC. It was a great experience to push that far and see the glaciated upper mountain but I am happy that we turned around and did not summit even if the risk was only 1%. Human life is very precious. Mountains will always be there. Personally I enjoy the experience more than the summit or achievement of summiting. Being on Rainier with no other groups around meant so much as an experience. C2C approach worked as we gained 8000 ft on one of the most challenging mountains in the west coast and descended down in one day (or literally less than a day). We got up above 13,000 ft with no need to acclimatize at Muir or Ingrham flats. The approach is feasible and can be repeated. I am glad we were faced with this high winds as it adds to the experience and stories to tell about these mountains. Blessed that all my group members went back home safe. To me, this is the most important goal to achieve at the end of a hike/climb.

Jordan Duffield
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 9, 2020
CampingGreat!RockyScrambleSnow

No joke! Large crevasses in the late season meant crossing over one on a ladder bridge. Apparently most seasons guided groups carve out a trail to the summit but that’s not the case this year, trail finding is a must and we added our own anchors in exposed areas. Went with RMI and summited on a clear day 9/1/20!

Gregory Booth
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 8, 2020
Hiking

I would love to summit this next summer (2021). If anyone has advice/tips for me or is interested in teaming up/preparing, email me at gabooth4@gmail.com. I live in the Seattle area.

Venkata Shashidhar
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarAugust 23, 2020
Hiking

I would like to do the summit hike the coming week. 24/25/26 of Aug. Is it advisable to do it in a 1 or 2 days or does it have to be done in 3 days? If someone is interested, please ping me at shashivenky108@gmail.com. I am currently in Seattle. Looking forward to a response.

David Frey
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 21, 2020
HikingGreat!

Breathtaking the whole way! Had to turn back at the cleaver due to a crevasse incident that I lost my gopro at. I will be back!

Bryan Lorman
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 20, 2020

Learned a lot on this trip from the disappointment of turning around. Most importantly, start early for both Muir and the Summit. The Cleaver takes more time than I expected and was definitely the most difficult part to navigate.

Arthur Zaba
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 19, 2020

Excellent location views and time up

Sam Oler
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 18, 2020
Horseback riding

I ride horses up mountains

Adam Zadra
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarAugust 14, 2020
HikingRockyScrambleSnow

First of all: paying $51 and $20 for permits and $30 for park entry would make me think that the trails are at their best.. and they are not Second of all: trail markers do not exist on the standard route to mt rainier. Given that summit attempts start at night one would expect well marked trails.. it is a common thing that groups of climbers waste time trying to find the way up or getting lost, and a similar situation is on the way back, in a daylight. I think it’s time to work on it, Mr Rainier It was my first attempt so I have a few things to share with other virgins. Whatever you hear: take the microspikes. In fact, today, I think, I could climb the entire way with them fixed on the regular hiking boots. Today I mean a day in August. I’m sure other months and seasons require what I wore today - Mountaineers boots and crampons. Next : fluids fluids fluids And : take a garbage bag or something alike to save time and slide down... Then sunscreen. For East Coast hikers: this climb is like ascending a mix of Mt Washington and mt katahdin but worse, longer and higher...

View Adam's Recording
Allison Fintak
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 10, 2020
HikingGreat!

Looking for some nice peeps to give me some tips to prepare for next years attempt and some mountain pals! Email me allisonfintak1@gmail.com

Mo untain
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 9, 2020
HikingRockyScrambleSnow

The value of “aborted missions” I do believe that aborted missions carry more value than completed ones!! They are characteristic of ability take difficult decisions in short time based on limited information. They save lives but also they inspire for learning and improving. We planned Rainier summit - C2C and spent significant time training and discussing crevasse rescue, C2C approach, nutrition, hydration, sleep, gear etc. There were two differ rope teams, 4 per rope team. 4 of them never summit Rainier before and the other 4 never did it C2C but all team members have done significant climbs C2C including glacier travel. C2C Plan worked well. We started 8:30pm Sat night and were at Muir at midnight. Rest and rope up till 1am. By 4am we were done with disappointment cleaver and ready to finish the remaining 1700 feet and summit by 6-7am max. But then we were faced by wind gusts apparently at 35-40 mph accompanied by hearing noise of what sounds like significant rock fall three times at night. We made a 10-15 min discussion and took votes and decided to turn around for safety. Mins after our decisions we witnessed what seemed to be a climber sliding on steep slope of the mountain far above DC and the rest of the team (4) seemed to try to rescue him using the rope (hope he or she is safe). When we came back to Muir we witnessed a major rock fall. I am glad we respected the mountain and I know Rainier wants us back soon and it shall be. I am delighted that C2C approach seems to work well. Most importantly, all climbers are back home safely. Crampons needed halfway to Muir given icy snow at night. Axe of course. Disappointment cleaver was as usual rocky and steep. There was one small ladder over a crevasse and wooden bar over another. Nothing too serious or complicated for this mountain. I would say rockfall is the biggest threat now specially with wind gusts

z perez
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 8, 2020
HikingIcyMuddy
View z's Recording
John Binay
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 6, 2020
HikingSnow

We are a team of 2 looking for partner(s) to rope in with for a climb this Saturday and Sunday (August 8/9, 2020). Our 3rd teammate bailed out today. Email me at jkbinay@gmail.com

Jason Arden
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 3, 2020
Hiking

Beautiful climb, straightforward, easy to navigate thanks to IMG maintaining the route.

Michael Dolbee
Hiking

Everyone watch mediocre amateur if you want a good video on how to hike it in a day.

Zachary Lytle
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 28, 2020
Hiking

Hi everybody, I’m an out of town hiker from KCMO looking forward hike this on the weekend of Sep. 11-13. Was originally in town for a couple Spartan Races that are now cancelled, but this is on my bucket list so I plan on taking advantage of the time! If interested in hiking this, email me at zachary.r.lytle@gmail.com!

Wesley Black
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 16, 2020
HikingIcy

Looking to do this July 26 or 26-27 as needed. There are two of us so far. Looking to join or have some join. Message me at bigredone1111@yahoo.com

david morgan
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 10, 2020
Hiking

Would like to find others to summit Rainier on July 22-23, depending on weather, one day climb on DC route. Contact is dbm462000@gmail.com

Road Trip Rohan
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 30, 2020
Hiking

Planning on Doing this in 2021 Interested or whoever is on same boat please message on Instagram: @roadtriprohan

Taco Nicholas
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 23, 2020
Hiking

looki9ng for a third on jun24-25. going straight to Ingraham Wednesday, for an early summit Thursday morning. reach me @ nicholassummet@gmail.com

Cody JP
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 13, 2020
Hiking

Looking for a fourth to a current three man crew to make a summit push on 6/19, email me Steelersfan9412 @gmail.com if you're interested!!

David Rubio
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 26, 2020
Hiking

Looking for experienced partners to summit this summer! (Late June, early July). Anyone interested? Let’s talk! rubiodavid1981@gmail.com