Mount Muller Trail

Mount Muller Trail is a 13 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Port Angeles, Washington that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Horses are also able to use this trail.

We went counterclockwise just to switch it up. We did the loop. There were absolutely no views of the straight or any other mountains. We were socked in with rain and fog. It was gorgeously glorious in its’ own right. I’m an experienced hiker but I’m not in the best of shape. 6 hours total for the entire loop. The trail had recently been partially cleared but there were parts of foliage overgrowth that led us to get soaked. It was wet! We did not take a break due to the frosty conditions along the ridge and I was whooped. Do this hike on a clear day for the views. Do this hike on a rainy day for the ambiance.

My wife and I hiked this trail in late July 2018. We parked straight off of Hwy 101 and hiked clockwise, getting the majority of the vert early in the hike. We started in the fog, but quickly got above it to sunshine and beautiful views of Mt Olympus. The fog cleared as the hike progressed and the views South toward Mt Olympus got better and better! We also got great views of Crescent Lake from up high! The trail was easy to follow and well marked, with loads of wild, consumable berries to munch along the way. The short spur trail to the summit climaxed in a sign confirming the elevation, but no view. Still though do it because it’s no real additional effort. Total loop distance of 13 miles, and took us just at 6 hours at a casual pace. Enjoy and happy trails.

Thursday, July 20, 2017

I did this trail clockwise so I could get the tough part out of the way first. You get on top after about 2.3 miles of climbing, but from then on it is fantastic! Incredible views and I had lunch at Jasmine's Meadow, overlooking the valley with a view of Lake Crescent. The trail is well marked and I saw no places where the trail had slid away (as someone previously reported), so they obviously have fixed it. So many variations of wild flowers that I kept stopping to take pictures! Awesome place.

Wednesday, June 07, 2017

Great hike with some beautiful views of Lake Crescent; however the views across the Straits of Juan de Fuca to Canada are minimal and through the trees. We liked the option of the Muller Divide Trail in case we were tired, but never saw the junction, luckily we had decided to do the whole loop. There were just a few patches of snow left on the trail when we did the hike that didn't affect us. It is a lightly trafficked trail - we never saw another person. Note that this is part of the Olympic National Forest, and you have to pay $5 at the trailhead (envelopes and box available).

Saturday, May 27, 2017

Attempted to hike the loop clockwise on Sunday May 21st. The hike up to Jim's junction was great. The trail was in excellent condition. On the ridge we encountered snow in a few patches but managed to get passed fairly easily. The summit and panoramic viewpoint offered amazing views. We started our decent but encountered snow that was not passable without snowshoes at the 5.7 mile mark. We turned around and descended the same way we came up. Tough hike but very rewarding views.

Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Hiked to the peak of Mt Muller and back on 5/22. As Tammy mentioned, around mile 5.7, you may hit some huge snow banks. We didn't feel well equipped enough to traverse the steep snow banks in just hiking boots, so turned back around mile 6. Still an amazing hike as an out and back--the views stretch to Canada, Mt Baker, and Crescent Lake. Also incredibly amazing variance in terrain and vegetation--great example of the amazingness of Washington wilderness! Definitely a challenging hike, but fairly quick for about 12 miles. My husband and I are really athletic, and it took us about 5 hours round trip (including a 20 min lunch break at the top). Nothing too technical or rocky--just lots of smooth, moderately steep switchbacks for the first 3.7 miles, then a bit of up and down along the ridge. Only saw 3 other hikes the whole time, so pretty lightly trafficked and quiet when we went. 100% worth it!!

Monday, May 22, 2017

This is a lightly trafficked route that makes for a fantastic day hike. I went with one friend and we experienced a little bit of everything - challenging uphill, breathtaking views, meadows, lush forest, etc. I would highly recommend this hike to anybody in decent shape. However, be very wary of snow/ice! After the peak, you start downhill on a side of the mountain that receives less sun. We found ourselves climbing and "ice picking" with sticks across 3+ ft snow banks for two miles (6-7) on the decent. Though challenging and exhilarating at times, traversing the near vertical, melting snow was definitely a risky task! It would have been much easier with proper snow shoes or poles. Once we passed the snow the rest of the downhill was gradual and easy. Would highly recommend after June/July for the panoramic views at the top!

Saturday, July 18, 2015

Lots of climbing but great variation on coming down , was fun biking it

Wednesday, July 18, 2012

From the trailhead, it is a tough 2 miles to reach the top. Take a right and you will be hiking along the ridge with panoramic views of Canada, Mt. Baker, the Olympics, and the Straits of Juan de Fuca. You will pass through alpine meadows. The wildflowers are in full bloom and the views are literally breath-taking! The trail is in great shape, easy to navigate, and the memories will stay with you a long, long time. It was a glorious day!

recorded Mt muller