Mount Kit Carson Trail

Mount Kit Carson Trail is a 5.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Mead, Washington that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

I park in the SnoPark lot at the intersection of Mount Spokane Park Drive and N Summit Rd. From there, cross the road to the Trail 131 trailhead. Follow 131 to the Bald Knob Picnic Area and head toward the road on the other side. Cross that portion of N Summit Rd and you'll see Trail 130. Follow 130 for about a mile and you'll come to the CCC Camp.

You'll want to take a moment to explore. From the stone walkway and steps leading to the cabin, to the stacked wood waiting to be burned in the fireplace inside, I almost wanted to set up camp myself.

From the CCC Camp, follow the dirt road until you see Trail 140 on your left. This is your final leg to the summit. One final push and the trail breaks into the parking lot by Chair One and the Vista House.

After taking in the setting sun and my fingers started to stop functioning from the cold, I knew I should probably head back down before dark, beings this is the only trail in my hiking history I've ever encountered a wolf on (most magical moment of my life).

I highly recommend exploring this little slice of Heaven in the summer!

Sometime in JUN JUL 18 this trail was decimated. Appears Mt SPOKANE Ski resort has added several new ski runs on that side of the mountain. If switchbacking turn after turn in very recent clear cuts. huge swaths down that side of the mountain then this your hell on earth. Concrete poured for the lifts. Bicycles have turned this into a talc like dust bowl. Views? You betcha cause all those ancient old growth trees are gone. If you’re a skier rejoice. Bikers should have it to themselves cause nobody in their right mind would waste time hiking here anymore. Gave 2 stars cause it’s close to the house. Be interesting to see how cougar deal with all this loss of habitat.

great little hike. nice shade, and well groomed. definitely hike again.

This only shows a portion of the Mt. Kit Carson Trail to summit that starts at Trail 100. I accidentally deleted the recording of the majority of the trail. Regardless, this 6.1 mike trail is an out and back trail that is dog friendly and traverses through dense forest to arrive at a 360 degree view from the summit!

Most of the trail has only very slight elevation gain, the only exception being the initial section as you ascend Trail 110 where this recording took place and then another section near the summit.

This trip took us 3 hours, including a 10 minute rest at the top.

A great half- day hike!!

A very fun hike, especially if you start from the bottom at trail 110. The trails are very well groomed and the top is totally worth it.

Will return to finish so we can see the amazing views from the top! Lots of snow on this particular day but such a great trail.

Sunday, November 26, 2017

Taken the loop but found this trail by itself is not enough of a challenge for me personally I have to add onto the miles, but as all the trails on Mt Spokane there is no denying the natural Beauty and the peaceful atmosphere

Sunday, August 27, 2017

Great view

Sunday, August 20, 2017

This is a great hike for breaking in your new hikers. Pretty view at the top and lots of huckleberries right next to the trail!

Sunday, July 23, 2017

Took the trail with or two toddlers in backpacks and had a great time! Next time will bring the dog. The trail detoured a little from the map due to downed trees but it was very clearly marked. The lookout at the peak is beautiful! Lots of people out picking huckleberries. Go early, the walk back was not very shady and got hot!

Friday, July 21, 2017

Fun hike. Nice trail. My son is 4 years old and did the whole thing himself! He was very excited to reach the top! We got a few huckleberries, they weren't quite ripe yet. Lots of green ones tho! We will come back! And they sprayed for bugs!

Thursday, July 20, 2017

Nice walk trail is well maintained and great view at the top!

Sunday, July 09, 2017

Did this at 7AM on Sunday and I was the only one parked at TH and on the trail the whole 80 minutes the hike took. Views from the summit are excellent. Trail was very good and obvious the whole way. Bug spray still is recommended for flies.

Tuesday, June 20, 2017

Simple, easy, wide (20ft) paths with vibrant trail markers. Views of both sides of the mountain. Long stretches with a view of the south side, especially.

Vegetation was sparse but with a wide variety. More bird calls in the morning than evening.

Bug spray may be a necessity, as insects were rampant-- giant bees, flies, aphids, wouldn't leave us alone. No mosquitoes. The butterflies fluttered around the blooming wildflowers.

Drive was hard on the car, and some roads were 1-car only. Paths were popular, but only saw a group every half hour or so.

Also, the camp sites had new(?) bathrooms with well maintained permanent structures (benches, fire pits, trails).

Thursday, June 08, 2017

The hike was beautiful. We went to watch the sunset. Couldn't of asked for a better hike

Monday, May 08, 2017

i really enjoyed this hike not to muddy.

Saturday, November 26, 2016

love the views!

Saturday, November 05, 2016

Great views.

Friday, July 29, 2016

great views year round

Saturday, April 09, 2016

we went in April, good thing we brought snow shoes, as we got up a little bit the week started post holing.
the view from the top was awesome

Monday, December 21, 2015

Great snowshoeing today. trails are very well groomed. We did go the wrong way but it turned out to be a nice area where few had gone. Excited to come back and explore further soon.

Monday, October 05, 2015

Nice scenic hike, parked at the upper Mt Kit Carson trail head. Hike was about 2.5 miles up to the Summit.

Friday, May 15, 2015

Great loop trail. Not recommended for beginner hikers. Friend encountered a moose in 2013, so be on the lookout. Fabulous vistas at the peak. Enjoy!

Friday, January 16, 2015

Mt. Kit Carson Trail proved to be a very diverse hike, overgrown with diverse wildlife, trees, and wild huckleberries. Nearer to the top, the trail forks and there is a simply stunning meadowed area that allows for good views of Spokane to the west and north. Not too difficult of a hike overall, but the distance itself still proved to be fairly tiring. Would definitely recommend. Huzzah!

Tuesday, July 23, 2013

The view is absolutely beautiful! Getting there was trouble for me. We ended up eventually just parking about 2 miles away from the bottom of the summit. Once we got to where it says go here to get to MT Kit Carson it only takes about 20 minutes to get to the top. So the actual hike itself is super short. Finding it was the tricky part for me. It's well worth the view though.

Saturday, June 09, 2012

Definitely one of the best/more difficult hikes in the Spokane area. The top offers beautiful views of the surrounding areas. Well worth the time.

Thursday, July 28, 2011

This is the year of the Bear Grass. It is the best I have ever seen at Mt. Spokane State Park and I have been hiking the mountain for over 30 years.Today I also saw Indian Paintbrush,Phlox, Groundsel,Mountain Bluebells and a couple different kinds of mushrooms. I also saw a small patch of snow on the north side of the mountain.

Thursday, July 07, 2011

it is the end of June and there is still snow on Mt. Spokane.This is the latest I have ever seen snow on the mountain.The road to the summit and campground is still closed.I did find some Morel mushrooms and there were a lot of flowers in bloom. The creek coming down the mountain was running very high.The best things I found to photograph was a Snowbank False Morel and some Fairy Slipper Orchids.I plan to go back in a couple of weeks to see if I can find more wildflowers to photograph.

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Mt. Kit Carson is part of Mt.Spokane State Park and offers a variety of hiking trails. Trail number 170 is a fairly steep hike but it is worth the effort when you reach the summit of Mt. Kit Carson{elev.5282} as there are some great views of the valley below.