Mount Kit Carson Trail

Mount Kit Carson Trail is a 3.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Mead, Washington that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, horses, mountain biking, and snowshoeing and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Taken the loop but found this trail by itself is not enough of a challenge for me personally I have to add onto the miles, but as all the trails on Mt Spokane there is no denying the natural Beauty and the peaceful atmosphere

Great view

This is a great hike for breaking in your new hikers. Pretty view at the top and lots of huckleberries right next to the trail!

Took the trail with or two toddlers in backpacks and had a great time! Next time will bring the dog. The trail detoured a little from the map due to downed trees but it was very clearly marked. The lookout at the peak is beautiful! Lots of people out picking huckleberries. Go early, the walk back was not very shady and got hot!

Fun hike. Nice trail. My son is 4 years old and did the whole thing himself! He was very excited to reach the top! We got a few huckleberries, they weren't quite ripe yet. Lots of green ones tho! We will come back! And they sprayed for bugs!

Nice walk trail is well maintained and great view at the top!

Did this at 7AM on Sunday and I was the only one parked at TH and on the trail the whole 80 minutes the hike took. Views from the summit are excellent. Trail was very good and obvious the whole way. Bug spray still is recommended for flies.

Simple, easy, wide (20ft) paths with vibrant trail markers. Views of both sides of the mountain. Long stretches with a view of the south side, especially.

Vegetation was sparse but with a wide variety. More bird calls in the morning than evening.

Bug spray may be a necessity, as insects were rampant-- giant bees, flies, aphids, wouldn't leave us alone. No mosquitoes. The butterflies fluttered around the blooming wildflowers.

Drive was hard on the car, and some roads were 1-car only. Paths were popular, but only saw a group every half hour or so.

Also, the camp sites had new(?) bathrooms with well maintained permanent structures (benches, fire pits, trails).

The hike was beautiful. We went to watch the sunset. Couldn't of asked for a better hike

i really enjoyed this hike not to muddy.

Saturday, November 26, 2016

love the views!

Saturday, November 05, 2016

Great views.

Friday, July 29, 2016

great views year round

Saturday, April 09, 2016

we went in April, good thing we brought snow shoes, as we got up a little bit the week started post holing.
the view from the top was awesome

Monday, December 21, 2015

Great snowshoeing today. trails are very well groomed. We did go the wrong way but it turned out to be a nice area where few had gone. Excited to come back and explore further soon.

Monday, October 05, 2015

Nice scenic hike, parked at the upper Mt Kit Carson trail head. Hike was about 2.5 miles up to the Summit.

Friday, May 15, 2015

Great loop trail. Not recommended for beginner hikers. Friend encountered a moose in 2013, so be on the lookout. Fabulous vistas at the peak. Enjoy!

Friday, January 16, 2015

Mt. Kit Carson Trail proved to be a very diverse hike, overgrown with diverse wildlife, trees, and wild huckleberries. Nearer to the top, the trail forks and there is a simply stunning meadowed area that allows for good views of Spokane to the west and north. Not too difficult of a hike overall, but the distance itself still proved to be fairly tiring. Would definitely recommend. Huzzah!

Tuesday, July 23, 2013

The view is absolutely beautiful! Getting there was trouble for me. We ended up eventually just parking about 2 miles away from the bottom of the summit. Once we got to where it says go here to get to MT Kit Carson it only takes about 20 minutes to get to the top. So the actual hike itself is super short. Finding it was the tricky part for me. It's well worth the view though.

Saturday, June 09, 2012

Definitely one of the best/more difficult hikes in the Spokane area. The top offers beautiful views of the surrounding areas. Well worth the time.

Thursday, July 28, 2011

This is the year of the Bear Grass. It is the best I have ever seen at Mt. Spokane State Park and I have been hiking the mountain for over 30 years.Today I also saw Indian Paintbrush,Phlox, Groundsel,Mountain Bluebells and a couple different kinds of mushrooms. I also saw a small patch of snow on the north side of the mountain.

Thursday, July 07, 2011

it is the end of June and there is still snow on Mt. Spokane.This is the latest I have ever seen snow on the mountain.The road to the summit and campground is still closed.I did find some Morel mushrooms and there were a lot of flowers in bloom. The creek coming down the mountain was running very high.The best things I found to photograph was a Snowbank False Morel and some Fairy Slipper Orchids.I plan to go back in a couple of weeks to see if I can find more wildflowers to photograph.

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Mt. Kit Carson is part of Mt.Spokane State Park and offers a variety of hiking trails. Trail number 170 is a fairly steep hike but it is worth the effort when you reach the summit of Mt. Kit Carson{elev.5282} as there are some great views of the valley below.