Mount Fremont Lookout Trail

Mount Fremont Lookout Trail is a 5.6 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Ashford, Washington that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from June until September.

Distance: 5.6 miles Elevation Gain: 1,145 feet Route Type: Out & Back

The beginning of the trail started at the ranger station of the sunrise visitor center with grassy meadows full of wildflowers. Towards the end of the trail the landscape was mainly rocks with incredible views of Rainer and surrounding mountains. It is cool being able to experience different landscapes throughout the hike.

Dynamic trail with different viewpoints around every corner. Felt like Mt Ranier was our friend by the end of it. Took us about 2 hours to get to the top, snow covered a lot of the tail end of the trail. I suggest hiking boots, some people had on spikes. Much scarier than it looks. View at the top is gorgeous and can see various ranges across Washington. Moderate trail, plenty of daylight to do it all with leisure and max absorption

Mount Fremont has been my favorite trail so far at Mt Rainer National Park. The Panoramic views the whole hike are what make this trail so incredible. There was snow covering path the second half of the hike that was pretty deep, some areas went up to my knees. However we made it to the viewpoint and the sky was clear and sunny! Highly recommend this hike.

Beautiful hike. Stupendous views of Northeast face of Rainier and in all directions. Saw mountain goats in meadows below. To correct a prior review: there’s nothing dangerous or scary about this trail. I don’t like heights but this trail is fine. Hiked Tuesday 9/24. My Garmin only measured 825 feet elevation gain. The tower is 7200 feet and the Sunrise parking lot is ~ 6400, Perhaps with the dips and re-ascents it’s the advertised 1200 feet. Rangers in the lookout were friendly and informative.

Incredible hike above the clouds if your lucky! My 4 year old did the entire thing by herself! There is so much variety and different terrain, it kept us all interested. One of our favorite hikes so far! Incredible views of Mt. Rainjer on a clear day.

Wow! This hike leaves you breathless every step you take. We arrived at the trailhead at 6:30am and it was worth it! We saw the sunrise and were able to enjoy the quiet and stillness of morning without the crowds. The incline may be hard for others but there are plenty of places to stop and enjoy the view. The last mile or two to the top of the most difficult with narrow walk path and steep drops on the left side. Be very careful going through that area because one slip of your foot could be dangerous. The views at the top are like no other, and definitely worth the effort to get there!

Great view of the mountain rainier. Days with few cloud is the best choice for the view. But it can be sunny and hot as there is no shade.

What a beautiful trail this was! But when I first got there it was raining so I wasn’t sure if I’d be able to make it up to this trail. But eventually the rain stopped and I was able to hike this amazing trail. Seeing Mount Rainier throughout the whole hike was just stunning.I definitely recommend this hike anyone.

The whole hike is one amazing view.

Amazing hike! It was roughly 6 miles and it took us 3 hours. The trail is well kept and very well marked. I do suggest you go early because the parking lot was packed by the time we got back around 1pm and they were limiting the amount of cars entering the park at that time. The trail had amazing Mt Rainier views the whole time! Highly suggest.

Most breathtaking place ive ever been, there are views for days there- definitely recommend going on a cooler day

Beautiful hike! The weather was amazing and that made it even better! No mosquitoes! Saw some deer and chipmunks. The wildflowers are beautiful too.

I hiked this trail on Sunday August 25th and it was absolutely beautiful! The beginning of the trail started at the ranger station of the sunrise visitor center with grassy meadows full of wildflowers. Towards the end of the trail the landscape was mainly rocks with incredible views of Rainer and surrounding mountains. It was cool being able to experience different landscapes throughout the hike. This hike really checks all the boxes-360 degree views, an alpine lake, wildlife(we saw marmots & chipmunks but heard others say they saw mountain goats), (wildflowers if you’re catching it at the right time), a lookout tower at the end with stunning views, and a medium level of activity & length. I felt it wasn’t as crowded as many other hikes I had been on in Mt Rainer national park which was a plus as well. You could see the lookout tower about a mile before you reached it & it looked ominous sitting high above the clouds. I have done quite a few hikes in this region and I have to say this one took the prize for me!

Went early on a (Wednesday) blue sky day and had stunning, breathtaking views! We saw very few people going up and a few more going down. We had the lookout tower to ourselves and saw mountain goats, a marmot and some ground squirrel. The parking lot was packed when we returned. This trail is very exposed so I recommend sunscreen and plenty of water. Highly recommend!

Awesome hike! Trail is as described. Beautiful views. We got to sunrise at about 7am and it was so worth it because by the time we got down it was PACKED! Had a good amount of time at the lookout alone before some other hikers stopped by. Some cloud cover blew in, but it was breathtaking before that, and still amazing with low visibility. Highly recommend!

Great views. Pretty crowded trail.

Lovely hike once the cloud cover pushed out.