Learn more

Mount Fremont Lookout Trail is a 5.6 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Ashford, Washington that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from June until September.

Length 5.6 mi Elevation gain 1,145 ft Route type Out & Back
Kid friendly Hiking Nature trips Walking Bird watching Lake Views Wild flowers Wildlife Bugs Rocky No shade Fee No dogs
Description
Waypoints (0)
Facilities
Contact
Getting There

Please note: You need a National Park Pass (7 day pass, Annual Mount Rainier Pass, America the Beatiful pass) to get into Mount Rainier National Park and do this trail. You may purchase it at the entrance or online (just be sure to print it out and bring it with you!) The beginning of the trail started at the ranger station of the sunrise visitor center with grassy meadows full of wildflowers. Towards the end of the trail the landscape was mainly rocks with incredible views of Rainer and surrounding mountains. It is cool being able to experience different landscapes throughout the hike.

A National Parks Pass is required to enter the park

Mount Rainier National Park White River Wilderness Information Center 70004 Highway 410 East Enumclaw, WA 98022 Tel: 360) 569-6670

From Puyallup, east 52 miles on Highway 410 to Sunrise Road in Mount Rainier National Park. Turn right and drive 15 miles to the trailhead at Sunrise Visitor Center.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (943)
Photos (2160)
Recordings (582)
Completed (2591)
monica rodriguez
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 22, 2020
Scenic drivingGreat!

This hike has 5 stars for a reason! Views the whole way. Mt Rainier was so beautiful at the beginning of the hike. We also saw a black fox cross our path! That was SO cool! lots of gold/ yellow and still some wildflowers right now. It does start to get windy near Frozen Lake. it was getting late so we didn't complete the trail, since I didn't want to hike back in the dark with a child. It wasn't difficult. I'd definitely say it's worth the hike!! We got some beautiful pictures and memories.

Katie W
HikingGreat!Rocky

We went on Friday 9/19 around 9 to avoid the rain that was coming and we were the only ones on the trail the way up and got to enjoy the watch tower on our own for a solid half hour. Passed a handful of groups about a quarter of the way down but not tons of people. Very rocky at parts but not a hard trail by any means. It did get windy and cold!!

Susan Saranchuk
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 21, 2020
HikingGreat!

Beautiful terrain, amazing views. Try to get there early. A lot of people on this trail.

Taeshon Greene
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 20, 2020
HikingGreat!

Definitely more challenging but worth the hike! Pacing is everything!

Victoria Forguson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 19, 2020
HikingGreat!

Very well maintained, friendly rangers, busy trail

Bridget Fontenot
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 16, 2020
HikingNo shadeRocky

Did this hike about a month ago... I’m pretty out of shape and I honestly didn’t think I was going to be able to complete this trail, but to my surprise I did it! It wasn’t as hard as I expected it to be... it was a little rough and strenuous at some points, but the views made it worth it and were enough motivation to keep going! So far, this has been my favorite hike I’ve ever been on. It was very cloudy once we got to the fire lookout so unfortunately, we didn’t get much of a view from there but we had amazing views the whole way up! One tip I will provide is WEAR SUNSCREEN! There is hardly any shade throughout the entire trail so you’re directly exposed to the sun most of the time. I had sunscreen on my arms and face but started getting hot during the hike so I took my shirt off and hiked in a sports bra most of the way and forgot to put sunscreen on my shoulders & chest and then went home with a terrible sunburn and left me miserable for almost a week after.

Isabel Abeln
Hiking

Expansive trail that’s a slow incline. Pretty east and a variety of views. Was smoky so I couldn’t see the view at the ranger station. Super excited to go back and check it out when it’s more clear

Lyle Heimbigner
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 15, 2020
HikingFeeGreat!No shadeRocky

A bit smoky but still enough visibility to be amazing even with Rainier hiding in the clouds. Half mile near the top is really exposed to the wind so dress accordingly. Had the mountain been out, would have done Burrough's too. A good variety of wildlife along the way.

Chris Ace
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 10, 2020
Hiking

Sept 10 2020 - what a view! Late afternoon hike. I had the fire lookout to myself for an hour, and only a small group joined me for sunset. Clear skies made for a nice orange view of the surroundings, and Mt Rainier cleared up as well. Very doable hike - the final climb to the lookout is gradual but the ongoing views make it easy to forget about the work being put in. Must have a flashlight or head torch for the way back after sunset, but it was easy to do in the dark (I did this one solo). Well maintained path.

View Chris's Recording
Alexa Hosking
Bird WatchingGreat!No shadeRocky

Trail is in excellent condition! It’s a lovely hike but watch out for the wind. Bring sunscreen and something to protect you from windburn. We couldn’t see all the way out, due to the wildfires. Views are amazing the entire time.

Addi Hollinshead
Stevie Farmer
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 9, 2020
Hiking

What an incredible trail! Love how expansive it is. Saw a group of 15 mountain goats which was a plus. We had incredible visibility, almost no clouds, BUT there was so much wind. My dad did not feel comfortable turning the corner and doing that final stretch and I cannot blame him. I could barely stand on the lookout tower with all the wind, but incredible 360 views from there. I would have traded a little visibility for less wind, but what an experience.

Brittany Popa
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 8, 2020
HikingFeeGreat!No shadeRocky

9.7.20 Labor Day Monday BEAUTIFUL!! Arrived at 8am and parking lot was about half full. We could see awesome views of Rainier and her glaciers the whole way and there were many other lookout spots to see the cascades and other mountains in the distance. It was a super clear day and the views at the end were incredible, we could see so far! It took us around 3 hours out and back plus some time at the lookout. Definitely got more crowded as we were heading back. It’s very open, with no tree coverage so wear sunscreen!

L. Richmond
HikingGreat!

Epic and easy! Incredibly beautiful views and the fire lookout is pretty quintessential PNW. Saw lots of mountain goats! Several newbs in the meadows, sadly.

Shay Mur
Yellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 7, 2020
HikingFeeNo shadeRocky

Don’t. Bring. Your. Dogs. I saw 4 today. I love dogs but respect the wildlife and the rules. Super annoying.

Jamie Ford
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 7, 2020
HikingGreat!

A great hike to hit EARLY, the parking lot gets crowded with sunrise watchers. We got there at around 8am and there were plenty of spots available in the visitor center lot. Trail is good but gets crowded. For a little more secluded route take the Shadow Lake trail to and/or from the lookout. This route adds an easy mile and offers gorgeous meadow views.

Rustam Rustam Khashimkhodjaev
View Rustam's Recording
L A
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 7, 2020
HikingGreat!

Hiked this trail on Saturday. We began hiking around 7:45 AM, able to get a parking spot and the foot traffic was light. On our way back there were a ton of people, so many that the hike wouldn't have been enjoyable at all had we been going the other direction. Not sure why the park has designated this trail as strenuous, it is easy to moderate depending on your fitness level. Views are gorgeous and we saw both mountain goats and a couple of bears in the valley below.