Mount Fremont Lookout Trail

Mount Fremont Lookout Trail is a 5.6 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Ashford, Washington that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from June until September.

Distance: 5.6 miles Elevation Gain: 1,145 feet Route Type: Out & Back

The beginning of the trail started at the ranger station of the sunrise visitor center with grassy meadows full of wildflowers. Towards the end of the trail the landscape was mainly rocks with incredible views of Rainer and surrounding mountains. It is cool being able to experience different landscapes throughout the hike.

Wow! This hike leaves you breathless every step you take. We arrived at the trailhead at 6:30am and it was worth it! We saw the sunrise and were able to enjoy the quiet and stillness of morning without the crowds. The incline may be hard for others but there are plenty of places to stop and enjoy the view. The last mile or two to the top of the most difficult with narrow walk path and steep drops on the left side. Be very careful going through that area because one slip of your foot could be dangerous. The views at the top are like no other, and definitely worth the effort to get there!

Great view of the mountain rainier. Days with few cloud is the best choice for the view. But it can be sunny and hot as there is no shade.

The whole hike is one amazing view.

Amazing hike! It was roughly 6 miles and it took us 3 hours. The trail is well kept and very well marked. I do suggest you go early because the parking lot was packed by the time we got back around 1pm and they were limiting the amount of cars entering the park at that time. The trail had amazing Mt Rainier views the whole time! Highly suggest.

Most breathtaking place ive ever been, there are views for days there- definitely recommend going on a cooler day

Beautiful hike! The weather was amazing and that made it even better! No mosquitoes! Saw some deer and chipmunks. The wildflowers are beautiful too.

I hiked this trail on Sunday August 25th and it was absolutely beautiful! The beginning of the trail started at the ranger station of the sunrise visitor center with grassy meadows full of wildflowers. Towards the end of the trail the landscape was mainly rocks with incredible views of Rainer and surrounding mountains. It was cool being able to experience different landscapes throughout the hike. This hike really checks all the boxes-360 degree views, an alpine lake, wildlife(we saw marmots & chipmunks but heard others say they saw mountain goats), (wildflowers if you’re catching it at the right time), a lookout tower at the end with stunning views, and a medium level of activity & length. I felt it wasn’t as crowded as many other hikes I had been on in Mt Rainer national park which was a plus as well. You could see the lookout tower about a mile before you reached it & it looked ominous sitting high above the clouds. I have done quite a few hikes in this region and I have to say this one took the prize for me!

Went early on a (Wednesday) blue sky day and had stunning, breathtaking views! We saw very few people going up and a few more going down. We had the lookout tower to ourselves and saw mountain goats, a marmot and some ground squirrel. The parking lot was packed when we returned. This trail is very exposed so I recommend sunscreen and plenty of water. Highly recommend!

Awesome hike! Trail is as described. Beautiful views. We got to sunrise at about 7am and it was so worth it because by the time we got down it was PACKED! Had a good amount of time at the lookout alone before some other hikers stopped by. Some cloud cover blew in, but it was breathtaking before that, and still amazing with low visibility. Highly recommend!

Great views. Pretty crowded trail.

Lovely hike once the cloud cover pushed out.

Definitely a well maintained trail. Heavy traffic in my opinion, and rightfully so. The tower is a neat feature, and the views are amazing. I only got a couple glimpses as the mountain was creating clouds as we walked. But will definitely be back again.

Left at noon 70 degrees and enjoyed this hike. Aside keeping up with my teenager a really fun and beautiful hike. Wildflowers, no bugs, and a Ranger at the lookout to show what they do. Highly recommend.

My favorite trail

Went out pretty late. Like many posts, yes there are many humans. But it won’t impede you avail tu to go at any speed. Just enjoy the view. The trail is well maintained.

Easy trail, more of a walk than a hike. Shouldn’t take more than 1 hour 45 or 2 hours with stops.

My whole family loved this hike. We started early around 8:30 am and finished around 11:30, when it was getting hot. Keep going. Getting to the look out was definitely worth it.

Great view of Mt. Rainier. Other direction from the lookout provides some great views as well if it’s clear. The hike itself is nothing spectacular but great views of the mountain the whole way up. Easy to combine with the Burroughs as well on the way back.

This is one of my all time favorite hike. Moderate hike with the beautiful view of mount Rainer and snow lake. Started at 6 am and make it up there around 7:10am. If you go here make sure go early this is very popular hike so it gets super busy. Bring a lot of water and snacks so you can enjoy the food with view. Trail is very well maintained.

Absolutely gorgeous through and through. We got there early this morning to catch the sunrise at the top. Was already extremely busy by the time we got back down at 9 am. It gets rocky up at the top in the last stretch but nothing unstable, very well maintained trail.

Took a solo trek out here. Well paved roads I took my Elantra. In awe this entire trail!! Paths are very well labeled and taken care of. Rocks make up the trail towards the top near the lookout. A herd of goats at the top down the basin. Got to the main parking lot at noon and no spots available so had to park along the side of the road. Many people on the trails don’t expect to be alone for more than a few minutes at a time as you’re passing! Maybe bring a light jacket for the top it’s chilly. Beautiful wonderland. Purple, pink, blue and white wildflowers everywhere! The top of rainier was in the clouds but in my opinion didn’t deter from the view made it just as mystical and majestic. Will definitely be back.