Mount Ellinor via Upper Trailhead is a 2.8 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Lilliwaup, Washington that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This heavily trafficked trail to Mount Elinor is considered moderate to difficult as it has a steep and steady incline the entire way up.

51 minutes ago

Amazing views all around, you could see Mt. Olympus, Rainer, Adams and St. Helens! I'll definitely be going back. Bring trekking poles if you have weak knees.

I have hiked this Mt a couple times this summer and love it! it's a good workout for sure and should probably be rated hard.
There is the seasons first snow on the ground once you get out the trees and start climbing the rocks. also it was a windy rainy day up there once you got out of the trees.

Great hike! This trail gets extremely busy. If you want to enjoy the views and hike, leave early. We have done this trail twice.
The first was 9/29/18 with my husband and 3 year old. We started around 930am. We reached the summit around 12, and were back to the parking lot around 2pm. The summit was super crowded but enjoyable. No snow to be found.
Our second outing was 10/6/18. We left the parking lot at 830 with only 4 cars in the lot. This was an adults only trek this time. We hit snow at the start of the boulders. Trail was extremely slippery but easy to follow. Wear appropriate footwear and take poles. Summit was beautiful and quiet without the crowd. Descent was sloppy with melt but manageable. We were back to the overflowing lot by 1pm with a slow and steady pace.
The only issue we ran into on descent was all the unleashed dogs! We had our Vizsla along leashed and had to constantly fend off unleashed dogs that were left to wander on their own and shove past people on the narrow trail. If you take your pup please be considerate of other hikers and dogs. Not all dogs wish to meet yours.

Great hike! Switch backs for a good bit in the beginning then lots of climbing over rocks. Be sure to wear good shoes with ankle support. Great views of lake Cushman at the top and on a clear day you can see Rainier. I brought my pup along with me. Be sure to keep them on leashes, I encountered some people who let their dogs run without leashes who came up and startled us (my dog is dog aggressive and gets very nervous around unfamiliar dogs) But luckily he did alright. Just keep in mind, even if your dog is great with other dogs that’s not the case for everyone.

Gorgeous hike, went with our 7 & 9 year old and almost made it to the top. The clouds/mist/cold near the top caused us to turn back. If not for the kiddos we definitely would have continued. The switchbacks were not difficult, neither was the boulder field-for adults, challenging though! Our kids had a hard time especially because we were hiking in the clouds which meant lots of misting. The rocks were wet and slippery and made hiking with kiddos difficult, even seasoned kid hikers! Without kids I am sure it’s amazing and much less care free!:) Will definitely be returning!

Started at the upper trailhead on Friday at 1pm. There were a decent amount of cars but nothing crazy. The first 30 minutes of the hike were never ending switchbacks that burned my calves like crazy. Stopped every couple of seconds to question my life. I think the next 20 minutes or so switched to climbing through rocks which was a nice change but at this point you’re still questioning life. On the bright side you’ve made it through the clearing and you’ve got a nice view of Mt Rainier on a good day. The last bit involves hiking a narrow trail along the mountain and just when you think you’ve reached the top you gotta keep going. But it’s a short ways by that point and the views are definitely worth it. Definitely gets chillier up there so a sweater is a smart idea. Saw a mama goat and her baby goat going up near the switchbacks and saw them again going down. Also got real close to a goat up at the peak and we had a mini photoshoot and he didn’t seem to mind at all.

The trip up took me about 1hr 20mins but it seems people average a little more than that (my app has it logged at a little over 2 miles going up). The trip down took me 45mins but I jogged through the switchbacks. Also hiking sticks would probably be useful going down as it is pretty steep up near the top. Views on a clear day are super worth it though!

Amazing hike. very hard but very rewarding. I am very out of shape(6'2 275lbs), and managed to struggle to the top.

Really enjoyed this hike definitely feels like your on the stairmaster for most of the hike but totally worth the view. We saw 3 goats on our adventure and a few chipmunks.

This trail is absolutely NOT moderate or anything close. It is very difficult. The views are awesome and the trail is well maintained. The mislabeling makes this hike way less fun as it’s far more difficult than expected.
It is only uphill—only a few parts that are a couple yards long are flat. The end gets particularly hard. The view is cool but I don’t know how worth it is especially if you’re looking for a moderate hike.

Hiked this trail earlier this week. As many other have stated this trail started out in an uphill and never ended until you reached the top. We saw one goat and it climbed to the highest point on the summit. There was a lot of smoke from the Maple Fire so we didn’t have the spectacular views that you would normally have on this trail. Because of that I will be doing this trail again when I know it will be a clear day.

Enjoyable trail. LOTS of stairs and pretty much is a constant uphill hike. Big Boulder field that needs to be crossed but the trail management has organized steps out of the smaller boulders. Above the treeline there is a lot of loose gravel. When you're nearly to the top it gets pretty steep. At that point there are a couple of spots where you may need to use your hands to pull yourself up to the next step. The flowers at the top were beautiful, the squirrels were friendly and very entertaining and the mountain goats up there have no fear of humans. One mama and her baby walked right through a crowd of hikers that were gathered at the summit. Last of all, the view is spectacular!

Hike was a challenge

Moderate is not an accurate rating for this hike. It is tough. Steep from the start of the trial all the way up. Trail is rocky towards the top - definitely need good shoes for this one and recommend poles because coming down is steep and tricky. All that being said, the hike was fun and challenging and beautiful. Great views even though the hike up was foggy, it cleared up at the top. Keep your eye out for mountain goats :)

Busy, busy! Popular trail, but it’s a great one. If you have knee issues I’d advise bringing your trekking poles for the way down. Those big steps down are tough on the knees. We went on a Saturday, we’ve been during the work week and it’s definitely quieter.

Beautiful views at the top are a huge payoff from the steep climb up! On 7/6 there was small section of snow little more than half way through but clear after and at the top. Definitely worth hiking to see the views, mountain goats, and screaming marmots :)

Awesome hike! Tough getting to the top, as we had to trek through some snow and fog, but the view and seeing 20+ mountain goats that came within 6ft of us at the top was so worth it. Definitely going again on a sunny day, as I’m sure the view will be even better. Make sure you pack a lot of water and some food to eat at the top! Be safe people!

Still a lot of snow at the top. Pretty fun sliding down on your bottom on the way back though! Got the last parking spot at 10 and saw a lot of people on the trail. Towards the end of the hike the snow started smelting making it a pretty wet hike.

We got to the upper parking lot around 0830 and it was already filling up. That being said, it was nice to have a few people go up before us because there were plenty of footholds in the remaining snow on the summer trail. If you have them, bring crampons and poles, but we made it ok without both. The trail is plenty steep, but definitely worth the work. Also bring waterproof pants for sliding down in the snow. Overall, this was a really fun hike with a gorgeous view even if it smells like farts at the top.

6/16/18: Husband and I hiked up carrying our 4 mth old and it was very beautiful. Became very crowded around 11am but had to turn around half way through when too much snow made it difficult with the baby.

Did this hike on 6/2.... Worth every up hill step. Accidently came face to face with a mountain goat, but he carried on.
a lot of snow and mud on the upper part of the trail so we couldn't reach the top, but came very close! breath taking views.

did this one yesterday. not sure why it is only rated as moderate, it was hard. very steep uphill climb almost all of the way. doable, but a good workout for sure. the views are amazing. lots of snow on the 2nd half of the trail. there is apparently a summer and winter trail, but the summer trail has so much snow that you couldn't tell which way it went. we took the route everyone else was taking, which must be the winter one. it takes you to the side of the mountain where you can slide down it. I didn't have the right gear with me to climb that part, so I didn't attempt it as I was already falling through the snow in some places.

Though it IS a 'calve and thigh burner' this hike is still one of the easiest 5-6,000 footers around. Tough, short and sweet... more bang for your buck with a spectacular grandstand-view at the top which is most definitely worth a good hour pondering before heading back. As well as all the friendly people you'll encounter, you'll likely see the mountain goats. Give them a wide berth but enjoy their acrobatics.

Monday, October 09, 2017

Beautiful 360° views from the top! We did this hike on a beautiful sunny 65° day on Oct 4, 2017. It took about 4 hours round trip but we stayed on the top for about an hour. Such beautiful views. The dirt road to the trailhead has many pot holes. We were in a van and we were on the dirt road for about 25 minutes each way.

Saturday, September 30, 2017

This was a tough hike, especially with the steep incline. It took me a mile just to acclimate to the altitude before I could get my breathing under control (but that's just me). It was exhausting because it felt like I was doing a lot of lunges for awhile. Steep climb up and a steep climb down. I wish I would had brought my hiking sticks because they would had definitely helped with the decent. I have weak ankles, so make sure you have the support you need because your foot can go in any which direction. We made it the top in time for the clouds to roll and and a little bit of snow to start falling. Bring a sweater and gloves because it was super breezy and cold!!

Tuesday, September 26, 2017

This hike was tough... straight up, straight down, steep incline both ways. Bring your shoes with the best ankle support, because the trail is rugged.

Monday, September 18, 2017

Great Views!!!

Saturday, September 16, 2017

Another Beautiful hike, that I definitely recommend ❤️

Thursday, August 31, 2017

Steady climb, views at the summit are worth the leg burn!

Sunday, August 27, 2017

Beautiful forest and views, lots of people, lots of dogs not on leashes, road up is narrow, bumpy dirt, no guardrails, straight drop off on the side so maybe not ideal for people who are bothered by that kind of stuff like me.

Wednesday, August 23, 2017