Mount Ellinor via Upper Trailhead

Mount Ellinor via Upper Trailhead is a 2.8 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Lilliwaup, Washington that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This heavily trafficked trail to Mount Elinor is considered moderate to difficult as it has a steep and steady incline the entire way up.

Moderate is not an accurate rating for this hike. It is tough. Steep from the start of the trial all the way up. Trail is rocky towards the top - definitely need good shoes for this one and recommend poles because coming down is steep and tricky. All that being said, the hike was fun and challenging and beautiful. Great views even though the hike up was foggy, it cleared up at the top. Keep your eye out for mountain goats :)

Busy, busy! Popular trail, but it’s a great one. If you have knee issues I’d advise bringing your trekking poles for the way down. Those big steps down are tough on the knees. We went on a Saturday, we’ve been during the work week and it’s definitely quieter.

Beautiful views at the top are a huge payoff from the steep climb up! On 7/6 there was small section of snow little more than half way through but clear after and at the top. Definitely worth hiking to see the views, mountain goats, and screaming marmots :)

Awesome hike! Tough getting to the top, as we had to trek through some snow and fog, but the view and seeing 20+ mountain goats that came within 6ft of us at the top was so worth it. Definitely going again on a sunny day, as I’m sure the view will be even better. Make sure you pack a lot of water and some food to eat at the top! Be safe people!

Still a lot of snow at the top. Pretty fun sliding down on your bottom on the way back though! Got the last parking spot at 10 and saw a lot of people on the trail. Towards the end of the hike the snow started smelting making it a pretty wet hike.

We got to the upper parking lot around 0830 and it was already filling up. That being said, it was nice to have a few people go up before us because there were plenty of footholds in the remaining snow on the summer trail. If you have them, bring crampons and poles, but we made it ok without both. The trail is plenty steep, but definitely worth the work. Also bring waterproof pants for sliding down in the snow. Overall, this was a really fun hike with a gorgeous view even if it smells like farts at the top.

6/16/18: Husband and I hiked up carrying our 4 mth old and it was very beautiful. Became very crowded around 11am but had to turn around half way through when too much snow made it difficult with the baby.

Did this hike on 6/2.... Worth every up hill step. Accidently came face to face with a mountain goat, but he carried on.
a lot of snow and mud on the upper part of the trail so we couldn't reach the top, but came very close! breath taking views.

did this one yesterday. not sure why it is only rated as moderate, it was hard. very steep uphill climb almost all of the way. doable, but a good workout for sure. the views are amazing. lots of snow on the 2nd half of the trail. there is apparently a summer and winter trail, but the summer trail has so much snow that you couldn't tell which way it went. we took the route everyone else was taking, which must be the winter one. it takes you to the side of the mountain where you can slide down it. I didn't have the right gear with me to climb that part, so I didn't attempt it as I was already falling through the snow in some places.

Though it IS a 'calve and thigh burner' this hike is still one of the easiest 5-6,000 footers around. Tough, short and sweet... more bang for your buck with a spectacular grandstand-view at the top which is most definitely worth a good hour pondering before heading back. As well as all the friendly people you'll encounter, you'll likely see the mountain goats. Give them a wide berth but enjoy their acrobatics.

Beautiful 360° views from the top! We did this hike on a beautiful sunny 65° day on Oct 4, 2017. It took about 4 hours round trip but we stayed on the top for about an hour. Such beautiful views. The dirt road to the trailhead has many pot holes. We were in a van and we were on the dirt road for about 25 minutes each way.

This was a tough hike, especially with the steep incline. It took me a mile just to acclimate to the altitude before I could get my breathing under control (but that's just me). It was exhausting because it felt like I was doing a lot of lunges for awhile. Steep climb up and a steep climb down. I wish I would had brought my hiking sticks because they would had definitely helped with the decent. I have weak ankles, so make sure you have the support you need because your foot can go in any which direction. We made it the top in time for the clouds to roll and and a little bit of snow to start falling. Bring a sweater and gloves because it was super breezy and cold!!

This hike was tough... straight up, straight down, steep incline both ways. Bring your shoes with the best ankle support, because the trail is rugged.

Great Views!!!

Another Beautiful hike, that I definitely recommend ❤️

Steady climb, views at the summit are worth the leg burn!

Beautiful forest and views, lots of people, lots of dogs not on leashes, road up is narrow, bumpy dirt, no guardrails, straight drop off on the side so maybe not ideal for people who are bothered by that kind of stuff like me.

well maintained trail. goats are not shy but won't bother you. we hiked this to watch the eclipse and it was really fun. watch out for little squirrels they will climb in your trail mix bag.

definitely stop at Kelsey's All Natural on the way to or from your hike! They have burgers, breakfast and ice cream all homemade and absolutely amazing. they let you kick back and relax after your adventuring and the food hits the spot! also have a drive thru if that's more your speed.

Friday, July 14, 2017

7/12/17 We took the summer route. Still snow in places, enough to glissade back down. Mountain goats with a baby were out and about. We made it to the peak without much trouble.

Monday, January 16, 2017