Mount Ellinor Trail

Mount Ellinor Trail is a 5.5 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Lilliwaup, Washington that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

From Hoodsport, east 9 miles on Hoodsport Road to Forest Service Road 24. Turn right and drive 1.5 miles to Forest Service Road 2419. Turn left and drive 6 miles to Forest Service Road 2419-014. Turn left and drive 1 mile to the trailhead at the end of the road.

Great trail! Still a fair amount of snow and I only saw two goats. Definitely bring a stick or hiking poles and shoes with good grip. The road was not paved and I was glad to have a rental car with 30 minutes of driving on gravel. Sliding down the snow was fun and I recommend gloves and an ice axe if you plan to try this.

This hike was brutal, but it was worth it. I went up from the lower trail head which added a couple miles or so I believe. Make sure you bring proper hiking shoes because I came back with blisters. The parts with snow can be tricky but the way down someone gave me a garbage bag to use as a sled so I got to slide back down instead of stumbling through all the snow for half an hour. I would recommend bringing one for yourself along with an extra pair of socks and pants although I didn't wind up using mine because it was 80 degrees out. Overall it was an entirely fulfilling trip

Amazing hike with stunning views.
Got the the trail at noon, and good thing too because the clouds lingering around the summit cleared up by the time we got there. We started at the lower trail head, which offered a beautiful and slightly uphill treck through lush forests. There are breaks in the trees that offer great views of Rainier in the distance in a good weather day.
There were a couple muddy and slippery spots right as snow started to appear on the trail.
There were two snow fields that were a bit challenging, even with good hiking boots and hiking poles. Not sure if crampons would've been helpful given that the snow was very soft and slushy. It wasn't too hard, but definitely a challenge finding footing and not sliding down the mountain.
Goats were all over the top of the mountain, and stayed a safe distance away. Several momma goats with their babies.
Last 30 to 45mins were tough and rocky, but no snow at the top. Lots of wildflowers and chipmunks.
Going down was almost harder in some ways than going up, at least from the summit to down past the snow fields. We chose to try and walk/slide on our feet, using our hiking poles to steady ourselves and grip the snow, through the large snow field. But there was a decent "slide" where you could tell many had slid down on their butts. Not too dangerous to do this, but we tried to stay up right as much as possible.
Wonderful, and exhausting hike. For not as experienced hikers I would definitely recommend parking at the upper trail head, as the extra 1.9 miles downhill to the lower trail head after the hike all the way up was extra tiring and made us grumpy.

Favorite hike so far. Short but challenging. Excellent view from the top on a clear day. Glissading down the mountain on May 27 and (lighter snow with some rocks) on June 10th is the greatest way down a mountainside.

Such a beautiful hike,
Around 6-7 miles of road to the upper trailhead is loose gravel road with some small potholes but easily passable if you drive carefully.
I drove up to upper trailhead, totally snow-free,
Started around 9:30am, few cars in parking-lot. Trail is very well maintained until you get to the summer trail, place where snow starts. I took summer tail and got up to the the summit around 11:00am.
It was really foggy and very less visibility even though it Suppose to be partially cloudy according to weather forecast. Saw few groups turned around because of weather and they did not had proper gears. Snow was soft, easy to dig your feet, I had my crampons and poles with me which helped me a lot. Last half mile is totally snow free and and there is no snow on summit. It is one of the best hike I have ever done. Around 15-20 goats were at summit and was alone at summit for couple hours, Waited there for few hours for weather to clear and it did. Took me 1:45 min to descend through summer trail. Glissading is very risky because the snow is melting really fast but at places it's still thick, so was able to slide could of fields.
1. Northwest forest pass.
2. Hiking shoes, snow tractions " crampons" ,hiking pole, extra layer of clothing. Sunscreen highly recommended in sunny day. Do it during weekdays to beat the crowds.

Good luck and stay safe..!!!!

This was my first major hike and it definitely was challenging. We did this last August. While it was very difficult, it was well worth it for the views. Be prepared for the scramble and straight climb up the last leg of the hike. It took us about 4 hours round trip.

Awesome hike. Lots of goats!

Did this trail last summer. Want to do it again but waiting for snow to melt. This trail is tough, but worth it! View at the top is incredible when it's clear. Even saw several goats!

Awesome hike! Did it with no gears, but would recommend spikes or at least poles for the snow. Sled down most of the snow part. Stunning views on top. And many mountains goats to hang out with.

Great hike with breathtaking views- did this hike with our pup and he conquered it! Little 35lb mutt loves the snow! Definitely worth the climb !

Awesome hike, lots of goats!

as of 6/28/17 still plenty of snow on the trail as soon as you leave the tree line. saw lots of people in Nike's and no poles or anything. while they did make it they were not comfortable. wear boots, gators if you have them, and bring an ice ax or at least poles.

From hoodsport is very easy to get there even without GPS. The trail is very easy until you get to the snow, that's the real challenege. we got there a little late so we could not make it to the summit. Summer trail is highly recommended even though everybody is taking the other one. Bring poles, something to slide on, crampons, gloves...good shoes (this way you will enjoy it more).