Mount Ellinor Trail

Mount Ellinor Trail is a 5.3 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Lake Cushman, Washington that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

The first half of the hike through the woods is pretty tame with a gradual ascent - not too steep but not to easy. when you break out of the woods into the open it begins to get challengin. The rest of the way to the summit is very steep and technical rivaling if not surpassing Mailbox or Si in difficulty, lots of great views to the top from the tree line.

The hike itself isn't very long but the elevation gain makes it feel LONG. This hike was incredible if you don't mind a challenge, with stunning views almost the entire time. lots of mountain goats and chipmunks. bug spray and good hiking shoes will make it that much better!

Make sure you go on a nice day. Too tough a hike without the payoff. Thought the morning clouds would burn off, but only got worse. Could only see about 50 ft in front on me the whole time, no view fro the top or anywhere else. Only made it from the lower lot to the snow, still 6mi/2300ft RT. It is mid-July dang it, snow should be gone, clouds lifted! We'll be back!

It's a gorgeous, well maintained trail. the lower 2/3 of the trail starts with relatively easy but gradual elevation gain. Once you hit the upper trail, and especially the "Summer Trail", it turns into a quadriceps burner for sure. The summit is 100% worth the pain of getting there however.
One thing to be aware of: Lots of loose gravel on steep steps along the summer trail portion... watch your footing (especially if it's wet). I plan on hitting it again soon.

hiked April 21st 2018. superb climb. took an hour and forty five minutes to climb from the bottom of the avalanche chute. five minutes to get back down.

Great hike, definitely not difficult. There weren’t any mountain goats though so that was a bummer. Small snow chute near the top but no traction equipment required. Be careful on the way down though.

Great hike, such amazing views and saw some wildlife along the way

The views were spectacular! We took our daughter also Eleanor (spelled different) she’s almost 5 months old she did so good and loved it. Made for some great family photos.

great views.

It was hard but very worth it. Enjoyed very much.

Excellent day hike with nice elevation gain. We saw many mountain goats that seemed calm but we tried to keep our distance. The one area of snow pack left was fairly easy to traverse in trainers.

Incredible hike. We wanted a good weekday challenge and got one. Plenty of views and face-offs with the goats. The snow pack near the summit makes a good section of trail interesting, but up and down from the lower trailhead is still doable in under 3hrs. Recommended to begin at the lower parking.

Beautiful and well maintained trail. We started from the lower trailhead later in the day, but easily found a parking spot and the trail wasn’t too busy. We had to turn around at the snow (didn’t bring the necessary equipment), but could’ve probably pushed through it if we had really wanted to.

For all of you wondering if you can make it without spikes and poles, I did this today in shorts and sandals. Not very smart, but doable (please wear closed shoes at least).

1st Trip here was 6/23 but I'm sure it won't be my last as this is one of my new favorites. Start early if you want to avoid the crowds. Arrived and departed the Lower Trail around 6AM Saturday morning, only 2 other cars parked here at that time. Trail is in amazing condition, you can tell its both well traveled and well taken care of. Beautiful scenery all the way up, with the exception of the cloud layer. No sign of snow until about the split for the "Summer/Winter Routes". About 2.5 Miles in came to a good snow chute headed up the Mountain. Came equipped with Ice Axe, Crampons, and Microspikes but decided just to wear the spikes, as the snow was pretty slushy. It was slippery but not impossible. I also cheated by letting my 85Lb Lab help pull me up the slope. Once up the snow field there was still quite the distance to the summit but its well marked and very a stable path. Reached the summit around 8AM and had it to myself for about a half hour. Enjoyed view of Rainier, Adams, St Helens and Even Hood, before it disappeared in the clouds. Cloud layer was thick around 5500' so view of Lake Cushman or anything else, but the Olympics were well on Display. Also didn't get to see any Mountain Goats (Besides Hero the Yellow Lab) but you could see signs of them all over with fur hanging from all the trees. Passed many people on the way down and once back to the Lower TH was surprised to see upwards of 20-30 cars parked all along the road both up/down of TH.

We went from the lower trail head with our 1 yo lab pup. Not ample parking at the lower, but similar to other trails around, there doesn't seem to be any shortage alongside the road (we went Friday, so cannot speak to what weekend traffic is like). I can see why this is rated difficult - it was our first hike of the season, so chalk it a little bit up to being somewhat out of shape :) but it is a fairly steady climb, particularly as you get going. We saw two mountain goats from a little distance. We hit snow about 2 miles in. Packed, slushy, definitely stay on trail. Up in the chute it got a little dicey and slick. Can tell where people were glissading down - that is where we had to turn around. We had hiking shoes, but no gaiters or poles, and our pup likes to pull, so thought it would treacherous on the way back down. Can't wait to try it again later this summer. It was cloudy too - still beautiful, but not too heartbroken about not making it to summit in the clouds/fog. Was starting to clear on the way back down and could see beautiful view of Lake Cushman through the trees. Def recommend this one.

never BBC ral lk y done to much of this stuff really just jumping in head first. had as grest time although there was more snow than i anticipated and so was ill prepsred to make it to the top. i will try again though

READ IF YOU HAVE NEVER TRIED THIS ONE. Never got the chance because we are in town visiting so I had no preknowledge of this trail. So some things to know that would have been helpful. 1) you need a wilderness pass but you only find out once you get there since it is only posted at the upper trail head. 2) the lower trail head is just a small sign and enough parking for maybe 3 cars. 3) The upper trail head is a 2+ mile hike, decent incline but half as long. Still it's on my bucket list next time I am in town

Snow covered path uo top still and there are some hole in the snow, use extream caution. path is very steep, I found out real quick this hike is not for a faint of heart. beautiful summer day with panoramic view on submit. Did glisssading down the snow a bit, wish we had ice axe for some extra fun. Had lunch there with the family of curious mountain goat. there are so many stairs! Knees legs and the bottom hurts afterwards but 100 well worth it.

Still alot if snow 25 percent of the trail fast getting down though slide a good part of the snow field. 3 Mt goats up top 1 circled around on us and came up from behind a teenager who was not aware. We warned him and the rest of the people.

Update as of 16 June 18 part of trail is still heavily snow covered was able to glisade safely down snow covered portions though.

I love this one. Also on the top of my list of favorites.
This one is the master of all stair climbers.

Still had a tough snow cover for the last 3/4 mile to the summit. I won’t say it’s impossible but its very dangerous and slippery. Equipment needed still to reach summit as of 6/6/18

awesome hike but was not able to make it to the top- the snow is super wet on the last 0.5 mile and pretty well straight up (steep elevation gain!). The snow kept giving out so we ended up aborting. Would recommend an axe and poles for sure.

Completed this summit Memorial Day weekend 2018. Road to the trailhead is FULL of potholes, but with careful driving I made it in a super low clearance vehicle. Road to the upper trailhead was clear of snow, so I took that route. The RT distance is 3.4ish rather than 5.3 miles from the upper trailhead. I took the winter route (I don't believe the summer route is available yet). I had a read a few reviews that mentioned snow, but I did not expect to be climbing straight up snowpack (my fault for not researching more). Being from the east US, the "trail" looked more like a ski slope to me. I was VERY ill-eqipped for the climb. I made it with microspikes and trekking poles, but there were some really sketchy areas that made me incredibly nervous. The snow melt is in full force right now, and I would bet the winter route will be impassable in just a few weeks. Lots of soft slippery snow and plenty of areas where the melt has carved out holes in the bottom of the snowpack. Worst part for me was that it was cloudy at the summit so I was not rewarded with views. Glissaded most of the way down, but even that is pretty nerve-wracking because there are several rocks in the middle of the trail at some points. If you want to complete the winter route in the spring, at MINIMUM I would bring full crampons, poles, and an ice axe. Even better, water proof pants, gloves, and gaiters for glissading down--I was soaked head to toe and freezing when I got back to the car.

All that said, I would LOVE to come back and give Ellinor a proper go with the right gear on a clear early spring day when the snow is more solid. The bits of vistas I peaked through the clouds looked stunning.

Total time for me was about 4 hours, with most of that being the ascent.

The gravel roads to the trailheads are full of potholes. Arrived at the Upper Trailhead around 930am, numerous cars already parked on the roads. There was a decent amount of snow/ice right before the upper trailhead parking lot so most people parked before it and walked to the trailhead. Bathroom was locked. Start of the trail was clear of snow. The switchbacks were a steady leg-burn. There were a few fallen trees on the trail. At the top of the switchbacks, there was snow. Most people took a break at the little stream at the bottom of the steep mountain climb. We didn't reach the summit. The climb was a little too challenging for our dog. Lots of people out climbing though, a few with dogs. Would recommend gear: ice cleats, poles, and/or an ice pick, waterproof pants and shoes. Did glissading on the way down but only halfway as there was a giant hole with rocks on the route of the glissading. Beautiful views from where we climbed. Didn't have any problems with bugs.

Very cool trail . The snow starts from 4500 feet . I’ll go there one more time in August for sure .

Hiked this yesterday. It was gorgeous but dangerous near the very top summit. The snow is extremely deep and half the trail is difficult to follow due to snow being everywhere. I should of worn snow boots then hiking boots. Spikes and poles would of been helpful. The views were mind boggling!!! The road going up to ellinor has many potholes and some snow and ice. I advise to park at big creek campground if you want a challenge physically and don’t want to put wear and tear on your vehicle.

great views. very snowy on april 18 2018. extra gear needed to reach the top due to weather that time.

We hiked this in September and it was incredible! I had no idea we would see so many peaks in the distance. The first part of the trail is woodsy, then much more exposed (it got a little hot!) and steep with some rocks to climb over at points. The view at the top was more than worth it. This is in my top five hikes for sure!

Found a pair of glasses on my way down from this hike today (3/15/18). anyone lose a pair? they are thin lenses and a pretty strong prescription!