Mount Ellinor Trail

Mount Ellinor Trail is a 5.5 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Lilliwaup, Washington that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

From Hoodsport, east 9 miles on Hoodsport Road to Forest Service Road 24. Turn right and drive 1.5 miles to Forest Service Road 2419. Turn left and drive 6 miles to Forest Service Road 2419-014. Turn left and drive 1 mile to the trailhead at the end of the road.

Awesome Olympic trail that I highly recommend. The road to the trail head takes a while, but no worries! Drive away, drive up early, and enjoy. Not quite as many people as normally on Mt Si, but still plenty of others on the trail daily. Due to height and snow amounts, summer hiking is advised.

Great hike. Did it two days ago. Made it to the peak without crampons. Make sure it's a warm day if you go without crampons, if the snow turns to ice it could get really sketchy.

2nd Attempt Went much better, Still was not able to Summit, weather rolled in as we hit the Chute about 2/3's way up, I had my trail buddy Bob the Dog and the Steely Eyed Mountain Man Noah James with me today, Lower Trail to Upper is in great shape very little snow remains, once you hit upper trail about 1/2 mile up the snow pac starts, it is beginning to melt but there is a decent amount of snow still we strapped on micro spikes and off we went. Upper trail was very wet as well. Once at the snow field It began to rain sleet and snow all at the same time. Noah looked up to see a handful of people Glissading down and was immediately hooked. We will be back in August when snow is gone Summit or BUST!

Good hike. Didn't make it to the summit, clouds and fog left us with zero visibility at about 5300 ft. Opted for safety to turn around. I'll be back next time I'm here!

Phenomenal trail. The views were amazing. Bring your crampons! They were a life saver. Also, bring a trash bag or wear waterproof pants. The slide down the avalanche chute is awesome but jeans don't provide any protection. There are 2 false summits, just keep pushing. It is more than worth the effort. I'll be doing this hike again.

you guys won't believe of it. I got to the top with my girlfriend WITHOUT any gears! However, if you want my advices, go get a ski pole, water proof pants, and a glove. you will need them if you want to summit. the view at the top is STUNNING!

We summited Mt. Ellinor on 5/26/17. At the lower trailhead there was no snow, but getting to the upper trailhead there still was a bit of snow. We had a Hyundai Elantra and didn’t feel we could drive to the upper trailhead, plus we planned on taking the longer route starting at the lower trailhead. I recommend it, as walking through the forest is gorgeous and not very strenuous.
The trail can be hard to find because it was snow covered at times. There are orange diamonds on the trees marking the path at the lower trailhead. We followed the log handrails to help navigate the switchbacks, but going straight up may get you there. The trail does have boot prints that we used from time to time to help us stay on track.
I suggest starting very early because coming down when it gets hotter turns the snow into slush and causes slick conditions to walk down if you choose not to glissade. Since we started at 6am (we camped near the trailhead to get an early start) we used crampons and brought helmets and ice axes with us, which we used when we started to head up the chute, since it was pretty icy. Going later you may not need crampons as the snow can ball up and cause it difficult to walk, though not a bad idea to bring them. But as I stated early the slush can make it difficult to come down in.
I highly suggest being careful approaching the summit, especially on the right of the glissade path, as it becomes a sheer drop and hard to see. I recommend approaching the summit on the left of the glissade path.
Highly recommend using an axe when glissading because it’s very steep and you can lose control easily. There is a middle section of the glissade path that approaches some rocks; I don’t recommend glissading that section as to avoid it.

Climbed to the summit without crampons and ice axe, but don't recommend going without them this time of year. A lot of snow up top.

Couldn't quite summit without proper equipment (Tons of snow!), but great workout and fantastic views. The slide down in the snow was also quite enjoyable. Will definitely be back!

Started from lower trailhead at 9 am and it was around 20 cars already there. Road to trailhead in good condition and passable for all vehicles, but sometimes it very bumpy. Please keep in mind you can park at lower trailhead and then go to upper trail head. We went up with lower trail and wend down from upper trailhead. Both trails in very good condition and very nice, I like forest that like that so much. Reached first slope very quickly and started ascent using out cramponse and ice axes. It might be passable without crampons, but would be not easy without axe/poles, so be prepared, we have seen couple people who turned back because had no gear, slopes are very steep. You need climb three steep slopes and you are on the summit. While we climbed up we have seen some people glissaded down, it was so fun, also seen one guy on snowboard going down from summit:) We reached the summit around 11:30, we did lots of stops to take rest and see views around us. On the tope we met couple from Portland, they gave us trash bags to make shorts to glissade down :) Unfortunatelly visibility was bad and we seen almost nothing, I am "lucky" with weahter again. We ate our lunch, took some photos (see alien photo) and glissaded down! it was very very fun, go for it, but please be careful! After descent we went to upper trail head where views imho more interesitng than lower trail. Once you reach upper trail head go towards restroom and you will see trail to lower trailhead. It took us about 20 mins to reach lower trailhead from upper trainhead.