Mount Ellinor Trail

Mount Ellinor Trail is a 5.5 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Lilliwaup, Washington that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until November.

From Hoodsport, east 9 miles on Hoodsport Road to Forest Service Road 24. Turn right and drive 1.5 miles to Forest Service Road 2419. Turn left and drive 6 miles to Forest Service Road 2419-014. Turn left and drive 1 mile to the trailhead at the end of the road.

A strenuous hike as we started from the upper trailhead but one of our favorites to date. We never saw the elusive mountain goats but had quite a few wildflower varieties to stare at the entire climb up.

I started from the lower trailhead and was happy I did since this hike is gorgeous the entire way up. I'm really happy I didn't miss the first portion of the trail. Mountain goats were at the top when we went, and the views from up there are incredible. Definitely a must do in my book.

Summited. It was beautiful, you can't beat those views, and I only got part of them seeing as the Olympics were being their typical way; rainy, cloud covered, cold. I loved the hike even though it was windy and chill at the top, and I suggest going, even if it might rain.

Great hike

It was pretty difficult since my husband and I haven't hiked in awhile, but it was SO rewarding! It took us six hours including breaks, so plan to leave early in the morning so you don't get caught in dusk on the hike down.

This trail was absolutely stunning. I'm very much used to a drier climate being from Utah, so it was a pleasant and refreshing change from the norm of desert landscapes. We went in mid-November, and it was a clear day for the most part, but clouds would periodically pass overhead, and it drizzled on us several times. But we never got soaked. However, the air itself was very wet, and even though it was in the low 50s, by the end of the hike it had chilled me through to the bone. So be sure to dress appropriately depending on the forecast. Also, we had a fairly difficult time locating the trail head, as this NP does not have a park entrance (that we could see) or any park rangers. You do need to pay a fee to park at the limited space lot, which we were at the TOP lot (mid-trail). There is also a lower lot about 1 or 2 miles down. So make sure you take a map in case you have trouble locating it. We never made it all the way to the top, as we wanted to beat the setting sun. But the higher up we got, the more incredible the views. We definitely plan to do this trail again someday, from the lower lot. We will also give ourselves more time, because I stopped at nearly every view point to take pictures lol. Incredible place for sure!

was great, aside from low visibility, rain and wind. just didn't get lucky with the weather but loved it anyway

Beautiful views the whole way up! Snowy peaks at the summit looks like a postcard. Def worth the hike!

Short on time, and started from the upper trailhead. Incline and switchbacks through the forest. Beautiful forest with rocks and needles on the floor. Broke through into rocks, stream, and beautiful views. Shale face with some steps before the peak. Hit snow after the shale for a final quarter mile or so to the summit. Incredible views of snowy peaks to the east, forest and lake to the south, and all of Olympic National Park to the west.

Did this on 12 October. Went with a friend and carried my 15 month old on my back in a frame carrier. Talk about a workout. I used trekking poles the entire way and am glad I had them. The trail was pretty difficult in my opinion. There wasn't a time that the trail became too difficult in terms of climbing or falling, it was just a long grueling, steep hike. It took about 2 hours to get to the summit! Again, I never felt at risk, it was just a tiring hike that was pretty physically demanding! Coming down wasn't bad at all, the only part I had any worries about was coming down through the rocks but there are rock steps everywhere, just some steps are taller than others! I do not plan to complete this hike anytime soon, and I especially don't want to carry an almost 40lb pack up there! My knees are still recovering! Give it a try, its worth it to do at least once.

Achy old legs. Be sure to rest before descent, you do not want shaky legs coming down. Need to do this one on a clear day.