Mount Dickerman Trail

Mount Dickerman Trail is a 9.5 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Darrington, Washington that features a river and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, bird watching, and snowshoeing and is best used from July until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 9.5 miles Elevation Gain: 3,923 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Directions from Verlot: Travel east along the Mt. Loop Hwy., 16.6 miles to the trailhead on the left (north) side of the highway.

icy

quick hike, took just under 3 hours to the summit and back to the parking lot. trail is in great shape except the last half mile is icy and snow covered. I'd recommend bringing microspikes.

icy

The first 2 miles have a ton of switchbacks, more than most hikes. The second half of the hike opens up a little and there are teaser views along the way. Right now there is compact snow and ice for the last 1.5 miles. I wore trail runners and was fine, but microspikes are recommended. The hike is incredibly rewarding. The views at the top are amazing. I got up early and ran/hiked in the dark. It made for an awesome sunrise.

icy

I suppose the hardest part about hiking is deciding which mountain I want to summit. As I scrolled through the recent trip reports on WTA.org, Silver Peak looked good. Then I found Bessemer Mountain, which also looked like a worthy adventure. Climbing up to Headlee Pass also crossed my mind. Then I remembered that I wanted to climb Mount Dickerman earlier in the year. After a few reads on the trip reports, I settled on Dickerman. The route to the trailhead was dry and easily navigated. Just a few frosted over spots on the Mountain Loop Highway but by mid-day, and the way the sun has been shining the last 24 hours, I was not worried. The parking lot was completely empty when I arrived. I geared up and headed to the trailhead. As I started my long assault to the summit, two more cars rolled in to the parking lot. The first half of the trail was well groomed with a moderate amount of rocks and tree roots. There were two blowdowns across the trail but were easily stepped over. After that, it was switchback after switchback after switchback. Normally, I don’t mind so many but these ones were not long trail in-between. As soon as I made my turn, I was approaching another one. Eventually, I broke out of the shady, dark forest and caught a glimpse of what appeared to be Vesper Peak and Big Four Mountain. I’m not all that great in my peak knowledge, so I may be wrong. I do know that Big Four Ice Caves can be seen from Mount Dickerman. More switchbacks carried me up towards the false summit. The trail to the false summit was extremely icy, slushy and muddy. It was nearly a creek bed with flowing water that I had to walk through. Luckily there was enough side trail I could walk on to avoid getting my feet completely soaked. If you’re going to do this mountain in the upcoming days, I would recommend water proof boots. After the ice came the snow. The trail had already been blazed by several other hikers so the trail wasn’t that bad. I slipped on my micro-spikes earlier on during my trek to the summit once I hit ice, and it made a world of a difference. Several other hikers on the trail did not spike up and they seemed fine. One couple had on a serious pair of mountaineering boots while others wore trail runners. I hiked around this hairpin turn with approximately .30 miles left to go and I caught a glimpse of this towering peak way in the distance. I said to myself, “There is no way that is the summit of Dickerman!” Well, sorry to say- it is. To see that summit block from the vantage point where I was standing at was really demotivating. My quads were burning, and I was really, really tired. It had been a long climb and I was about done. But I forged on. Those views, though. I’m telling you. If you give up before you reach the true summit, you are really missing out. Pictures and videos really do not do any of it justice. You have to see it with your own eyes. You can see every single mountain from Mt Baker to Three Fingers to Vesper to Sperry and Morningstar and Hall Peak..the list goes on and on. If you’ve never climbed Dickerman, and you want gorgeous views and a great hike that’ll challenge you and make you work for it, this one is it. Climb this one on a clear day and you won’t be disappointed.

icy

Trail starts with a lot of switchbacks that will make your legs burn! But the hike is a lot of fun and the views on top are incredible!

icy

Incredible day. Won’t lie, it’s a tough trek but it’s not very long before you get a perfect panorama.

icy

Glad I had waterproof hiking boots for this hike.

Dickerman made it to my top hikes in Washington! So many beautiful lookout spots in the summit. Took us 3 hours up and 2 hours down with no breaks except talking with other hikers. The snow was manageable - my brother did it with just Nikes just fine but it was pretty cold/windy at top. Definitely coming back in the spring/summer.