Mount Dickerman Trail

Mount Dickerman Trail is a 9.5 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Darrington, Washington that features a river and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, bird watching, and snowshoeing and is best used from July until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 9.5 miles Elevation Gain: 3,923 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Directions from Verlot: Travel east along the Mt. Loop Hwy., 16.6 miles to the trailhead on the left (north) side of the highway.

icy

Trail starts with a lot of switchbacks that will make your legs burn! But the hike is a lot of fun and the views on top are incredible!

icy

Incredible day. Won’t lie, it’s a tough trek but it’s not very long before you get a perfect panorama.

icy

Glad I had waterproof hiking boots for this hike.

Dickerman made it to my top hikes in Washington! So many beautiful lookout spots in the summit. Took us 3 hours up and 2 hours down with no breaks except talking with other hikers. The snow was manageable - my brother did it with just Nikes just fine but it was pretty cold/windy at top. Definitely coming back in the spring/summer.

Hiked on October 26 and the weather was great plenty of snow for the last mile and half and I used microspikes in the last mile .

Did it on 10-23-19. Hard work with endless switchbacks. 1.5-2' of snow up top. Took a long time to go the last .6 miles. 100% worth the work though!

Great hike, even with the fog! No sign of the bear folks have been talking about but I had the bear bell on the dog and made sure to make enough noise on the way up. It's a tough one from the beginning, lots of elevation with switchbacks for the first 2.5 miles or so and then straightens out. Started seeing traces of snow right around mile 3.5 and it just got heavier from there. By 4.5 miles the dog and I were in a winter wonderland! It was gorgeous and made up for the lack of view. Not crowded at all today, I started at 7:30 and was the first one in the parking lot. Need to come back again in the spring!

we hike on 9/29/19. hard hike. we got a few dusting of snow.

9/29. The summit was covered with snow, 2-3” Some parts were very slippery and the summit was windy and chilly but so beautiful to see the views.

The switchbacks in the forest started intensely and immediately. I stopped counting after the 51st one. There were quite a few downed trees hanging over the first mile of the trail. Eventually, I got past the forested switchbacks and into the alpine meadow. Lots of wild blueberries to be found. Other hikers reported seeing bears nearby, however, I never saw any. I did hear some loud crashing around in the gully below one section of the hike at this point. Up, up, up the mountain, and the spectacular views just kept coming! Whoa, wow, just amazing. The 360 degree views from the top were extraordinary and worth every drop of sweat on this grueling slog up old man mountain. Big 4, Gothic, Glacier Peak, Mt. Baker, Pilchuck, it was like looking down on the peaks in every direction. In addition to pheasant/grouse chicks running around and honking near the summit, one Woolley White Mountain Goat appears to have made a den for himself between the 1st and 2nd summits. This Hike was very challenging, But so worth it! Take lots of water. I was good with 3+ Liters.

Beautiful views from the top ! I hiked today (Labor Day) and it was surprisingly not crowded at all, maybe because I didn’t start until 1 pm but it was a nice surprise.

The switchbacks are relentless and seemingly never ending, but the views are absolutely amazing. I wished I had trekking poles for the way down, hard on the knees. Bring a lunch for the top, you'll want to sit and stay awhile. I have to say this is a contender for my favorite hike to date.