Mount Dickerman Trail

Mount Dickerman Trail is a 5.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Darrington, Washington that features a river and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking and walking and is best used from July until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Verlot: Travel east along the Mt. Loop Hwy., 16.6 miles to the trailhead on the left (north) side of the highway.

Make sure you take your bugspray with ya, few biting flies in the woods, tons of them up top.

Hiked today. My pedometer read 11.5 mikes roundtrip. It was one of the hardest hikes I've ever done and most satisfying. The views just kept getting better. Two bear sightings, tons of people and dogs. Some bugs but they weren't bad. Great views at the top. Lots of loose rocks on the trail. Overall one of my favorite hikes

First I will say that the mileage listed here (5.7 mi) is out to lunch. It was easily 8 miles, which is almost exactly what WTA lists it as.

Anywho, I arrived at the trailhead at 9:45, hoping against hope there'd be a spot. To my surprise there were several! At first I wasn't impressed. The first two miles go through forest switchbacks, and except for the places where the trail passes by or under some massive rock cliffs, I felt like I could just be at Mount Si. However, after about the two mile point, the trail opens out to a beautiful meadow covered in wildflowers and some truly spectacular views. The summit is spacious and the sights incredible. On the way down, I saw my first bear!

Gorgeous views and wild flowers made the climb well worth it!!

awesome views and the summit is attainable easily enough. the big challenge here seems to be the gain and fitness needed, I seemed to passing everyone. the trail is not technical though it is moderately steep with roots, loose rock, and huge rocky steps. overall easy trail to follow, just long and vigorous, is all. but don't give up till you've made it! took me 2:15 up and 1:30 back down, amazing views at the top, great intro to the mountain loop peaks!

One of my favorite hikes. So beautiful!

Great hike! There is snow up there, but only in patches and nothing that you need any gear for. Hiking boots recommended instead tennis shoes for the snow but it's still doable.

Beautiful hike the whole way. If you don't like switchbacks, look around you and soak in this forest of huge Doug fir, cedars and moss covered boulders. Imagine hiking up this steep mountainside without a trail... Later, there are just too many wildflowers (including glacier lilies). The views begin in the top third or so of the hike and are truly some of the best I've seen from the top. I usually spend 15 minutes on summits - this one, an hour and 15. Too much to look at.

This hike is a five star hike in my eyes for a few reasons. Ease of access, its a workout and it has incredible view on a sunny day and the hike has a balance of shade and exposure. Today we went up the hike and its all doable with hiking boots and confidence. Some chose to spike up but spiking up on the way down is the better choice of the two. I never did end up on my ass so it was a great day. There is snow about half way and then its mixed with the trail. There are two places where people get sidetracked. One is about half way where you basically walk along and through a creek where its actually flat. Just after that you have to take a sharp right back up into the trees rather then going straight. About five minutes after that the snow covers the trail and since some people got lost more people get lost. Try to keep to the right and look for markers, currently there is a ribbon in a tree. If you stay to the right you will start up the ridge line.

The key to this hike is starting slow and going steady the whole way. I reached the top in just over two hours and the back of the group was right about three hours.

Dickerman is tough, but the view from the peak is gorgeous, and would be sublime on a clear, blue-sky day. The initial switchbacks are tough, with constant elevation gain. Then things settle for a while, as the trail travels through alpine meadows and in places follows a light stream. The last part again is difficult with lots of elevation gain. This is not a 5.7 mile hike as is listed in All Trails. The literature from the Verlot Ranger Station says 8.4, but 2 separate GPS units had it right about 10 miles. Not sure where the "5.7" came from.
There was about 6" of snow at the peak, and the wind was blowing, so very cold. Probably won't be hike-able for much longer this season.
Your knees will definitely get a workout on your way down. But overall beautiful old-growth forest, meadows, and more avian wildlife than I see on many hikes (several I couldn't identify up near the peak, but also ravens and a large grouse). Looking forward to trying this hike again on a clear day in June.

Great hike but definitely *not* 5.7 miles round trip. More like 8.5. It's a tough hike but the view at top is outstanding. We were pretty wiped after this hike. Recommend poles.

Constant, pretty steep, switchbacks. Pretty trail but I gave three stars because I did not enjoy the switchbacks.