Mount Dickerman Trail

Mount Dickerman Trail is a 9.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Darrington, Washington that features a river and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and birding and is best used from July until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Verlot: Travel east along the Mt. Loop Hwy., 16.6 miles to the trailhead on the left (north) side of the highway.

This is a great trail with spectacular views at the top, unfortunately though, and apparently like several other trails on Mountain Loop Highway, trailhead security is poor. Had a great hike in the snow on Mount Dickerman Saturday Dec. 15, marred by discovering car had been broken into. Back window smashed, all bags and gear stolen from back storage area of car. Best guess is it happened around 3 p.m. I’ve heard about this happening at other trailheads on Mountain Loop Highway. The trails in the area are great, unfortunately safety at the trailheads is lacking.

Totally “socked-in” on Saturday December 8th. This hike is no joke! Killer on the knees. We only needed microspikes and poles starting around the 2.5 mile mark, however with the predicted snow this week, this would easily become a very difficult snow shoe. Avalanche danger is high here, so be sure to check that avy stats before you go or come prepared with adequate training.

Good hike, switchbacks get a little tiresome coming down. Once the trail opens up near the top, it becomes a winter wonderland! The summit was socked in, but I was able to get a glimpse of some nearby peaks through the clouds. Lots of people on the trail, so parts of the trail got a little slick. Most had snowshoes but were rarely used. I carried snowshoes and microspikes. Microspikes were wildly helpful but not absolutely necessary. It was a great morning!

Nice hike, but unfortunately weather wasn't great at the top and we had no view at all. Saw a lot of people carrying snowshoes on the trail but nobody needing to wear them. Definitely helpful to have microspikes the second half of the hike, but not necessary. I didn't put mine on until the way down to make it a little easier. A hike that I will have to do again when the sky is clear.

Almost all switchbacks. Loose rocks, needed my spikes up above as it was pretty icy on the trail snow. On the way down I stopped at a view point off the trail to tighten boots and strip a layer, I forgot my leather dog leash there when we left, it’s a good one if you care to have it. Got back way after dark, stumbling along the trail. The views when you finally get up there are terrific.

First off, the bear is still there, located in the area where the berries are most abundant, about 1 Mile from the top. He was so busy eating he wasn’t bothered by us at all, we saw him about 25’ off the trail, and one hiker was within 10’ of the bear because he wasn’t able to deter the bear so he went around it, he said the bear was more interested in eating berries and wasn’t at all aggressive and kept eating.

I gave it 4 stars because switchbacks suck, otherwise it made a great Fall hike once you got out from under the canopy of the trees, and away from those switchbacks. At the top it was socked in with clouds, it was windy and absolutely bone chilling. As we were headed back down it cleared up and the sun came out.

This is a challenging but wonderful hike. Our GPS Garmin watch listed it as about 10 mi round trip, so be prepared for more than 8.3 miles. There were tons of wild blueberries all along the top portion.

We had a few friends visiting out of town and brought them out camping for the weekend. We wanted to hike somewhere near our campsite which was right off mountain loop highway.

We knew we were doing a hard hike but it sure did kick out butt. The view is 100% worth it though. There are endless switchbacks so makes sure those leg muscles are ready to work.

There are huckleberries along the way and a few view points of the near mountains. Bring a lot of water and plenty of snacks to enjoy the hike.

Beautiful hike today. Trail is in great condition. No water sources along the trail so be sure to bring enough.

Hiked today (8/5), sunny and in the 70's. No snow.

We arrived at the trail head at 2pm and had no trouble finding a parking spot. We only saw a dozen people and had the trail to ourselves on the descent.

SO.. first off, the trail is actually 8.2 miles round trip (add it to the list of inaccurate distances in AT). I have to be honest, I hated this hike for the majority of it. The first 70% of it is switchback after rocky, rooty switchback until it opens up towards the final ascent. After that, it was more enjoyable and the views are, indeed, beautiful; 360° of surrounding peaks and enough room to enjoy a secluded snack at the top. We saw a few mountain goats in distance too! Then back to the unrelenting switchbacks...
All in all, I probably won't don't do this one again with so many other options in the National Forest with similiar, more attainable results.

Amazing hike, micro spikes not necessarily needed. You can miss the trail about a 1/3 of the way up as it was covered in snow (being first one in the trailhead) hard to find fresh tracks, but it's an easy find back to the trail. Unbelievable views from the top though.

Amazing view Hikes on Saturday 7/21/2018 not too hot bugs are friendly this is our second time .
We stay for lunch for almost two hours pictures and video, we slow Hikers 6 hrs RT ( plus two hrs stay for lunch) it’s worth it

The hike is hard, especially with the steepness and steadiness of the switchbacks, but much worth the view! We hiked in June and there was still snow on top, making it hard to reach the summit without proper gear of grapples and ice picks.

Always a challenge! July 15th, 2018. Started at 1pm. Back to the parking lot 9pm, spent a lot of time on the peak, absolutely stunning views, peaks, snow and green. One regret, forgot insect repellent! The trail is well maintained l. A little snow in the end felt good in hot humid day. Bring a lot of water, mosquito repellents. One note: it’s for sure longer than 5.5 Miles. My phone says over 11 Miles

July 8, 2018: Ah yes, bugs, snow, and VIEWS!!! The snow patches' well beaten paths are passable without spikes or poles; just be cautious of the water below the paths weakening the snow, not that you'll fall to your death or anything, it'd just be an inconvenience. One dead end path to note, but it was an easy remedy.
Other than that it's pretty straight forward. I would call it the lower end of a hard rating.
A clear day like today provides amazing views of Baker, Glacier, Shuksan, and even Rainier.

I hike this trail every year. Great views and wild flowers for probably the top 1/3 of the trail. Epic 360 views from the top!

Went up the winter route. Snow started at about the 4000' mark, the slog up the slush is worth the view. Nice clear day. Beware of holes up the creek bed, starting to open up.

This is from November! Now the road is closed. We hit snow about half way up and through on the spikes. My favorite time to hike Dickerman is in the Spring after the road has reopened and there is a still a winter route. You cant go wrong with this hike on a clear day.

Sunday, January 07, 2018

hiked Dickerman trail today.
the snow at the top is soft and deep.
started the hike really early this morning and had a blast plowing the trail.
snowshoes required and ice axe a must in some areas.
It was 4 of us who had the mountain to our selves.
the northwest provides !!

Monday, November 13, 2017

Fist half is snow free, second with 2 feet snow. This weekend trail was broken well, no snowshoe needed, but it may change at any day. Seen nothing on the summit since snow fall and clouds around. Choose good weather day to hike Dickerman.

Tuesday, October 24, 2017

Ive done this hike in summer and spring, but this was my first time hiking in the fall. It was so beautiful! The first three miles were clear, but there’s a lot of water on the trail. The last two miles there was a lot of snow. It started out patchy, but eventually got up to 3 feet deep. I recommend packing hiking poles and snowshoes, or micro spikes for the top. It was beautiful and we had the summit all to ourselves.

Sunday, September 17, 2017

My first real hike in a decade. I absolutely loved it. 4 1/2 up 2 1/2 down. The weather was fantastic. Make sure to bring water. I went through 3 1/2 liters.

Friday, September 08, 2017

unfortunately it was cloudy up top. it's a grind!

Saturday, August 05, 2017

Make sure you take your bugspray with ya, few biting flies in the woods, tons of them up top.

Sunday, July 30, 2017

Hiked today. My pedometer read 11.5 mikes roundtrip. It was one of the hardest hikes I've ever done and most satisfying. The views just kept getting better. Two bear sightings, tons of people and dogs. Some bugs but they weren't bad. Great views at the top. Lots of loose rocks on the trail. Overall one of my favorite hikes

Sunday, July 30, 2017

First I will say that the mileage listed here (5.7 mi) is out to lunch. It was easily 8 miles, which is almost exactly what WTA lists it as.

Anywho, I arrived at the trailhead at 9:45, hoping against hope there'd be a spot. To my surprise there were several! At first I wasn't impressed. The first two miles go through forest switchbacks, and except for the places where the trail passes by or under some massive rock cliffs, I felt like I could just be at Mount Si. However, after about the two mile point, the trail opens out to a beautiful meadow covered in wildflowers and some truly spectacular views. The summit is spacious and the sights incredible. On the way down, I saw my first bear!

Thursday, July 27, 2017

Gorgeous views and wild flowers made the climb well worth it!!

Wednesday, July 26, 2017

awesome views and the summit is attainable easily enough. the big challenge here seems to be the gain and fitness needed, I seemed to passing everyone. the trail is not technical though it is moderately steep with roots, loose rock, and huge rocky steps. overall easy trail to follow, just long and vigorous, is all. but don't give up till you've made it! took me 2:15 up and 1:30 back down, amazing views at the top, great intro to the mountain loop peaks!

Tuesday, July 25, 2017

One of my favorite hikes. So beautiful!

Sunday, July 16, 2017

Great hike! There is snow up there, but only in patches and nothing that you need any gear for. Hiking boots recommended instead tennis shoes for the snow but it's still doable.