Mount Dickerman Trail

Mount Dickerman Trail is a 5.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Darrington, Washington that features a river and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and birding and is best used from July until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Verlot: Travel east along the Mt. Loop Hwy., 16.6 miles to the trailhead on the left (north) side of the highway.

Went up the winter route. Snow started at about the 4000' mark, the slog up the slush is worth the view. Nice clear day. Beware of holes up the creek bed, starting to open up.

This is from November! Now the road is closed. We hit snow about half way up and through on the spikes. My favorite time to hike Dickerman is in the Spring after the road has reopened and there is a still a winter route. You cant go wrong with this hike on a clear day.

hiked Dickerman trail today.
the snow at the top is soft and deep.
started the hike really early this morning and had a blast plowing the trail.
snowshoes required and ice axe a must in some areas.
It was 4 of us who had the mountain to our selves.
the northwest provides !!

Fist half is snow free, second with 2 feet snow. This weekend trail was broken well, no snowshoe needed, but it may change at any day. Seen nothing on the summit since snow fall and clouds around. Choose good weather day to hike Dickerman.

Ive done this hike in summer and spring, but this was my first time hiking in the fall. It was so beautiful! The first three miles were clear, but there’s a lot of water on the trail. The last two miles there was a lot of snow. It started out patchy, but eventually got up to 3 feet deep. I recommend packing hiking poles and snowshoes, or micro spikes for the top. It was beautiful and we had the summit all to ourselves.

My first real hike in a decade. I absolutely loved it. 4 1/2 up 2 1/2 down. The weather was fantastic. Make sure to bring water. I went through 3 1/2 liters.

unfortunately it was cloudy up top. it's a grind!

Make sure you take your bugspray with ya, few biting flies in the woods, tons of them up top.

Hiked today. My pedometer read 11.5 mikes roundtrip. It was one of the hardest hikes I've ever done and most satisfying. The views just kept getting better. Two bear sightings, tons of people and dogs. Some bugs but they weren't bad. Great views at the top. Lots of loose rocks on the trail. Overall one of my favorite hikes

First I will say that the mileage listed here (5.7 mi) is out to lunch. It was easily 8 miles, which is almost exactly what WTA lists it as.

Anywho, I arrived at the trailhead at 9:45, hoping against hope there'd be a spot. To my surprise there were several! At first I wasn't impressed. The first two miles go through forest switchbacks, and except for the places where the trail passes by or under some massive rock cliffs, I felt like I could just be at Mount Si. However, after about the two mile point, the trail opens out to a beautiful meadow covered in wildflowers and some truly spectacular views. The summit is spacious and the sights incredible. On the way down, I saw my first bear!

Gorgeous views and wild flowers made the climb well worth it!!

awesome views and the summit is attainable easily enough. the big challenge here seems to be the gain and fitness needed, I seemed to passing everyone. the trail is not technical though it is moderately steep with roots, loose rock, and huge rocky steps. overall easy trail to follow, just long and vigorous, is all. but don't give up till you've made it! took me 2:15 up and 1:30 back down, amazing views at the top, great intro to the mountain loop peaks!

One of my favorite hikes. So beautiful!

Great hike! There is snow up there, but only in patches and nothing that you need any gear for. Hiking boots recommended instead tennis shoes for the snow but it's still doable.

Beautiful hike the whole way. If you don't like switchbacks, look around you and soak in this forest of huge Doug fir, cedars and moss covered boulders. Imagine hiking up this steep mountainside without a trail... Later, there are just too many wildflowers (including glacier lilies). The views begin in the top third or so of the hike and are truly some of the best I've seen from the top. I usually spend 15 minutes on summits - this one, an hour and 15. Too much to look at.

This hike is a five star hike in my eyes for a few reasons. Ease of access, its a workout and it has incredible view on a sunny day and the hike has a balance of shade and exposure. Today we went up the hike and its all doable with hiking boots and confidence. Some chose to spike up but spiking up on the way down is the better choice of the two. I never did end up on my ass so it was a great day. There is snow about half way and then its mixed with the trail. There are two places where people get sidetracked. One is about half way where you basically walk along and through a creek where its actually flat. Just after that you have to take a sharp right back up into the trees rather then going straight. About five minutes after that the snow covers the trail and since some people got lost more people get lost. Try to keep to the right and look for markers, currently there is a ribbon in a tree. If you stay to the right you will start up the ridge line.

The key to this hike is starting slow and going steady the whole way. I reached the top in just over two hours and the back of the group was right about three hours.

Monday, October 31, 2016

Dickerman is tough, but the view from the peak is gorgeous, and would be sublime on a clear, blue-sky day. The initial switchbacks are tough, with constant elevation gain. Then things settle for a while, as the trail travels through alpine meadows and in places follows a light stream. The last part again is difficult with lots of elevation gain. This is not a 5.7 mile hike as is listed in All Trails. The literature from the Verlot Ranger Station says 8.4, but 2 separate GPS units had it right about 10 miles. Not sure where the "5.7" came from.
There was about 6" of snow at the peak, and the wind was blowing, so very cold. Probably won't be hike-able for much longer this season.
Your knees will definitely get a workout on your way down. But overall beautiful old-growth forest, meadows, and more avian wildlife than I see on many hikes (several I couldn't identify up near the peak, but also ravens and a large grouse). Looking forward to trying this hike again on a clear day in June.

Saturday, October 29, 2016

Great hike but definitely *not* 5.7 miles round trip. More like 8.5. It's a tough hike but the view at top is outstanding. We were pretty wiped after this hike. Recommend poles.

Sunday, October 23, 2016

Constant, pretty steep, switchbacks. Pretty trail but I gave three stars because I did not enjoy the switchbacks.

Monday, July 04, 2016

This hike will definitely keep you huffing and puffing. Bring at least a gallon or more of water and plenty to eat, you're going to need it. I got a late start but didn't intend to go as far as I did. I was making great time and decided to push on. I see where I stopped I still had a ways to go. But it is a good hike. It's gets rockier towards the top. Wildflowers are at the top. The views are amazing and there was plenty to see from where I was. The only huge obstacles were 2 huge boulders to get over or around. Be careful getting around that. That was towards top as you come out of the forest.

Saturday, July 02, 2016

Views views views!

The 2nd half of the hike is spectacular. Easily among my favorites in Washington.

I can see how this could be a hot hike on some days because of exposure but last Sunday was absolutely perfect, 70 degrees and a light breeze. Some snow to cross, but nothing major.

Well worth the work of the lower elevation switchbacks.

Tuesday, June 28, 2016

The switch backs are worth the view! The trail starts with several switchbacks through second growth forest. The vies are limited to the near by tree, but if you're quiet you can really enjoy this part too on a low traffic day. After the switchbacks you come to meadows with amazing views of the peaks all around you. There were still some snow patches to cross before reaching you summit. (They were easy and can be done in tennis shoes.) Once up top you really realize how far you've climbed and how small we are as people. This is a great hike for the weekend warrior.

BRING WATER

Monday, June 20, 2016

A little of everything, meadows (or snow fields), second growth, great views of Big Four, Vesper, Pilchuck, Rainier. Be prepared for the difficulty, especially in early season.

Friday, May 06, 2016

Great views at top. still snow covered the last mile and a half or so. Which made for a pretty solid leg day. Getting pretty slushy. Lots of thin snow covering melt run off. might wanna give it another month. Wouldn't wanna risk injury with all of summer just ahead.

Thursday, November 05, 2015

Just went up 11/4/15 at around 9:00am. Got to the top at 11:30. Trail was great through the woods. Plenty of switchbacks. About half way in the trail became icy and there was tons of snow. With the right shoes this trail is still 100% enjoyable. May want to think about bringing poles or a traction system for your shoes.

Saturday, September 19, 2015

Absolutely beautiful - especially with fall colors coming in. No bugs. Not easy but very do-able. Just the right intensity for me. Very easy to get to w good roads all the way.

Tuesday, August 18, 2015

The trail is at least 4.3 miles in per sign at trail head, so 8.6 miles round trip. My gps on my phone said I did 13 miles total, but we did quite a bit of exploring at the top. There are lots of little well-groomed off trails in flat areas where the views are stunning. The place is magical, and with 70 degree weather on a Monday afternoon in August, it wasn't crowded. Plenty of room at the top to get privacy and there were at least 3-4 other groups when we got there. We only passed 2-3 groups coming in. I'm not a camper and this place had me wanting to spend the night. My husband and I stayed at the top for over an hour and had the place to ourselves. We were scrambling to get down the mountain before it got dark in the tree cover. We made it out just in time around 8:30pm. It took us 2 hours to climb and 2 hours down, but the only real break we took was at top. I felt like I was in Jurassic park. Love this mountain!

Monday, August 10, 2015

Awesome hike! Wild blueberries, huckleberry and Thimbleberry, Black bears and a breathtaking view

Saturday, July 04, 2015

Moderate hike in 90 degree weather, made it a little challenging, but absolutely worth it. Amazing 360° views! This trail is listed on WTA site as 8.2 miles. My friend got 9.5 on his GPS. Whichever; it is definitely NOT 5.8 miles.

Wednesday, July 01, 2015

Not a beginner trail! It was pretty strenuous to the top but once you did it was worth it. After you get through some switchbacks there are some very scenic meadows and the summit it unbelievable. You can see as far south as Tacoma and Mt. Rainier, north to Mt. Baker and most of the Olympic peninsula. Bring sunscreen!