Mount Defiance and Mason Lake Trail

Mount Defiance and Mason Lake Trail is a 10 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near North Bend, Washington that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Hike to the top of Mt. Defiance for views of surrounding alpine lakes

This was done October 14, 2017. The trail getting to Mason lake was gorgeous, fall colors everywhere. 2 miles into the hike the view was spectacular, there were about 2 inches of snow. After Mason Lake I suggest you bring Microspikes, over 2 feet of snow on the trail. The trail was easy to find. We didn't make it to the summit of Mt Defiance. We decide on a group decision to stop here about 500ft before the summit. There weren't any boot path to lead us the way, It took us 7.5 hours of hiking. Over 11 miles out and back, gained over 3,200ft of elevation.

Nice hike some snow on the ground as you get close to mount defiance

I love this hike. Mason Lake is SUPERB in the summer. I loved swimming there. I went to Mt. Defiance when there was still just a little snow on the ground and the views were fun. Since it's combined with Mason Lake, this is a really worthy hike. I'd do it again in the summer and get an even earlier start and bring even more food for chilling at the lake. I think you can camp there too, which would be awesome.

Arrived at 7:20 AM with plenty of space to park, about 20 vehicles in the parking lot. Trail was great, ascended to Mason Lake quickly and saw plenty of campers. Continued on to Mt Defiance and reached the top fairly quickly. I was joined by about five or six other people in the twenty minutes I spent up there before I started to descend. I was surprised at the lack of people ascending past Mason Lake, but once I got back to Mason Lake I noticed much larger crowds. I took a dip in the chilly waters, which was refreshing, and then made my way back to the car. On the way back I passed a large number of people who I assume were going to Mason Lake, and once back to the parking lot (around 1pm) it was completely full with the spillout running way down the forest road. I enjoyed this trail but would recommend getting there around 8 AM to enjoy the trail in a little more peace.

Went up there today 08/25/2015, parked at Ira spring trailhead parking lot was almost full at 8:57am. Trail is very well marked till Mason Lake and once you reach at lake stay on the main trail and after half a mile you will see a signs directing towards Mount defiance. Last mile was steep but doable. Took 1 hour 40 minutes to Mason lake and 1 more hour to mount defiance. 2 hours to decent down to Parking lot. Used hiking poles to decent. Make sure bring plenty of water.
Best of luck

Hiked 8/12/17. This was my third time to the trail. First was up to Lake Mason; second we crawled over and under large trees blown down by winter storm for 3 miles just to trailhead and another 1.5 on the trail (total obstacle course); this time we went past lake up Mt Defiance. Defiance was challenging and wooded for part of it before exiting into a meadow that was filled with beautiful wild flowers. To reach the summit, the last ~150ft of gain was very steep.

People swimming in lake as we descended; nice campgrounds around lake area for backpackers. I only gave this trail 4 stars due to the crowds, but an awesome hike nevertheless!

Hiked 7/23/17 - BRING BUG SPRAY. We were blown away by how many cars were parked, but most were going to mason lake. Pretty busy all the way to the lake, not super hard hiking but makes you sweat. The last few miles to mount defiance were so beautiful, and minimal people. The last half mile is killer but totally worth it. The bugs were SO bad at the top, we rushed to take a few pictures and get out of there, they were even driving the dog nuts. Bugs at the lake were annoying but nothing compared to the peak. Overall super fun!

Hiked at night with flashlight to summit to watch sunrise. Total fog at sunrise and millions of biting flies on the top. Pretty coming back down though! Way too many day hikers coming up to Mason Lake.

Amazing Trail to Mason Lake. With the exception of the gigantic swarm of mosquitos that won't stop bothering you (bring a repellant☺).