For a limited time only, save 30% on a year of AllTrails Pro!
Get Started
Learn more

Mount Catherine (#1348) is a 3.1 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Snoqualmie Pass, Washington that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Length 3.1 mi Elevation gain 1,309 ft Route type Out & Back

Waypoints (0)
Facilities
Contact
Getting There

Please note that during the winter the road to the trailhead may be closed. Please check with the USFS before visiting during winter.

There is a widening in the road to park. No permit required. No toilet available.

Okanogan-Wenatchee National Forest Cle Elum Ranger District 803 W. 2nd Street Cle Elum, WA 98922 (509) 852-1100

Take I-90 Exit 54. Turn right, then immediately go strait at the stop sign. You're now on Hyak Dr. E. Simply take this all the way around, past the ski lifts and some of the cabin homes. Eventually it turns into a gravel road and FR 9070. You'll take this road all the way up towards Mount Catherine trailhead. The trailhead is about 4 miles from when the gravel starts, and about 4.5 miles from the freeway. There is a little stake marked 1348 on the right side of the road.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (219)
Photos (221)
Recordings (173)
Completed (422)
Katie Silashki
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 8, 2020
Hiking

Gorgeous views on a clear day! Consistent climb but short and sweet. Wonderfully soft, spongy trail- not too rocky. Plenty of shade along the way. Rough road getting out there- we parked a mile from the trail head because of the rocky road and potholes.

Laura Ellington
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 6, 2020
HikingBugs

Nice trail. Beautiful views. Mosquitoes at the summit. We parked 1.5 mi down before the hairpin turn to avoid the big washouts described in previous reviews, so we came in right at 6 mi round trip

Terri Cunningham
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 5, 2020
View Terri's Recording
James Whitman
View James's Recording
Maddy M
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 4, 2020
HikingGreat!ScrambleSnow
Katy B
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 2, 2020
Hiking

Trail was good! First quarter mile is pretty rocky, but then it becomes easier to travel on. It’s a great trade off a nice short, but moderately steep trail, with awesome views as the reward. One star off because of bad road conditions. The forest road up isn’t too bad for the first few miles, some big potholes, but most cars should be able to manage going slowly and carefully. The last mile and a half or so of road has several pretty significant washouts that would be unsafe in anything but a high clearance vehicle.....and even then it might just be a better bet to park lower down and walk the extra miles rather than risk damaging your car.

View Katy's Recording
Kay-dub Myers Brewer
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 2, 2020

I agree the road up has alot of pot holes. Once you get past the first washout area it gets a little better. The trail starts fairly steep with some loose rocks then moves into the wooded area. Just over a mile we reached the ridge walk area with views of granite mountain. Then the trail tucks back into the wooded area again. The last little scramble to the top wasn't to bad. Once we reached the top we were in ahhh with the views over looking Mount Rainer, Granite Mountain and snoqualmie pass. This is a beautiful view from the top and well worth the hike up. I am proud of my 8 year old daughter for getting up to early yesterday morning to hike this steep hike with me.

Lutz Gerhard
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 1, 2020

Awesome. Easy.

View Lutz's Recording
Danielle Watson
HikingRocky
View Danielle's Recording
Stepherton F
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 1, 2020

trail good, road bad

View Stepherton's Recording
Seattle Wayne
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 30, 2020
HikingBlowdownBugsRockyScramble

I've officially added a "night hike" to my resume of hiking. I chose Mount Catherine because it's a short hike to the summit meaning I'll spend considerably less time trying to get down. It took me just under an hour to get to the top and about 50 minutes to get down. The service road to the trailhead, as many have stated in other trip reports is a little rough. There are a couple of spots where the trail is washing out exposing some rocks and large dips in the road. I've driven this road in both a four-door sedan and the ol' Dodge Ram 4x4, both made it but the sedan took some damage. If you have a high clearance vehicle, I would recommend driving up in that. The potholes are not terrible. Obviously you'll have to slow down for them but they aren't too bad. At the trailhead, there is a small pullout large enough for a few vehicles, (depending on how people park) but further up there is another pullout that can be utilized. On a busy day, I'd say the road is wide enough to handle 6-7 cars without any problems. The hike began around 6:30pm and the temperature was about 87 degrees. The trail is well groomed, very rocky and full of roots but that's typical terrain behavior for the Mount Baker/Snoqualmie area. Just watch your footing coming down because there are plenty of rocks that can skitter underneath your hiking shoes/boots/whatever that'll cause ankle rolls, etc. Once at the summit, the views were amazing. Silver Peak and Mount Rainier stood tall to the south as Granite Mountain, Kaleetan, Chair, Bessemer and a few others I could not identify stood to the North. I could actually see the lookout on Granite. As the sun faded to the West, the bugs died down as the winds from the South picked up. There was supposed to be a thunderstorm but it never happened while I was up there. After the sun dropped down, the stars started to illuminate the sky as well as the moon. It was really amazing and a great experience. I waited 'til about 950pm before I started to gear up and switch on head lamps. The only spot I was concerned about was the small scramble up to the summit. There are hand lines that seemed secure enough to assist your descent but I didn't trust them fully. I used trekking poles and a side step down maneuver to get down and I did just fine. Someone reported a nest of Brown Recluse but I didn't see any of that. Without the sun, the forest section is pitch black. I used my headlamp intermittently because as soon as I clicked it on the bugs attacked my face. I had one person behind me giving me ample backlight and two people in front of me shining the way down. I would recommend flash lights instead of headlamps. If anyone has other recommendations of night hikes they've done, I'd love to read about them. This was a great experience and not as scary as I thought it was going to be. I posted a video and a few pictures- the video has some of the climb down in near pitch black. Really, really cool.

Alex Kolio
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 29, 2020
HikingGreat!
View Alex's Recording
Rahul Devanarayanan
HikingRockyScramble

Gorgeous trail with great views even at the beginning. Very different terrain and foliage than western side of the cascades or the olympics. Fun mini ascent/scramble at the end for a great view of Keechelus, Rainier, and the valley. Mind your hands before you plant them, we saw a brown recluse on our downclimb from the summit. Be aware that without significant clearance and decent suspension, you will have to pull over ~1.5 miles before the trailhead and walk up the road. In general the 4 miles of road prior to that stoppage are also very much in need of repair, but we made it through the first segment in a subcompact with no concerning scrapes. Go slow and path around/through the dips intelligently.

View Rahul's Recording
Leslie Barron
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 26, 2020
HikingRocky
View Leslie's Recording
Rachel Henty
HikingBugsMuddyRockyScramble

Great trail! Short but quite a leg burner! Road up, like everyone said, is tough but SUVs are no problem. We still parked 1.5 miles down at the hairpin and added the 3 miles to our hike for fun. Only a few others up there! Would definitely do again!

Madi Kipley
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 20, 2020
HikingBugsScrambleWashed out
View Madi's Recording
Tara McCray
Hiking

Rough road and muddy hike but totally worth it! Not crowded at all and really fun with our dogs.

Lydia Knoll
HikingMuddy

Awesome hike- a bit of a climb to the top but the views are well worth it, especially on a clear day. Bugs could get a bit bad at the summit but otherwise the trail was shaded and comfortable. There were many wild blueberry bushes near the peak that will ripen in the next few weeks! NOTE: The road up to the trailhead has many potholes, so go slow. About 1.5 miles from the trailhead there is a very rocky patch that only certain cars can make it over without damage - expect to park and add the (easy) mileage to the hike.

Stephanie Bloch
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 19, 2020
Hiking

7.19.2020: GPS coordinates are correct but the trail itself just has a small marker on the side of the road. Once you hike in about 1/10 of a mile you’ll see a sign that says Mt. Catherine trailhead. It’s a steep climb for 1.5 miles and a quick scramble to the top but the views are breathtaking. The road to the trail is about 5 miles of gravel with several washouts and potholes. Vehicles that aren’t AWD and clearance like an SUV should park about 1.5 miles from the trailhead because your car will bottom out if you continue the entire way.