Mount Catherine (#1348)

Mount Catherine (#1348) is a 2.8 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Snoqualmie Pass, Washington that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

snowboarding

Take I-90 Exit 54. Turn right, then immediately go strait at the stop sign. You're now on Hyak Dr. E. Simply take this all the way around, past the ski lifts and some of the cabin homes. Eventually it turns into a gravel road and FR 9070. You'll take this road all the way up towards Mount Catherine trailhead. The trailhead is about 4 miles from when the gravel starts, and about 4.5 miles from the freeway. There is a little stake marked 1348 on the right side of the road.

Fresh snow for an excellent first snowshoe of the season! Short distance (made longer by having to park 1.5 miles from trailhead) but a healthy angle made for a glute-slayer in snowshoes. The fire road there is riddled with pot holes and snow so my Outback didn’t make it to the trailhead — snow tires or chains recommended. Caught a quick glimpse of a spectacular view and blue skies at the top though!

Best hike ever!! It was so perfect and the way the clouds shifted we were able to stay up there for hours because the scene would be always changing. The hike was pretty easy just when I went there was a lot of slush and snow and so it was slippery and wet.

I did this hike on a foggy, drippy day. After getting very lost driving to the trailhead, the trail was pretty easy, but I couldn't see any views at the top. Definitely go on a clear day. It isn't worth the drive if you can't see the top - even though it was a pleasant hike. ...I'll do it again someday since the climb was nice.

9/7/2017 (Thursday) -- A sunny, mild day, but densely smoky, 68-72F, no view, no traffic. Very difficult and dangerous drive to/from the TH. The trail is in good condition, not rocky, not rooty, not muddy, gently grade, short distance. Only several steep steps up to the top.

Saturday 9-2-2017: My wife and I hiked to Mt. Catherine. There were about 10 cars at the trailhead when we arrived at around 10:30 am. We parked right next to the trailhead. It took us an hour to get to the summit. The temperature was around 80 degrees F. We were glad that the trail was mostly shaded. It was fun to use the cable on the last short steep climb to the summit. There were six other people on the summit. Mount Rainier was visible. Good reward for a short hike. It took us 50 minutes to get back to our car. It was 85 F when we returned to our car.

Road up is very rough. Trail is in good condition. The summit is a little airy so not a good place to bring up young kids without heavy supervision. Views are great. This used to be a little known trail but despite the very rough road this trail is now very popular on weekend. Nice lighter hike.

Did this hike today and I have to agree with the other commenters, this hike is MUCH longer than what is stated. The road up also did tear my car up a bit as well. I am working on being able to do mailbox and thought this would be a nice easy hike to help get me in shape but I went into this one thinking it would be a lot easier than it was. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone new to hiking like I am but it is absolutely worth the 360 views at the top!