Mount Catherine (#1348)

Mount Catherine (#1348) is a 2.8 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Snoqualmie Pass, Washington that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

snowboarding

Take I-90 Exit 54. Turn right, then immediately go strait at the stop sign. You're now on Hyak Dr. E. Simply take this all the way around, past the ski lifts and some of the cabin homes. Eventually it turns into a gravel road and FR 9070. You'll take this road all the way up towards Mount Catherine trailhead. The trailhead is about 4 miles from when the gravel starts, and about 4.5 miles from the freeway. There is a little stake marked 1348 on the right side of the road.

9/7/2017 (Thursday) -- A sunny, mild day, but densely smoky, 68-72F, no view, no traffic. Very difficult and dangerous drive to/from the TH. The trail is in good condition, not rocky, not rooty, not muddy, gently grade, short distance. Only several steep steps up to the top.

Saturday 9-2-2017: My wife and I hiked to Mt. Catherine. There were about 10 cars at the trailhead when we arrived at around 10:30 am. We parked right next to the trailhead. It took us an hour to get to the summit. The temperature was around 80 degrees F. We were glad that the trail was mostly shaded. It was fun to use the cable on the last short steep climb to the summit. There were six other people on the summit. Mount Rainier was visible. Good reward for a short hike. It took us 50 minutes to get back to our car. It was 85 F when we returned to our car.

Road up is very rough. Trail is in good condition. The summit is a little airy so not a good place to bring up young kids without heavy supervision. Views are great. This used to be a little known trail but despite the very rough road this trail is now very popular on weekend. Nice lighter hike.

Did this hike today and I have to agree with the other commenters, this hike is MUCH longer than what is stated. The road up also did tear my car up a bit as well. I am working on being able to do mailbox and thought this would be a nice easy hike to help get me in shape but I went into this one thinking it would be a lot easier than it was. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone new to hiking like I am but it is absolutely worth the 360 views at the top!

Friday, September 16, 2016

Great 1/2 day hike. The forest road that leads to the trail head is no joke. I wouldn't attempt it in a car without the proper clearance. The trail is in excellent condition and the view at the top is awesome. The summit is a small ridge that you should definitely watch your footing on or else you'll find yourself hitting the forest a few hundred feet below. My only disappointment was that it wasn't longer. The drive from Seattle almost hit 2 hours and the hike was 90mins so the drive/hike ratio was a bit off for me.

Saturday, September 03, 2016

The hike itself was great. Steady but not steep inclines and relatively short, compared to others. Felt more like a four or five mile hike though, maybe that was with the ascent of the peak? Changes of scenery and lots of peek a boo views until you get to climb a short cable and reach the top... Breathtaking. Feels like you're on top of the world. Id do this hike several times if it was more accessible. But it took us three hours from the trailhead to get back to Seattle... And 45 minutes of it was on the gravel potholed road up the mountain to the trail. Tore my car up pretty good. It's a shame.

Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Sunday, July 24, 2016

This hike, not easy to find. Road was washed out in places and had very large potholes. Wouldn't recommend driving up it unless in some sort of truck, Subaru, jeep etc. Albeit beautiful, the trail had so many downed trees to climb over and go under. Also, it says 1.4 miles up... Everyone we spoke to on the trail all agreed it felt WAY longer and even on our phones tracked it at being almost 3 miles up not 1.4. When we completed the descent our phones said 5.7 miles somethings not right lol but great weather, beautiful wildflowers and amazing views at the top.