Mount Aix Trail

Mount Aix Trail is a 9.9 mile out and back trail located near Goose Prairie, Washington that offers scenic views and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and horses and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

From Yakima, drive west on Highway 410 to Bumping Lake Road (Forest Service Road 1800). Turn left and drive 14 miles to Forest Service Road 1808. Turn left and drive 1.5 miles to the signed trailhead on the left side of the road.

Really awesome views, but be prepared for some tricky snow navigation and scrambling. Waterproof hiking boots and gaiters and hiking poles a must; an ice axe would have been really helpful too. See detailed trip report at

Attempted this trail on the Saturday after memorial day 2017. It began well but at 5600ft and 2.28 miles in, the trail vanished under several feet of snow which still remains at the higher elevations. With no map we deemed it unsafe to wander around aimlessly in attempts to get any higher up to Nelson Ridge and Aix. Hopes to complete this later in the year. Also, I have no clue to what the actual length of the trail is. The USFS trail book that I read list it at about 6 miles one way or 12 miles round trip.

Monday, August 17, 2015

Allow enough time to complete this hike...beautiful panoramic views on top. Highly recommend. Chances of seeing mountain goats is pretty good

Sunday, January 11, 2015

A great hike. Did this one when camping at the bumping lake camp grounds and had a great time! Finished it in the middle of July, and it had and amazing view of Mount Baker, and of Mt Rainier both! Definitely worth the pain it took to get up. It's a pretty easy scramble to the summit. I would Definitely recommend this trail!

Monday, July 28, 2014

First off, what a beautiful view from the top. With that said, what a brutal trail it was to get there... I'm just your everyday (not so serious) hiker and this trail almost broke me. There were a few cars parked on the trail head in the morning and the traffic was relatively light considering it's in the heart of Bumping Lake. We filled out our permit on the reader board and took off down the wide (but eventually narrowing) quarry spall lined trail. Immediately, the trail turns and we started our ascent. The trail took us over a few small water runs and a few open rock slide areas but it turned to switchback hell at about 1.5 miles and never stopped til the top. 5 miles into the hike and at the top of the ridge, my butt was kicked but not broken and I wanted to keep but going. Unfortunately, i underestimated the amount of time it would take me to reach the top resulting in my turning around and not being able to summit Aix but nevertheless, the views from Nelson Ridge were amazing and i got some great pictures to celebrate the incredible climb.